They ruined we are the world!!!

Ok, I just listened to the whole thing and now I can speak with knowledge.

Guys, it was pretty bad. Yes, very bad. The first was always kinda corny but it was so endearing and it had this unrelenting charm that made you feel for it. And it was uplifting and made you feel like you really could make a difference.

For the new one, I have to start by saying that I hate oversinging. I hate it, hate it. And Ihate it worse when it is done throughout the WHOLE song. There was a lot of oversinging in this song. There are many negatives about this song, but they are not necessary to focus on. Now for the good stuff.

I don't like rap either, but the best parts of this song was MJs part (you could hardly hear Janet. if they were going to have MJ do both of his parts, once alone and once with Janet, they should have just given the one they had to gether to her and let him sing the other verse by herself. Otherwise they have toned her down so much to let his soft voice through, it's like, why even have her sing?) and the rap with Will I Am and LL.

Ok so it is not that great. We can take it or leave it. it may be for grandstanding, but we can question all charitable acts as being such. (or most anyway). Whatever the motive, the end result is hopefully, that many people are helped. We can either support it or not.

Guys, it was pretty bad. Yes, very bad. The first was always kinda corny but it was so endearing and it had this unrelenting charm that made you feel for it. And it was uplifting and made you feel like you really could make a difference.

For the new one, I have to start by saying that I hate oversinging. I hate it, hate it. And Ihate it worse when it is done throughout the WHOLE song. There was a lot of oversinging in this song. There are many negatives about this song, but they are not necessary to focus on. Now for the good stuff.

I don't like rap either, but the best parts of this song was MJs part (you could hardly hear Janet. if they were going to have MJ do both of his parts, once alone and once with Janet, they should have just given the one they had to gether to her and let him sing the other verse by herself. Otherwise they have toned her down so much to let his soft voice through, it's like, why even have her sing?) and the rap with Will I Am and LL.

Ok so it is not that great. We can take it or leave it. it may be for grandstanding, but we can question all charitable acts as being such. (or most anyway). Whatever the motive, the end result is hopefully, that many people are helped. We can either support it or not.

I do support! :)

First of all, all of those "supposed" talent artist in one room and they couldn't write a NEW song for Haiti.

A new song could have stood on it's own merits, without comparing the new artist to the legends from the original recording.

This is EXACTLY what happens when folks try and mess with a classic, whether it be a movie or music.

Although it's for a good cause, it's just human nature that it would have been compared to a near perfect classic. One of more of those "talented" artist should have come up with a brand new song, in my opinion.

I thought it was quite good actually. Of course it in no way compares to the original. But I think they did a good job.

I actually think Celine Dions bit was better than the original Cyndi Lauper bit.

Was Stevie Wonder not there? I love his bit in the original We Are The World. Its the best bit after Michaels parts.

First of all, all of those "supposed" talent artist in one room and they couldn't write a NEW song for Haiti.

A new song could have stood on it's own merits, without comparing the new artist to the legends from the original recording.

This is EXACTLY what happens when folks try and mess with a classic, whether it be a movie or music.

Although it's for a good cause, it's just human nature that it would have been compared to a near perfect classic. One of more of those "talented" artist should have come up with a brand new song, in my opinion.

There is more hype behind a re-recording of We Are The World, as I mentioned before. Therefore it gains more interest and more buys.

To be quite honest, if I had heard they were recording a new song I probably wouldnt have even listened to it. But because they were re-recording We Are The World I looked into it. Many others will do the same.

Plus maybe they were aware that if they wrote a new song it would probably end up being terrible. In general, a 2010 version of We Are The World just gains more attention and its easier to market.

You know, theres a thread about this in the 2000 watts section. Everyone seems to be a lot more fair and rational about the whole thing down there. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:
all i got to say is...forget it..trash..should have been left alone.i seen when michael and the rest poured their hearts out..for real.this is a cheap,jump on the lime light,disgusting.write something new for the heartbreak of haiti,michael made it .disrespectful.he loves our world,he loves the children..but to redo with these teeny boppers with no talent..i could throw up!!!!!

5n3dio.gif

I hope the people get the help they need first and foremost.....
but this song is just.......this was so lazy.

I am still in disbelief at the horror.

I actually think Celine Dions bit was better than the original Cyndi Lauper bit.

stevieg.gif

??? Are you trying to say im crazy for thinking Celine Dion is a better singer than Cyndi Lauper? She sang it much better. Ive never liked Cyndi Laupers part, ive actually played it for people and they have cringed a little. Especially following Michaels beautiful line.

Please dont try and pass my remark of as crazy. Celine Dion is simply a million times better singer than Cyndi Lauper. I think thats obvious to anyone.

Last edited:
Justin Bieber??? I don't even know who he is!!!!!!!!

Justin Bieber??? I don't even know who he is!!!!!!!!

Me neither. Well I didnt, until a load of girls I heard were saying how cute he was. Apparently thats all it takes to become successful these days haha

i know the song is for a good cause..but the original would have been more appropriate... this remake is bad ..im sorry ..what the heck would they add a rap to it!!??? the rap reminded me of marillyn manson!!!!! also what the heck is with the one guys vocals sounds like he was shaken up or riding in a very bumpy car ride lol ... i will not be getting this song ill stick to the original!!!:yes:

Celine Dion is simply a million times better singer than Cyndi Lauper. I think thats obvious to anyone.
I like Cyndi better as a singer. Celine is like Michael Bolton to me. They might be good singers, but they're bland and I can't listen to them, lol. Cyndi has a quirky vocal and musical style that is more interesting.

do u think they should have rereleased the original for its 25th aniviversry?
plus the have the making of the original we are the world dvd at walmart

??? Are you trying to say im crazy for thinking Celine Dion is a better singer than Cyndi Lauper? She sang it much better. Ive never liked Cyndi Laupers part, ive actually played it for people and they have cringed a little. Especially following Michaels beautiful line.

Please dont try and pass my remark of as crazy. Celine Dion is simply a million times better singer than Cyndi Lauper. I think thats obvious to anyone.

I actually think Cyndi did it better though. Its just the attitude in her voice I think makes her better for THAT part. I love Celine though.

I think the most people who will have difficulty with this new version are older adults and those who don't listen to hip hop/R&B. Do I think the vocal talent is better on the original?Yes! However, I think this one is appropriate because music has changed from the 80s. I love it, and I can't stop listening to it especially the rap portion.

If I happened to post a comment on WATW remake, I would love to re comment again. Hmm,it seems that I kinda like the song as I listen to it more. I like the opening with Justin. He has that child like voice that sorta reminded me of the children choir WATW. OMG, Janet & Michael..perfect ! Almost brought me in tears. Janet has the soft voice to harmonize with Michael's !! Amazing !! Perfect Duet ! :cry: I miss him more and I love Janet !!!I love Josh Groban's singing style. V original too :) But Yes, nothing beats the original :)

I love you Michael, Thank you for the music !!!

Last edited:
Since when does Kim Kardashian sing? :D
I think you're confusing her with Nicole Scherzinger ;) Kim isn't on the song.

I'm not a fan of this remake. It really burns me that Sony and no one supported Michael w/ releasing What More Can I Give and Michael's Katrina charity song, but now that he's gone and suddenly 'hot,' all of a sudden it's "let's release a Michael charity song!"

Michael was singing about 'all the colors of the world' coming together way back in 1980's Can You Feel It, well before it became trendy. He was a prophet! I think a lot of these celebrities, in contrast, are big phonies. Eminem and Lil' Wayne? For Real? Aside from their disgusting non-peaceful lyrics, after what they've said/done about Michael, now they support his project? You could add Quincy to the list w/ all of the junk he talked about Michael before he died ("Been there done that" when asked if he would want to work w/ Michael again, yet here he is), and much worse since. Most of those 'celebrities' were virtual ghosts during 2005 when Michael needed them most.

I hope it raises money for Haiti as it's obviously needed there, and I'm sure some of the celebrities have good intentions, but as an 'artistic work' I don't like it one bit, nor do I like how it reminds me of what a bunch of hypocrites the media and these celebrities are for having acted the way they did for the last 15 yrs or so of Michael's life.
:clapping:

This is horrible, it's a disgrace to music and this really shows just how much mainstream music has gone down hill over the years when you compare this to the original back in 1985.

I take back what I said.

I found the video to be amazing. When I first caught a glimpse of a video I saw nothing or heard nothing from Michael and thought they took him out entirely. Seeing how he was still a part of it and how these other artists came out to do something to help Heal The World is inspiring. It's not the same without Michael being here with us but his message is still being sent out. It's times like these when other artists come together or when anyone comes together to try and make the world a better place that I feel we should be happy about it. It hurts at times when it's one of Michael's songs that is being used and it's other artists singing his music but it's for a wonderful cause and I know Michael is very happy that even though he's not here on Earth he's still able to have a part in Healing the World.

Last edited:

I loved Cyndi's part better. I loved when she came in with, "Well, well, well, well..." Her voice is great. She is not a better technical singer than Celine, but she definitely rocks her part better than Celine. I actually cringed when I heard Celine's part (but that was in comparison to Cyndi):yes:

Me neither. Well I didnt, until a load of girls I heard were saying how cute he was. Apparently thats all it takes to become successful these days haha

Well, that's true!...unfortunately...

I want to start off by saying this record was made with the best of intentions, and I admire them for that.

BUT, I have to say I don't like this version at all. The only stand outs for me were Celine and Pink. Justin Bieber opening? NICOLE from the Pussycat Dolls? She kept turning up in the video! Miley Cyrus no offence to her gives me a headache with her voice.
Far too much rapping for me.
Enrique? Adam Levine? Jamie Foxx?
And OMG I can't believe a legend such as Brian Wilson was relegated to mere second-long glimpses in the crowd..

Why were there only US and Canadian artists in the song?

What did you guys think of Michael being in it and the Michael/Janet bit?

Oh I also kind of liked Lil' Wayne's bit ending with "just you and me." It was different!

I want to start off by saying this record was made with the best of intentions, and I admire them for that.

BUT, I have to say I don't like this version at all. The only stand outs for me were Celine and Pink. Justin Bieber opening? NICOLE from the Pussycat Dolls? She kept turning up in the video! Miley Cyrus no offence to her gives me a headache with her voice.
Far too much rapping for me.
Enrique? Adam Levine? Jamie Foxx?
And OMG I can't believe a legend such as Brian Wilson was relegated to mere second-long glimpses in the crowd..

Why were there only US and Canadian artists in the song?

What did you guys think of Michael being in it and the Michael/Janet bit?

Oh I also kind of liked Lil' Wayne's bit ending with "just you and me." It was different!

U sayin' all of this above in the first quote I made and then you like Lil Wayne's ending part? I just can't understand that... It was autotuning, I hate this and it is nothing about talent when you just go and make autotuning cuz you know that you can't sing!
Well, we all are humans and have our different opinions, so it's common!... :)

By the way, to answer your question - I liked that MJ hasn't been forgotten and been put in the video. The Janet part was bad and unnecessary, tho'! They should've let her sing, you can barely hear her...!

U sayin' all of this above in the first quote I made and then you like Lil Wayne's ending part? I just can't understand that... It was autotuning, I hate this and it is nothing about talent when you just go and make autotuning cuz you know that you can't sing!
Well, we all are humans and have our different opinions, so it's common!... :)

By the way, to answer your question - I liked that MJ hasn't been forgotten and been put in the video. The Janet part was bad and unnecessary, tho'! They should've let her sing, you can barely hear her...!

lol I know, maybe it's my guilty pleasure to like Lil' Wayne's part :lol:
I felt bad about being what I thought was too negative too!
Yeah you couldn't hear Janet.

Come on... it was the good kind of cheese... :D

Also, Janet being there was kinda pointless... to be honest.... -_-
Exactly, it was unnecessary as one couldn't hear her voice anyways. The split screen looked cheap. -_-

This is horrible, it's a disgrace to music and this really shows just how much mainstream music has gone down hill over the years when you compare this to the original back in 1985.

This!!

I feel like they played dirty to get people to buy the song

they showed the Haitian footage and put Michael in it (Even though it wasnt gonna happen in the first place!)

Michael I'm so sorry they did your baby wrong.

Justin Bieber!??, Miley Cyrus!!?? , Nick Jonas!!??? WTF!!!!!!!

I can't stand this, why get talentless people to ruin a classic song and what is up with the upbeat tune?

I agree!
It's disgusting!
Even the 84 original isn't the highlight of music, but it is at least very beautiful. This remake is - a have no words to describe it...

talk about non rational thinking..lol

obviously, you are as subjective as anyone else..

Lauper had one of the greatest voices i ever heard. sometimes, i would compare it to Patti Labelle.

in the original recording, Cyndi had a rawness, that couldn't be matched by Dion. yet Dion had a power that was smooth, that couldn't be matched by Lauper. so, they are two different, but titanic voices(no pun intended). and one is not a million times better than the other.

Last edited:

Well that's your opinion and I will say nothing more.

I will say that I hate how Dion completly mocked Cyndi's part, Cyndi added a raw twist...why did Celine have to sing it the same way???
As we all know Michael sang that part in demo different than Lauper so that says alot.

I will say that I hate how Dion completly mocked Cyndi's part, Cyndi added a raw twist...why did Celine have to sing it the same way???

Maybe she didn't want to mess with something that was already good?
"It it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I think it's admirable she did that. It shows she liked and respected the original.

Maybe she didn't want to mess with something that was already good?
"It it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I think it's admirable she did that. It shows she liked and respected the original.

I love Celine Dion.....but I think she broke it.

lol you are all so hell bent on not liking the song either way so it doesn't matter what the intent was for the stars to do this remake.

You are all mad because it was Ritchie's idea and not Michael's.

Back