They ruined we are the world!!!

off the wall,thriller,bad and we are the world with MJ made Quincy Jones even larger than life. he was big,but after MJ he became a towering pressence in areas he didn't have a footing in before. and i said Post MJ what has he done? yeah he was on the grammy voting commitee and bought 6 grammys for Back on the block. and since then what?

Well of course he peaked with MJ. Who wouldnt reach there peak when working with MJ? Of course you can only go backwards after that. It would be an insult to Michael to have expected Quincy to do anything equal to or better than what he did with Michael.

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air was hugely popular I guess.

Why oh why do they choose to cover songs sung/written by Michael?!?

Oh yeah...it's cos he's a legend and a genious! :p

I'm not fond of the cover version, but at least it's for charity! I just hope that the profit does go to Haiti and not into a black hole so to speak.

well....I just heard it on the radio for the first time and we were right......it still sucked....:ninja:,,,,why oh why ...do they try to remake perfection??....fail big time.

That is quite illogical (I was just watching Star Trek). It only stands to reason that a remake of something will be judged according to the original. Of course we are going to judge it based on how well it is able tostand up to it.

But also even on it's on, without the comparison, just looking at it's on artistry, it still was pretty bad. But like I said before, you can either support it or not. There is more than one way to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.:)

You're taking it too literally :) I'm not saying don't compare them at all, I'm just saying don't compare this one to the original expecting that it'd be similar, it'll never hold up. How was it bad looking at artistry? I don't get that statement.

well....I just heard it on the radio for the first time and we were right......it still sucked....:ninja:,,,,why oh why ...do they try to remake perfection??....fail big time.

i honestly think it's because they simply couldn't write a new one.

those who say that it's not a good idea to write a new one cus no one will listen...geez...who is gunna have a career based on that kind of unwarranted fear? MJ didn't live by that fear. and he scored a guiness, because of that.

the majority of MJ fans like new material. and MJ fans make up much of the planet. and MJ fans have much influence, cus they got the media's attention on many issues. so it ain't about the general public overruling MJ fans, when it comes to these issues.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631903/20100214/jay_z.jhtml

AS -- "We Are the World: 25 for Haiti," the all-star remake of the classic 1985 charity single, premiered on Friday night during the Winter Olympics opening ceremony. The song features dozens of today's biggest musical artists, ranging from Kanye West and Pink to Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett, and unlike the original, it also features a large number of rappers. However, the genre's biggest star said that to him, musically speaking, nothing could ever come close to the original.

"I have a interesting take on that," Jay-Z said Saturday at the annual "2 Kings" dinner, which was sponsored by Sprite and Bing and took place during NBA All-Star weekend. "I know everybody is gonna take this wrong: 'We Are the World,' I love it, and I understand the point and think it's great. But I think 'We Are the World' is like [Michael Jackson's] 'Thriller' to me. I don't ever wanna see it touched. I'm a fan of music. I know the plight and everything that's going on in Haiti. I applaud the efforts: [Millions have been raised] through text [donations] to Haiti. So I appreciate the efforts and everything, but 'We are the World' is [musically] untouchable like 'Thriller' is untouchable. Some things are just untouchable. It was a valiant effort, but for me, it's gonna be untouchable."

Jay said he felt that a new song should have been written instead of re-creating the 1985 classic.

"I would have loved that idea better," he said. "As everyone knows, I have tremendous respect for Quincy Jones. Of course, I think he's genius, as everyone else does. [But] I think it's time for us to make a new [song]. I tried to do that with 'Stranded,' the song Jay, Rihanna and U2's Bono and the Edge premiered at the 'Hope for Haiti Now' telethon]. I didn't try to make 'We Are the World,' but I tried to make our take on how we felt."

Agree with Jay-z......they should had written a new song instead of reviving "we are the world"........it's should be a song that is untouchable........like thriller or Billie jean......it doesn't justify.....or even come close to the original........without MJ's touch....the magic is just not there......

Last edited:
Well of course he peaked with MJ. Who wouldnt reach there peak when working with MJ? Of course you can only go backwards after that. It would be an insult to Michael to have expected Quincy to do anything equal to or better than what he did with Michael.

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air was hugely popular I guess.

Like Quincy said, MJ and him rode eachother to the top. Quincy was a legend before he met MJ, and Thriller OTW, and Bad just cemented that. You don't win 20+ grammys by being average.

Like Quincy said, MJ and him rode eachother to the top. Quincy was a legend before he met MJ, and Thriller OTW, and Bad just cemented that. You don't win 20+ grammys by being average.

no doubt there are a lot of multi grammy legends. but Jones was in a regional category, mostly Jazz. Michael was a worldwide pop star, being compared to the Beatles, when he was little. He was already on top of the world. if it wasn't for Michael, nobody born in the past twenty five years, among the pop music audience, would know who Quincy Jones is. and let's face it. when Jones goes on speaking tours, the audience only asks him about one thing, eagerly. the other stuff about Jones, is just polite convo, and not much in the way of their knowledge.

no doubt there are a lot of multi grammy legends. but Jones was in a regional category, mostly Jazz. Michael was a worldwide pop star, being compared to the Beatles, when he was little. He was already on top of the world. if it wasn't for Michael, nobody born in the past twenty five years, among the pop music audience, would know who Quincy Jones is. and let's face it. when Jones goes on speaking tours, the audience only asks him about one thing, eagerly. the other stuff about Jones, is just polite convo, and not much in the way of their knowledge.

But MJ was never as big until Thriller. The Jackson 5 were popular, but the success of Thriller just put him on another level. It takes a genuis to make a genius, IMO. Quincy added something to MJ that Teddy and Rodney Jerkins couldn't do. I think alot of people who LISTENED to MJ in the past during 80s said that was his best work. However, I do think the changing in the guards needed to happen because the R&B 90s was a brillant era for black music.

But MJ was never as big until Thriller. The Jackson 5 were popular, but the success of Thriller just put him on another level. It takes a genuis to make a genius, IMO. Quincy added something to MJ that Teddy and Rodney Jerkins couldn't do. I think alot of people who LISTENED to MJ in the past during 80s said that was his best work. However, I do think the changing in the guards needed to happen because the R&B 90s was a brillant era for black music.

MJ was big before Thriller. he had met many presidents, and the Queen of England, when he was little. all he did, was continue with his success, when Thriller came out. Quincy didn't add anything to MJ. MJ added to Quincy. MJ was pop. he was on teen magazines. everything he did in thriller, he did when he was little. every magazine appearance he did after thriller...he did the same thing when he was little. people even sued him when he was little, like they're doing now.

MJ was always in the center of the universe. Quincy was in a corner of the universe. then Mj brought Quincy into the center of the universe with him. let's face it..jazz is a loved genre, but it's not considered the center of the universe, like pop music is. Quincy produced a pop song, called 'it's my party'. but still, the center of the universe still didn't know Jones. but after Michael, the center of the universe now knows Jones.

when kids appear on pop idol and american idol to do MJ music, and dance to it, it's not just thriller music, but the song dangerous, as well...and you are not alone..and other MJ songs from various albums with various producers, but MJ is always the centerpiece. the pop audience loves ALL of MJ's work. there are imitators out there doing MJ all the time, whether the song was co produced by Jones, or not.

besides...what put the thriller album over the top, had nothing to do with Jones. it had a little something to do with a couple of steps MJ took on a motown anniversary show in 1983

Last edited:
I've always wondered why each of those celebrities don't just give at least $1 million dollars each...I mean they have LOADS of money right? If they would each give just $1 million which shouldn't be much to them, then that would definitely make a HUGE difference instead of ruining such a good song and getting half of what they would get if they just gave that amount of money. -ends rant- :D

I've always wondered why each of those celebrities don't just give at least $1 million dollars each...I mean they have LOADS of money right? If they would each give just $1 million which shouldn't be much to them, then that would definitely make a HUGE difference instead of ruining such a good song and getting half of what they would get if they just gave that amount of money. -ends rant- :D

that's a good rant.

MJ was big before Thriller. he had met many presidents, and the Queen of England, when he was little. all he did, was continue with his success, when Thriller came out. Quincy didn't add anything to MJ. MJ added to Quincy. MJ was pop. he was on teen magazines. everything he did in thriller, he did when he was little. every magazine appearance he did after thriller...he did the same thing when he was little. people even sued him when he was little, like they're doing now.

MJ was always in the center of the universe. Quincy was in a corner of the universe. then Mj brought Quincy into the center of the universe with him. let's face it..jazz is a loved genre, but it's not considered the center of the universe, like pop music is. Quincy produced a pop song, called 'it's my party'. but still, the center of the universe still didn't know Jones. but after Michael, the center of the universe now knows Jones.

It doesn't matter if Quincy was known or not, he still contributed to music in a significant way and worked with plenty of legends outside of MJ including Frank sinatra. That is the main point. Michael didn't make Quincy nor the Jackson 5. Hell most people I know liked Jermaine and Jackie the most.

It doesn't matter if Quincy was known or not, he still contributed to music in a significant way and worked with plenty of legends outside of MJ including Frank sinatra. That is the main point. Michael didn't make Quincy nor the Jackson 5. Hell most people I know liked Jermaine and Jackie the most.

i know how much fun it is to say that. and how easier it is to say that MJ needed someone else's help, or others were on the same level as MJ, or MJ needed to be rescued musically, or financially, or whatever, or that Jones and MJ rode each other. or how some facetiously said they loved other Jacksons more.

the honesty is, if it wasn't for Michael, then, people today wouldn't know the rest of the Jackson family, or Jones, or any of these other producers. the media always focuses on MJ, more than any other celebrity. people take advantage of MJ's generosity, and take from him, as a result. they love to underrate him. belittle him. not give him his due credit.

the bottom line is, he is the biggest star on earth..even today. and the magic is with HIM, and on one else.

obvious honesty is refreshing for me. i don't mind giving someone else their due, when it's right in front of me. 'we are the world' is Michael Jackson. that's his music. and this remake is proof that Jones, Richie and all the others would not have a prayer, if MJ didn't wake up one morning, with that melody in his head.

i realize there are other people that find it uncomfortable that mJ has so much talent. but, like MJ, himself, L.O.V.E. is me being secure enough in myself to give recognition where it is due. where earth and all nature screams that it is due.

where all those groupies and fans chasing MJ every day of his life, say that it is due.

people know Quincy, today, because of some steps MJ took on motown 25. not because of what Quincy produced.

people know Quincy, today, because of some steps MJ took on motown 25. not because of what Quincy produced.
Many people know the producers Burt Bacharach, Lieber & Stoller, Phil Scector, George Martin, Timbaland, Mutt Lange, & Carole King and none of them produced Michael except George who produced The Man and Say Say Say.

Reactions: Nar
i know how much fun it is to say that. and how easier it is to say that MJ needed someone else's help, or others were on the same level as MJ, or MJ needed to be rescued musically, or financially, or whatever, or that Jones and MJ rode each other. or how some facetiously said they loved other Jacksons more.

the honesty is, if it wasn't for Michael, then, people today wouldn't know the rest of the Jackson family, or Jones, or any of these other producers. the media always focuses on MJ, more than any other celebrity. people take advantage of MJ's generosity, and take from him, as a result. they love to underrate him. belittle him. not give him his due credit.

the bottom line is, he is the biggest star on earth..even today. and the magic is with HIM, and on one else.

obvious honesty is refreshing for me. i don't mind giving someone else their due, when it's right in front of me. 'we are the world' is Michael Jackson. that's his music. and this remake is proof that Jones, Richie and all the others would not have a prayer, if MJ didn't wake up one morning, with that melody in his head.

i realize there are other people that find it uncomfortable that mJ has so much talent. but, like MJ, himself, L.O.V.E. is me being secure enough in myself to give recognition where it is due. where earth and all nature screams that it is due.

where all those groupies and fans chasing MJ every day of his life, say that it is due.

I didn't say MJ needed someones help. Many MJ fans knows the Jackons. Basicallty I am saying it is not all about Michael. MJ wrote the song WATW, but that was it. Lionel created the melodies for the song The song was actually changed during its production too. In addition, belittling other people talents because of MJ isn't going a great idea. Honestly, I like the new version better than the old one. The artist are people I can currently relate to.

Its one thing to be a MJ fan, but it would be nice to be objective in the process.

I didn't say MJ needed someones help. Many MJ fans knows the Jackons. Basicallty I am saying it is not all about Michael. MJ wrote the song WATW, but that was it. Lionel created the melodies for the song The song was actually changed during its production too. In addition, belittling other people talents because of MJ isn't going a great idea. Honestly, I like the new version better than the old one. The artist are people I can currently relate to.

Its one thing to be a MJ fan, but it would be nice to be objective in the process.

Yay. Your right. Unfortunately it never gets through to them though. Ive been trying constantly to get through to them for a long time.

first of all, MJ wrote the melody. and it wasn't changed. it's the same as his demo. secondly Lionel just changed some lyric in the verse. thirdly, no one is belittleing here...we're noticing the greatness of MJ.

Yay. Your right. Unfortunately it never gets through to them though. Ive been trying constantly to get through to them for a long time.

i noticed you said it was 'your job' to get through to us. hope ur being paid well.

if you don't like how we love Michael Jackson...as u said to me..i'm afraid you'll have to live with our opinions.

the honesty is, if it wasn't for Michael, then, people today wouldn't know the rest of the Jackson family, or Jones, or any of these other producers. the media always focuses on MJ, more than any other celebrity.

:mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello:

:mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello: :mello:

i expected your reaction, and i always will. but Janet was an actress in a comedy. then the 80's took over. and MJ made video history, and everybody danced in line...including MJ's sister, Janet.

if Michael was in the comedy show, and Janet had been the leader in the 80's, breaking that mtv barrier, and everybody danced in line, and MJ followed in her footsteps, i'm sure you would agree then, if i gave Janet the props i'm giving Michael, now. never mind that Janet, herself, said that she didn't want to ride Michael's coat tails, so she waited before she did a video with him (Scream)

and that is the gist of what we MJ fans have to deal with.

breaking that mtv barrier
There were other black acts on MTV before Mike, but they were rock which were their focus and not R&B like Mike & Rick James. Mike didn't do anything, CBS Records did by threatening to remove their other acts like Journey & Bruce Springsteen which were a lot of their programming and would have hurt the then new channel. That is the only reason they started showing "Billie Jean" which they had refused to show even though it was already in the pop top 10.

There were other black acts on MTV before Mike, but they were rock which were their focus and not R&B like Mike & Rick James. Mike didn't do anything, CBS Records did by threatening to remove their other acts like Journey & Bruce Springsteen which were a lot of their programming and would have hurt the then new channel. That is the only reason they started showing "Billie Jean" which they had refused to show even though it was already in the pop top 10.

indeed, it was a formality. it was his record company's job to do what they did. the artist is not supposed to do that. but MJ has to have the talent, so that the company could do that. so, yes, MJ broke the barrier. if cbs did what they did, and billie jean didn't do what it did, then people would say that MJ didn't break the barrier. they would not say that cbs records did not break the barrier. so..you can't have it both ways.

and, by the way...your comment on Bacharach and the other producers. surely, producer people or people who focus on that kind of stuff are going to focus on it. but, the mainstream public see Quincy Jones as THE man, when it comes to producers, now. that's why he was chosen, for the Olympics.

now, what black rock acts are you talking about, on mtv? (not that we're talking about the race situation, here...we're talking about the producer situation)

and MJ broke the music genre barrier on mtv, obviously.

i expected your reaction, and i always will. but Janet was an actress in a comedy. then the 80's took over. and MJ made video history, and everybody danced in line...including MJ's sister, Janet.

if Michael was in the comedy show, and Janet had been the leader in the 80's, breaking that mtv barrier, and everybody danced in line, and MJ followed in her footsteps, i'm sure you would agree then, if i gave Janet the props i'm giving Michael, now. never mind that Janet, herself, said that she didn't want to ride Michael's coat tails, so she waited before she did a video with him (Scream)

and that is the gist of what we MJ fans have to deal with.

FYI- Janet was on 2 sitcoms, not a comedy before the 80's take over (MJ's Thriller). Before then Janet debuted with her self-titled album. It was a mediocre success but she got a few hits off of it. This was all before MJ made 'video history' and everybody danced in line. Janet was a child star and teen idol before MJ reached his peak. The public knew her already not just for being MJ's sister but because of her acting fame and music.

Which MJ begged her do *bats eyelashes*

Sometimes I think people on here give MJ too much credit.

FYI- Janet was on 2 sitcoms, not a comedy before the 80's take over (MJ's Thriller). Before then Janet debuted with her self-titled album. It was a mediocre success but she got a few hits off of it. This was all before MJ made 'video history' and everybody danced in line. Janet was a child star and teen idol before MJ reached his peak. The public knew her already not just for being MJ's sister but because of her acting fame and music.

Which MJ begged her do *bats eyelashes*

Sometimes I think people on here give MJ too much credit.

no. we give MJ just the right amount of credit. what actually happens is people try to take credit away from him.

as far as Janet being a teen idol..na..she was one of many actresses in sitcoms, along with males in sitcoms. Janet blowing up, the way she did musically, happened after Thriller. and face it...she became world wide bigger doing those dances, than she was in the comedy shows. wayyy bigger.

in the comedy shows, she didn't stand out, any more than any other actress. she stood out for you, maybe, but not for people who are casual fans of entertainment.

me being wrong about how many sitcoms she was in says it all. the casual person isn't going to know what you know.

and if MJ begged her...well...he's her brother, and he's humble, that way. surely, Janet had to make the final decision.

Last edited:
no. we give MJ just the right amount of credit. what actually happens is people try to take credit away from him.

as far as Janet being a teen idol..na..she was one of many actresses in sitcoms, along with male actresses. Janet blowing up, the way she did musically, happened after Thriller. and face it...she became world wide bigger doing those dances, than she was in the comedy shows. wayyy bigger.

Nah. Y'all give him way too much credit.

She was a teen idol whether you like it or not. Janet was on Different Strokes and Fame which were very popular in the 80's, especially Fame. She was also a frequent face on magazines and other shows in the 80's. It's funny that you're trying to bunch her up with other actresses. People tuned in to see her. Trust that they wouldn't do this .....

[youtube]4NrzGp1i5fU[/youtube]

If she wasn't a teen idol nor VIP. Did Latoya receive this much attention? What about Jermaine? Marlon? Jackie? Tito? Nope.

Yes, she blew up after Thriller, point? If she recorded Control before Thriller then we would be saying otherwise. I guess you're trying to say MJ is the reason she even blew up. Dream on :)

Nah. Y'all give him way too much credit.

She was a teen idol whether you like it or not. Janet was on Different Strokes and Fame which were very popular in the 80's, especially Fame. She was also a frequent face on magazines and other shows in the 80's. It's funny that you're trying to bunch her up with other actresses. People tuned in to see her. Trust that they wouldn't do this .....

[youtube]4NrzGp1i5fU[/youtube]

If she wasn't a teen idol nor VIP. Did Latoya receive this much attention? What about Jermaine? Marlon? Jackie? Tito? Nope.

Yes, she blew up after Thriller, point? If she recorded Control before Thriller then we would be saying otherwise. I guess you're trying to say MJ is the reason she even blew up. Dream on :)

no, you take credit from MJ. even you admit she blew up after Thriller. many people appeared on those award shows.

back to the topic at hand.
the casual fan knows 'we are the world'. does the casual fan know about those videos you are digging up? doubt it. who is the first person people think about, when 'Different Strokes' is mentioned?(if casual fans think of that sitcom, at all, these days) is it Janet...or...is it Gary Coleman?

i'm sure you'll give the wrong answer.

i don't have to dream. you're on this site. i'm not on a Janet site.

first of all, MJ wrote the melody. and it wasn't changed. it's the same as his demo. secondly Lionel just changed some lyric in the verse. thirdly, no one is belittleing here...we're noticing the greatness of MJ.

i noticed you said it was 'your job' to get through to us. hope ur being paid well.

if you don't like how we love Michael Jackson...as u said to me..i'm afraid you'll have to live with our opinions.

Yes exactly 'my job'. Its a figure of speech...and you know that:smilerolleyes:

Its not the actual opinion I have a problem with. Its what the opinion is fueled by.

Its fueled by protection over MJ and his legacy.

Last edited:
Back