SONY REFUSE TO RELEASE 'THIS IS IT' SINGLE : Feedback Form Inside

Sony is exactly doing what any other big recording company (with years of knowledge about their business) would do nowadays - we're living in 2009, wake up, times have changed, the whole music business is making a complete shift!

Producing a physical Single is absolutely useless for them in terms of net income
- and that's what a company is pursuing after in the end.

Albums: physical + digital
Singles: digital, Airplay

that's the new standard, and "This Is It" is no exception

Such a thread only shows that most people don't understand how the business actually works.

well you forgot that Michael Jackson is a global thing and those standards apply only to a part of the world where digital music is available to buy through iTunes (23 countries only).

since physical singles are dying out in general and are not being produced anymore, releasing This Is It in a digital format means that only a part of Michael Jackson's fans would be able to buy it legally.

it would be unfair to ignore his huge fanbase from the rest of the world that don't have access to iTunes music store. these fans would have to pay around 20$ to get a brand new MJ song (plus 15 tracks they already have on several CDs) whereas people who happen to have access to iTunes could get it separately for 0,99$.

and because Michael Jackson has a huge fanbase around the world like any other artist i think Sony can't just ignore that group, as they may do in case of less recognised globally artists. they have to give all fans the same options.

Michael Jackson is bigger and more global than iTunes and this whole situation just shows how much music industry stuck in the 20th century still.

Last edited:
Sony must know that several people bought BEST OF's after MJ's passing.. Meaning the general public that would be interested in hearing new MJ material - a high majority will have a best of's all ready and would not buy a 2 disc album for ONE song. us FANS will for the most part, but not nearly as many people as it would be if it were released on its own.. MAYBE they will release it at a later time.. Like a couple weeks after the album is out! they are saying NO now, but could be a sales tactic to get the album, then release it for large profit..

The only problem with that is that Michael didint sing live for TII. If so, they would have sold the Soundtrack with LIVE vocals. People would have bought it even if the single TII was avaible as a single

But now we know MJ didint sing live or sounded not good, they have to release originals masters and the only thing that is worth it to buy is the new song. So they cant release it as a single.

The only problem with that is that Michael didint sing live for TII. If so, they would have sold the Soundtrack with LIVE vocals. People would have bought it even if the single TII was avaible as a single

But now we know MJ didint sing live or sounded not good, they have to release originals masters and the only thing that is worth it to buy is the new song. So they cant release it as a single.

He did sing live in rehearsals, and he did sound good . . .

get over it guys!
i don't think it was ever said that the new single would be released, only 'unveiled to the world' is the phrase i think they used, so we can't exactly complain.

From michaeljackson.com....

On October 12th, the first new Michael Jackson song to emerge since the world mourned the loss of this musical icon will be released – a brand new single entitled "This Is It."

So, yes, we can complain.

I am telling you

All these ploys and tactics from aeg and sony after they participated in mj's demise..from the ticket or money option to this album and beyond, could all be their way of saying ''Ha ha, you will NEVER catch us or find out the truth.And at the same time we are going to kick all you mj fan's in the teeth because we are in contol and we will get our reveng on michael jackson JUST BECAUSE OF THE CATALOGUE AND HOW HE ACTED TOWARDS US.''

It is like aeg/sony are making it as obvious as possible that they are screwing with all of us and as obviously backhanded, sneeky and devilish as possible...They aren't even convering it up anymore and just doing the most unforgivvable, selfish greedy moves I have seen with a musician....None of this shocks me but also seeing what they are actually doing DOES..If that makes sense? I mean a new album being EXACTLY THE SAME AS PREVIOUS ONES? come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Well Michael will break a world record, in most illegally downloaded single ever, thats for sure. If I can't buy the single anywhere, what does a Michael Jackson fan have to do. I'm certainly not going to be bullied by SONY into waiting 2 weeks and buying yet another greatest hits album, we all know what they're up to. I'll be searching the torrent sites come next Monday.

I am telling you

All these ploys and tactics from aeg and sony after they participated in mj's demise..from the ticket or money option to this album and beyond, could all be their way of saying ''Ha ha, you will NEVER catch us or find out the truth.And at the same time we are going to kick all you mj fan's in the teeth because we are in contol and we will get our reveng on michael jackson JUST BECAUSE OF THE CATALOGUE AND HOW HE ACTED TOWARDS US.''

It is like aeg/sony are making it as obvious as possible that they are screwing with all of us and as obviously backhanded, sneeky and devilish as possible...They aren't even convering it up anymore and just doing the most unforgivvable, selfish greedy moves I have seen with a musician....None of this shocks me but also seeing what they are actually doing DOES..If that makes sense? I mean a new album being EXACTLY THE SAME AS PREVIOUS ONES? come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I agree. But don´t forget we the fans are in control not Sony we have the power. we are in control-we can buy a product or not.

Well Michael will break a world record, in most illegally downloaded single ever, thats for sure. If I can't buy the single anywhere, what does a Michael Jackson fan have to do. I'm certainly not going to be bullied by SONY into waiting 2 weeks and buying yet another greatest hits album, we all know what they're up to. I'll be searching the torrent sites come next Monday.

I´ll searching them come next weekend.

^ some of you are losing their sense of reality and becoming prejudiced by fan spleen based on fury, desperation and irrational thoughts following Michael's tragic death

sorry, but please keep your sense of reality ;)

The the 2nd CD has a lot material that we have never heard before then fans will buy it and it will sell well. However right now Sony isn't saying anything about the tracklisting and given their past track record, I don't have any hopes of them putting much effort into making it into something that the fans would like to buy.

Originally Posted by Calotte12

how do you know this?

He did sing live in rehearsals, and he did sound good . . .

No. Most songs were only sung in parts(if MKgenie tells the truth) live not the whole song was sung live.

He even mimend J5 medley. So how can Sony release a live album??

It is not possible there isn´t enough material for a live album.

You cannot release to the public songs were he is singing the first 2 minutes live and the rest of the song is playback.

MJ is simply not a live artist. Imagine a "live" Man in the Mirror on CD. The first 4 minutes playback and the last seconds live vocals....

No. Most songs were only sung in parts(if MKgenie tells the truth) live not the whole song was sung live.

He even mimend J5 medley. So how can Sony release a live album??

It is not possible there isn´t enough material for a live album.

You cannot release to the public songs were he is singing the first 2 minutes live and the rest of the song is playback.

MJ is simply not a live artist. Imagine a "live" Man in the Mirror on CD. The first 4 minutes playback and the last seconds live vocals....

You can't know if it was live or not lol... Let's wait untill the movie will be in theaters...

From michaeljackson.com....

On October 12th, the first new Michael Jackson song to emerge since the world mourned the loss of this musical icon will be released – a brand new single entitled "This Is It."

So, yes, we can complain.

i do beg your pardon!
looks like i was wrong! well, this certainly puts a different slant on my point of view :yes:

Well yes arty , the fas are in control but i worry for all those who don't see this and still buy it..The estate doesn't NEED these sales,they will be fine without it..So it all comes down to all those people who will buy it with their eyes closed tote truth

I disagree with the fan's being in control..That is why it's so sad..Sony/aeg can do pretty much whatever they want and whaat can we do? They can releaase new material at any pace they want, any amount, any time in the most underhanded ways....They can release watever footage they want , put anything they want on the dvd extras and tease us by probably giving us more ways to lose out money for a few extra bits of mj they coul have easily put on the disc..This will go onand on and will not stop until the last drop has gone..It is all to kick mj's legacy in the teeth and gain the contol they lost when mj was alive..We have NO control because if we don't buythe cd OTHERS will and they will release stuff we ALL want and therefore have no choice but to find a way of buying...It is the way they manipulate their assests and how they sell it is the clues...

Michael never released a ' live at the apollow style cd'..I was surprised because it ws one of his fa albums and he could have back in the day..Maybe he wanted to be innovative and not copy and leave that way of rcording to james brown and make it purely his...His voice was in a sense dying on him as his disease got worse and that is one reason he sang live less...It required more effort and in order to savour his voice and keep it perfect, he ad to be seldom in when he sung and how much...It was not this 'forever fountain of notes' it seemed to be back in the day...But also it is hard to do concerts and not mime for your WHOLE career..I can't think of any artist who doesn't mime theese days on te singing dancing level..It doesn't happen

So you don´t trust Mkgenie??? He saw the movie twice and the final cut!

NO I don't trust whatever the hell his name is (crazy me :smilerolleyes:)
I'm sick of everyone judging a movie that isn't even out yet cant you wait two damn weeks?
jeez!

Well yes arty , the fas are in control but i worry for all those who don't see this and still buy it..The estate doesn't NEED these sales,they will be fine without it. So it all comes down to all those people who will buy it with their eyes closed tote truth

True words!!

I really hope people will open their eyes.

NO I don't trust whatever the hell his name is (crazy me :smilerolleyes:)
I'm sick of everyone judging a movie that isn't even out yet cant you wait two damn weeks?
jeez!

It´s your opinion. I respect that. But why don´t you trust him. I thought he had a good reputation here on the board?!.

The the 2nd CD has a lot material that we have never heard before then fans will buy it and it will sell well. However right now Sony isn't saying anything about the tracklisting and given their past track record, I don't have any hopes of them putting much effort into making it into something that the fans would like to buy.

the tracklist has been confirmed weeks ago

the tracklist has been confirmed weeks ago

I've heard someone post what they say the tracklist is going to be but I haven't seen Sony confirm any tracklist yet.

It´s your opinion. I respect that. But why don´t you trust him. I thought he had a good reputation here on the board?!.

never even heard of him but he is the only one that is saying these things
the fans that were there say that they heard him sing live and he sounded good
in the end you and I wont know for sure till we see the movie and its a few weeks away and for gods sake try to enjoy it and give this crap a rest coz the only thing everyone agrees on is that this movie will blow the fans away
now lets get back on topic...

I've heard someone post what they say the tracklist is going to be but I haven't seen Sony confirm any tracklist yet.

I´m confused. Is the tracklist we´ve all seen official or not??

So there really is hope we get something for our money?? That would be awesome!

I´m confused. Is the tracklist we´ve all seen official or not??

So there really is hope we get something for our money?? That would be awesome!

I don't know if its official or not because there's been no statement from Sony confirming it and the websites that have the album for pre-order don't have a tracklist either. I'm not saying that the tracklist we've seen isn't the actual tracklist just that it hasn't been confirmed by Sony.

Last edited:
MJ is simply not a live artist. ....

Give me a break. you speak as if MJ never sung live throughout his career. the guy has been doing this since he was a child. i wonder whether you can even hit a note yourself.

Give me a break. you speak as if MJ never sung live throughout his career. the guy has been doing this since he was a child. i wonder whether you can even hit a note yourself.
:clapping:
for the first time I agree with you lol
just coz MJ didn't sing live all the way through the history tour that means that hes not a "live artiest" my @$$

i think people really need to calm down and just stop attacking each other!
ever since Michael passed away there's been such animosity amongst fans on the board. i think everyone just needs to take a time out and just relax!

Back