MJ lip-syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early 90s?

As far as I know, much earlier than that.

88 Grammys
Motown 25
Nearly every American Bandstand (if not all)
Most of those variety shows in the 70s

Thats only as far as televised stuff goes, I don't believe he mimed during any of his tours in this time.

Early 90s?

As far as I know, much earlier than that.

88 Grammys
Motown 25
Nearly every American Bandstand (if not all)
Most of those variety shows in the 70s

Thats only as far as televised stuff goes, I don't believe he mimed during any of his tours in this time.

Motown 25 -The J5 medley was live and it was absolute stunning.
Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_D...g/msg/8/316223?&pg=33&feature=player_embedded

His best voice ever. He never sung the J5 medley better!
Most of those 70s shows were live. Diana Ross Special, Cher, the Jacksons CBS Shows etc .
It really started big in the early 90´s

Cher was mimed, well, most the ones I've seen and most of the ones on that Carol whatever her name is show, and a lot on there were quite a few mimed on the CBS show. The J5 medley was heavy, but Billie Jean was mimed.

Stay on topic people, or I'll start deleting irrelevant posts.

If you want to talk about other music/topics please use the correct forums that are available.

Michael sung ALONGSIDE a vocal track. His voice was hardly audible but if you listen closely you can hear singing along to the track, when he stops to do his routine in "Jam", you hear him breathing hard and muttering "it ain't too much for me to..." before stopping. It's likely he "sung along" to the pre-recorded tracks and just wanted to show off more of his dancing. I can believe he was singing along to the pre-recorded tape we saw at the rehearsal.

It was just that on some performances, he choose to have the back track become louder than his own vocals because his vocals may have suffered some damage whenever he was at a packed arena or stadium.

I think he also sung along to the back track of his vocals because he was always dancing ("Heal the World" he was dancing and spinning around, "Man in the Mirror" he was dancing there, "Will You Be There" he was dancing, "Stranger in Moscow" he basically moonwalked, etc.).

The dancing and the spectacle was more than singing for MJ at that point. The Michael from 1969-1989 was a guy who was always LIVE tho vocals and everything.

Oh and not EVERYBODY lip-synchs. :lol: Even some of today's performers (save for probably Britney and Miley Cyrus) are actually singing live now.

I personally would have prefered him to not lipsync. Note that I'm talking about concerts here - not TV specials like Billie Jean at M25, or the MTV10 thing etc. those are TV shows - they are not important in the context of this topic.

Why? Well because when you go to see a performing artist live in concert, it's supposed to be live. the band, the singers the whole peice - that's why it says "live" on the ticket. But....

I don't really have any issue with him doing it so much in later tours. HIStory tour was obvioulsy very blurred between "the show" and "the performance". and it never said "live" on the history tickets.

I certianly don't think it's ripping off fans per se. The dude sang 100% live concerts for what 25 years or more. He didn't have anything to prove once he started doing loops a lot on the dangerous tour. No issue with the few songs looped on Bad tour either.

I don't agree that most peeps went to the shows for the dancing - they went for the whole show IMO. IMO Mike is one of the greatest live singers ever, and sure it's a shame he did so much miming later in his career. I certianly don't agree that singing is not the most important part of a entertainer, but i;m an old git to that explains that :) Try telling Jackie WIlson or James Brown or Marvin Gaye that singing isn't where it's at!

But the thing is - Mike is the kick ass singer - it's his decision to do it. Who are we to critise it? If we are all great vocalists who have had a 30 year career at the top and done oodles of shows - then we're in a postition to slag him of for it.

Mike wanted to do big shows, with huge productions. He obviously decided that following the Dangerous tour he could "get away" with a mostly mimed show for history - it's a compromise he made. It's well known that he suffered vocal problems after the bad tour and doing it every night with all the other stuff - something has to give.

here's a question -would you rather have a history tour mostly mimed, or no history tour? I know which I'd choose, the show!

I would have liked him to do something without the theatrics to shut the complainers up and really prove he still had the killer voice - even if it was just a couple shows - but hey such is life.
people really underestimate just how many hours this guy put in on the microphone, and I don't doubt that he damaged his voice over the years. I'm not saying he lost his ability to sing. But to sing live three times a week for 45 shows with all the travel etc. that's a different matter.
it's worth noting that you have to be extrememly fit to sing live like he did. small ailments have a large imapct. doing a big tour in outdoor arenas, traveling about all over the world. It's a dead cert you are gonna pick up bugs. Frought with risk.
So the common argument is if Madonna or Bono can do, why couldn't Mike? Well in comparison to MIke they are terrible singers. they are not bad singers, but they ain't real singers like Mike! it's a nonsensical comparison.
Here's another thing not often considered by non musicians...
Mike's songs - most of them are pretty hard to sing. all those peeps doing covers that sound terrible - that's cos these things are hard to sing. I'm a trained singer and would never even attempt to do a tune like Don't Stop. never mind in concert with the dancing!
When most singers cover Mike they change the keys. and then consider to sing it as well as Mike does - forget it!
I'm rambling, but it's my contention that people underestimate the skill and talent required to sing like Mike. In some ways Mike set himself too high a standard with the Bad Tour - it sounded fantastic, some tunes were just as good as the records (e.g. Billie Jeam), if not better, whilst others (e.g. Rock WIth You) were glorious in thier interpretations. And others (e.g. Dirty Diana) were just pure exhileration vocally. When he let's rip with the "come on" screams - oh man! No one can tell me that doesn't impact your chops.
So once he set that standard he wanted to keep it there - and it wasn't on by Dangerous - so a compromise was made to keep the value of the show and to protect Mike's voice.
For all we know someone like Seth Riggs, or a doctor may have advised him to protect his vocal chords at all costs or risk damaging them beyond repair (like Miles davis). And slinging it 1988 style across the globe is not a good way to look after one's voice.
In short I don't beleive it makes him less of a performer - he had nothing to prove once he started doing it so much.
One down side to all of this is some newbies saw him do it and thought that was acceptable - so that is a negative influence on younger "artists" (e.g. trousersnake and britney) but then they could never sing without an autotune anyway so who cares?

IMO, the bottom line is - if you can sing like Mike then you can critisise Mike for miming - otherwise you need to shut the hell up.

Of course I would have loved Mike to sing live and dance amazingly at the same time, but I am a realist and know that this is a very hard task for anyone, even at their peak of fitness. I have no issue with him choosing to lip synch as and when it was necessary. When I got tickets for the O2 everyone around me said he would mime or be too old and not able to 'hack' it any more - I simply didn't care, I would have paid to see him sit on a stool and smile at the audience :)

I don't like it when he (or anybody) is lip-syncing, so I'm not so much a fan of his History tour. Probably he had health problems, so that's kind of understandable, but I like his other tours, where he sang live the best.

You know there are artists who lyp-sync because they cannot sing live. Or cannot sing and dance at the same time. Michael proved himself there like nobody else before, so it's not like he was one of those artists. It's just that he was aging and he also had throat problems.

Motown 25

You know that's why I don't really get the hype about Motown 25. OK, it was all about the moves and the Moonwalk. But I actually like his Bad Tour Billie Jean a lot better. He sang live and did all the moves - in fact better than on Motown 25! BTW, as for the moves, his best Billie Jean was by far the 1995 MTV Music Awards - it was a lot better than Motown 25 -, but unfortunately the singing wasn't live there either.

But then TV shows don't really matter in this context because TV shows are very often not live and it's not just Michael. And the Variety was a TV variety, it is not a concert.

I would like to see B.B. King sing and dance at the same time, though. ;)
I was responding to someone who said everybody lip-syncs. On Broadway, a lot of singing & dancing at the same time is going on. James Brown never mimes. He even sang live on TV shows like Soul Train. It was said that James & Aretha Franklin couldn't lip-sync. When filming the Blues Brothers, Aretha's & James vocals were live, but everything else was a backing track. Mick Jagger doesn't and he's running around the whole show, plus he's in his 60s. But Mick's a gym rat like Madonna.

did he lip sync during dangerous bucharest ?

Most of it.
I really feel sorry for him when i watch some performances.Such a great voice... what happened.The 1993 award performance of Remember The Time... well... he was sitting... no dancing... full lipsyching.And the 1995 You Are Not Alone performance.Just watch the Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' in Munich.Guys... this was not near singing... it was screaming painfully and crowing... bad... bad... something happened... 1989 was the end of the full live singing...
The History Tour was almost not a concert.Just Michael dancing to his old album tracks...
The most strange thing is that he didn't even prerecord .The Off The Wall medley--wow that was shock for me to see.Our Michael with completely changed voice and style of singing... singing over his young falcetto.It wasn't natural to hear.And he is so proffesional at lipsyching... my Michael... he was proffesional at everything... :( but the medley... that was a total joke.Where were the people making the tour to make something... it was so cheap and fake to hear.
Brunei 1996 - Scream performance... the beggining... Michael shouted and he was sounding good actually but when the song started he couldn't catch his breath.
Even the hoo-hoo s in some of the songs sound bad... the strain in his voice.
The best vocals since 1996 was the 2001 concert - the jacksons medley.
Actually when hear the 1990 live performance of you were there he still got it.
The Dangerous Era Enters and Bang... no more singing...
The lyringits... he should't even start the tour in 1992.
He should've waited to be better.Because that effects his voice.

Would you be dissapointed if This is it was performande with all the songs Mike lip-syncing?

After most of all History tracks were lip-synced what if a second full MJ Concert was only mimed?

We will all find out in a few weeks. So how will you react when he was lip -syncing a whole Concert after History?

From 1970-93 he mostly sang live(the exception would be illness). The History Tour was 25% lip synced not 90%(otherwise critics would've tore him apart It doesn't matter how big you are). The end of the second leg of The Dangerous Tour of course he wasn't feeling good. He doesn't cover his mouth but gets a grip on his mouth-piece(mic) because of it's tendency to fumble.

Randy Phillips mentions he would've sang live most of the show.

Would you be dissapointed if This is it was performande with all the songs Mike lip-syncing?

After most of all History tracks were lip-synced what if a second full MJ Concert was only mimed?

We will all find out in a few weeks. So how will you react when he was lip -syncing a whole Concert after History?

Yes I would! If Mike would lip synch 90% percent of every this is it tour concert, it would be a prove that he can't sing anymore (voice damage).

Everything he singed live between 95-01 was bad because of damaged voice, performances after 01 were not live.

I guess that mistery about his voice will be solved soon!

It awfully funny that he has voice damage cause I swear my copy of Invincible sounds incredible.
So if he has voice damage, who the hell is singing on my album?!?

Yeah but his voice does not soud so strong as on Destiny or Triumph.

And maybe the computer helped??

From 1970-93 he mostly sang live(the exception would be illness). The History Tour was 25% lip synced not 90%(otherwise critics would've tore him apart It doesn't matter how big you are). The end of the second leg of The Dangerous Tour of course he wasn't feeling good. He doesn't cover his mouth but gets a grip on his mouth-piece(mic) because of it's tendency to fumble.

Check your ears only 25 %??? Wrong he only was singing 2 songs live during History J5 Medley that is not 25 % that is 90 %.

It awfully funny that he has voice damage cause I swear my copy of Invincible sounds incredible.
So if he has voice damage, who the hell is singing on my album?!?

Lol you know so little about music industry.

Songs on CD's are heavily edited.

Let's look at the rihanna for example. Every single live performance of umbrella is off tune, she misses notes, yet the cd version is perfect.

Song on the CD is actualy made out of 100 recordings of that song. That best parts are taken out of every recording and then edited with a help of programs...

Do you think that MJ could actually sing earth song on HIStory album without editing his voice? He had severe voice problems before he even started the tour.

Here is the recording of Stranger in Moscow live, without playback, a day before he opened HIStory tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etxr2v3Qjo&feature=channel_page

dude, singing a track in a recording studio, maybe for a dozen takes, after extensive warm up with a vocal coach is *not* the same as singing live on stage everynight with a Shure wireless mic!!!!!

SInging in the studio is a very different kettle of fish than doing it live in concert. It is very common for vocalists to have to protect thier voice (in order to be able to do recordings)

Only Jackson 5 medly and WBSS are completely live. In some other songs he only sings the ending...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back