MJ lip-syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prove it!;-) Show me a Bad Beat it performance that is better than the one I´ve posted from Victory.

There is nothing to prove. It is also the matter of a taste. I don't see big difference between his 84 and 87 vocals. :)

All this talk just listen to this Thriller Demo Love Never felt so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9J1wTO6S0

His voice was perfect during that era!! Just listen

A beautiful song, yes. However, his vocals on albums were 10 times better on Dangerous.

I don't think his voice was better than on Bad tour...
Is not that his vocals were better or less better on the Bad Tour is that at that time Michael was not having all the problems he was having with his body, so will sing live the entire concerts, the vocals on the Bad tour are excellent so in the Dangerous tour and also in the History tour, the difference is that he had developed a much unique style of singing, over the years he would design the way he wanted to sing, he was a perfectionist, and on the History tour i mean he did not lip-sync all songs, some of them were entirely sung live, there were songs that he at some tours would sing live and at other tours he woud lip sync but not entirely, the firsts parts he would do it but he always at the middle or the end of songs would sing live, this that im going to say is imporrtant for it may be areason why lip-sync some songs at some times, Michael came to Argentina in 1993 and when he died a man named Hector Caballero who was the one who bring him here to perform spoke of how Michael was injected with morphine before the shows started, the reason for it to be inh¡jected was the Michael suffered body pain, real bad, so the only way he could make them desappaer was with morphine, but still at that time 1993 he would sing live most songs, i guess in the History tour the pain was much greater, i cant blame him, i dont know why he had all that pain, some says he had a bad back problem, some other say he had problems on his foot or his knees, but the man Hector Caballero said it was amazing to see how michael out of stage was like a kid, kinda shy and naive, but whene he put his feet onstage he would convert into this God of music and dance, he said it was amazing to see.

However, his vocals on albums were 10 times better on Dangerous.
I have to agree on that, i love his voice on the Dangerous album, but the way he sings in Smooth Criminal, Speed Demon from the Bad album, were AMAZING, it was the beggining of the way he started to sing from Dangerous to his last album, his voice was more calm in the Invincible album however on songs like Invincible or Heartbreaker well he was very angry i guess hahah

i have a question...i would've started a new thread but i've been frowned upon before for doing that lol

i haven't read through this entire thread either, but if someone could answer this it'd be rather cool :)

i was just wondering how exactly lip-synching works? like...how do they manage to get the vocals in time with the live band?
and when there isn't a live band, do they just use the CD?

it'd be great if someone knew :)

With the amount of dancing he did and the various costume changes and special effects, there really is NO way he could have kept up vocally. Not because he wasn't capable of it, but simply because when you're constantly running around the stage, all you would hear is huffing and puffing, the song would become unrecognizable, and truthfully, it would sound like crap. When you lip sync, the song is there in it's entirety so people can recognize it and enjoy it AND you get the visual show. Nothing suffers. I can understand exactly why he sometimes resorted to it. The BAD tour was easier to sing live because it wasn't a tour on such a grand scale.

You have to remember that seeing Michael Jackson live was a SHOW. He wasn't just a singer, but an entertainer. Therefore you weren't going to see him live to watch him stand in the middle of a stage belting out notes. You were going to witness and experience. As his stage shows grew, the vocals weren't a central part of his performances. Personally, I'd rather get a visual explosion with the recorded track as background music rather than listening to heavily out of breath performers, running around the stage trying to keep up.

but simply because when you're constantly running around the stage, all you would hear is huffing and puffing,

Where is he running when he is performing-

Heal the World-

You´re are not alone-

Will you be there,

Elisabeth I love You,

Man in the Mirror,

Stranger in Moscow etc??????

Running??? I don´t think so.

Where is he running when he is performing-

Heal the World-

You´re are not alone-

Will you be there,

Elisabeth I love You,

Man in the Mirror,

Stranger in Moscow etc??????

Running??? I don´t think so.

He is running around before and after. It's frickin EXHAUSTING putting on a show on such a grand scale. You think you stop running for 5 minutes and you catch your breath long enough to sound AMAZING on a live track? I'd rather hear some lip syncing than heavy breathing and cracking voices.

He is running around before and after. It's frickin EXHAUSTING putting on a show on such a grand scale. You think you stop running for 5 minutes and you catch your breath long enough to sound AMAZING on a live track? I'd rather hear some lip syncing than heavy breathing and cracking voices.

Running?? I´ve never seen MJ running on stage??? What are you talking about? Where have you seen him running nonstop on stage like an sprinter?? He dances a lot but running??
Have you seen Beyonce? She is dancing alot too but where did you see him running? Why should he run in the first place. What for?

lol there are breaks in a concert he isn´t dancing nonstop.

Have you seen Prince Live in Dortmund Lovesexy Tour?? He is singing, dancing , paying guitar etc at the same time.

But again where is MJ "running" on Stranger in Moscow and Heal the World?

Last edited:
He runs from one side of the stage to the other, he's always dancing. Look, if Beyonce can do it, great. Beyonce's shows are not on the same scale as an MJ show AT ALL. People go to hear Beyonce's voice, I would go see Michael Jackson to SEE a VISUAL SHOW.

That's MY opinion. Peace out.

P.S. How would you expect Michael to sing Thriller through a werewolf mask?

He runs from one side of the stage to the other,

???

I´ll check again my Dangerous and History Concerts and look for the running from one side of the stage to the other and I´ll count it if I see such an running.

Back later.

By the way have you see Beyonce in Concert? Not at the same scale??

She is dancing like crazy much more than MJ on Dangerous and again

where is he running on songs like

stranger in moscow??

Heal the world?

You´re not alone??

hey guys can i add my 2p's worth

Personally to see michael jackson would be amazing, i cry somtimes when i think i have never been able to see him live and would of got my chance to see him at the o2 but now i will never accomplish my dream :cry:

For me if he sings or dose not didnt bother me as i know Mike has a great voice and him doing Loads of dates so wouldnt want him to damage his voice or end up getting bad press for singing really poor towards the end

I know Mike would of put on a great show regardless of him singing or not and i know if i had seen him preforming on stage with my own eyes it would make a night never to forget

I would be happy to know that mike was getting up on stage and blessing us with his presence - if you dont like him lip syncing then dont watch/go to his shows

Yepp Dangerous München and History Gelsenkirchen. And????

So dont you think it was a real amazing concert even if they was lip-syncing happening and if you do then why carry on this thread.They already is enough people trying to tear Michael to shreds without us starting.
He was the greatest entertainer they was to me.

So dont you think it was a real amazing concert even if they was lip-syncing happening and if you do then why carry on this thread.They already is enough people trying to tear Michael to shreds without us starting.
He was the greatest entertainer they was to me.

You don´t understand don´t you? It was an amazing experience to this day I´ve remembered everything about it-

but it would´ve been 10 times better if Mike would sing 90 % live instead of only 10 %.

And now if I want to see the history tour on dvd the magic is gone it´s not the same as being really there with other fans etc. I have a couple of history concerts but they are all the same it gets boring to watch bcause of the damn lip-syncing every song sounds the same

I and a lot of fans hate the lip-syncing so much because we love to hear his amazing voice and not a cd. It´s because we love his voice so much we´re hating the lip-syncing so much.

Only if you love something with all your heart you can hate something with all your heart.

Last edited:
You don´t understand don´t you? It was an amazing experience to this day I´ve remembered everything about it-

but it would´ve been 10 times better if Mike would sing 90 % live instead of only 10 %.

And now if I want to see the history tour on dvd the magic is gone it´s not the same as being really there with other fans etc. I have a couple of history concerts but they are all the same it gets boring to watch bcause of the damn lip-syncing every song sounds the same

I and a lot of fans hate the lip-syncing so much because we love to hear his amazing voice and not a cd. It´s because we love his voice so much we´re hating the lip-syncing so much.

Only if you love something with all your heart you can hate something with all your heart.

Arty, I wholeheartedly believe that we are all entitled to our opinion and yours is very obviously that you are a big hater of MJ lipsynching. This is a hard time for all MJ fans so I would very politely ask if you could possibly refrain from all the criticism you are hurling at our lovely Michael's direction - juts for the time being. Please.

You sound at the moment as if you are telling us that Beyonce is a better artiste because she sings live and dances at the same time, maybe you should post on the Beyonce fan club board rather than here?

???

I´ll check again my Dangerous and History Concerts and look for the running from one side of the stage to the other and I´ll count it if I see such an running.

Back later.

By the way have you see Beyonce in Concert? Not at the same scale??

She is dancing like crazy much more than MJ on Dangerous and again

where is he running on songs like

stranger in moscow??

Heal the world?

You´re not alone??

He runs only on HIStory tour, during WBSS, Scream, HIStory and some more.

All I'm saying is.. when I'm brisk walking for 10 minutes - I can't breathe. And I'm not a big person either.

All I'm saying is.. when I'm brisk walking for 10 minutes - I can't breathe. And I'm not a big person either.

Yeah, but you are not proffesional singer or dancer, you're just lazy like me... :)
He had no problems with breathing during Dangerous tour, and he was in bad shape then - drug addiction, he was fainting after concerts...

Beside, if that would be a problem, he would not sing WBSS live.

Laryngitis

The main reason for MJ lip syncing.

Can we put this to rest now? There really is not any point in discussing why MJ lip synced, when the reason is Laryngitis.

Laryngitis

The main reason for MJ lip syncing.

Can we put this to rest now? There really is not any point in discussing why MJ lip synced, when the reason is Laryngitis.
Well I love Britney Spears to death, but she doesn't have permanent laryngitis. Aside from the physicality of these large shows, it's unrealistic to think that with jet lag and tons of tour dates back to back, that every artist can keep up vocally.

To be honest, WBSS doesn't sound that great because he's super out of breath. I'd rather hear songs like Thriller uninterrupted, in good quality. Besides, I focus on the dancing and sets.

Arty, I see your reasons, and I agree that sometimes when watching the concerts back, the lip syncing makes SOME of it slightly less exciting because it always sounds the same. But I like to believe that Mike had great reasons for doing it apart from pure laziness.

I mean, I had bought tickets to see him in London knowing full well that he might been lip syncing certain songs. Didn't stop me from wanting to see the production. Now I'll never know what that feels like, sadly.

I consider myself to be a realistic fan. Michael Jackson is NOT a God to me. I appreciate the contribution he has made to music and the pioneer he was as a LIVE artist. It concerns me to see that other fans downplay his dancing ability. He was (is) one of the greatest dancers to ever grace this earth. I've read through the forum and there are people saying that his dancing wasn't just as important as his singing?!?!

Arty
After reading your insults and close minded opinions about MJ, I've concluded that you are not an MJ fan. You've placed three artist above Michael Jackson (Elvis, Prince, and Beyonce.......BEYONCE?!?!?!?!) ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Get out of here. You also said that History damaged Michael's legacy?? You need to think before you type such asinine things. History was a MASTERPIECE. Yes, he did lip sync most of the concert but he danced his ass off! He is the greatest performer of all time and History did not damage his legacy. Unlike you, real fans appreciate his singing AND his dancing. I think your posts would be better appreciated here:

http://www.beyonceworld.net/main.htm

have fun!

I consider myself to be a realistic fan. Michael Jackson is NOT a God to me. I appreciate the contribution he has made to music and the pioneer he was as a LIVE artist. It concerns me to see that other fans downplay his dancing ability. He was (is) one of the greatest dancers to ever grace this earth. I've read through the forum and there are people saying that his dancing wasn't just as important as his singing?!?!

Arty
After reading your insults and close minded opinions about MJ, I've concluded that you are not an MJ fan. You've placed three artist above Michael Jackson (Elvis, Prince, and Beyonce.......BEYONCE?!?!?!?!) ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Get out of here. You also said that History damaged Michael's legacy?? You need to think before you type such asinine things. History was a MASTERPIECE. Yes, he did lip sync most of the concert but he danced his ass off! He is the greatest performer of all time and History did not damage his legacy. Unlike you, real fans appreciate his singing AND his dancing. I think your posts would be better appreciated here:

have fun!

Well said thankyou

Also, people say that Michael wouldn't be famous without a voice. While this is true, he ALSO wouldn't be as famous if he couldn't dance. You guys are too picky. You need to understand that he got old, just like every one of us and YES he had to cut corners. However, It is my opinion that Michael's dancing was at its PEAK during the history tour. He introduced so many new and different moves that we've never seen before. Take that into consideration before you say History was a waste of time, this thread is a waste of time. RANT ENDED.

Arty

have fun!

hahaha, this entire post made me laugh! :lol:

Yeah, comparing MJ with Beyonce is beyond ridiculous. Let's see how Beyonce's going to perform when she's nearly 40 as MJ was for the History tour.

As for You Are Not Alone... Arty, I'd like to see YOU remember the lyrics to your song when you've got girls grabbing at you :lmao:

Arty, I wholeheartedly believe that we are all entitled to our opinion and yours is very obviously that you are a big hater of MJ lipsynching. This is a hard time for all MJ fans so I would very politely ask if you could possibly refrain from all the criticism you are hurling at our lovely Michael's direction - juts for the time being. Please.

You sound at the moment as if you are telling us that Beyonce is a better artiste because she sings live and dances at the same time, maybe you should post on the Beyonce fan club board rather than here?
The original poster asked what people here thought about Michael's lip-syncing. If only those that don't have a problem with it are allowed to post an answer the thread is pointless.

The original poster asked what people here thought about Michael's lip-syncing. If only those that don't have a problem with it are allowed to post an answer the thread is pointless.

I think writing repeated posts about it is unnecessary, sorry. I wish he'd never had to lipsynch, I prefer to hear/see him sing live but I do not feel the need to pick apart every single one of his performances and compare them to other artists in a negative way...

Guess you guys dont have to worry about a performance being live or Lip-synced anymore huh.

This argument is now invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back