Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record

^^ I guess there are all kind of reactions in the media. This gleeful one is from Yahoo:

Katy Perry

By Claudine Zap, Yahoo!Wed, Aug 17, 2011, 11:39 am PDT
Move over, Michael Jackson. Katy Perry has matched you, note for note. The hit-maker scored five number one songs from one album, "Teenage Dream" on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, a record not matched since Jackson's five hits from "Bad."

http://search.yahoo.com/search?cs=bz&p=Katy+Perry&fr=fp-tts-701&fr2=ps&type=Female

Re: Katy Perry tops MJ 5 #1 in 1 album

It sounds to me like Katy didn't top Michael's record. She just tied with it. That's all. I like a couple of her songs. But her music doesn't mean much to me in the long run anyhow. I say, let her have her moment. Judging by most of the comments on this story, she's might only get a minute of glory. Because alot of people are questioning how she got this honor in the first place. That's not good, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Someone in a comment pointed out this as well:

The difference between Jackson and Perry is that the five No. 1's from 'Bad' were the original songs as heard on the album. Perry's chart-toppers include two tracks that needed an assist from a guest rapper brought in after the fact (Kanye West, on "E.T." and Missy Elliott on "Last Friday Night"). Buyers of the album won't be getting the No. 1 hits as they've heard them on the radio.

Then again, maybe record-buyers know this—sales of 'Teenage Dream,' the album, have been underwhelming. By the time Michael scored that fifth chart-topper, 'Bad' was certified sextuple-platinum (it's now at eight-times platinum). Despite a year-plus of radio omnipresence, Perry's 'Teenage Dream' still hasn't reached double-platinum.

Re: Katy Perry ties MJ with 5 #1 in 1 album

I changed the Thread title so as not to decieve fans to think Katy Broke or topped MJs record.
She tied it and she will have to do a lot more than that to even consider being King of POP
she will never acheive all it takes to become Michael Jackson (King Of Pop) Ever

its good for her but its too bad a bunch of mj fans cant buy another part of me and make it number 1:devil:

Meh. The media can cry all they want. Perry may have matched Michael's record, but she will never match his greatness. Long after the celebrations have died down, Katy's singles will be forgotten, but Michael's will live on.

Congratulations.
The song is still rubbish :p

She really desperately wanted this record. She dropped the singe 69 cents on iTunes... On top of that she is going to add new tracks to the CD and rerelease in for the holiday so she can get a sixth number one.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic was critical of the album, describing it as "desperate vulgarity" and "tiring." Mikael Wood of Spin gave a mixed review, noting that the album "won't disappoint parents looking for reasons to worry about their kids". Leah Greenblatt, writing for Entertainment Weekly, stated that "beneath the fruity outfits and fart jokes, Perry is clearly serious about the business of hit songcraft; that doesn't make Dream nearly cohesive as an album, but it does provide, intermittently, exactly the kind of high-fructose rush she's aiming for." Rob Sheffield from Rolling Stone described the album as "an all-American teen-pop sound that's older than the Hollywood Hills."Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune gave a negative review to the album. He criticized the production, calling it "Frankenstein-like", as well as calling Perry's vocals "robotic" and lacking "any elegance or nuance". Matthew Cole of Slant Magazine called it "over-produced bad-girl debauchery," claiming that Perry has "found a way to lower the bar."

"It's worth noting that Perry hasn't written a SINGLE song on the album by herself, in fact as many as FIVE people can be credited to the writing of any one song."
"Michael Jackson an accomplished song writer wrote FOUR of his five number ones on 'Bad'"

1. "Teenage Dream" Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bower Levin, Bonnie McKee
2. "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" Perry, Gottwald, Martin, McKee Dr. Luke, Max Martin
3. "California Gurls" (feat. Snoop Dogg) Perry, Gottwald, Martin, Levin, McKee, Calvin Broadurus
4. "Firework" Perry, Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Sandy Wilhelm, Ester Dean
5. "Peacock" Perry, Eriksen, Hermansen, Dean
6. "Circle the Drain" Perry, Christopher Stewart, Monte Neuble
7. "The One That Got Away" Perry, Gottwald, Martin
8. "E.T." Perry, Gottwald, Martin, Joshua Coleman
9. "Who Am I Living For?" Perry, Stewart, Neuble, Brian Thomas
10. "Pearl" Perry, Greg Wells, Stewart
11. "Hummingbird Heartbeat" Perry, Stewart, Stacy Barthe, Neuble
12. "Not Like the Movies" Perry, Wells

I see a lot of hate or shade being thrown Katy's way but she's a talented girl who writes her music and worked very hard for this achievement. Her singles have been absolutely massive and have each outperformed all of MJ's hits from BAD. That is not a knock at Michael and of course BAD is a classic and always will be, I'm just trying to point out that it's unfair to brush Katy off as though she cheated or doesn't deserve it. Her singles have spent 18 weeks at #1 and have been in the top ten for over a year where as MJ's hits were at the top for 7 weeks. Please research before knocking someone. Yes, times have changed but it's still an awesome achievement and fuddy duds would say the same thing about MJ's success back in the day.

There's really no diminishing this accomplishment. She worked it and she worked it hard. When you add into the fact that her five #1's have spent a total of 18 weeks at the top of the charts vs. Michael's 7 weeks and it becomes even more impressive. When you take into account that E.T. spent more weeks in the Top 10 than both Jackson's Bad and I Just Can't Stop Loving You spent on the entire Hot 100 (and I haven't actually counted the weeks for her other singles, but I'm pretty sure at least Firework spent more time in the Top 10 than both those songs did on the entire Hot 100, and California Gurls spent HALF of those songs' chart times in the #1 position...) then it becomes even more impressive still.

Perry actually broke airplay records on four separate occasions with her singles on pop radio (I believe it was four times, I'm starting to lose count). This doesn't support your arguement. Sure album sales aren't matching (but I'm still not sure how people can compare the boom of the 80's and 90's to today). But airplay? Airplay stats ARE indicitive of how huge these songs have been. ALL FIVE songs went #1 on both airplay and sales (something that MJ's five #1's from Bad failed to accomplish).

As stated, times change. This still doesn't diminish this accomplishment. The internet absolutely makes it easier, but there's no way to actually compare. Who knows if the almost 5 million singles California Gurls sold (or the 4 million that Firework and E.T. have sold) would translate to 1 million sales back in the mid 80's, or 2 million, or maybe 500k? People in the 80's and 90's were flocking to record stores in droves. Now? They're flocking to the internet. It's just a different avenue. And as for being gone from the Top 20 in 3 weeks? All of Perry's singles have spent at least that much time (a lot more actually) in the Top 2 alone. MJ's singles though? 14 week runs on the Hot 100? His singles were closer to being out of the Top 20 in three weeks than any of Perrys.

I'm not trying to be arguementitive, I promise. You're entitled to your completely valid opinion just as much as I am mine. I just wish people would look at some of the facts surrounding this. Simply stating "it's easier these days" doesn't make it true, and if you look at the facts surrounding the accomplishment, you'll see... that's not really the case. I'm all for people being annoyed that Perry tied this record. I'd be annoyed if say, Britney or Mariah or Ke$ha or Pitbull or Lil' Wayne tied this record, but I'd still be able to see what an accomplishment it was. MJdeserved his success back in the day and Katy deserves hers today. The charts are indeed a game and MJ also played it well when he was active. Let's please just accept that times change and move on. No need to drag anyone in the dirt in an attempt to down play their success and make ourselves feel better.

How depressing............The music industry is really on its last legs.........

Selling singles solely on downloads is not sustainable.........and I can't see it still happening in 15 years time........

Just compare Perry's 5 single sales with MJ's Bad single sales..........that tells you everything........

Eventually music will cease to make a profit!!!!

How depressing............The music industry is really on its last legs.........

Selling singles solely on downloads is not sustainable.........and I can't see it still happening in 15 years time........

Just compare Perry's 5 single sales with MJ's Bad single sales..........that tells you everything........

Eventually music will cease to make a profit!!!!

I don't understand what you mean... Katy's singles far out performed MJ's #1's both in airplay and sales. She actually leaves him in the dust. However, I don't understand why so many people are getting up in arms about it. Records are meant to be matched or broken. This isn't a threat and doesn't diminish MJ's original feat whatsoever. What he did was wonderful and of course Mj himself can't be touched. Just relax, peeps.

California Gurls
#1 CHR (7 weeks) (13,240 Spins)
#1 Airplay (3 weeks) (144,071 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (5 weeks)
#1 H100 (6 weeks)
#1 HAC (9 weeks) (4,692 spins)
#4 RHY (4,996 spins)

Teenage Dream
#1 CHR (4 weeks) (12,963 Spins)
#1 Airplay (1 week) (128.832 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (2 weeks)
#1 H100 (2 weeks)
#1 HAC (4 weeks) (4,218 spins)
#12 RHY (2,870 spins)

Firework
#1 CHR (4 weeks) (13,885 Spins)
#1 Airplay (1 week) (145,099 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (3 weeks)
#1 H100 (4 weeks)
#1 HAC (5 weeks) (4,556 spins)
#7 RHY (3,613 spins)

E.T.
#1 CHR (6 weeks) (14780 Spins)
#1 Airplay (5 weeks) (151.829 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (7 weeks)
#1 H100 (5 weeks)
#2 HAC (4,390 spins)
#1 RHY (4 weeks) (5,335 spins)

Last Friday Night (so far)
#1 CHR (3 weeks) (14,935 Spins)
#1 Airplay (2 weeks) (147.716 AI)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (2 weeks)
#1 Hot 100 (1 week)
#2 HAC (4696 Spins)
#9 RHY (3600 Spins)

Peacock
#1 Dance (1 week)

but she's a talented girl who writes her music

I already disagree with her being talented, but each to their own. And she doesn't write most of her music either.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I highly, HIGHLY doubt ANYONE will remember any of her songs in 25 years time..Yet, fans and non fans alike have heralded Michael's songs, not only from Bad, as absolute classics. That is what truly matters and that is the MASSIVE difference between Katy Perry and Michael Jackson. There is no comparison.

Smooth Criminal wasn't even Nr 1 and it's an all time classic. Re-made by many artists since. Like this:

Who will remake any of Katy's songs in 20 years time? I highly doubt she will even be remembered.

I'm kind of surprised you guys care so much for this.

I'm kind of surprised you guys care so much for this.

Exactly. Big deal! Records get matched or broken all the time. It doesn't take away the original holder's greatness. Madonna broke Elvis's top 10 hit record and fans were so upset by that. Why? So what? It's bund to happen eventually. I don't get the big fuss. Good for Katy. I do think she's talented and she does actually write most of her music and her music will most certainly be remembered. After all, her 5 consecutive hits have been monstrous. They're not flukes. I'm not saying she'll be remembered such as our MJ (of course not) but she could be lovingly remembered such as fun pop acts like Paula Abdul. It's all down to personal opinion and let's face it - many of the people posting are biased. Again, Katy nor anyone else can touch MJ so there's no reason to overreact.

As Billboard reports, Katy Perry said of making history, and being the first artist to tie with Michael Jackson's record: "Hitting No. 1 is always a great moment, but when it turns into a small piece of history, you're reminded of how many millions of people are connected to each other by even one tiny event. Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen. Ever since I was 9 years old, singing into my hairbrush, I've dreamed very big dreams, but today is bigger than my dreams. What a nice first birthday present for 'Teenage Dream'!"

Funny she didn't mention Michael at all....

Exactly. Big deal! Records get matched or broken all the time. It doesn't take away the original holder's greatness. Madonna broke Elvis's top 10 hit record and fans were so upset by that. Why? So what? It's bund to happen eventually. I don't get the big fuss. Good for Katy. I do think she's talented and she does actually write most of her music and her music will most certainly be remembered. After all, her 5 consecutive hits have been monstrous. They're not flukes. I'm not saying she'll be remembered such as our MJ (of course not) but she could be lovingly remembered such as fun pop acts like Paula Abdul. It's all down to personal opinion and let's face it - many of the people posting are biased. Again, Katy nor anyone else can touch MJ so there's no reason to overreact.

Exactly! But in here people are so possessive of MJ's record that they start hating anybody who gets close. It's like if Michael would be killed a second time if another artist breaks a record or ties MJ on a record he had. Are they gonna kill if an artist ever tops thriller (which is unlikely but hey)... This is great that MJ has all these records, and yes we can be proud of it, but do people really have to start hating on another artist evertime they get any success??? Yes Michael will never be replaced or topped, so what are you all so affraid of! I'Mwaiting for the day MJ fans will just be happy for someone who get success.

Chill out already! :)

Exactly! But in here people are so possessive of MJ's record that they start hating anybody who gets close. It's like if Michael would be killed a second time if another artist breaks a record or ties MJ on a record he had. Are they gonna kill if an artist ever tops thriller (which is unlikely but hey)... This is great that MJ has all these records, and yes we can be proud of it, but do people really have to start hating on another artist evertime they get any success??? Yes Michael will never be replaced or topped, so what are you all so affraid of! I'Mwaiting for the day MJ fans will just be happy for someone who get success.

Chill out already! :)

Who is overreacting now? :smilerolleyes:

Thing is I'm not even sure this is overreacting :)

Really? That's sad when you don't even see you are overreacting...

Just because we don't happen to be as big fans of Katy Perry as you are, it doesn't mean we want to kill her. I think it's you who needs to chill out now.

Really? That's sad when you don't even see you are overreacting...

Just because we don't happen to be as big fans of Katy Perry as you are, it doesn't mean we want to kill her. I think it's you who needs to chill out now.

First, as I clearly stated in my 1st post, I'm not a fan of Katy Perry, I barely heard what..2-3 songs of her, I'm just stating that I'm happy for her.

Second, she didn't tied thriller selling record, so if you read my post right, you'll see I'm not talking about K. Perry in that part of my text, thanks :)

Third, when I see MJ fans saying ''God, give us MJ back and take Justin bieber instead (not of a fan of him either btw) I think I'm not overreacting when I think some fans would like some artist to disapear instead of getting close to MJ's record :)

That being said, I just said I'm happy for her, deserved or not, talent or not, long lasting or not, good for her. and that doesn't make me less of an MJ fan :lol:

Last edited:
First, as I clearly stated in my 1st post, I'm not a fan of Katy Perry, I barely heard what..2-3 songs of her, I'm just stating that I'm happy for her.

Second, she didn't tied thriller selling record, so if you read my post right, you'll see I'm not talking about K. Perry in that part of my text, thanks :)

So you seriously think if someone gets to beat Thriller MJ fans will kill? And you are not overreacting with such stupid claims? Okkay.

You can be happy for Perry all you want, that doesn't mean others have to be happy for her too. Why should I be happy for her when I think her music is generic crap?

:)

Third, when I see MJ fans saying ''God, give us MJ back and take Justin bieber instead (not of a fan of him either btw) I think I'm not overreacting when I think some fans would like some artist to disapear instead of getting close to MJ's record :)

Oh please! It's something fans (not just MJ fans!) post all the time on YouTube! Do you think all those people really want to go out and kill Justin Bieber? Yes, you are overreacting big time.

Have you seen this? (It's going on for 10 hours, LOL.) I doubt this was done by MJ fans.

So you seriously think if someone gets to beat Thriller MJ fans will kill? And you are not overreacting with such stupid claims? Okkay.

You can be happy for Perry all you want, that doesn't mean others have to be happy for her too. Why should I be happy for her when I think her music is generic crap?

I sure hope this will never happen (nor the killing, nor MJ's thriller record beaten :) ), still, you never know how crazy some fans may be, unfortunately, look at who killed John Lennon...

You don't have to be HAPPY like jumping everywhere in your living room :lol: and you are entitled to not like what she does, I actually don't care about her music as I barely heard it, but I can just say ''good for her'' or ''I don't mind'' or just ignore the news. It's just likely to believe that some MJ fans are hating on her because her name is next to MJ's name in something and I think that's meh.

Oh please! It's something fans (not just MJ fans!) post all the time on YouTube! Do you think all those people really want to go out and kill Justin Bieber? Yes, you are overreacting big time.

Have you seen this? (It's going on for 10 hours, LOL.) I doubt this was done by MJ fans.

No I haven't seen this clip and yes I'm aware that many people, not only MJ fans hates over him. Still, he does what he has to do and I'm happy for him if he gets success, I won't listen to him more because of that, but I don't feel the need to hate him because OTHER people (read media) are putting his name next to MJ's.

So if you don't mind, you also don't have to say I write stupid thing, thank you. :)
Have a nice day.

Back