Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record

Well, she did it with the most gimmicks she and her label could muster. Because of that, in my eyes, MJ is the only one holding the record fair and square.

I see. I think I would have been happy for her if the song went to #1 without all the desperational tactics she used. Michael did it without remixing and cutting costs of the song dramatically etc. I know the media will be like she is better than Michael now but I hope people will know what she had to do to get that song to #1. I would have more respect for her accomplishment if she didn't act so desperate to get it. I know some might say I am thinking wrong that is was business way and all that but I guess I like the old fashioned way.

I'm not pleased about Katy Perry tying with Michael for a record 5 No.1's off one album, because she's not a great artist. The tactics she's used with a crappy remix and cut price to increase sales just shows how low the music industry has sunk, were it has to force history instead of just letting it happen. And Michael always made history by pure nature are popularity, not marketing tactics.

Katy Perry ties MJ with 5 #1 in 1 album

I know what y'all gonna say, and I know y'all gonna hate on the the article title, everybody's gonna start hating on K. Perry because she got a record Michael also has.. I'm not a fan of K. Perry, but I'm happy for her anyway, it must be great to wake up in the morning and know you've had 5 #1.

Katy Perry: The New King of Pop!

http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/katy-perry-makes-hot-100-history-ties-michael-1005318432.story

1180499-katy-perry-collage-617-409.jpg

Katy Perry becomes the first woman, and second artist overall following Michael Jackson, in the 53-year history of the Billboard Hot 100 to send five songs from an album to No. 1, as "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" becomes the fifth chart leader from her Capitol Records set "Teenage Dream."

The historic Hot 100 coronation follows the album's prior No. 1s "California Gurls" (featuring Snoop Dogg), the lead single from "Teenage Dream,"; the title cut; "Firework"; and, "E.T." (featuring Kanye West). The set bowed atop the Billboard 200 album chart dated Sept. 11, 2010, and has sold 1.7 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

While Perry is the first woman to achieve the honor, she is the second artist to manage the feat after Jackson. The late King of Pop sent five songs to No. 1 on the Hot 100 from "Bad" in 1987-88: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (with Siedah Garrett); the title track; "The Way You Make Me Feel"; "Man in the Mirror"; and, "Dirty Diana."

Jackson notched his quintet of No. 1s from "Bad" over nine months and two weeks. Perry's five toppers from "Dream" spans one year, two months and one week, dating to the first week at No. 1 for "Gurls" on the Hot 100 dated June 19, 2010. (The newest Hot 100 is dated Aug. 27, 2011).

While Jackson earned the achievement more quickly, Perry has spent more time atop the Hot 100 in each artist's respective commanding stretch: Jackson's five No. 1s from "Bad" totaled a combined seven weeks in charge. With the first week on top for "Friday," Perry is up to 18 total weeks at No. 1 with her No. 1s from "Dream."

Following "Gurls," which reigned atop the Hot 100 for six weeks, the title song from "Dream" began a two-week command on the chart dated Sept. 18, 2010. "Firework" spent four weeks at No. 1 beginning Dec. 18, 2010, and "E.T." landed at the apex for five weeks starting April 9, 2011.

Perry's streak of five Hot 100 No. 1 singles promoted to radio is the most by a lead artist since Mariah Carey scored a similar run in 1990-91. Whitney Houston holds the chart record with seven consecutive leaders in 1985-88.

"Friday" takes over the Hot 100 summit by spending a second week atop Radio Songs, registering 148 million in all-format audience (up 1%), according to Nielsen BDS. The song rebounds 5-4 on Digital Songs with 156,000 downloads sold (up 14%), according to SoundScan.

Re: Katy Perry tops MJ 5 #1 in 1 album

I saw some videos of her. She's good. She sings live, like a few these days and put on a nice show.

Lets see if in 25 years any of these songs will be remembered....probably not.

I saw some videos of her. She's good. She sings live, like a few these days and put on a nice show.

I don't know much about her career, I don't listen to radio or watch video, but I've seen some and it was entertaining, I'm just happy for her, and no matter how long her career will be, she'll always be the 1st woman to have equaled MJ's record, which is nice.

Biggest mystery for me is why didn't Smooth Criminal get to number 1? Did people have their fingers in their ears when it was released?

Sigh, Whatever. Good for her I guess. :smilerolleyes:

To me, All of the singles on "Bad" should have reached number one. :yes:

Smooth Criminal should have been #1. I love it anyways. It's good for her but I have to be honest. She practically did everything but give the song away for free to get it to #1. I guess people will say that is good business practices but I don't know. I am not a music expert or anything like that. Now I guess she will want to break the record.

I know what y'all gonna say, and I know y'all gonna hate on the the article title, everybody's gonna start hating on K. Perry because she got a record Michael also has.. I'm not a fan of K. Perry, but I'm happy for her anyway, it must be great to wake up in the morning and know you've had 5 #1.

Katy Perry: The New King of Pop!

Really? You think she's the new King of Pop? :bugeyed

Good for her, but she didn't tie his record fair and square..Putting out a remix and slashing the price is pretty much cheating lol...They pulled out all the stops to get this to number one....Mike didn't need all the desperate measures, and never did .....That's like giving the gold medal to an athlete that was on steroids....So, yeah..:smilerolleyes:

Ugh...I pull up Yahoo today & the first thing I see is "Katy Perry ties with King of Pop" as the first news headline...
dry.gif

Considering all the gimmicks she and her people used to get this last number one, this shouldn't even be considered a legit accomplishment.

^ LOL.....I know, I didn't say she was the new King of Pop, the person who started this thread did. (post #1). :)

Does anyone think that now she is gonna release a 6th single and try to break MJ's record?

Last edited:

What a shame it happen with such a crappy song and a blah artist! IMO The music industry is such crap! But, she only tied not broke the record! Plus she is female and MJ is male. So he still holds the title for a Male artist, thankfully! And he earned it fair and square! If the media thinks comparing a singer like Kerry Perry to the legendary Michael Jackson is a fair thing....LMAO

Then they are seriously smokin some heavy sh*t! lol Michael charted when it mattered, the music industry is not the same anymore. It's way to easy to be famous now and get a hit.... WAY TOO EASY! It saddens and angers me how quick they are to always try and replace MJ or try to make someone just as important as he was when their not even close!

Last edited:

Exactly im reading some articlrs, and the media is playing it off like she worked hard for this...lmao not only that they are like: can this pop diva princess dethrone the king of pop?

Cant we write billboard and explain that the cheap tatics katy used shouldnt compare to Mike? After all...Michael did it when it matter. Now you can autotune yoyr voice, dress like a slut and sing meaningless songs and get a #1 in a heartbeat.

Exactly im reading some articlrs, and the media is playing it off like she worked hard for this...lmao not only that they are like: can this pop diva princess dethrone the king of pop?

Cant we write billboard and explain that the cheap tatics katy used shouldnt compare to Mike? After all...Michael did it when it matter. Now you can autotune yoyr voice, dress like a slut and sing meaningless songs and get a #1 in a heartbeat.

I have read the comments on Yahoo News and I wonder if Katy will start to wish she would have never tied the record. LOL. I mean everybody sees through her gimmicks - even non MJ fans - and 99% comment how she didn't deserve it, she'll never be in the same category as MJ, she's talentless and her record is only due to music industry becoming lame and her pathetic tactics to achieve this record.

So even if the media pretend this is such a big thing, I think most people see through it and are not impressed.

It just shows how crap the music industry has become. Happy for her? No. And not out of jealousy or something. If it would be someone deserving I wouldn't care. But she's not a great talent and all the gimmicks she and her record company pulled to achieve this "record" were kind of lame (releasing a remix when it became clear the original single won't make it, cutting its price in half, campaigning through Twitter etc.) To me it's like the olympic medalist who wins by doping.

This won't make her MJ and she will remain the same flash in the pan artists who noone will remember in 10 years (I was probably being generous to her by giving that 10 years). Her music might be "catchy" but it's not the type of music that stands out and will last in people's memories.

As for the topic starter: Katy Perry the New King of Pop? Really? That's how highly you rate Michael? Wow.... just wow. :smilerolleyes:

I'm with you who say if she did it fair and the traditional way I would be happy for her, but she didn't so....nevermind.

Not to mention the fact that Michael did it when competition was fierce from all sides. Nowadays it seems anything will go to number one.

How long until she releases a 6th single for free?

How long until she releases a 6th single for free?

LOL!

You know, I was wondering after Lady Gaga's gimmicks with Amazon, how long before someone will release an album for free or for $0.01 just to beat Thriller...

Maybe we should stop caring altogether, since the music industry changed so much, that these records don't mean the same as they used to when people had to go out and buy a physical record on a normal price.

LOL!

You know, I was wondering after Lady Gaga's gimmicks with Amazon, how long before someone will release an album for free or for $0.01 just to beat Thriller...

Making an album cheap like that won't necessarily make people go out and buy it. The reason why albums don't sell like they used to is not just because of all the illegal downloading, but also because there's just a lack of good, quality music nowadays.

When Lady Gaga priced her album at only $0.99, I still had no desire to buy it.

I'm not worried about anyone out selling Thriller.

I think it is safe to assume Thriller will never be beaten (in our lifetime anyway).

The media are just celebrating this. Remember how they all pretended to give a damn when he died? Fake -$$holes.

Biggest mystery for me is why didn't Smooth Criminal get to number 1? Did people have their fingers in their ears when it was released?

Hahaha. Really? It didn't? How is that even possible?

Making an album cheap like that won't necessarily make people go out and buy it. The reason why albums don't sell like they used to is not just because of all the illegal downloading, but also because there's just a lack of good, quality music nowadays.

When Lady Gaga priced her album at only $0.99, I still had no desire to buy it.

I'm not worried about anyone out selling Thriller.

Maybe, but it certainly helps. I mean when the Lady Gaga album was sold for $0.99 I have seen people writing on forums (and this was not even a music forum) that they will buy it, even though they wouldn't buy it otherwise because they are not really fans of Lady Gaga. They were just curious and at this price it was worth to buy it even for them.

Also it would allow hard-core fans of an artist to buy 20-30 copies each just to boost the sales of their favourite artist. I bet Katy Perry got Nr 1 the same way. At $0.69 and with the big hype around this record, her fans could go and download several copies each to help her achieve the records.

It sucks how this is not about the art any more, but about clever marketing strategies.

Last edited:
I read a few of reports and most reported on the gimmicks (The Hollywood Reported even used red to highlight that a remix was released & the single was selling half price)..so I don't get the media bashing here.

VH1 even went into detail...quoting a previous Village Voice article on how far she had gone for her #1s ...this wasn't her first time using a remix to get a #1. She did it with Kanye West a few months ago.

That was before the Missy Elliott remix. On this we’ll defer to the Village Voice, where, in April, Maura Johnstonpointed to the late-release remix as a growing chart-goosing tactic and noting its particular success for Perry with “E.T.” (#42 before its Kanye “remix”; #1 soon after). Then on Friday, Chris Molanphy explained in his chart column “100 & Single” exactly how Perry was juking the stats: releasing a Missy Elliott remix of “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.),” last Monday, as the song was peaking on the Airplay chart but falling on the Digital Sales chart (the two figures combine to determine the Hot 100), and furthermore discounting all versions of the track to just 69¢ at iTunes and Amazon’s mp3 store.

http://blog.vh1.com/2011-08-17/katy...art-record-for-most-1-singles-from-one-album/

So I don't get all the "media hates MJ, wanted her to tie his record" post... Most important is , the public seems to be aware and not really impressed with these tactics.

These artists are cheapening their own music, and What it does is widening the gap between artists from MJ's era and today's. That's why you keep hearing how crappy music is today...or how dead the industry has been.

Back