Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Jackson_popcorn.gif

Can Katy Perry Pass Michael Jackson For Hot 100 History?

http://www.billboard.com/column/cha...rry-pass-michael-jackson-for-1005324772.story

After joining the King of Pop in making Billboard Hot 100 history, can Katy Perry do him one better?

Perry last week became the first woman, and second artist overall after Michael Jackson, in the 53-year history of the chart to send five songs from one album to No. 1, as "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" became the fifth chart leader from her Capitol Records set "Teenage Dream." "Friday" followed "California Gurls" (featuring Snoop Dogg), the title cut; "Firework"; and, "E.T." (featuring Kanye West) to the summit.

Jackson had been the sole prior artist to mine five Hot 100 No. 1s from one album when "Bad" yielded the toppers "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (with Siedah Garrett); the title track; "The Way You Make Me Feel"; "Man in the Mirror"; and, "Dirty Diana" in 1987-88.

Now that Perry has equaled Jackson's chart achievement, can she become the first artist in the Hot 100's archives to score six No. 1s from one set?

The road to such uncharted (literally) waters would begin with Capitol. When asked by Billboard, however, the label was undecided about whether it plans to promote a sixth song from "Dream" to pop radio. ("We want to savor five right now, but in the world of Katy, you never know," says Greg Thompson, executive VP/marketing and promotion. "This historic achievement just speaks to Katy's hard work").

As the label considers its next step in the "Dream" sequence, if there is one, here are a few options that the label could pursue:

- Release a sixth single. The catchy, uptempo "Hummingbird Heartbeat" is perhaps best in line with the album's five No. 1s. The midtempo "The One That Got Away" and "Pearl" could also be single candidates. Ballad "Not Like the Movies," which Perry performed at the 53rd Grammy Awards in February, would offer a change of pace and likely find support at adult radio. The cheeky "Peacock," a No. 1 on Dance/Club Play Songs, would be a tough go at pop radio due to its risqué lyrics.

- Repackage "Teenage Dream," adding new music. In recent years, Rihanna rereleased "Good Girl Gone Bad," in its "Reloaded" form, tacking on new singles "Take a Bow" and "Disturbia," both of which topped the Hot 100. (As Billboard merged listings for the releases into one chart entry, they count, for historical purposes, as No. 1s from the same album as "Umbrella," the lead single from "Good"; similar to "Don't Forget About Us," which gave Mariah Carey a second No. 1 from "The Emancipation From Mimi," following "We Belong Together," after the album was reissued. If Capitol released a Perry album containing enough new material to chart as its own release, i.e., such bridge efforts as Ke$ha's "Cannibal" or Lady Gaga's "The Fame Monster," Billboard would not consider any singles from the set as from "Dream," but instead from that new album).

- Go out on a high note. Give Perry, and even her fans, a break from her constant stream of hit singles over the past year, avoiding the risk of overexposure for her music.

One of the main drivers in Perry's "Dream" domination has been radio, with all five promoted singles having reached No. 1 on the all-format Radio Songs ranking and the mainstream top 40-based Pop Songs tally.

What advice for Capitol do programmers have? A majority of mainstream and adult pop PDs polled by Billboard favor the label affording Perry the chance at earning an honor that eluded even the format's late King.

"Katy Perry and the team at Capitol have achieved something that only Michael Jackson has, so how could they not go for at least one more single to break the record?" asks MoJoe Roberts, program director of Citadel-owned KHOP (@95-1)/Modesto, Calif. "There are still a few tracks on 'Dream' that could reach the top spot, so I say go for it."

"Perry continues to research well for most pop stations, so one would assume that the label could probably take a shot at a sixth single," echoes Chase Murphy, PD of Entercom's WFBC (B937)/Greenville, S.C. "Radio embraces artists that supply quality songs for the format, so I don't think that overexposure would be an issue.

"Unless Capitol is planning on rolling out a bunch of new artists in the fourth quarter, why the heck not go for a sixth single?" ponders Murphy. "It would most likely research faster than most songs because of the familiarity of her sound and the exposure of the album.

"Records are meant to be broken."

Clear Channel WXKS (Kiss 108)/Boston PD Dylan Sprague theorizes that, "'Peacock' is a great song - it stands out on the CD - but I would question its pop radio viability. We would have a tough time playing that. I don't feel like that song leaves much to interpretation."

Still, says Sprague, the five smashes from "Dream" "aren't any more or any less burned out in research than other hits from the same period.

"Would I love another Katy track for the fall? Absolutely."

Rich Davis, operations manager of Clear Channel's Nashville, Tenn., cluster, which includes WRVW (107.5 the River), votes for a "repackaged album with bonus cuts," adding that his research for the "Dream" singles doesn't reveal listener fatigue for the project. "I think it's because all the singles are different enough in sound that it hasn't been like hearing the same song in five different releases," Davis says.

Not all programmers, however, believe that Perry should continue to test her chart fortunes.

"Capitol shouldn't release another single," counters Sue O'Neil, OM of Buffalo's Entercom-owned mainstream pop WKSE (Kiss 98.5) and adult pop WTSS (Star 102.5), noting that, "if radio wants to play a song from the album, it will do so with or without an official label release."

Still, says O'Neil, "I don't in any way think that Perry is overexposed. She constantly keeps the water coolers buzzing with her fashions and cool videos. I do, however, think that I'm ready to hear what she has up her sleeve next. That's not because I'm tired of her, but because I like her.

"I think she's here to stay."

Charese Fruge programs two adult pop signals, CBS Radio's KSCF (Sophie@103.7)/San Diego and KMXB (Mix 94.1)/Las Vegas. She notes that while there is "little-to-no audience exhaustion on 'Teenage Dream' and 'Firework' for us, there is on the more recent 'E.T.' and 'Friday,' as adult pop stations are moving more quickly to keep up with Perry's mass-appeal. Adult pop stations are spinning her singles more to keep up with her popularity.

"Regardless," says Fruge, "Everything on this album has been a home run and Perry has just accomplished a major chart milestone and one in her career. But, I think that she should take a break while she's on top of the world and, instead of risking overexposure, keep everyone wanting more ... and extremely anxious for new material."

Fellow CBS Radio programmer Steve Davis of WIAD (94.7 Fresh FM)/Washington, D.C., concurs. "Keep the string of five No. 1s intact so that nothing can diminish the record. It's like throwing a perfect game vs. a no-hitter. Every time someone references the album, it's all about, 'every song released was a No. 1.' Why tempt fate?"

Plus, says Davis, "We need a Katy break. I love her, my listeners love her, but it's like eating rocky road every night. I love it, but every now and then I need a break and want vanilla with caramel sauce."

While ruling the Hot 100 with a sixth single from one album would mark a first in the survey's history, previous sixth releases from albums have found success. Three sets have even sported seven top 10s each.

Jackson notched seven Hot 100 top 10s from "Thriller" (1983-84), capped by "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (No. 10) and the title cut (No. 4). The last of Bruce Springsteen's seven top 10s from "Born in the USA" (1984-86) - "I'm Goin' Down" and "My Hometown" - reached Nos. 9 and 6, respectively.

And, in a discography that Capitol and Perry would find encouraging, Janet Jackson rose to No. 1 with the sixth and seventh commercial singles from "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814" (1989-91): "Black Cat" and "Love Will Never Do (Without You)." The album's depth further showed as an eighth track, "State of the World," reached No. 5 on Radio Songs (but, due to chart rules at the time that prevented non-commercially-available singles from appearing on the Hot 100, never graced the big chart).

As for the artist with whom Perry is now linked in Hot 100 history, how did Michael Jackson follow his five leaders from "Bad"? Sixth single "Another Part of Me" stopped at No. 11. Seventh single "Smooth Criminal" returned Jackson to the top 10, peaking at No. 7 in 1989.

I have never seen such desperation to break Michael´s record!
I think it can turn against them - Katy and her rec. company..., I wish it would...

lol At first I think most of us are a little sensitive to say that the media wanting so much to break MJ's record.
However, billboard just release this article?! Ok...........I think they really want to break the record.
Whatever...........Even she break it, she still doesn't on the same level as MJ.
I don't hate Katy but this is the fact. and I don't think I bias because I am fan of MJ. lol

I say let her have her candy, whatever- :smilerolleyes:

Remember when Boyz II Men surpassed Elvis? Who talks about it now?.

I wasn't even aware Boyz II Men surpassed Elvis's record (which record did they break). But I do think the fact some of us (like me) don't know they did or have forgotten is because of a racial bias in the mainstream music media (that's just my opinion). Not so much that Boyz II Men's record has been forgotten (as most records by bands and artists are often forgotten, in the scheme of things the music speaks for it's self not statistics/records), but the hype in getting that record.I doubt Mariah Carey will get has much support from Billboard when she closes in on The Beatles and Elvis's record No.1's in the Billboard Charts.

It looks like the media and specifically Billboard Magazine did their best to help Katy Perry tie with Michael's record for 5 No.1's off one album. And I think they will do everything they can to help her break Michael's record, if her record company decide to release another single. This record of Michael having 5 No.1's off one album, was never given much hype when Michael set the record in 1988 and was barely mentioned until Katy Perry came close to Michael's record a month or two ago. In fact, Michael never got much credit for setting that record, because the media were stilling trying to make out Michael wasn't as successful with the Bad album as he was the Thriller album. Even though Bad was Michael's most successful run of singles in the Billboard charts.

In the long run even if Katy Perry does break Michael's record. It won't do any harm to Michael's legacy in the long run. For Katy Perry and the mainstream music media it will be something to celebrate for a short while until Katy Perry releases and new album. From then on Katy Perry will have the "pressure" of following up her record success, with even more success with and I doubt she can sustain breaking new records and high album sales etc that Michael did post Thriller and Bad with even less than half the pressure Michael was under from the media who always wanted him to flop. Even his flop albums like Invincible were huge success. Like most fans here my issue isn't with Katy Perry, but the cheap remix marking tactics that have been used, and the media bias to specifically make this more about the putting Michael down than her success with her singles.

This is so pathetic!! I really feel sad for the world of music today, if they so badly want to break the record then go right ahead... but remember this, those Katy Perry songs will last for a good few years and then will be completely forgotten, unlike Michael who will be remembered for the next 500 years as a Legend of Music History! You can't possibly compare iconic lyrics like "Man In The Mirror" to "Last Friday Night", the timeless melody of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" to "Teenage Dream" or the outstanding vocals and breathtaking energy of "Dirty Diana" to "California Girls"??

So do what you want, but the songs itself don't need a stupid billboard record (that just lost all credibility) they will remain timeless classics that will be heard, enjoyed and inspiring for all the future generations... while Katy Perry's singles will be the "hey remember that song from 2 years ago?? What was it called again?"

MICHAEL IS "THE" LEGEND ON HIS OWN! With or without those stupid records, and forever he will have the biggest selling album in music history which is the record of all time! So all who want to break Michael's legacy can bite me! =)

Michael Jackson was the first artist in history to earn FIVE number one singles from one album, "Bad," on the Billboard Hot 100 list. In the last few weeks, his historic record has been tied by Katie Perry. Her album "Teenage Dream" has tied Michael's record with the song "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.). We have an opportunity to get a 6th song, "Smooth Criminal," from Michael's "Bad" album to number 1.

Between 1979 and 1980, Michael became the first artist ever to earn four number one singles from his album, "Off The Wall." He surpassed this record with five number one singles from his album, "Bad," between 1987 and 1988. The five songs to go to number one from this album are "I Just Can't Stop Lovin' You," "Man In The Mirror," "Dirty Diana," "Bad," and "The Way You Make Me Feel." Another song from the album, "Smooth Criminal," reached a high of number 7 on the charts.

Number ones on the Billboard Hot 100 List are determined by sales of a song in a 7 day period. The time period is from Sunday to Saturday in a specific week. We need to keep Michael in the lead for the most number one singles from an album. There is a current effort underway to get Michael's song "Smooth Criminal" to number 1 by the end of the sales period which is this Saturday, August 27, 2011. This song as released in its original form is still eligible to go to #1. Please help in this effort by doing the following:

1. Go to Itunes.com and download the song "Smooth Criminal" even if you already have it.
www.ITunes.com

2. Do not purchase Katie Perry's song, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)

You may have already been alerted to this effort. Thank you to those of you who have already participated by downloading "Smooth Criminal." Thank you in advance to those of you who have not done so yet.

If you discuss this with other Michael Jackson supporters, please do not do so in a way that will alert others outside the Michael Jackson community of our plans.

MJTruthNow would also like to remind you to pre-order Joe Vogel's book, Man In The Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson. The book is due out in November 2011 and will be available at your local bookstore or at www.amazon.com.

Thank you for supporting Michael Jackson's artistic legacy.

MJTruthNow

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...PCyBxRfv_bLxNMoWFs4Xi7j0idaGfWCWlIS5pzPb06sg=

^I was thinking the same thing on page 5 of this thread, but here is the response I got so I don't think it is possible:

No, because Billboard Hot 100 is chart for the CURRENT songs but if a lot of fans bought enough Smooth Criminal copies it'll be charted on Billboard Hot Digital Songs.
In theory song like Smooth Criminal can re-chart Billboard Hot 100 if the record company is promoting the song as re-release, as a current single (pushed to radio) but that will never happen with old MJ songs which were charted before. BTW when MJ died :( he had 6 songs in Top 10 (actually Top 8) on Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart and few of those had enough points to be in Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 chart but that wasn't allowed because all songs were recurrents.

If Sony re-release BAD album with "new" song(s) (something like Thriller 25 album) and one of them is some kind of new version of Smooth Criminal (something like The Girl Is Mine 2008) it can be charted on Hot 100 and if that song reach #1 it will be counted as 6th #1 from BAD.

This record of Michael having 5 No.1's off one album, was never given much hype when Michael set the record in 1988 and was barely mentioned until Katy Perry came close to Michael's record a month or two ago. In fact, Michael never got much credit for setting that record, because the media were stilling trying to make out Michael wasn't as successful with the Bad album as he was the Thriller album. Even though Bad was Michael's most successful run of singles in the Billboard charts.

Exactly. How odd that it suddenly became such an important record. When Michael had it hardly anybody mentioned it in articles about Michael and basically only fans knew about it. Instead they said how Bad was a flop. Now, suddenly it's an important record and "chart history".

In the long term this won't matter much. Smooth Criminal only got to Nr 7, yet I doubt any of Perry's songs will remain as memorable (or memorable at all, for that matter).

It looks like the media and specifically Billboard Magazine did their best to help Katy Perry tie with Michael's record for 5 No.1's off one album. And I think they will do everything they can to help her break Michael's record...

In the long run even if Katy Perry does break Michael's record. It won't do any harm to Michael's legacy in the long...

Both remarks are so true!

To ad to the bold statement:
In no freaking way KP can harm Michael's legacy.
She can't even touch the the legacy of the BAD album.
May she break this 5 No. 1 singles record.. If she (i don't even think she is), her record label, billboard & the media is so desperate to break Michael's record, that alone speaks volumes.
BUT good luck with selling 30 million units of her dream album, as Michael managed to sell of BAD!

Last edited:
benscarr;3465895 said:
I wasn't even aware Boyz II Men surpassed Elvis's record (which record did they break).
“End of the Road” surpassed Elvis double-sided single “Don't be cruel/Hound dog” for length of stay at #1 on the Billboard charts (12 weeks, Elvis had 11 weeks). And even though I understand and I see the racial bias, common sense tells me we can't compare Boyz II Men with Elvis, even though I don't like Elvis (at all, believe me lol) I can't take away his status of a legend. That's all I'm saying.

By the way, I heard Jay-Z surpassed Elvis in some record, if someone knows this, please post it :)

benscarr;3465895 said:
In the long run even if Katy Perry does break Michael's record. It won't do any harm to Michael's legacy in the long run. For Katy Perry and the mainstream music media it will be something to celebrate for a short while until Katy Perry releases and new album.

THAT'S what I'm saying :yes:

lucilla;3466236 said:
“End of the Road” surpassed Elvis double-sided single “Don't be cruel/Hound dog” for length of stay at #1 on the Billboard charts (12 weeks, Elvis had 11 weeks). And even though I understand and I see the racial bias, common sense tells me we can't compare Boyz II Men with Elvis, even though I don't like Elvis (at all, believe me lol) I can't take away his status of a legend. That's all I'm saying.

I agree. Even though I prefer to listen to a Boyz II Men song from their prime than an Elvis song and I'm not a fan of Elvis, I can see he was more significant in music history than BIIM, no matter which one of them holds this record.

I hope next year they re-release Bad for the 25th anniversary and a new song from that time and maybe we can get it #1. It's pathetic how the media just want to bring Michael down. He is gone now and they still feel the need to do it. My feelings on this has nothing to do with Katy Perry. Michael didn't get much credit for anything. Michael's legacy isn't going anywhere. It would be nice to see him get more respect the way the Beatles, Elvis etc. get.

what i add here. its also easy, cause what someone said here. the cost for downloading the song is only 75 cents?
compare it with the price in the 80's or 90's, or before this new shitty chartsystem was made. the cost for a single was 6, 7 or 8 euros. everyone would listen and look carfullly before buying the single.
that is another fact its so easy to get to number one.
u cant compare a number 1 from the 80's wih today.
all these industry made records from today doesnt count. this isnt making history, breaking news, avievement.

why the hell did they changed it to this stupid system? radio station always playing songs not only the song maybe is good, they playing it cause the record company wants it and the dj likes it.
and this counts for the charts. stupid.
charts are only about sales. otherwise u can say i made my own personal charts, and the whole world have to accept this. :no:

^I agree, it's a lot less impressive that she's been able to match his record, given all the advantages she enjoys, as I said in my previous post. However, it's not exactly Perry's fault that her songs are popular. I think the media is to blame for over hyping this and trying to make it more of a big deal than it actually is. It's their usual distortion of the facts, so there really is nothing special. Like I said, the fact that no one has come close to beating Michael's record, even with all the advantages of digital downloads/special single/album sales (think: Perry songs were going for 69 cents or something, Gaga's album was sold for 99 cents on Amazon, a tactic which actually ended up backfiring and reflecting badly on her sales). Maybe Perry's team's tactic will also end badly, but anyway...it really shouldn't count if a good percentage of the sales are made simply because it's a good deal (69 cent single, 99 cent album, etc.) It's less impressive that way.

^I agree, it's a lot less impressive that she's been able to match his record, given all the advantages she enjoys, as I said in my previous post. However, it's not exactly Perry's fault that her songs are popular. I think the media is to blame for over hyping this and trying to make it more of a big deal than it actually is. It's their usual distortion of the facts, so there really is nothing special. Like I said, the fact that no one has come close to beating Michael's record, even with all the advantages of digital downloads/special single/album sales (think: Perry songs were going for 69 cents or something, Gaga's album was sold for 99 cents on Amazon, a tactic which actually ended up backfiring and reflecting badly on her sales). Maybe Perry's team's tactic will also end badly, but anyway...it really shouldn't count if a good percentage of the sales are made simply because it's a good deal (69 cent single, 99 cent album, etc.) It's less impressive that way.

Such cheap prices make sales almost like Internet polls. When a single is only $0.69 then you can get your fans buy several copies. Especially when you are campaigning for a record...

Well, when the Bad album is reissued we should try and give Michael another number one hit

Such cheap prices make sales almost like Internet polls. When a single is only $0.69 then you can get your fans buy several copies. Especially when you are campaigning for a record...

It can easily be said that Michael earned his record 5 No.1's, where as Katy Perry bought her record of 5 No.1's. Katy Perry having her 5 No.1's is like a student getting a degree by paying for it purely for prestige instead of doing the course work and earning a degree by merit.

It can easily be said that Michael earned his record 5 No.1's, where as Katy Perry bought her record of 5 No.1's. Katy Perry having her 5 No.1's is like a student getting a degree by paying for it purely for prestige instead of doing the course work and earning a degree by merit.

Very well said.

I dunno, don't students have to pay or at least apply for loans to be able to get their degree, and then have to either resort to certain unethical tactics :naughty: or else jump through irrelevant and very stupid hoops to get it? Also, don't rich yet incredibly stupid people get into prestigious universities all the time? Overall, a bad analogy. :p

I'd say, it's simple--Perry enjoyed several advantages over Michael, yet was still unable to surpass his record. You have to give her some merit--if her songs really sucked, she wouldn't have gotten where she is even with the price cuts. However, she did, so she gets some credit (although it is very unimpressive considering the marketing strategies involved). Michael, on the other hand, did not pull any marketing strategies to get his singles to no. 01, and did not enjoy the technological/marketing advantages Perry did by default simply for being a pop artist in the digital music age.

i stoped paying attention to records when glee broke the record just remember its a different era now i think its more a crime smooth criminal wasent number one

Eh, her music wont last for generations to come..MJ Still the King

Back