Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

who cares if he made it. 5 number ones. thats only made by the company. also think these chart system today is manipulated. I just can't stop loving you Bad The way you make me feel Man in the mirror Dirty Diana these are one of the greatest legendary world hit songs in music history. everyone on the planet knows them, and knows the lyrics, and is singing and dancing to it. who can name the songs of perry? or can name only one hit of here that made music history? legendary? nothing. thats all because of this manipulated system in the world. in this times its so easy to get number one. after michael jackson was the first one to get directly to number one, its much easier to get the number one. and in today they counting airplay,... in the past there was only sales. i'm 100% sure, if u are using the same stupid system from today, BAD would have 7 number 1 singles. thats for sure.

who cares if he made it. 5 number ones. thats only made by the company. also think these chart system today is manipulated. I just can't stop loving you Bad The way you make me feel Man in the mirror Dirty Diana these are one of the greatest legendary world hit songs in music history. everyone on the planet knows them, and knows the lyrics, and is singing and dancing to it. who can name the songs of perry? or can name only one hit of here that made music history? legendary? nothing. thats all because of this manipulated system in the world. in this times its so easy to get number one. after michael jackson was the first one to get directly to number one, its much easier to get the number one. and in today they counting airplay,... in the past there was only sales. i'm 100% sure, if u are using the same stupid system from today, BAD would have 7 number 1 singles. thats for sure.

I'm sorry but nothing you say can take away from the truth that it is an amazing accomplishment. If it were truly such an easy thing to do then why has it taken nearly 30 years? Whether you like Katy Perry or her music (which is very popular and very memorable to anyone growing up in our modern world) this is very much something for Katy and her fans to be celebrating. No need to try and diminish this achievement. Also, Perry has been in the top 10 consecutively for over a year now. That's certainly going to be a record that is very hard to beat. It also seems to suggest that America is very much in love with her songs and I have no doubt that future generations will remember the music. No need to be bitter about it. Don't like it? Oh well, move on. It doesn't effect MJ or his fans.

I wouldn't quite compare Christina Aguilera, Pink, and Vanessa Carlton (among the artists she's written for) to Katy Perry though. There's at least some substance in their songs. Katy Perry is extremely bubblegum. She isn't doing much for the landscape of pop music at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with that particularly, but I think it rubs people the wrong way how these news articles are blowing this matched record out of proportion like it means anything significant.

I was also surprised because "Last Friday Night" hasn't been getting much airplay in my area. Always have Z100 (NYC's top 40 station) on and for a supposedly top 5 single, I've barely heard it... Still hear E.T. all the time. It must be doing well on iTunes/other formats, 'cause the airplay alone seems pretty minimal.

Her label can boast all they want, but at the end of the day "Teenage Dream" has only sold like 1.7 million copies in the USA. That's pretty poor for an album with 5 number-one singles, even in this day and age. It shows that people don't like her music enough to actually purchase her album.

Not to be rude, but do you live under a rock? "Last Friday Night"'s strongest benefactor IS airplay. It's been and still is the heaviest rotated song on radio just like with all her other tracks from Teenage Dream. They've each been #1 in airplay and have set records. That's something even MJ's BAD hits did not do. None of them were #1 in airplay or sales.

And as for the album itself - that's also not true at all. The album is still in the top of the Billboard album charts and has been for over a year. Explain that. If no one liked it, it wouldn't still be sitting pretty week in and week out. Just because people didn't flock to buy it the first week in droves doesn't mean that no one likes it. The album sales have been very steady and healthy. She's outselling most new releases and really her albums sales are rather great compared to most. There are only very few instances where an album sells major like Adele or Susan Boyle and that's only because their buying public are older generations who still buy with their wallets.

Look, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or diminish MJ's record but I wish the same could be said for the very clearly overly defensive and sensitive MJ fans. It's obvious many are bitter and are willing to say or do anything to make it appear as if Katy's tying his record means nothing at all. It's unfair and silly. There's no need to feel threatened because MJ is a legend and is truly untouchable and if everyone really felt that way and were secure enough then this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I don't think it's nice to try and rain on someones parade like that. That's all I'm saying. And I know most will deny what I have to say but that's to be expected.

I just wish my fellow MJ fans wouldn't flip out every time someone ties or breaks an MJ record or gets compared to him (which no one is actually doing with Katy - you'd have to be mental). I've learned to take things like this with a grain of salt. Can't sweat the small stuff. Lots of pop tarts are gunning for Madonna's crown but I ain't sweating it cuz I know she's a living legend and irreplaceable. I really don't want to argue this anymore. I've already pointed out that Katy's success is legitimate and that she deserves it and so I just want to congratulate her. She has tyed the #1's record, has the longest top 10 streak in history, and also has the most biggest selling singles in history. So yeah, that's something to be proud of. Unlike some, I can be happy for other people when good things happen for them.

P.S. I'm not saying you or anyone in particular is guilty of throwing shade at Katy or feeling threatened. It's just the general consensus I've gotten from the many negative and somewhat nasty responses I've read. Please don't take offense.

California Gurls
#1 CHR (7 weeks) (13,240 Spins)
#1 Airplay (3 weeks) (144,071 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (5 weeks)
#1 H100 (6 weeks)
#1 HAC (9 weeks) (4,692 spins)
#4 RHY (4,996 spins)

Teenage Dream
#1 CHR (4 weeks) (12,963 Spins)
#1 Airplay (1 week) (128.832 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (2 weeks)
#1 H100 (2 weeks)
#1 HAC (4 weeks) (4,218 spins)
#12 RHY (2,870 spins)

Firework
#1 CHR (4 weeks) (13,885 Spins)
#1 Airplay (1 week) (145,099 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (3 weeks)
#1 H100 (4 weeks)
#1 HAC (5 weeks) (4,556 spins)
#7 RHY (3,613 spins)

E.T.
#1 CHR (6 weeks) (14780 Spins)
#1 Airplay (5 weeks) (151.829 AI?)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (7 weeks)
#1 H100 (5 weeks)
#2 HAC (4,390 spins)
#1 RHY (4 weeks) (5,335 spins)

Last Friday Night (so far)
#1 CHR (3 weeks) (14,935 Spins)
#1 Airplay (2 weeks) (147.716 AI)
#1 Dance (1 week)
#1 Digital (2 weeks)
#1 Hot 100 (1 week)
#2 HAC (4696 Spins)
#9 RHY (3600 Spins)

Peacock
#1 Dance (1 week)

Last edited:
^^ To me, I couldn't care less if Katy Perry breaks records or not...In my opinion, she just doesn't deserve it...It has nothing to do with MJ or any other artists lol...Her music is just garbage in my opinion...I just feel people's expectations for good quality music has been lowered in this day and age...Music just ain't what it used to be like...lol...

I feel if anyone would deserve the record, it'd be Lady Gaga...I'm not a hardcore fan, but her music is better than Katy Perry's, in my opinion...

^^ To me, I couldn't care less if Katy Perry breaks records or not...In my opinion, she just doesn't deserve it...It has nothing to do with MJ or any other artists lol...Her music is just garbage in my opinion...I just feel people's expectations for good quality music has been lowered in this day and age...Music just ain't what it used to be like...lol...

I feel if anyone would deserve the record, it'd be Lady Gaga...I'm not a hardcore fan, but her music is better than Katy Perry's, in my opinion...

You're entitled to your opinion and I won't debate it but please do keep in mind that the very thing you've just said has been said on repeat since the beginning of recorded music. It happens with every single generation. Times change but that's one thing that hasn't. Used to, it was the Beatles and Elvis who had ruined music. Look at them now. Just sayin'.

Good for her.

About MJ sigles not lasting too long in the charts, as KP singles do and many other artists singles. Well back in the day people bought the single, when they didn't want the whole album, because of one or two songs they like. So thats why Michael's singles most of the time had short charts life, cause his albums were bougth mostly then the singles. Also remixes became popular in the 90's. before that was only radio edit and instrumental on the singles.

In the 90's I had the feeling, that people buy the album even for one song they like. eventrough the maxi-cd's were also very popular.

Today like Linday perry says, you download the songs you like and screw the rest of the album. And that explaines the album sales and the single sales (4mio per song :bugeyed) of KP.

And todays rules for charts positions are different to back then. If it was needed to sell 500k to get at #1, today is only 50k. and now with the downloads, like it's been said, totally different story.

I don't know if it's understandable, what i'm trying to say.

You're entitled to your opinion and I won't debate it but please do keep in mind that the very thing you've just said has been said on repeat since the beginning of recorded music. It happens with every single generation. Times change but that's one thing that hasn't. Used to, it was the Beatles and Elvis who had ruined music. Look at them now. Just sayin'.

But you just did debate it :lol:

I just don't like her music andI don't think she deserves it. :D

We all have to remember that Michael singles were generally World No.1's whereas most other artists can only get No1's in a few select countries..........

Here in the UK, there has been very little mention of Katy Perry's No.1s in the entertainment news.......mainly because the Billboard doesn't concern anyone here.............actually, music never really gets mentioned in the news any more!!!!

And also remember that outstanding artists like Michael Jackson will always get radio airplay, even 20 or 30 years after the song was released............many of those songs weren't even No.1's, like Smooth Criminal..........

And if it still bothers you, then the best thing you can do is try to get Smooth Criminal to go No.1.........but that is difficult since many of us are in financial hardship......and the fact that many MJ fans do not live in the USA (like me) and only sales within the USA will be counted for the billboard!!!!

Good for her.

About MJ sigles not lasting too long in the charts, as KP singles do and many other artists singles. Well back in the day people bought the single, when they didn't want the whole album, because of one or two songs they like. So thats why Michael's singles most of the time had short charts life, cause his albums were bougth mostly then the singles. Also remixes became popular in the 90's. before that was only radio edit and instrumental on the singles.

In the 90's I had the feeling, that people buy the album even for one song they like. eventrough the maxi-cd's were also very popular.

Today like Linday perry says, you download the songs you like and screw the rest of the album. And that explaines the album sales and the single sales (4mio per song :bugeyed) of KP.

And todays rules for charts positions are different to back then. If it was needed to sell 500k to get at #1, today is only 50k. and now with the downloads, like it's been said, totally different story.

How come it dropped from 500k to 50k to get a number 1? If that was the case back when Michael would have more #1 songs too. People like Rihanna are getting #1's in a short time (years) compared to other artists from before.

that was just an example. If I remember right, in the 90's it was 50-100k to get #1. cause back than, maxi-cd were very common. after 2000 was not more than 10k cd-singles. even those are exaggerated, so don't count on how accurate i am. But now with downloads, the figures would be much higher.

Katy is good, but MJ is super.
Besides 5 No.1s from Bad, Another Part of Me is No.1 in Billboard R&B chart. Liberian Girl is No.1 in Irish Chart and Smooth Crimimal is No.1 in several European Pop charts.

"I wanna see your Peacock, c*ck c*ck, Your Peacock" really?... The songs are catchy, thats Y its on top of the charts... But is there a meaning? nope... It pisses me off that Her songs are being compared to Michael because it has NO Substance. I love Katy perry but her songs are just catchy... thats what they are... with NO purpose other than to sell records. Michael's 5 #1's--> IJCSLY, BAD, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana, MITM... The media has always had something against Michael and they've been pushing "Last Friday Night" to be on top with all the articles that say "IS Katy gonna be the next Queen of Pop?, One Hit away from being tied with MJ's records....etc..."

Records are meant to be broken and I'm happy for Katy that she got all her success but comparing her songs to Mike's?...

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Good for her.

This is pretty much the only issue I have with this. I don't have a problem with Katy, I even have her Teenage Dream album.
But you can't really compare records that were made 20 years a go with the musical landscape right now.
That's like someone like Rihanna getting top 10 hit after top 10 hit catching up with artists who have been around much longer and took a longer time to achieve it. Times have changed it's much cheaper and easier to buy singles now than it was back then.
Same reason album sales were bigger back then than they are mostly now. (of course there are exceptions to that)
It makes the records seem like they mean nothing. And frankly the way things are right now they don't mean much anymore.

I don't understand wy people don't think about stuff like that. Just like it is much more common to make a whole lot of money on tour and then saying look so and so is more succesfull than for instance Janet was at the same age. Well yeah people charge a lot more for tickets now. I don't think you can say someone broke a record like that because the times were different.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit. The thing is Michael's songs will alwas be remembered and technically he still has the record he just shares it with her now. That's all really. Btw I didn't even hear a mention of this anywhere except online so really most people don't even seem to care.

I'm sorry but nothing you say can take away from the truth that it is an amazing accomplishment. If it were truly such an easy thing to do then why has it taken nearly 30 years? Whether you like Katy Perry or her music (which is very popular and very memorable to anyone growing up in our modern world) this is very much something for Katy and her fans to be celebrating. No need to try and diminish this achievement. Also, Perry has been in the top 10 consecutively for over a year now. That's certainly going to be a record that is very hard to beat. It also seems to suggest that America is very much in love with her songs and I have no doubt that future generations will remember the music. No need to be bitter about it. Don't like it? Oh well, move on. It doesn't effect MJ or his fans.
it was easy. and its easy today to get a number 1. look what shity songs are on number one in the usa the last 10 years. the charts are mostly made of the music industry and not the listeners/buyer. and like i said this new system with airplay, points,... is stupid and manipulated. 'til the 90's it was ok. mostly big songs at the top, and songs people remember 10 years later. they are legentary. and her songs are not legentary, and not these big songs. and you really believe people buying her music cause its so good? hello??? mostly of the music today is only selling cause of this business thats made since 10 years. since there are no more that much big, and i mean really big legends, in the business like in the 80's and 90's, they are searching and trying to create new big stars. but it still doesnt happen. all these b-stars like gaga, perry, bieber, eminem, swift, black eyed peas will not manage it to get this status like the big stars in the past. they will never be legends. in a few years, no one will remember and talk about perry and her songs.

Last edited:
Katy Perry is one of a number of today's artists who make catchy music that you can't get out of your head for days. Will it be remembered in 5 years? Probably not but when people hear it on the radio and they can't get the songs out of their heads, they will log on to iTunes and buy them. Of course, half price singles and remixes help as well. :lol: Do I think Katy Perry deserves this record? Not at all but I would be embarrassed for her if she didn't equal it after all the marketing schemes she pulled.

^My opinion.

it was easy. and its easy today to get a number 1. look what shity songs are on number one in the usa the last 10 years. the charts are mostly made of the music industry and not the listeners/buyer. and like i said this new system with airplay, points,... is stupid and manipulated. 'til the 90's it was ok. mostly big songs at the top, and songs people remember 10 years later. they are legentary. and her songs are not legentary, and not these big songs. and you really believe people buying her music cause its so good? hello??? mostly of the music today is only selling cause of this business thats made since 10 years. since there are no more that much big, and i mean really big legends, in the business like in the 80's and 90's, they are searching and trying to create new big stars. but it still doesnt happen. all these b-stars like gaga, perry, bieber, eminem, swift, black eyed peas will not manage it to get this status like the big stars in the past. they will never be legends. in a few years, no one will remember and talk about perry and her songs.

That's your opinion. Crappy songs were #1 in the 80's too. Not all of MJ's competition was stellar. Hell, plenty of corny acts kept him from the top spot or knocked him out of it. Times definitely change but not everything. Mostly it's a generational thing. People like to look back with rose colored glasses. I just wish we could say congrats and move on. Why do so many have to be so bitter (and yes it is bitterness) about it? Yes, we're MJ fans, but so what? Records are meant to be broken and it's bound to happen sooner or later. It doesn't make the legendary MJ any less incredible. It doesn't have any affect on him at all. Every fan base always flips out and trashes whatever artist beats or ties their favorite artists records and I think it's sad. Records are fun and all but it's not what I base my fandom on but unfortunately judging by the clearly biased and nasty comments in this thread, it can't be said for everyone. I'm no longer replying to this thread because I've more than proven that Katy has earned and deserves what she has and I don't want to associate any further with the type of negative, defensive, and jealous/bitter fans that are participating. It's depressing and immature. Anyway, I hope the rest of you have fun with the hate parade but I'm out.

Have a good day!

That's your opinion. Crappy songs were #1 in the 80's too. Not all of MJ's competition was stellar. Hell, plenty of corny acts kept him from the top spot or knocked him out of it. Times definitely change but not everything. Mostly it's a generational thing. People like to look back with rose colored glasses.

Gotta agree about that! I downloaded some of the full award shows from here and I admit I LOL-ed about some of the songs that MJ was competing against! That really opened my eyes and I stopped saying music is crap nowadays. There has always been bad music and I wish people would stop we have worst music now. Though...I really don't like Katy Perry music :mello:

^^ On the other hand, I was watching award ceremonies from the 80s where Michael's competition were artists like Prince, George Michael, Sting, U2 etc. While not everybody was great in the 80s either, but I feel we had a LOT more original and creative artists. I do feel the industry in general is a lot weaker, a lot less creative now.

Of course, I still don't understand how Paula Abdul's Straight up could beat Michael's Smooth Criminal for "Best Video" in the 1989 AMAs, LOL.

Anyway, I hope the rest of you have fun with the hate parade but I'm out.

Come on, don't be like that...I think everyone has explained their opinions and why they feel that way...I don't see where you're seeing the hate here....I think you're throwing that word around a little too loosely, and I would say people don't really appreciate that...People just don't feel she deserves it, that's all ...Music is subjective, doesn't mean people are looking at this in a hateful way...People's opinions seem to be more a thorn in YOUR side than Katy Perry's a thorn in ours :lol:

@respect77, I totally agree with you...I share pretty much all the same sentiments as you when it comes to music nowadays compared to in the past ...

Last edited:
Wait. Straight up beat Smooth Criminal for best video? Really? No offence to Paula but Smooth Criminal is a classic and Michael does the lean and the everything. And he looked very handsome in his suit.

There is no hate toward Katy. I just don't like how she got the song to #1 by remixing last minute and then cutting the price of the original and remix to 69 cents. They did to get that song to #1 because the original wasn't doing it. They knew about the record too. She remixed ET too. I would have no problem if all 5 were the original songs that went #1. Maybe times have changed but quality and standards shouldn't have to change too. No one is denying the achievement but there is nothing wrong with questioning how she did it. Difference in opinion doesn't equal hate.

I always hear about the music industry declining and all that. Everyone just accepts how things are done now. Maybe people in the industry should make the changes they need to make it better. The fans and the public can't do much.

Last edited:
Jackson_popcorn.gif

That's your opinion. Crappy songs were #1 in the 80's too. Not all of MJ's competition was stellar. Hell, plenty of corny acts kept him from the top spot or knocked him out of it. Times definitely change but not everything. Mostly it's a generational thing. People like to look back with rose colored glasses. I just wish we could say congrats and move on. Why do so many have to be so bitter (and yes it is bitterness) about it? Yes, we're MJ fans, but so what? Records are meant to be broken and it's bound to happen sooner or later. It doesn't make the legendary MJ any less incredible. It doesn't have any affect on him at all. Every fan base always flips out and trashes whatever artist beats or ties their favorite artists records and I think it's sad. Records are fun and all but it's not what I base my fandom on but unfortunately judging by the clearly biased and nasty comments in this thread, it can't be said for everyone. I'm no longer replying to this thread because I've more than proven that Katy has earned and deserves what she has and I don't want to associate any further with the type of negative, defensive, and jealous/bitter fans that are participating. It's depressing and immature. Anyway, I hope the rest of you have fun with the hate parade but I'm out.

Have a good day!

example???

Katy Perry is one of a number of today's artists who make catchy music that you can't get out of your head for days. Will it be remembered in 5 years? Probably not but when people hear it on the radio and they can't get the songs out of their heads, they will log on to iTunes and buy them. Of course, half price singles and remixes help as well. Do I think Katy Perry deserves this record? Not at all but I would be embarrassed for her if she didn't equal it after all the marketing schemes she pulled.

^My opinion.

her music can't even get into my head :lol:
sorry, my level on listening to music is much higher. :cool:

Travis said:
Crappy songs were #1 in the 80's too. Not all of MJ's competition was stellar. Hell, plenty of corny acts kept him from the top spot or knocked him out of it. Times definitely change but not everything. Mostly it's a generational thing. People like to look back with rose colored glasses.

Most definitely true. Like one of my professors said, the only reason people think there were no bad films/artists/songs/fashions in the past is because time weeds those things out of the collective memory, so that only the best is preserved for future generations, whereas, in the present, one has only the present--the decent and the terrible.

While I do like her, I don't think anyone would say Katy Perry is an amazing talent or some sort of genius of Michael Jackson magnitude--nor has she ever claimed this. She's just a nice girl who sings catchy songs, no different than any of the other pop songstresses out there today. Let her have her day--the world won't cease to turn because she matched Michael's record. If anything, the fact that, despite all the remixes, marketing, and the huge advantage of (legal) mp3 downloads, Perry was not able to surpass Michael's record speaks volumes of his ability to appeal to the masses at a time when none of the technological advantages Perry enjoyed were available.

There are certainly no hard feelings on my part--congratulations to Katy Perry.

Why couldn't Usher or Mariah Carey do this? They deserve it and it's much less insulting,

There is no comparison between the contemporary singers and Michael. They can eat it and move on not trying to even reach his achievements because they will never be like him!

In this age where record sales are in a constant decline, this is pretty good for the industry, but it shows how easy to get a #1 single these days also

What pisses me off is that it wasn't just enough making a spectacle out of Katy Perry's 5th single before it reached the top spot and tied Michael's record, but Billboard has to speculate, and desperately hope (I can smell their desperation in a new article) whether she would break Michael's record with a 6th single. They are so desperate to see her actually break his record.

Back