Christina Aguilera's New Album Bionic *Update Post 68: War With Label Over Sales"

It's a shame that her arrogance has made her album bombed. I figure there are a lot of good songs on Bionic, just like in the Fame Monster or Like A Prayer, so really what it comes down to is that Christina needs to get off her own pedestal. It's not helping.

That video where she throws gum is very revealing. They are all saying they love her and she is blank.

Ironically, Gaga did a morning show like that two weeks ago, and she was so sweet to her fans. Thanking them for "making her dreams come true", even kind enough to play an unreleased song on that show to her fans who were camping out for two nights to see her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muXg2qPFcKY

It's a shame that her arrogance has made her album bombed. I figure there are a lot of good songs on Bionic, just like in the Fame Monster or Like A Prayer, so really what it comes down to is that Christina needs to get off her own pedestal. It's not helping.

That video where she throws gum is very revealing. They are all saying they love her and she is blank.

Ironically, Gaga did a morning show like that two weeks ago, and she was so sweet to her fans. Thanking them for "making her dreams come true", even kind enough to play an unreleased song on that show to her fans who were camping out for two nights to see her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muXg2qPFcKY

People can say whatever they want about Gaga and her talent, BUT she is very good to her fans.

The final nail in the coffin for Christina Aguilera’s ‘Bionic’ album has been hammered in, if the performance of its latest single ‘You Lost Me’ is anything to go by.

Full story below…

Despite the much-hyped VEVO debut of the song’s accompanying video, it continues to struggle on US radio – garnering an embarrassing 0.242 audience impressions as of yesterday. The single’s iTunes performance fares no better – with ‘You Lost Me’ currently sitting at #224. Ouch.

With a UK release of the single being readied for September, there remains an outside chance of the song being successful somewhere. That said, the 29 year old faces an uphill struggle here after making history for all the wrong reasons recently.

This whole episode is rather unfortunate; for, despite being incoherent thematically, ‘Bionic’ is actually a solid album – with ‘You Lost Me’ serving as one of its stand-outs. If with such good material, Christina can’t catch a break, when – if at all – will she?

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2010/07/aguileras-you-lost-me-bombs/#comments

I think maybe she could either go bck to her "stripeed" sound or "back to basics" sound, then she could go at top again.

I think maybe she could either go bck to her "stripeed" sound or "back to basics" sound, then she could go at top again.

She should do neither. What made her successful in the past was her own distinctive sound. From what I heard bionic sounds like a B level album that's pretty generic.

I'm very sad about this. I like Xtina's voice, and I want her to succeed. But whatever, if Madonna can make a comeback after "American Life" then Christina definitely has a chance to redeem herself.

She should do neither. What made her successful in the past was her own distinctive sound. From what I heard bionic sounds like a B level album that's pretty generic.

I'm very sad about this. I like Xtina's voice, and I want her to succeed. But whatever, if Madonna can make a comeback after "American Life" then Christina definitely has a chance to redeem herself.

Yeh bionic isnt her best work IMO

I think if christina maybe takes some time off work for a while then maybe in a yr or so, she might be more relaxed.

Coz to me "Bionic" seems like it was rushed.

I get what you're saying but American Life only bombed in the US. Over seas, it was successful, going to sell 5 million copies (thanks to Madonna's worldwide following). Many of the songs from the album were #1 hits in other countries while only two of the tracks made the top 40 and one top 10 in the US (although she did score several #1 dance hits on the US charts). I always find it humorous how folks in the USA think only their sales matter which is why artists like Mariah Carey are over glorified as far as sales go (not meant to be a diss but artists like her and Garth Brooks have very little global appeal outside the USA).

Well I tell ya something, all this just makes me wanna hear her album to see what the deal's all about!

I get what you're saying but American Life only bombed in the US. Over seas, it was successful, going to sell 5 million copies (thanks to Madonna's worldwide following). Many of the songs from the album were #1 hits in other countries while only two of the tracks made the top 40 and one top 10 in the US (although she did score several #1 dance hits on the US charts). I always find it humorous how folks in the USA think only their sales matter which is why artists like Mariah Carey are over glorified as far as sales go (not meant to be a diss but artists like her and Garth Brooks have very little global appeal outside the USA).

I agree.

Why would Madonna's album American Life be considered a bomb in America, if a song from it, made the top 10? it only takes one song from an album, charting, for the album to be a hit, and/or sales of 500,000 or more.

seems, like America's greedy ways, have twisted their mentality, when it comes to the definition of 'bomb', and the definition of 'hit'.

Last edited:
American Life flopped by Madonna standards. It's pretty much the Invincible of Madonna. Well anyway you got what I was trying to say so no need to explain further :p

American Life flopped by Madonna standards. It's pretty much the Invincible of Madonna. Well anyway you got what I was trying to say so no need to explain further :p

i should list that in the pet peeves section. "flopped by (insert name here) standards." that is the most assanine idealism in the world.

that's what i was talking about. that's what causes people to become failures, is when they consider success to be failure. hopefully, Madonna doesn't think that way. and i'm glad Michael never thought that way. i'm guessing Madonna never thought that way, and that's why both artists have longevity.

Invincible and American Life, are hits. Period.

i should list that in the pet peeves section. "flopped by (insert name here) standards." that is the most assanine idealism in the world.

that's what i was talking about. that's what causes people to become failures, is when they consider success to be failure. hopefully, Madonna doesn't think that way. and i'm glad Michael never thought that way. i'm guessing Madonna never thought that way, and that's why both artists have longevity.

Invincible and American Life, are hits. Period.

okay, not flopped. Disappointing, how about that?

okay, not flopped. Disappointing, how about that?

well, if you are the artist, that's on you. but if the artist doesn't think they are disappointed, that's all that matters. if you are the fan, and you are disappointed..that's on you. that doesn't hurt the artist. i, as a fan, was not disappointed with Invincible sales(which, by the way, keep on happening, everyday, and now, it's been nine years, so you can imagine what the sales are, now..it's all in how you think, and perspective). Invincible got a diamond award at the world music awards. as for American Life, by Madonna, as soon as Travis mentioned the chart success, i knew that whoever said that album flopped, was wrong. as for Christina Aguilera, right now, i was hearing that her album was flopping, then billyworld came along and said that the song is number 3 on itunes. immediately, i had to admit, the album is no longer a flop, if it ever was, in the first place. it's never disappointing, as long as the money is coming in.

well, if you are the artist, that's on you. but if the artist doesn't think they are disappointed, that's all that matters. if you are the fan, and you are disappointed..that's on you. that doesn't hurt the artist. i, as a fan, was not disappointed with Invincible sales(which, by the way, keep on happening, everyday, and now, it's been nine years, so you can imagine what the sales are, now..it's all in how you think, and perspective). Invincible got a diamond award at the world music awards. as for American Life, by Madonna, as soon as Travis mentioned the chart success, i knew that whoever said that album flopped, was wrong. as for Christina Aguilera, right now, i was hearing that her album was flopping, then billyworld came along and said that the song is number 3 on itunes. immediately, i had to admit, the album is no longer a flop, if it ever was, in the first place. it's never disappointing, as long as the money is coming in.

was it the 2006 world music awards that invincible got a diamond awards?

was it the 2006 world music awards that invincible got a diamond awards?

i'm not sure of the year. i just know i was watching the broadcast on tv.

edit: check that. apparently according to wiki, that diamond award is for a hundred million copies of music, period. but then gagin, check that not? wiki is vague. they say the award is for a hundred million copies. that could mean anything with Michael. he's past the seven hundred million mark. it could be a combo of any albums. Invincible went past the ten million mark, long ago..but then it could be for combining Bad, Dangerous Thriller..it could be for Thriller, alone, but Wiki says this was back in 2006. nobody knows how fast or slow sales go from day to day. suffice it to say, this vagueness, which infiltrates peoples' convos all the time on these matters, proves that you can never have a flop, if you get to five hundred thousand copies of a record. hard as it is for us to stop talking about Michael, i guess it's time to get back to talking about the subject of this thread..Christina Aguilera..although, in this context, talking about other artists, was part of the subject of proving that Christina Aguilera's latest work is not a flop, after all.

Last edited:
Invinsible and American Life were not flops. At least not to me.

ugh.. look I know they are not flops. But they ARE the lowest selling albums of MJ and Madonna's careers. And both of them managed to get passed that without any problems. This isn't about perspective, this isn't about personal opinion, these are the facts. And there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I WISH my lowest point in my career was as successful as vince, but that doesn't stop it from being the worst selling album in his solo career.

Anyway this thread is about Christina's Bionic so please, lets not go off topic :p

ugh.. look I know they are not flops. But they ARE the lowest selling albums of MJ and Madonna's careers. And both of them managed to get passed that without any problems. This isn't about perspective, this isn't about personal opinion, these are the facts. And there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I WISH my lowest point in my career was as successful as vince, but that doesn't stop it from being the worst selling album in his solo career.

Anyway this thread is about Christina's Bionic so please, lets not go off topic :p
it's hard to not want to make a comeback at you when you use the word 'worst' when talking about Invincible. Frankly, it's impossible for invincible to not be the lowest selling, cus it was released last. lol. and considering the quality of MJ's music, all his albums are going to keep selling as long as the earth is as it is. so, it's a moot point to say invincible is the worst selling. now, if it was released with Thriller, simultaneously, in 1982, then....well..lol

sorry, but i have to make comebacks at posts like yours. lol

it's hard to not want to make a comeback at you when you use the word 'worst' when talking about Invincible. Frankly, it's impossible for invincible to not be the lowest selling, cus it was released last. lol. and considering the quality of MJ's music, all his albums are going to keep selling as long as the earth is as it is. so, it's a moot point to say invincible is the worst selling. now, if it was released with Thriller, simultaneously, in 1982, then....well..lol

sorry, but i have to make comebacks at posts like yours. lol

LOL ok this is the last time i'll discuss this in this thread, if you want to reply we can continue this on PM.

Look at how it all started:

I said Christina is doing bad. But she can pick herself up again if she worked hard.

I referenced Madonna during her American Life era, where she was at her lowest but now she's the top of her game. My point was Christina can do the same thing right now.

To just make the point more obvious to Travis I just said American Life is like Madonna's Invincible. In that it didn't perform that poorly, but it isn't exactly the brightest point in their careers either.

And that's just that! I'm not saying they're flops, I'm saying Christina can regain her previous status if she so chooses

LOL ok this is the last time i'll discuss this in this thread, if you want to reply we can continue this on PM.

Look at how it all started:

I said Christina is doing bad. But she can pick herself up again if she worked hard.

I referenced Madonna during her American Life era, where she was at her lowest but now she's the top of her game. My point was Christina can do the same thing right now.

To just make the point more obvious to Travis I just said American Life is like Madonna's Invincible. In that it didn't perform that poorly, but it isn't exactly the brightest point in their careers either.

And that's just that! I'm not saying they're flops, I'm saying Christina can regain her previous status if she so chooses

why go to pm? we're on topic. a low point in a career can't really be accurate, in the careers of these people, unless they go bankrupt. now..TLC went bankrupt. so did Barry Manilow. but TLC went bankrupt because of bad management, not because of radio plays, which were plentiful. i keep this up with you cus i don't know what you're talking about. i see the glass more than half full, and you're going to have to convince me otherwise. i was almost convinced Aguilera was flopping till billyworld came with the news that her song flew up on itunes. so, obviously, we were wrong. she doesn't have to return to any such status. she's already there. but let this be a lesson to us. we, of all people, MJ fans, have fallen into the media trap. we saw an article that looked as if it was spelling Christina Aguilera's career doom, and we went with it. and that's what you're doing, if you think Invincible was anything less than a bright spot in MJ's career.

why go to pm? we're on topic. a low point in a career can't really be accurate, in the careers of these people, unless they go bankrupt. now..TLC went bankrupt. so did Barry Manilow. but TLC went bankrupt because of bad management, not because of radio plays, which were plentiful. i keep this up with you cus i don't know what you're talking about. i see the glass more than half full, and you're going to have to convince me otherwise. i was almost convinced Aguilera was flopping till billyworld came with the news that her song flew up on itunes. so, obviously, we were wrong. she doesn't have to return to any such status. she's already there. but let this be a lesson to us. we, of all people, MJ fans, have fallen into the media trap. we saw an article that looked as if it was spelling Christina Aguilera's career doom, and we went with it. and that's what you're doing, if you think Invincible was anything less than a bright spot in MJ's career.
I never claimed her career is doomed. But this album is not doing as well as her previous records. And again, a low point doesn't mean doom. But are you honestly trying to tell me that MJ has no low points throughout his career? Are you trying to convince me that Invincible was just as successful as Thriller? If there is a peak, there is a base. Thriller was MJ's peak, and Invincible was his base. Take it how you will, but that's the truth.

The same is happening with Christina. I never implied she'd go bankrupt. But she lost a lot more than she gained with this record, and that's also the truth. If she's going to scoff it off like it's normal she will be out of the business much sooner than anticipated.

I never claimed her career is doomed. But this album is not doing as well as her previous records. And again, a low point doesn't mean doom. But are you honestly trying to tell me that MJ has no low points throughout his career? Are you trying to convince me that Invincible was just as successful as Thriller? If there is a peak, there is a base. Thriller was MJ's peak, and Invincible was his base. Take it how you will, but that's the truth.

The same is happening with Christina. I never implied she'd go bankrupt. But she lost a lot more than she gained with this record, and that's also the truth. If she's going to scoff it off like it's normal she will be out of the business much sooner than anticipated.

your last statement blows your entire argument right out of the water. first of all, what you say is not the truth. it's your opinion. secondly, no..i don't see any low points in MJ's career. again, the timing of both releases makes that impossible. thirdly, if Christina adopts your opinions, then her career is over. she shouldn't be panicking right now. she chose to go into a different direction. and you are ignoring what just happened on itunes. if you're willing to do this, then you are right. this argument is a lost cause and i'll do less than go to pm. i'll quit.

Back