Beijing 2008

How come in almost all the sports Americans win?

I mean, did anyone see the races?

Talk about fair game...

Why do you say Americans??? I think Chinese people win in everything. There are sports where they were nowhere before the Olympic Games and now they win the gold medals...:( What about fencing??? I was quite surprised.... how well they did...:sad:

Let's remember that they qualify to get into the Olympics first, so they must be good enough to do well enough.

Plus athletes get a huge rise out of competing in front of a home crowd.

I think smog is having a bigger impact that people want to admit.

Talk about fair game...

America always do very well. They spend a lot of money every year on their athletes to ensure that they have the best in technology and training etc The same is with the Chinese and the russians, plus another contributing factor is that these three countries have a giant population so therefore the probability of having people born who have a sporting specific talent, is higher than in countries that have a smaller population to chose from.
This is part of the reason why Australia is considered such a sports mad country because we have a small population yet we're always able to produce a large team for the Olympics.

I'm watching Hungary vs Romania in the women's handball :eek:

talk about fast :wild:

Those hungarian women look alright too :naughty:

:lol:

Last edited:
2008 Medals TableCountryGoldSilverBronzeChina351313United States192125Australia111012Great Britain1178Germany967South Korea895Japan857Russia71212Italy666Ukraine536France4913Romania413Spain331Slovakia310Netherlands254Poland231Czech Republic230Jamaica220Canada214North Korea213New Zealand212Ethiopia210Denmark203Switzerland203Georgia201Cuba134Kazakhstan134Zimbabwe130Azerbaijan122Norway121Indonesia113Slovenia112Bulgaria111Finland111Mongolia110Brazil105Cameroon100India100Thailand100Tunisia100Hungary041Belarus037Sweden030Kenya021Turkey021Austria012Greece012Algeria011Colombia011Croatia011Kirghyzstan011Serbia011Uzbekistan011Chile010Ecuador010Estonia010Malaysia010Portugal010Singapore010Trinidad and Tobago010Vietnam010Armenia005Chinese Taipei002Argentina001Egypt001Lithuania001Mexico001Tajikistan001Togo001

Let's just hope it's not those countries up there are at least not only best in pharmaceutical research.
I mean aside from that how can a poor african country motivate their swimmers to compete with swimmers the highly-technical swimming suits... as talented as they might be.
It seems these can't be rrrrrrrreally 'fair' games anymore.
Watching the Olympics nowadays always leaves a bitter/sweet taste... compared to watching it innocently during my childhood I must admitt.

Last edited:
2008 Medals TableCountryGoldSilverBronzeChina351313United States192125Australia111012Great Britain1178Germany967South Korea895Japan857Russia71212Italy666Ukraine536France4913Romania413Spain331Slovakia310Netherlands254Poland231Czech Republic230Jamaica220Canada214North Korea213New Zealand212Ethiopia210Denmark203Switzerland203Georgia201Cuba134Kazakhstan134Zimbabwe130Azerbaijan122Norway121Indonesia113Slovenia112Bulgaria111Finland111Mongolia110Brazil105Cameroon100India100Thailand100Tunisia100Hungary041Belarus037Sweden030Kenya021Turkey021Austria012Greece012Algeria011Colombia011Croatia011Kirghyzstan011Serbia011Uzbekistan011Chile010Ecuador010Estonia010Malaysia010Portugal010Singapore010Trinidad and Tobago010Vietnam010Armenia005Chinese Taipei002Argentina001Egypt001Lithuania001Mexico001Tajikistan001Togo001

Great Britain are 3rd now!
wooooooooop

Go Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!

OI OI OI!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!

OI OI OI!!!

AUSSIE

OI!

AUSSIE!

OI!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!

OI!!! OI!! OI!!!!!

Carn the Aussies! *does the dance*

Last edited:
just to compare... these were the end results of the last Olympics

Athens 2004 Medals TableCountryGoldSilverBronzeUSA353929China321714Russia272738Australia171616Japan16912Germany141618France11913Italy101111South Korea9129Great Britain9912Cuba9711Ukraine959Hungary863Romania856Greece664Norway501Netherlands499Brazil433Sweden412Spain3115Canada363Turkey334Poland325New Zealand320Thailand314Belarus267Austria241Ethiopia232Iran222Slovakia222Taiwan221Georgia220Bulgaria219Jamaica212Uzbekistan212Morocco210Denmark206Argentina204Chile201Kazakhstan143Kenya142Czech Republic134South Africa132Croatia122Lithuania120Egypt113Switzerland113Indonesia112Zimbabwe111Azerbaijan104Belgium102Bahamas101Israel101Cameroon100Dominican Republic100Ireland100United Arab Emirates100North Korea041Latvia040Mexico031Portugal021Finland020Serbia and Montenegro020Slovenia013Estonia012Hong Kong010India010Paraguay010Nigeria002Venezuela002Colombia001Eritrea001Mongolia001Syria001Trinidad and Tobago001

Oh no :sad: Liu Xiang couldn't run the 100m hurdles noooooo :cry:

I feel so sorry for him and all the Chinese people...

I saw that :( poor guy the Chinese built the "face" of the Olympic games on his image, he was advertised everywhere! There was sooo much hype on him.

Poor bloke, he looked like he was in sooo much pain before the race even began. And the crying... oh wow, I saw a reporter balling her eyes out and then his coach :cry:

I'm watching Hungary vs Romania in the women's handball :eek:

talk about fast :wild:

Those hungarian women look alright too :naughty:

:lol:

Yeah, they are!!! Everybody in our handball team are gorgeous. Don't you think?:yes:

.... and we won the match! So it means we are in the semi final!!!!:clapping: Go girls!!!!

One bad result though for the Hungarians :sad: (and for the Aussies...:sad:) ... sorrily our waterpolo women team didn't make it to the final....

So, L.J. watch out for the Hungary - Australia waterpolo match for the bronze medal!!!!!!:wild:

And watch the 2004's results!! We were the 13th, this small country with just about 10 million people population! I'm proud!!! :yes:

Last edited:
^ we're gonna win th bronze in that :wild:

:giggle:

and yes I do think so :yes: no wonder there were so many men there cheering them :lol: and they beat Romania which were meant to be world number 1 :eek:

^^^Let's wait and see that bronze match... :lol:

Yes, watch how many Hungarian fans were there to cheer for them.... It was amazing! They were screaming "We are at home" to the girls. It was great! It really seemed that as if it was here in Hungary... seeing that huge amount of Hungarian flags out there!

20080819noikezila7.jpg

20080819noikezila1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: L.J
ahahaha did you see one guy was covered in paint? :lol:

I just watched the synchronised swimming :mello: Gee they hold their breath for a long time :unsure:

Something I don't understand.... how could there be a Chinese Judge in that event when there was chinese competitors? I thought the judges all had to be from neutral or non competiting countries? I noticed they gave the lowest scores to all the other countries except their own too... I don't like that :nono:

^^^wow, that's not nice.:( I don't know how was it possible...???!!! I thought the same, that the judges have to be neutral....:(

Edit: But in - for example - figure skating championships there are judges from the countries from where there are competitors, too... like France, USA or Russia... That's why I don't like the sporst where there are points... When there only the time is your enemy, it's all good.

Last edited:
^^^Was it for the bronze medal, right? :unsure:

The final will be between Argentina and Brasil. Gooo Argentina!!!:)

^^^Was it for the bronze medal, right? :unsure:

The final will be between Argentina and Brasil. Gooo Argentina!!!:)

No, it wasn't the final. It's still in the semi-finals.
And Brasil lost. Nooooo!!! :ranting:

But it's ok. We still got women's football! :D

Let's remember that they qualify to get into the Olympics first, so they must be good enough to do well enough.

Plus athletes get a huge rise out of competing in front of a home crowd.

I think smog is having a bigger impact that people want to admit.

America always do very well. They spend a lot of money every year on their athletes to ensure that they have the best in technology and training etc The same is with the Chinese and the russians, plus another contributing factor is that these three countries have a giant population so therefore the probability of having people born who have a sporting specific talent, is higher than in countries that have a smaller population to chose from.
This is part of the reason why Australia is considered such a sports mad country because we have a small population yet we're always able to produce a large team for the Olympics.

let's not forget the doping investments!

Just to make myself clear - whichever the country it was, even if it were Serbia - I would call that cheating - THE US GOVERNMENT GUARANTEES THAT THEIR SPORTSMEN DON'T USE DOPING!

COME ON! THE REST OF THE WORLD ARE IDIOTS, HUH?

Talk about fair game...
Not on men's 100m or women's 100m. :)
I think it's great. On women's Jamaica got triple won! Actually on track & field they don't dominate at all. Only in swimming. And basketball. I assume in baseball? I haven't watched.
China has more gold medals than them.

edit: Just saw your last post. You seem to be very USA -negative? :)
So it's unfair if Americans uses doping and don't get tested but it's a shame for them. Sure there are probably some atheltes that aren't clear but I'm too tired to get pissed of it. Not my problem. It's their shame if they can't do it without some xtra strength. I'm proud of my Finnish mates who, I think, are clear.

Plus, it doesn't profit to scream on us :innocent: Let's keep the thread positive OK? :)

Last edited:
I was not screaming at anyone of you.

And I am not USA- negative. I am INJUSTICE-NEGATIVE.

I said I didn't wanna get misunderstood, do I always have to be so in here?

I was not screaming at anyone of you.

And I am not USA- negative. I am INJUSTICE-NEGATIVE.

I said I didn't wanna get misunderstood, do I always have to be so in here?
OK sorry I got you wrong because you were TYPING LIKE THIS! :agree:

I understand that it pisses you if Americans don't get tested and I agree with you, but, that's the way the world is. What can you do?

Anyway, I can't wait for the men's javelin!! I'm so expecting a medal from there... :clapping:

Well, I can't say much about doping, cause I don't really know. But I do know that those countries have enough money and technology to invest in sports.

The athletes there can have the luxury to dedicate entirely to their sports. Differently from many not-so-rich countries, where athletes have to worry about their survival before worrying about their practices...

Plus, what L.J said is also true. They have loooots of people to find one that can go well in sports. Some countries don't have that many people to invest in.

Last edited:
let's not forget the doping investments!

Just to make myself clear - whichever the country it was, even if it were Serbia - I would call that cheating - THE US GOVERNMENT GUARANTEES THAT THEIR SPORTSMEN DON'T USE DOPING!

COME ON! THE REST OF THE WORLD ARE IDIOTS, HUH?

:agree: No need to shout hey...

And I asked you to provide factual evidence about the fact that the US don't have to be tested, cause I have never heard of that before and would love to read about it (and use it for debate material in my class).

All the papers are writing about it. Even an interview on TV with an American representative was shown... Can't help you much,but I am not lying, that's what I heard.

Did you know that Phelps is the ambassador of the Omega company , which is the sponsor of measuring time for Olympics ?

I'd be a winner as well...

And check this out...

cavic-felps-v.jpg

cavic_v.jpg

And I know some will say I call this injustice cause it's my representative and U.S. representative, but I don't really care. This is a S E T U P.

Last edited:
^ Those pictures prove what I was thinking. The first time I saw the last metres I thought it looked like Phelps was 2nd. Not fair :no:

Our canoe team are doing well so far. Every teams (individual, C-2, C-4) are in the final in 1000 m.

Even the György Kozmann and Tamás Kiss pair!!!! György Kozmann's pair (and friend) was the tragically died György Kolonics... It's not a secret that they were the biggest probable winners of the canoe 1000 m... :sad: This new pair's first aim was to be in the final... and they are in the final!!! It's a big thing because they have practised about only for 3 weeks together. György Kozmann first said after Kolonics's death that he won't go to the Olympic Games but he changed his mind and thought he will make it for Kolonics...:sad: They are (and the other canoe teams of Hungary) wearing black-armband... It's so sad... I was crying like a little baby when it was clear that they will be in the final. It was an uplifting feeling. That is what sport is about!!!:)

369065_e2535f45d69b34abcb8eace6c8fc87af_wm.jpg

Our canoe team are doing well so far. Every teams (individual, C-2, C-4) are in the final in 1000 m.

Even the György Kozmann and Tamás Kiss pair!!!! György Kozmann's pair (and friend) was the tragically died György Kolonics... It's not a secret that they were the biggest probable winners of the canoe 1000 m... :sad: This new pair's first aim was to be in the final... and they are in the final!!! It's a big thing because they have practised about only for 3 weeks together. György Kozmann first said after Kolonics's death that he won't go to the Olympic Games but he changed his mind and thought he will make it for Kolonics...:sad: They are (and the other canoe teams of Hungary) wearing black-armband... It's so sad... I was crying like a little baby when it was clear that they will be in the final. It was an uplifting feeling. That is what sport is about!!!:)

369065_e2535f45d69b34abcb8eace6c8fc87af_wm.jpg
Aww :better:I hope they win :yes:
That looks so hard, they are almost like standing! :bugeyed :D

Oh my, France's handball team's players are so goodlooking :blush: lol

Last edited:
Aww :better:I hope they win :yes:
That looks so hard, they are almost like standing! :bugeyed :D

Oh my, France's handball team's players are so goodlooking :blush: lol

Honestly, they won't... :sad: But a medal would be a heroical achievement! I cheer for them!!!:clapping: For Kolonics!

Really, are they? I have to have a look...:)

^ :lol: look at The. One blush :giggle:

I'm actually getting a little frustrated by the high level of clear cheating that's occurring. :no:

but I'm still enjoying watching these athletes compete just the same

Yeah I love Olympics too, but it's a shame that cheating and wars are making their ways in... :(

^ :lol: look at The. One blush :giggle:

I'm actually getting a little frustrated by the high level of clear cheating that's occurring. :no:

but I'm still enjoying watching these athletes compete just the same
:giggle:

You can call me Hanna :yes:

Back