Beijing 2008

Beijing Provides 100,000 Condoms For Athletes

The Sydney Olympics ran out of them, so organisers of the Beijing Games are hoping 100,000 condoms will satisfy the needs of Olympic athletes.
condoms_olympics.jpg

While sex is not an Olympic sport it is expected to be an activity in the Beijing village housing 10,500 athletes, all of whom are in great shape and with plenty of free time on their hands once they're knocked out of the Games.
Athletes have received free condoms at every Olympics since Barcelona in 1992.
"There are many young, strong, single people in the athletes' village and, like everywhere, some will fall in love or other things so we need to make condoms available," said Ole Hansen, spokesman for UNAIDS China.
"A lot of these young people are not married or in relationships so we want to make sure they have the information and tools to protect themselves if they have sexual encounters."
At the Sydney Games in 2000 athletes quickly exhausted a supply of 70,000 and another 20,000 had to be brought in.
The Foundation for AIDS Research, amfAR, said 100,000 were distributed at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002 after a plan to distribute 250,000 condoms met protests by religious groups and was scaled back. At Athens in 2004 about 130,000 condoms were distributed.

I thought you werent supposed to have sex before competing? :lol:

A lot of them don't. There's no evidence to prove either way whether sex effects their competitive edge.

but like the article says, they're still in the village after competing and "bored" :lol: but if my university years are anything to go by in the sports science part of the campus... I believe this story to be true :rofl:

Last edited:
What are the Olympic athletes listening to?

In a recent interview, US Olympic weightlifter Natalie Woolfork indicated that she listed to Michael Jackson’s "Don’t Stop ‘Till You Get Enough" before competing in Beijing on August 12, 2008...

Natalie Woolfork finished 11th while North Korean Pak Hyon Suk took home the gold medal in weightlifting...

00930_142x190.jpg

Source:KUSA-TV / 9news.com

Last edited:
Img214540329.jpg

The Australian team takes gold. (Photo credit: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

(BEIJING, August 14) -- Australia sprang one of the upsets of the Swimming program at the National Aquatics Center on Thursday when their unheralded Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay team won the gold medal and smashed the world record.
The Australians touched the wall in a time of 7min 44.31sec, slicing 5.78 off the previous best time.
Led by double Individual Medley Gold medalist Stephanie Rice, Australia trailed the French at the first changeover but Bronte Barratt then swam a fast second leg to push the Australians to the front.
Kylie Palmer next delivered a cutting third leg with a split of 1:55.22, driving Australia clear of the chasing Chinese who were left fighting the USA.
By the last change, the Australians cut 4.71 seconds under the world mark. American Katie Hoff and China's Pang Jiaying chased Australia's Linda Mackenzie by swimming 1:54 splits. They were eating into Mackenzie's lead, but failed to catch her.
After holding second place for most of the relay, China finished with the silver in an Asian record time of 7:45.93.
The world record-holding USA foursome, who qualified second at 7:52.43, were rarely in the hunt but, thanks to Hoff's fast last leg, managed to pin Italy back in fourth and take the bronze in an Americas record of 7:46.33.
All of the first four teams beat the old world record of 7:50.09.
Although France had qualified first for the final, with an Olympic record 7:50.37, they finished fifth at 7:50.66.

WWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Go AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Hungary has its 3rd silver medal in Beijing.

Zoltán Fodor has won it in wrestling, greco-roman, 84 kg, men.

367121_6e34207814090ddbdd08c3b80cd6f5f3_m.jpg

Congratulations to him! :clapping:

This is his best result so far. He has a gold medal in the Youth European Championship from 2002. This was the 150th silver medal for Hungary in the history of the Olympic Games.

Congratulations to the Italian, Andrea Minguzzi who has won the gold medal!:)

Last edited:
wow neat!

Did you see what happened to the Hungarian weight lifter? I wanted to post the pictures but they're kind of YIKES!!

he dislocated his elbow when he lifted a weight.... poor bugger :(

OMG and the Colombian weight lifter Oscar Figueroa anyone see what happened to him? I felt sooo sorry for him, he had 8 tries or something and each time he tried to lift the weight his right hand slipped off... the highest he lifted the weight was just past his ankles. He was allowed 8 tries and then he just stood there, the look on his face, aww I felt so bad for him and then he just walked away and cried, talk about an Olympic dream shattered.

The only video I found of it on youtube was posted by some awful guy who thought it was funny and the page is just full of hateful comments so I wont post it here because we're all having so much fun celebrating this event :)

^ I haven't seen any of those.. I guess I'm happy I didn't :unsure: Though I saw a pic of that man who's hand slipped all the time :(

OMG I just found out today that when the Olympics were in Helsinki in 1952 part of the games was held in LAHTI! My home town!! :wild:
I had always wondered why there are the Olympic circels above the gate of our sport field.. :D

wow neat!

Did you see what happened to the Hungarian weight lifter? I wanted to post the pictures but they're kind of YIKES!!

he dislocated his elbow when he lifted a weight.... poor bugger :(

i saw it, terrible :no:
and he was our only weight lifter at the Olympics.

^^^I saw only a pic about that moment but it was more than terrible...:(

Come on Hungarians!!!! Where are the gold medals???!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

^^^I saw only a pic about that moment but it was more than terrible...:(

Come on Hungarians!!!! Where are the gold medals???!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

oh i saw it also on TV he must have been in terrible pain...and yesterday in the news i heard that he might never be able to lift weight again, but hopefully that is not true.

Oh my! Federer lost! :eek:
Blake beat him... :(

Nooo! Some of my favorite athletes are losing this year. I'm sad!! :(

Oh, and by the way... Did you guys see the sweden wrestler that threw his bronze medal on the floor?? :eek:
Ridiculous! He said he didn't want it. He wanted the gold one.

Talk aboutnot having the Olympic Spirits... tsc tsc tsc!

Last edited:
^^^It's great! I'm so happy for Laci. He is a great sportman. He has a nice personality, lovely and shy. (my type... :D)

His coach said that hadn't there been Phelps they would have come home in a golden chaise.:) IMO it's still amazing that only one man on Earth is almost as fast as Phelps, and that man is Hungarian.:)

Another dissapointment for Hungary today: the epee team has lost against the Chineese team, though our team is 1st on the world rank list and the Chineese one is only the 15th...:( So the Hungarian team can be only 5th, though they went to Peking to win the gold medal...:(

Our waterpolo women team has won their group match against Greece with the result 10-4. So they are among the 4 best teams!!! Goooo girls!!!

Last edited:
tinker*bell said:
Oh my! Federer lost! :eek:hmy:
Blake beat him... :sad:
tinker*bell said:
Nooo! Some of my favorite athletes are losing this year. I'm sad!! :sad:

Oh, and by the way... Did you guys see the sweden wrestler that threw his bronze medal on the floor?? :eek:hmy:
Ridiculous! He said he didn't want it. He wanted the gold one.

Talk aboutnot having the Olympic Spirits... tsc tsc tsc!
I was surprised that Federer didn't get any further :eek:
And I heard about that Swedish guy.. ridiculous indeed! I wish I saw that myself :D

OMG Laci is soooo cute :give_heart:

Did you know that in the last practice of the Opening ceremony some acrobat fell to her/his head and became PARALYZED!? And someone replaced him/her to the actual opening ceremony.
That is terrible! :eek:

Oh dang I wished Hanna-Maria Seppälä could have brought 3rd medal for Finland but she ended up in 4th place :mello: Well that's pretty good anyway, it was her first time in Olympics final. Better luck in her next swim! ;)

L.J, you have a namesake on men's 400m hurdles from South Africa: L.J. van Zyt :wild:

Track and field started yesterday! :)
I always thought it was very classic. Very olympic... :laugh:

here is another cute pic of Laci with his 3 Silver medals! :)

20080815csehlaszl19.jpg

----

and here is a video of that guy throwing his bronze meadl...

http://www.mtv.hu/videotar/?id=27944

Laci is lovely, I'm glad you like him Hanna.:) He's not bald-headed all the time but always shaves his hair before the competition.

That "Swedish" guy was rude and fool. I haven't seen such behaviour in my life. :doh:

4s-men, that was close Aussies but experience of us Brits prevails.
f_smiley.gif

Nooooooooooooo
gaah.gif

tantrum.gif

:lol: nah that was good we'll win more medals somewhere else :wild:

actually I'm suprised how badly we're doing this time around so far :unsure:

It's all a setup in a way.

Did you know that the American sportsmen don't go through doping control as their government GUARANTEES that they don't use any stimulative drugs???

How RIDICULOUS IS THAT??

(No offense to the USA citizens, but come on, let's be realistic...)

Yeh, we aren't doing too good. The swimming has been a bit of a let down. Those Americans must be on something. But we've had some good wins. The 4x200m women's freestyle relay was spectacular. I really hope Grant Hackett wins his gold as well. That would just be the best.

^ yeah hackett's would be awesome!

Did you know that the American sportsmen don't go through doping control as their government GUARANTEES that they don't use any stimulative drugs???

How RIDICULOUS IS THAT??

Where did you hear/read/see that? I'd love some information on that (sources etc) that would be interesting to use in my classroom.

As for Michael Phelps they were showing on the tellie why he's so dominant. For example the average person is as tall as their arms can stretch out from side to side (so holding the position of a cross or being put on a cross arms stretched outwards). Phelps however, is 6ft 2' and his arm span is 6ft 7' which gives him an immediate advantage over others especially in butterfly events.
His feet also flex (the action is known as dorsiflexion and involves the pushing down motion of your foot at the ankle joint, just like when you pump a car pedal) more than 15% further than the average person, hence his big assed feet become like flippers.

He also has a higher energy intake than most athletes (burns more energy too).

He's certainly one built for swimming :yes:

Last edited:

We, Hungarians, too... By this time at other Olympic Games we had at least 2 or 3 gold medals... but no one so far... Our sportsmen're doing dissapointing matches... We were hoping for at least 6 gold medals. One of our best athlete (2 time Olympic champion in canoe, György Kolonics) died :sad: during the practice in July (as I posted it earlier), so minus one gold medal, obviously.

No medals for us (but we were hoping for them) in wrestling, boxing, judo, fencing (individual and team)... We knew that our László Cseh couldn't beat Michael Phelps so we hoped for silver medals (he is the only athlete so far who brings the results...:sad:).

We are waiting for penthatlon, canoe, water polo men and women, and handball women... maybe in those we can get some shining medals.

Btw, sorry our waterpolo men team has won against your Australian team today.:)

How RIDICULOUS IS THAT??

i have heard this in the news yesterday too, and also the same about China....those 2 countries do not have to take dopping tests. :mello: well who knows if it is true..

^ If that's tru I don't know what to say. That would be so wrong.

OH my what a final on men's 100m!! Usain Bolt to win with World record and he didn't even run he's best in the end! I wish he would at least done his best....
I'm happy though that the final didn't inmclude only Americans but it was funny they were all black men.. :)

And yesterday I was so sad for Felix Sanchez when he couldn't make it to the final... he has been my favourite it's a shame he isn't on a same level than few years ago.. :(

Also our long jumper Tommi Evilä didn't make it to the final, he was so disappointed too.. it's horrible to watch disappointed athlete.

OH my what a final on men's 100m!! Usain Bolt to win with World record and he didn't even run he's best in the end! I wish he would at least done his best....
I'm happy though that the final didn't inmclude only Americans but it was funny they were all black men.. :)

Yeah, he's amazing!!! I was jumping up and down if he was a Hungarian athlete... :lol: He didn't run his best that's sure, he had time to make some fun and look at the others, too. It's incredible that one can win with this distance in 100 m.... :eek:

INSANE on how he was running. Oh my god!! :wild:

Thats the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Congrats to Jamaica :clapping:

Back