Bal à Versailles:MJ's favorite perfume.(By Karen Faye)

Just read through the whole thread. This is hilarious!

Suddenly lots of people buy it to smell like Michael! I would get it, but its kinda expensive. Keep describing the smells though! :p

I got it a few days ago! :D
I have to say I love it - at first I was like "uugh..this is strong", but after a minute it was just lovely and I had to smell it over and over, it's really calming.
I can't really describe what it smells like, I can't find anything to compare it with :p

I wear it every day now and feel much more comfortable with this smell than others I have wore.
I even put it on my pillow and started to dream about Michael - how wonderful! ^^

It's definately very floral and grandma like at first yuck. But after a few minutes the strong floral goes away leaving behind this yummy baby powdery-like scent. I love it. Ya jus have to deal with those first few minutes of thinking you've turned into your grandma. LOL

I ordered BAV from FragranceX three weeks ago and I just received it today. It smells wonderful! I put one drop on my hand and I keep smelling it over and over again, already feeling dizzy now but hey..this is Michaels scent and its just amazing. I love the scent and Im gonna cherise this tiny little bottle forever.
I love you Michael!

I found the words to describe the smell...
After days of smelling it all day ('cause it lasts all day), I realize that he main scent that i get is:

Like a baby powder made with sandal fragance :D

Soooo relaxing

you guys! this is so tempting how you write about this perfume and you actually can smell like Michael! ok brb ordering my bottle of Bal de Versailles!

Thank you for this. I've smelt Black Orchid and I'm telling you it's amazing!!!!!!!! I NEED to get some!! :D

now I want it. again. Did a whole research on it. omg:hysterical: do you think any will left in stock?:clapping::wild:

OMG! Are we weird??? Did we really all just buy perfume so we can smell like Mike? Did we really just do that??? :lol:
Paper_Bag_emoticon___updated.gif

MMUUHAHHA, no not at all, you're imagining things.:hysterical:

if we are only buying one .. which should we buy???

cos i see loadsof perfumes on the first page.. i want the one that MJ wore the most.. i dont care which is the nicest smell :)

help!!

i dont want to spend all my money on one and find out he wore it once!ha

smilie_girl_210.gif

chamone guys, need more info on the scents.
Any of you who got those, can you compare them to some other fragrance? because I really read strange (at bests) reviews on the Black Orchid one.
Some person even claimed it smelled like a mashroom salad mixed with dirty socks, others were not much better. omfg:hysterical:

Two of my favorite fragrances are Amarige by Givenchy and Petits et Mammas by Bvlgari, the later one is one sweet lovely powdery perfume.
The BAV seems more likely for me.

Any of you who got those, can you compare them to some other fragrance? because I really read strange (at bests) reviews on the Black Orchid one.
Some person even claimed it smelled like a mashroom salad mixed with dirty socks, others were not much better. omfg
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
I also heard that some people got headaches from the BaV ... :blink::doh: Anyone experiences with that, please? Thanks. :)

I haven't noticed any headaches (or dirty socks smells or anything, lol) from either the BaV or Black Orchid, and I'm really sensitive to perfumes. I can say that the Black Orchid is hella strong. I have a tiny sample vial of the parfum (not cologne or EDT) and I can't even take one tiny pump of the spray top. Good gosh! [Edit: but when I wrote this I had some fake Black Orchid sold in a legit box, so that description can't really apply. I love the REAL stuff!] I have the EDT of BaV and it's strong at first but seems to fade quite quickly.

And although I wasn't wild about it at first, I find myself dabbing some BaV on every night now right before I go to sleep. For one I got used to the scent like it's strangely addictive. The other part of it is probably just some silly psychological thing that can't be explained in rational terms...

Last edited:
I just know the smell of BAV, I'm sensitive too and no headaches. I have the pure perfume I wear 1 drop on each wrist everyday.

The main scents I get are Sandal and Powder. At first the smell is strong, but just for a moment, then it last through the day and everytime I move my hands I get the sweet scent.

The perfume I've smelled before that seems quite familiar with BAV is Elizabeth Taylor's- Passion..... I don't know if she did this one inspired on Michael.

It smells

I wanted to add that I was able to snag a tiny little mini bottle of the pure perfume BaV on ebay last week. I already had a mini of the EDT for a few weeks. I have to say that of course the parfum lasts longer, but it's also a nicer scent. The EDT is a bit harsher to me. The parfum is smoother, deeper, richer, nicer. So, if you're considering buying some BaV and you can afford it, go for the pure parfum instead of cologne or EDT :yes:

in the Vanity Fair interview, Michael asks Lisa (the interviewer) what perfume she's wearing. She says it's called Jungle Gardenia and Michael says he recognised the smell.

She then gifted him the spray and he wore it during his 1988 Grammy performance.

Has anyone smelt this perfume?

:doh: Gosh, BAV is..I don't know what it is actually. Took it out, sprayed some on my wrist, smelled it, and it felt almost as if a horse gave me a punch across the forehead.
smilie_b_027.gif
(this one depicts me getting introduced to BAV)
As if it wasn't enough, my bf has started screaming "wwttff what's that smell, omg what IS THAT its horrible":hysterical: so i took offense, and he couldn't understand why, poor thing.:tease:
However, after some time this nausea-causing smell kinda fades away and it leaves me with somewhat musky/ amber/baby powder scent..that is still pretty strong.
Beware ppl..:wild:
Black Orchid on the other hand smells on melons and sex and some powder too. Yap it does.:wub:
And is hella strong.

Well ladies, I had a sniff of CK Obsession (men's of course) and DAMN, it smells so strong, musky and hideous... Seriously, how could he go around wearing that stuff? It STANK!

Joop on the other hand... That one's hot. I purchased the female version but did have a sniff of the male one and it's very fruity, but mild.

:doh: Gosh, BAV is..I don't know what it is actually. Took it out, sprayed some on my wrist, smelled it, and it felt almost as if a horse gave me a punch across the forehead.
smilie_b_027.gif
(this one depicts me getting introduced to BAV)
As if it wasn't enough, my bf has started screaming "wwttff what's that smell, omg what IS THAT its horrible":hysterical: so i took offense, and he couldn't understand why, poor thing.:tease:
However, after some time this nausea-causing smell kinda fades away and it leaves me with somewhat musky/ amber/baby powder scent..that is still pretty strong.
Beware ppl..:wild:
Black Orchid on the other hand smells on melons and sex and some powder too. Yap it does.:wub:
And is hella strong.
Well that's interesting. I wasn't too wild about BaV at first either, but it never smelled bad to me, just like something my great-grandmother would've worn, lol. Now I have this weird thing about it and wear it everyday, lol. Funny about the melons ... I don't smell anything like that at all, lol. Sex, erm, no comment ;D

Last edited:
Well that's interesting. I wasn't too wild about BaV at first either, but it never smelled bad to me, just like something my great-grandmother would've worn, lol. Now I have this weird thing about it and wear it everyday, lol. Black Orchid to me just smells overpowering and a bit musky, but mostly like, well, orchids. It reminds me a lot of a perfume that I loved years ago, when Jovan made a "Black Orchid" version in the florals line. Funny about the melons ... I don't smell anything like that at all, lol. Sex, erm, no comment ;D
:clapping:
definitely there is something about BAV that makes you addicted, sort of. I am just afraid of that first few minutes because its really overpowering, as you say BO is to you. Both perfumes contain musk and, uh, well they have pretty similar compositions. melon, well, dunno, its some fruit mix or something, its sweet and thick:yes: Remember when Michael's dancer said "I smell Jackson"? :hysterical: here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHhppK9QK0 at 7:22
Thought of that when BAV attacked me as it did.:wild: Oh what "no comment" its a sexy perfume whaaaaat:clapping:
Have you tried Guerlain's Shalimar?;D

Last edited:
I had grabbed a small bottle of Bal a Versailles at overstock.com
I have the eau de parfum- mainly because I don't like spraying parfums, I am more of a dabber. You don't overdo it.

On the eau de parfum from overstock you get a cute little bottle with screw top- just the way eau de parfum should be. Very nice presentation. To me it smelled totally different in the bottle than on my skin. At first it reminded of something very old, an old house, with little sachets hidden in your armoire.

After about 2 minutes I TOTALLY understood how a man could wear it. In fact, I am thinking, this is totally a unisex perfume- on skin, not in the bottle- that's what I smell. I almost thought, this is a men's perfume, if you wanna think in that categorie.

I can absolutely see how Michael would wear this, no doubt about it. And after a while- it reminded me of Aramis, of all things. Not as nasty in your face Aramis, but the "soapy" undernotes are just like it. It's dirty alright, but not like "skunk", it's that kind of dirty that pulls you in, that gives you little butterflies.

While I smell this I seem him in Ghost- with the white ruffled shirt. Absolutely befitting image. OMG, I would loved to plant my nose on him because I can just see it.

And after a couple minutes I knew why it reminded me of Aramis- somebody I once loved very much smelled just like this.

When I smell this, I see ruffled hair, purple, dark rich colours- and Michael in his Ghost Video outfit.

I can tell this stuff is addicting, it's rich, old world, a bygone era, I really see why it's called Bal a Versailles.

Great, this is also my first post here and I am going on about a perfume.

Last edited:
I got a small bottle of BAV thru Buy.com very affordably. I really just wanted to see what it smelled like...what Michael smelled like :) . I don't like the scent to wear at all...very much smells like something my grandmother would have loved (that's the first thing my daughter said when I let her smell it too!). But I like to sniff it once in awhile...just makes me think of Michael.

I got a small bottle of BAV thru Buy.com very affordably. I really just wanted to see what it smelled like...what Michael smelled like :) . I don't like the scent to wear at all...very much smells like something my grandmother would have loved (that's the first thing my daughter said when I let her smell it too!). But I like to sniff it once in awhile...just makes me think of Michael.

I remember it has kind of sweet and very classic conservative smell.

Yes, I know some ppl say it does smell something like grandmother would love, but I wouldn’t say so. Like I said it is not for everybody. Some perfumes I cannot stand myself. Once I had to give away one very expensive perfume to my friend cuz I couldn’t wear it.

I've found what exactly Karen said: http://www.mjfanclub.net/mjforum373/showthread.php?t=8019

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa whoa hold the phone now!
Michael wore this perfume?!

I LOVE Bal a Versailles!
I bought a bottle of this stuff at work a few months ago. It's such a lovely smell. I wear it when I go out at night.
I can't believe this is what Michael smelled like!!

How weird!!

For some reason this makes me sad. :/

Now every time I put it on I'm going to think of him.

Also, how badass is it that he wasn't afraid to wear a ladies scent? love.

well i have gone to Sephora, Saks 5th, Bloomingdales, Lord and Taylor, Macy's, and Neima Marcus to buy this perfume....

only to have them tell me.... oh, we don't sell that here. two places asked me "why" I wanted an old person perfume??? huh??

so where did you all buy it

** i just don't want to buy it online.

You gotta get it online honey.. it's an old lady-ish scent, not something that contemporary stores like Sephora would have..

I still put mine on in the mornings if I remember. I know it smells like an old lady but I'm comforted a little bit wearing it because it makes me feel better. :heart:

Back