Bal à Versailles:MJ's favorite perfume.(By Karen Faye)

I bought some BAV.. I like it alot. It makes me think of Michael :)
I only wear it for special times though.

I just got my small bottle of BAV from Amazon.com. I like it! Just a little much for a regular day for me, but it will be lovely for special occasions. :)

It's funny that on Amazon (the U.S. one at least), the "suggestions" if you like BAV are all MJ related! :lol: Love it.

hhaha how funny
man i so want to smell it so i get an idea of what he smelled like but i dont want to buy it lol

hhaha how funny
man i so want to smell it so i get an idea of what he smelled like but i dont want to buy it lol

Maybe you could ask to sample it at a department store if you act like you are interested! :)

The small vial I got from Amazon was only $10 USD and I got free shipping when I ordered other things, in case that is an option for you. :)

please girls help me:

i found different VAL bottoles and with different caps (perfume only)
also Black Orchid with different prices ?

i'm confused, i do not know which ones shall i buy?

Black Orchid is gorgeous. :wub: I've yet to smell BAV but I will be buying it when I have a bit of spare money, lol.

LOL about Amazon.com. I looked there too. 'Customers who bought this also bought'... and it's all MJ :lmao:. On some BaV products you'll see Tom Ford Black Orchid mentioned too as what customers also bought or looked at. I guess we're about to face a BaV shortage as more MJ fans hear about this. The prices have really gone up on German ebay in the past month! Wish Amazon.de sold it!!! It's so much cheaper through Amazon in the US!

P.S. Just found these vintage print ads for BaV, just as something interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-Jean-Despr...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56325398da

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Bal-a-Versailles-Perfume-by-Jean-Desprey-Print-Ad_W0QQitemZ320438849819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ba4d11b

Last edited:
Maybe you could ask to sample it at a department store if you act like you are interested! :)

The small vial I got from Amazon was only $10 USD and I got free shipping when I ordered other things, in case that is an option for you. :)

ya thats a good idea...im sure they have it

thanks

I guess I've gone crazy. I was getting to the bottom of my little mini EDT BaV and I didn't want to use my precious little parfum mini, so I sprung for an early Christmas present for myself and got a 100ml bottle of BaV EDT! :laugh: It just arrived today in its pretty gold box all sealed up.

And you know what I discovered? Not all BaV is the same. After doing some research online I figured out why the new stuff doesn't smell quite the same as my old mini bottles. It seems that there's the vintage formula and then the newer formula and while they are still the same basic scent, the newer one is softer, more powdery. I actually like it better! I really like it better. I don't know what year they changed it. Trying to find that out now...

Update:
"According to an article in British Vogue, B a V was reformulated around 2002." (this is from http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211823.html)

Here's a link to some folks talking about the reformulation and possible (?) ways to identify vintage versus new, if you're interested: http://www.perfumeoflife.com/lofiversion/index.php/t33412.html

Last edited:
I guess I've gone crazy. I was getting to the bottom of my little mini EDT BaV and I didn't want to use my precious little parfum mini, so I sprung for an early Christmas present for myself and got a 100ml bottle of BaV EDT! :laugh: It just arrived today in its pretty gold box all sealed up.

And you know what I discovered? Not all BaV is the same. After doing some research online I figured out why the new stuff doesn't smell quite the same as my old mini bottles. It seems that there's the vintage formula and then the newer formula and while they are still the same basic scent, the newer one is softer, more powdery. I actually like it better! I really like it better. I don't know what year they changed it. Trying to find that out now...

Where did you buy the 100 ml BAV?
I want to buy it as a christmas present for my mum, but don't know where to buy it.:(

well I haven't found BAV in stores. I might have to go the Amazon route for it. I did find Black Orchid at Nordstrom's. it's supposed to be a female perfume, right? but it smells like man's dammit! :lol:

oh, and it's soooooooooooooooooooo good! distinctive, male, and very, very sexy. I can actually smell Michael in it. :wub:

Where did you buy the 100 ml BAV?
I want to buy it as a christmas present for my mum, but don't know where to buy it.:(
Since I still have a bank account in America and the exchange rate for Euro/Dollar sucks right now (effectively adding 50% onto the price of anything I buy in Euros), it was actually cheaper for me to order it from the US. I got it from an ebay seller (link) and had it shipped over here. If you're just looking for a small bottle or a mini try ebay here in Europe. I just found some listed on ebay.nl that are located in Germany or in the UK, so that's close.

i cant get over that video of him spraying himself..thats alot of spraying lol
LOL, someone had made a macro that showed that as a pic and the caption was something like 'MJ knows his girls like to greet him on their knees', LOLOL. Now it made me think of that video in the Berlin zoo when the girl has to be dragged to Michael on the floor because she's so hysterical about seeing him and then falls to her knees ;) (Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDzlSYAgVU)

i, too, want to know !
Not sure what is meant by which "one" is the best. I mean parfum and eau de parfum are the purest and most high quality of any scent because they have the highest percent of the actual fragrance in them and they also last the longest on the skin. Next comes EDT (eau de toilette), which is probably the more affordable one for the average person.... and then down the line farther is cologne and things like lotions.

There aren't different versions of BaV, like there's no men's Bav or women's BaV or day or night Bav. Now it was reformulated around 2002 and isn't quite the same as in the old days. If you want the 'old' stuff, look for words like vintage... try ebay especially. If you're buying it brand new in a store or online and it comes all sealed up in a gold box and inside is a oval-like glass bottle with a lucite (clear pastic-looking) faceted top, that's the newer BaV. Otherwise, it's been sold in various bottles over the years, so it could look all kinds of different, but it's still basically the same stuff.

I've received it today and I absolutely love it!! :D
This is a good description what it smells like (especially the "yummy baby powdery-like scent" :yes:):
It's definately very floral and grandma like at first yuck. But after a few minutes the strong floral goes away leaving behind this yummy baby powdery-like scent. I love it. Ya jus have to deal with those first few minutes of thinking you've turned into your grandma. LOL

Now I wanna know what Black Orchid smells like! :wild: :D

I've received it today and I absolutely love it!! :D
This is a good description what it smells like (especially the "yummy baby powdery-like scent" :yes:):

Now I wanna know what Black Orchid smells like! :wild: :D

BTW Hocus, where have you bought the perfume? :)
I'm looking for it for buying it for Xmas, it should be a nice present.

really want a sniff of this perfume. dieing to know what MJ smelt like!! :p

LOL, someone had made a macro that showed that as a pic and the caption was something like 'MJ knows his girls like to greet him on their knees', LOLOL. Now it made me think of that video in the Berlin zoo when the girl has to be dragged to Michael on the floor because she's so hysterical about seeing him and then falls to her knees ;) (Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDzlSYAgVU)

OMG, side note...thanks for the youtube link....Michael was so sweet to her (not that I'm surprised)...but so humble and sweet, and making sure she's ok....omg..I love him so much!

Back