Bal à Versailles:MJ's favorite perfume.(By Karen Faye)

Re: Bal Ã* Versailles:MJ's favorite perfume.(By Karen Faye)

hmmm...sounds like someone is just playing a sick joke on your friend's mom...

I received a sample in the mail yesterday. It made me cry a bit....it reminded me of the times I got near MJ and thought it was one of the fans that smelled like they had dumped an entire bottle of perfume on themselves! :lol:
Ummm... yeah, that's highly weird. I guess it was just that one guy selling it. There's no special message from MJ that comes with the perfume. I can't decided if it's a bit sweet or just twisted that the seller guy did that.

LOL, Dutchie. You know that crotch-spraying footage :hysterical: So it was probably Michael :D

I think maybe your mom's friend wrote that note didn't she?

When I ordered mine I selected to write a note to come with it, it reads something like "'til we can get together again"

But if she/he didn't write it, then it was surely a joke from the seller.

I received a sample in the mail yesterday.
What did you write in the email? Just asked if they could send a sample to your address?
So I guess they ship international, that's awesome! :)

LOL, Dutchie. You know that crotch-spraying footage :hysterical: So it was probably Michael :D

Exactly!!!!! :lol:

Michael: "ooh, I bet Dutchie's flying over to stalk me again. I better whip out the Bal a Versailles and do some sprayin' " :toofunny:

Hi guys where are you getting the perfume from? All I can find is EDT version.
Are you finding the stronger perfume version? xx

Da-dummm, this thread suddenly comes back to life. :lol:

Actually, I just wanted to say that I had posted in this thread several times and was wrong about Tom Ford Black Orchid. See, I bought what was supposedly an authentic mini/sample of eau du parfum on ebay back in 2009 and it was so overpowering and way too gaggingly strong. I didn't like it. Then, earlier this month a friend of mine gave me a whole 30ml bottle of eau du Parfum Tom Ford Black Orchid (presumably from a department store, since she doesn't really use the internet) for my birthday. I thought, "Uh-oh. I'll never wear that." Last night I got a weird urge to try a squirt and... omg, it's a different scent than that sample! It's beautiful. It's sweet and orchidy, but then fades to this complex sweet powdery scent. Totally my kind of fragrance. I LOVE it. Too bad it's so expensive, because I could imagine wearing it often. :lol: So I just had to correct my earlier statements. Apparently the sample I got on ebay was some designer imposter thing put into a Tom Ford container and box. :rolleyes2: Ebayer beware.

...Then, earlier this month a friend of mine gave me a whole 30ml bottle of eau du Parfum Tom Ford Black Orchid (presumably from a department store, since she doesn't really use the internet) for my birthday.
Could you please post a pic of it? :)

mjbunny;3267218 said:
Da-dummm, this thread suddenly comes back to life. :lol:

Actually, I just wanted to say that I had posted in this thread several times and was wrong about Tom Ford Black Orchid. See, I bought what was supposedly an authentic mini/sample of eau du parfum on ebay back in 2009 and it was so overpowering and way too gaggingly strong. I didn't like it. Then, earlier this month a friend of mine gave me a whole 30ml bottle of eau du Parfum Tom Ford Black Orchid (presumably from a department store, since she doesn't really use the internet) for my birthday. I thought, "Uh-oh. I'll never wear that." Last night I got a weird urge to try a squirt and... omg, it's a different scent than that sample! It's beautiful. It's sweet and orchidy, but then fades to this complex sweet powdery scent. Totally my kind of fragrance. I LOVE it. Too bad it's so expensive, because I could imagine wearing it often. :lol: So I just had to correct my earlier statements. Apparently the sample I got on ebay was some designer imposter thing put into a Tom Ford container and box. :rolleyes2: Ebayer beware.

There´s two versions of Black Orchid, Michael used the one with the golden plate on it, not the black one. Maybe you had that first?

moodyblue97;3268235 said:
There´s two versions of Black Orchid, Michael used the one with the golden plate on it, not the black one. Maybe you had that first?
That's why I asked for the photo cuz I know there are two of them.
Thanks for explanation!

Really Did He Used Joop I Have That Perfume :)))

Could you please post a pic of it? :)
There's a pic in the first post: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2044370&postcount=1 and also found some here http://www.boots.com/en/TOM-FORD/BLACK-ORCHID/

There's two versions of Black Orchid, Michael used the one with the golden plate on it, not the black one. Maybe you had that first?
There's the women's fragrance (black with a gold plate), which many men seemingly wear. I've run into a lot of reviewers that say it's pretty unisex. According to all the info I've heard and the rest of this thread, that's supposedly the one MJ wore. Or at least that's what everyone has purchased because of him! :lol: (It's hilarious - if you go to amazon.com and look this up you'll find that BaV and MJ-related items are now recommended to you too. :hysterical:) The bottle my friend gave me is this, the black bottle with gold plate and it's wonderful. Well, wonderful in my opinion. After a while it settles to a sweet and kind of vanilla-powdery orchid scent. Makes me want to cuddle. :wub:

There is also a Tom Ford Black Orchid for Men (clear bottle, I think also with a gold plate). I've never smelled it, but I think I can be pretty sure that's not what my little ebay sample was. It was said to be the 'for Women' version, and that's what the mini box said, but the scent was overwhelmingly strong orchid with no complexity whatsoever. I can't imagine this being anywhere in the neighborhood of a men's cologne. I'm thinking it was a counterfeit perfume. There's supposedly so much of out there for higher end brands. It smelled suspiciously like the old cheapo Jovan Floral Black Orchid from the 80's, but stronger. And I'm kind of happy about that, because I was a little worried about people saying they loved TFBO. I was like... this, really? :scratch:

Last edited:
anyone now which shops in the uk sell versailes. i can only see it online

after 2009 all the perfume shops in my country are filled with Tom Ford...there are many fans in my country and they all wanted this perfume so badly it did not exist before that date,,NOw you can buy it from the airline shop too,,,it is everywhere thanks to MJ fans.

anyway ,,is this the one MJ used :

http://www.boots.com/en/Tom-Ford-Black-Orchid-Luminous-Hair-Perfume-50ml_1036203/

the golden bottle ?
Seems that the golden bottle is the same scent as the black bottle, just made specifically to spray on your hair instead ("Luminous Hair Perfume"). So black bottle = for the skin, gold bottle = for the hair. Funny, cuz I spray perfume on my hair sometimes, but I didn't realize they actually made perfume specifically for that. :lol: I love the gold bottle, though! If I could afford 60 Euros for "hair perfume", I'd have to spring for it just for the bottle, lolol.

Ohood;3272473 said:
after 2009 all the perfume shops in my country are filled with Tom Ford...there are many fans in my country and they all wanted this perfume so badly it did not exist before that date,,NOw you can buy it from the airline shop too,,,it is everywhere thanks to MJ fans.

anyway ,,is this the one MJ used :

http://www.boots.com/en/Tom-Ford-Black-Orchid-Luminous-Hair-Perfume-50ml_1036203/

the golden bottle ?

No, that´s not the one he used. He used the black bottle with the golden plate on.

http://www.boots.com/en/Tom-Ford-Black-Orchid-Eau-de-Parfum-Spray-50ml_1036209/

That's funny, MJBunny. Funny how people have these 'Black Orchid' stories. :cheeky:

I remember buying this one (kind of by mistake, I was going for something different, but then suddenly this one ended up in my cart and when I realized it, I said, oh, why not)

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Tom-Ford-Black-Orchid-Voile-de-Fleur__TFBOVOILE.aspx

I got it- and it was lovely! I meant to buy a sample of the actual 'Black Orchid', by ended up buying this version instead. Tom Ford's "Black Orchid Voile de Fleur".

So, in the end I still have no clue how the actual 'Black Orchid' smells- but I somehow ended up with a wonderful EDT that works very nicely on me! :punk::D You just gotta let the invisible 'internet helpers' help you towards a nice scent for YOU. :D

Will still order a sample of the actual 'Black Orchid' as I can definitely tell the direction that one's going- probably will end up addicted.

I ordered my Bal A Versailles perfume from an American site called http://www.fragrancex.com, and I live in Sweden, the shipping was free however I had to pay tax on that when I collected it from the Swedish post office.
I can recommend this site as there were no problem for me with the order or the delivery, it took around 2 weeks to get here and it was well wrapped. I ordered the pure perfume, very tiny bottle but the scent stays for a long time. I hear Michael liked the tiny perfume bottle as he could keep it in his pocket to use whenever he needed to.
I dont use that perfume myself, mainly coz its not my kind of perfume, but also coz I dont want it to run out....so I just keep it with me, smell it from time to time whenever Im having those Michael moments :)

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_B-am-pid_721W-am-cid_Perfume__products.html

Good luck guys!

I havent tried Black Orchid but got a small bottle of the Bal a Versailles about a year and half ago. i don't wear much perfume anyway many places I go are perfume, fragrance free zone but in the evening i like the smell of it so put a little on.

thank you guys !

i got B.O. "2 bottles" but i want to try Tinker_Bell site to get BAV .

Last edited:
Back