Bal à Versailles:MJ's favorite perfume.(By Karen Faye)

Oh dear, I think my MJ addiction is getting worse! I've now bought BAV too - the eau de toilette because I may not like it on myself! So if it smells like talcum powder on me (many fragrances do) I will spray it onto a cotton hankie and keep it under my pillow.

I just got a tiny bottle of the Eau De Toilette (from a trusted ebay seller) before I read far enough to see the links where I could've gotten the perfume. Ah well.

It's funny the comments I've read online about this scent. Some people rave and yet I've also read that it smells like "panties":lmao: , an "old elementary school", all kinds of weird things. But then these might be people who pick up all these subtle little notes, which I never notice. People like wine tasters. "Can't you taste the subtle hint of chocolately rosewood?" Um, no, it tastes like WINE to me.

Wow, can't wait to smell this stuff :rofl:

LMAO why didnt i see this thread before...that cracked me HELLA up!!!
i wsh there was a scratch n sniff on the computer before buying lol

Okay. So. It just came. I found a tiny bottle of the perfume on ebay.

I swear this scent is soooo familiar to me, like I KNOW I've smelled this before, but I can't remember on WHOM. I want to say my grandmother, she had TONS of perfume bottles on her dresser when I was younger and I remember going through all of them just sniffing away. But that could just be because folks in this thread have referred to the scent as grandmother like. :)

It's not a BAD scent, but definitely not a young one... if you know what I mean. It's like hints of baby powder and some florals. It's hard to explain, I'm soo not a perfume expert. Can I picture MJ wearing this? Yes definitely in his later years. I can't see 29-30 year old Bad Tour MJ wearing this.. but Dangerous MJ, Invincible MJ, post 2005 MJ, yes.

Will I wear it again? Yes definitely. On a date? Probably not.. this isn't the kinda scent that will attract virile men in their 30s, but I'd wear it again like to work or a special occasion that does not involve me going out to meet single men!

Okay. So. It just came. I found a tiny bottle of the perfume on ebay.

I swear this scent is soooo familiar to me, like I KNOW I've smelled this before, but I can't remember on WHOM. I want to say my grandmother, she had TONS of perfume bottles on her dresser when I was younger and I remember going through all of them just sniffing away. But that could just be because folks in this thread have referred to the scent as grandmother like. :)

It's not a BAD scent, but definitely not a young one... if you know what I mean. It's like hints of baby powder and some florals. It's hard to explain, I'm soo not a perfume expert. Can I picture MJ wearing this? Yes definitely in his later years. I can't see 29-30 year old Bad Tour MJ wearing this.. but Dangerous MJ, Invincible MJ, post 2005 MJ, yes.

Will I wear it again? Yes definitely. On a date? Probably not.. this isn't the kinda scent that will attract virile men in their 30s, but I'd wear it again like to work or a special occasion that does not involve me going out to meet single men!

That made me laugh! If you have a bunch of old geezers following you, you'll know why! :lol:

I bought mine on Amazon last week, the parfum ($44 USD for .25). A tiny dab goes a long way. After it has been on a couple of minutes it really starts to smell good. I goes away but as it lingers, the smell is very nice.

If you put too much on, it can be overpowering. The parfum is strong so just ONE dab does it. My mom said she loved the scent too and she said she remembers it from the 60's.

I actually went to buy Black Orchid, but didn't like the smell that much, so bought gucci instead lol. I know I am a bad fan :p

That made me laugh! If you have a bunch of old geezers following you, you'll know why! :lol:

:lmao: I got enough old men chasing me, I don't need anything to add fuel to the fire!

It's settled down a bit on me now... i like it. Now I can smell like Mike! :wub:

I actually went to buy Black Orchid, but didn't like the smell that much, so bought gucci instead lol. I know I am a bad fan :p
LOL. I just won a little sample bottle of Black Orchid on ebay, so I'll get to smell that later this week...

LOL. I just won a little sample bottle of Black Orchid on ebay, so I'll get to smell that later this week...
The other version I think it's white orchid or something smells much better. But you might like it, everyone is different.

so are these both the Men style of the scent because i seriously dont see mj wearing the womens version... unless of course it was a less powerful scent.

Eh egm.. *clears throat* What's this about men in their 30's being considered old geezers??? :lol:

Edit: I read wrong. lol.. I was feeling old there for a second or two ;)

Dri, you may want to check your original post as you misspelled Karen Faye's name and I think it must have been an oversight on your part. Just wanted to draw attention to that so you can fix it. Then again, maybe it was intentional? I don't know.

so are these both the Men style of the scent because i seriously dont see mj wearing the womens version... unless of course it was a less powerful scent.

Bal A Versailles is made just for woman, but as I still don't get mine, I don't know how it smells like exactly... I wish I could answer that for you :(

whih option did u choose ?

did u buy the EDC spray fro 5.97 or pure perfume for £37?

I bought the 0.25 Oz Pure perfume version :D.
http://www.fragrancex.com/products/image.html?sid=BALVP14

I read a comment at youtube by someone who got the chance to meet michael jackson backstage during his us bad tour and she said that he smelled like fresh baby powder :cool:

I just got my perfume!!!! I'm so excited!!! opening... opning... taking pics... my camera screen isn't working so I don't know if I'm taking good pics... :p Smelling it...

Crying myself out... it's an amazing smell, it brought me back to my childhood, I used to have a powder in a round case with a huge and soft applicator... I loved that smell, and it smells just like it.

It isn't so strong, is a pleasant sent. Would be magnificent smell it on him :'(

The body lotion smells funny... nothing to do with the parfum... like too much soap with just a touch of the sent... I guess it's so you don't get too much of the smell on you if you use both the parfum and the body lotion... sharing the pics...

Kja.jpg

KjaAbierta.jpg

PLNote.jpg

TextNote.jpg

100_1188.jpg

OpenParfum.jpg

LotionOpened.jpg

Last edited:
My EDT arrived today - it is a fragrance that I remember from the past, and although I've never owned it before, it's very familiar.
'Top notes are rosemary, orange blossom, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, rose, neroli, bergamot, bulgarian rose and lemon; middle notes are sandalwood, patchouli, lilac, orris root, vetiver, ylang-ylang and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are tolu balsam, amber, musk, benzoin, civet, vanilla, cedar and resins. '

For me I pick up on the sandalwood and patchouli, so it reminds me of the 60's (and yes, I was born in the 50's too, like Michael). I think I'l be wearing this a lot from now on!

OMG! Are we weird??? Did we really all just buy perfume so we can smell like Mike? Did we really just do that??? :lol:

OMG! Are we weird??? Did we really all just buy perfume so we can smell like Mike? Did we really just do that??? :lol:
LOL. I guess it's an act of desperation? Or just admiration? I don't know. You know, I've never even owned a white glove, Beat It jacket or anything to be like Mike. I guess I always felt like only Michael could pull it off. It was too sacred. I'd just look like a moron, lolol. But yeah, the perfumes got me too! (Hmmm, and I suddenly have this weird craving for KFC....)

But speaking of perfume...

Just got my little sample vial of the parfum Tom Ford's BLACK ORCHID in the mail today!!! Da da dum.... :drumroll: ... I like it.

Years ago I had a fragrance also called "Black Orchid". I got it in a Jovan Florals sample thing for Christmas. The "Black Orchid" bottle went empty first because I liked it. This Tom Ford stuff smells much less cheap than that, lol, but definitely a similar scent. Very strong at first, though! Whoo. Now that it's been on for a few hours it's faded into a totally different smell on me. It's like black orchid and then almost candy-like. Weird. A tad similar to Bal a Versailles, believe it or not. It smelled nothing like it at first, but now it does. Or maybe that's just my body chemistry. (Or the fact that I totally suck at judging scent differences like this.) Anyway, I like it better than the BaV, actually. But not being a perfumey person, don't know if I'll wear it or the Bav on any kind of regular basis. But I certainly enjoy owning both of these now. Yes, it's an odd connection with Michael. And I really need that right now. To add: It's not as complex a scent, but I don't get the "grandma's dressing table" component with it like I do with BaV, lolol.

Last edited:
I,m a perfume addict, i always want the most exclusive and weird fragrances i can find.
creed is my favorite till now, but i,m very curious about this one....

I'm REALLY looking forward to get the BAV :p
I have been waiting 11 days now, so I'm getting a bit impatient ^^
You guys are lucky that already knows the smell :/

guys from Europe where do you get yours?
I love the bottle, it's so pretty
I am not sure I'll like the smell, cause it might be quite heavy for me, but it's Michael's fave perfume how can i resist not getting one?
btw the makers of this perfume must be wondering why the sales of it grew so much LMAO

I'm REALLY looking forward to get the BAV :p
I have been waiting 11 days now, so I'm getting a bit impatient ^^
You guys are lucky that already knows the smell :/

Calm down! I waited long for mine to came like 15 days or more, but at the end it's totally worth it.

The smell is not strong at all I wear it everyday on my wrists 1 parfum drop, and it gives you a sweet scent,

I have "Obsession"(Brown top) and "Obsession Night"(dark blue top)I SOOOO Love the smell and yes Its a female perfume/ it also has a men's version...I love both smells.

I just put it on right now and I'm smelling it...and imagining Michael...

Love,
Romi

Back