Album Re-Release: Michael Jackson The Hits 6 July 09 UK

Also, if you think about it, MJ wouldn't release new songs when most shows will be based on greatest hits. People would then want him to perform the new songs in concert - for which he hasn't had time to choreograph.

Again, he can't start a concert without any album release for promotion, that's why it seems the greatest hits route was taken to have somthing to promote

But the October to December break will give him time to work on more music videos and choreography for those songs in concert.

I thought I read somewhere Randy Philips said there will be new single before 8th July and that MJ will perform new songs in his concerts?
Anyway, I just see this as another Sony's way of making money by repackaging the same thing. Since Thriller 25, I've decided not to buy anything released under Sony ever.

There will be NO new album. Let's face it, this is it (the concerts, not a new album). At least we get to see him live.

There will be NO new album. Let's face it, this is it (the concerts, not a new album). At least we get to see him live.

it's easy to lose hope but don't. this is no indicator that Mj isn't interested in new music. he said himself, he's tired of doing the same billie jean routine, cus he's into the new. he said he's always writing new songs. and phillips said new stuff is coming. and MJ said new stuff is coming.

You can never tell if a new album is coming or not, you just hope it will. I still think something's coming regardless of how many years it's been.

And remember, there are seemingly endless quotes from him over the past four years or so talking about how he is always writing and composing music. He was committed to new studio material LONG before he thought about hitting the stage again. The man isn't done, musically, if you ask me.

i'm not tryying to be mean about this :thinking: :yes: :)

why do we need anyother greatest hits cd :thinking: :yes:

why MJ just release all the DVD's as releae :yes: :thinking:

i'm not tryying to be mean about this :thinking: :yes: :)

why do we need anyother greatest hits cd :thinking: :yes:

I agree, i think all that needs to be put out is a BRAND new album

No more "greatest hits", i think us fans have more of those cds than any other cd in our cd collection!

Enough with the remember me as I was with all the compilations and repackaging.
I want the now and being that he's still around,New Music should be abound.Maybe there's still hope for US.

I have also made peace with that, THERE WILL BE NO NEW STUFF. I remember how I felt last year and then they hit us with T25. Its a vicious cycle and I sure don't want to be the sucker again. I can only be greatful that we have a tour on our hands.

I believe there will be a new song released before the concerts and that song will be performed at the concerts as well. I think he will release a new album next spring after the last concert in London. Or maybe in between the break this fall.

I'd rather buy The Essential Janet Jackson.

mouahahaha! yeah me too! lol. didnt buy the essential MJ that time and i only got the KOP cd becuz i won it and my name is in the booklet lol.

FINALY !!!

Finaly a greatest hits album, It gets a little boring always hearing new material ;)

hahahahahah! yeah, who needs new material now LOL

Wouldn't new material bring in WAY more money? With the hype around the concerts Sony and MJ could make 10 times more sales/money then they ever would with a greatest hits.

yeah i think it would, at least from the fans...

The only positive thing about this album is the timing!

If it is released 2 days before the concerts in UK it will sell great I think.

Do you guys think this tracklist has similarities with the set list to the concerts?

if it would have a similarity to the concert set list, it would be a very big coincidence i guess...

Chart stats of MJ's compilations and non-studio remix albums in the UK:
1975: "The Best of Michael Jackson" (#11) - certified silver for 60,000 in the UK
1981: "One Day in Your Life" (#29)
1983: "18 Greatest Hits" (#1) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
1984: "Farewell My Summer Love" (#9) - certified gold in the UK
1987: "The Michael Jackson Mix" (#27) - certified platinum in the UK
1997: "The Best of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5" (#5)
1997: "Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix" (#1) - certified gold in the UK
1999: "Love Songs (w/Diana Ross)" (#12) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
2001: "Greatest Hits: HIStory Volume One" (#15)
2003: "Number Ones" (#1) - certified 4x platinum in the UK
2004: "Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection" (#75) - this is the lowest charted compilation in the UK for Michael (as well as otherwise)
2005: "The Essential Michael Jackson" (#2) - yep basically the same compilation, it may have a different cover
2008: "King of Pop" (#3)

didnt really realize that there were sooo many GH cds... thats way too much in my opinion...

Ok but i'm trying to make sense of this. Was there really a PROMISE of a new album? Or is it just RUMORED? People keep talking about a new album, but did Michael ever say he would release a new album before the tour? Does he even have a label to release it on? I might've missed that information, so I'm asking :)

it is just rumoured, i dont remember anybody confirming it. thats why i think there wont be a new album... :(

i really get the feeling there wont be any new album...im not very happy

same here... dont believe anything bout a new album anymore...

I thought I read somewhere Randy Philips said there will be new single before 8th July and that MJ will perform new songs in his concerts?
Anyway, I just see this as another Sony's way of making money by repackaging the same thing. Since Thriller 25, I've decided not to buy anything released under Sony ever.

yeah, he said a new single but he wasnt talking about a whole new album! well... but i already thought so...

I believe there will be a new song released before the concerts and that song will be performed at the concerts as well. I think he will release a new album next spring after the last concert in London. Or maybe in between the break this fall.

that's possible. i think michael released Bad album during the tour.

hmm yeah there will be one new song but i am absolutely unsure about the new album!

Just one new song...honsetly i think if there is only ONE song, what'z the point?

After reading about this album last night, I have now slept on it and have a different reaction. I'm no longer speechless, in fact I'm absolutely fuming! I can't believe how many times Mike/Sony or whoever has attempted to bend us fans over to take it up the exhaust pipe. Well I for one am not being Mike's or Sony's b!tch any more and they are not getting any more money out of me for anything MJ related until something new is released. Even if this contained a new song I wouldn't by it. I don't need to, and it would probably be out-dated anyway. Stuff them both. I had been considering replacing some MJ albums that were scratched with brand new copies, but not any more.
Mike has been beyond lazy over the past few years, and I'm sure he must be involved with these re-releases. I used to defend Mike saying he can't be broke blah,blah, but now I'm convinced he is beyond desperate for money. The constant re-releasing of his catalogue is another nail in his coffin, ruining whatever reputation he had left. Other people in the world have noticed what is going on and comment on how bad this is too, so it's not just us fans who realise this is wrong.

Every time anothe re-issue comes out my respect for Michael Jackson drops a little more. Every time he goes out wearing something stupid, the same thing happens. If he comes out and mimes his way through 'This Is It' then that may well be the last straw. Every since I Was a kid I thought of him as some sort of musical prodigy - a genius - who knew how to make good music and knew how the industry worked, but as time goes on this is looking less and less likely.

This is a sad time for me. I will still go to 'This Is It', but I have considered selling my tickets to preserve some of the admiration I have for him as an artist.

If they wanted to promote a greatest hits, why not just relaunch KoP?!? It would add to the sales of KoP, which weren't that great when it was first launched, the cover matches the design for 'This Is It', and it probably contains a very similar setlist to the concerts. That makes much more sense to me.

as a big MJ fan i never bought any of his, re-released album (i know weird), i will just select a few songs i didnt have and buy them online. but i think this is just a joke to see what peoples reaction is going to be like. and new material may drop so lets just wait and see.

After reading about this album last night, I have now slept on it and have a different reaction. I'm no longer speechless, in fact I'm absolutely fuming! I can't believe how many times Mike/Sony or whoever has attempted to bend us fans over to take it up the exhaust pipe. Well I for one am not being Mike's or Sony's b!tch any more and they are not getting any more money out of me for anything MJ related until something new is released. Even if this contained a new song I wouldn't by it. I don't need to, and it would probably be out-dated anyway. Stuff them both. I had been considering replacing some MJ albums that were scratched with brand new copies, but not any more.
Mike has been beyond lazy over the past few years, and I'm sure he must be involved with these re-releases. I used to defend Mike saying he can't be broke blah,blah, but now I'm convinced he is beyond desperate for money. The constant re-releasing of his catalogue is another nail in his coffin, ruining whatever reputation he had left. Other people in the world have noticed what is going on and comment on how bad this is too, so it's not just us fans who realise this is wrong.

Every time anothe re-issue comes out my respect for Michael Jackson drops a little more. Every time he goes out wearing something stupid, the same thing happens. If he comes out and mimes his way through 'This Is It' then that may well be the last straw. Every since I Was a kid I thought of him as some sort of musical prodigy - a genius - who knew how to make good music and knew how the industry worked, but as time goes on this is looking less and less likely.

This is a sad time for me. I will still go to 'This Is It', but I have considered selling my tickets to preserve some of the admiration I have for him as an artist.

If they wanted to promote a greatest hits, why not just relaunch KoP?!? It would add to the sales of KoP, which weren't that great when it was first launched, the cover matches the design for 'This Is It', and it probably contains a very similar setlist to the concerts. That makes much more sense to me.

Hear Hear - I have to say I agree with everything you said here. People that say 'well you don't have to buy it' are wrong. That's no excuse for blatantly trying to cash in on fans over & over again. We were ripped off with BOTDF, we were ripped off with History (not being able to buy the new stuff separately), we were ripped off with the KOP album (they cynically used fans to conceive & market it so they all bought it) and God knows how many other greatest hits rubbish.
If a new fan wants to get a greatest hits, there are plenty to choose from, they dont need a new release.
I'm sick of the cynical and greedy attitude and utter disregard for fans. It's ironic considering the lyrics of 'Money'.
If they put just one new song on, I wil genuinely lose all respect.
It also makes me worried about the Tour - will is be another money making scam with no subtance (i.e. a mime through his back catalogue)?
Rant over. And of course, it may not even be true.

This rererererererelease is just frustrating. And I tell you Off the Wall 30 is coming soon, that is even worse and it is such a retarded idea. It's sad that he has to close the last chapter of his career with a residency performing old hits. I guess maybe he is done musically. SAD.

And also - with the rubbish sales of the last greatest hits albums, haven't they got the message yet that nobody wants it!!

This rererererererelease is just frustrating. And I tell you Off the Wall 30 is coming soon, that is even worse and it is such a retarded idea. It's sad that he has to close the last chapter of his career with a residency performing old hits. I guess maybe he is done musically. SAD.

Agree. There's nothing they [and that includes MJ as he has final sign off] won't remix, digitally remaster, or add an extra lyric to just to make a few quid bucks. They really think MJ fans are that desperate, they'll buy anything. It's insulting.

Hear Hear - I have to say I agree with everything you said here. People that say 'well you don't have to buy it' are wrong. That's no excuse for blatantly trying to cash in on fans over & over again. We were ripped off with BOTDF, we were ripped off with History (not being able to buy the new stuff separately), we were ripped off with the KOP album (they cynically used fans to conceive & market it so they all bought it) and God knows how many other greatest hits rubbish.
If a new fan wants to get a greatest hits, there are plenty to choose from, they dont need a new release.
I'm sick of the cynical and greedy attitude and utter disregard for fans. It's ironic considering the lyrics of 'Money'.
If they put just one new song on, I wil genuinely lose all respect.
It also makes me worried about the Tour - will is be another money making scam with no subtance (i.e. a mime through his back catalogue)?
Rant over. And of course, it may not even be true.
I agree with everything both of you said except the bolded parts. I love HIStory and BOTDF. It was through HIStory, my first MJ album. that I learnt about his old songs.

Agree. There's nothing they [and that includes MJ as he has final sign off] won't remix, digitally remaster, or add an extra lyric to just to make a few quid bucks. They really think MJ fans are that desperate, they'll buy anything. It's insulting.
Exactly. I recalled I read somewhere some Sony exec. said MJ fans will buy any MJ release. They thought we are fools.

Yeah great albums but we had to pay over the odds for them (i.e. full price for just a few new songs). HIStory is also my fave album but we should have had a choice whether to buy both (I had all the old stuff)

even if there is a new album..with the comeback tour some ppl - not huge fans - might want to buy such collection..

I think it is sad at this stage, especially after all the comments from AEG about new material being released just before the tour starts, and what about all these artists who made statements about collaborating with Mike and working on new music??

I am totally confused, MJ could have at least released a Bad tour 88 DVD, that would be pretty much better.

At least for the moment, we will see MJ live in less than 2 months.

This is really rubbing salt into the wound. The would being no new music from someone, who is well-regarded as the King Of Pop (?), for nearly 8 years.

In this regard, it is lazy.

Back