Album Re-Release: Michael Jackson The Hits 6 July 09 UK

bored...what a load of $£%p another hits album ... - this is good if released with a new album but otherwise $£%p ... mmm

OMGGG. *yawn*
I was hoping for a new album to go with the concerts...not a reissue. :sad:

Guys, I don't see any problem here.

This is a simple re-packaging of a greatest hits collection for the mass market as there are millions of people that have not any Michael Jackson CD in their possession.

THIS IS NOT AIMED AT FANS and does IN NO WAY negatively effect other upcoming releases (including new music).
It also doesn't negatively affect the artist's reputation - the contrary is the case.

Music companies have to make money with their contracted artists's material - otherwise they would never establish a financial backup to finance expansive marketing campaigns for new artists.

This is it - the way the industry works.
If you don't tolerate that, just ask yourself how an artist like Michael Jackson could be promoted if there's no strong big company behind him and how a company actually becomes that strong.

Sony Music is doing a great job. "Thriller 25" and "King of Pop" have brought back the focus on the music into the media.

There'll be news about upcoming releases soon. And I'm not talking about re-issues.

This is a simple re-packaging of a greatest hits collection for the mass market as there are millions of people that have not any Michael Jackson CD in their possession.

THIS IS NOT AIMED AT FANS and does IN NO WAY negatively effect other upcoming releases (including new music).
It also doesn't negatively affect the artist's reputation - the contrary is the case.

Music companies have to make money with their contracted artists's material - otherwise they would never establish a financial backup to finance expansive marketing campaigns for new artists.

If you don't tolerate that, just ask yourself how an artist like Michael Jackson could be promoted if there's no strong big company behind him and how a company actually becomes that strong.

Sony Music is doing a great job. "Thriller 25" and "King of Pop" have brought back the focus on the music into the media.

There'll be news about upcoming releases soon. And I'm not talking about re-issues.
EXACTLY! :yes::clapping:

:clapping::agree::yes:

why?

fans don't have to buy them. they aren't a big deal

I agree with you. People are complaining because it is more a collection. It's simple: just do not buy it. Nobody is obliged to buy. Many people are making a storm over it. Michael is who decides and does what he think should be done and we are not owners of it, we are fans and who do not like the idea of launching another collection at least respect that. I just want Michael to follow your heart and do what he has will.​

yea this is nothing other than taking advantage of devoted fans. its automatic sales. whoever said putting out a new cd and doing concerts is an overload is ridiculous, no offense. thats the exact reason why most artists tour.
the only thing we can do to stop this exploitation is to not purchase the album. im sure mj had a say in this and its too bad they are not going "all-out".

I agree with you. People are complaining because it is more a collection. It's simple: just do not buy it. Nobody is obliged to buy. Many people are making a storm over it. Michael is who decides and does what he think should be done and we are not owners of it, we are fans and who do not like the idea of launching another collection at least respect that. I just want Michael to follow your heart and do what he has will.​

:yes::D

How many collections do you need? Half of you are saying, its not for the fans, and the others are saying it is, as well as saying we don't have to buy it. They might as well just promote the old albums, why do we need another rerelease? People were gonna go out and buy them anyway as soon as the tour starts, just like how they always jump back into the charts after every TV special that airs. No one wants 10+ year old music, and if they did they would just go out and buy it, theres no need for a rerelease. Rereleases with no fucking content, the covers are even the same.

I'm surprised everyones not angry in someway that we get a GH EVERY YEAR! If not some other type of collection. I always cuss musicians that bring out greatest hits albums after only like two or three album, but releasing the same things over and over again is just ridiculous. At least give us the crap that wasn't good enough to go on the other albums *cough* BOTDF *cough*

What are people losing their head over? Y'all act like the world just ended haha. Don't but it if you don't want to. Re-released or greatest hits packages have nothing to do with the likelyhood of new material coming or not. They're seperate.

This is just a sales gimmick. It happens.

You don't have to buy it. The concerts are coming up - be happy. Cheer up. Calm down (!)

:clapping: I also agree with you. I think these compilations are also for those fans who are beginners starting to know the work of Michael. Today Michael has many fans adolescents between 12 and 15 years of age. These collections provide the opportunity of these teenagers know the songs of Michael and also attract new fans adolescents. And if the contract is to launch a collection of more... it would in any way even if some fans claim! :yes:

oh my is this thread still here. Why bother. I've only bought the Ultimate collection. ...and moving on...

Is this the "new" album that was supposed to be realeased before the concert? Or is there another one coming? I'm so dissapointed with yet another greatest hits, who the h*ll made that decision?

It's a shame, because like someone said, Michael will made to look bad here by yet another GH.. But at least we all know it's Sony :)

It's crap though really isn't it.. *sigh* Moving on..

Re: New Album Release: Michael Jackson The Hits 6 July 09 UK

Why jump to conclusions.. A Hits CD released at the same time as the new album is very feasable don't you think? Some could buy both..
100% agree with you! Because releasing the hits album WITHOUT a new song is an excellent hint that Michael wants to release a 100% NEW album, and also both could sell very well during the tour.

So let’s keep waiting! :)

Well, Sony knows that people will still buy this. Though if it's aimed at the casual fan, pressing more copies of the essential would surely cost less for them! Or do they think people would be deterred by the '2005' date stamp on it! I agree surely most casual people wanting an MJ GT Hits would have got one by now.

Compilations being so recent seem to do well for some reason, as there are other compilations much better than even KOP and older ones with better content aren’t selling as well. People seem to go for the new release. Perhaps the casual ‘lazy’ fan can’t be bothered to find the MJ section in HMV.

KOP is still in the top 40, people are still buying that, it seems popular especially as it’s about half as much as it cost when it was released. It being a single disc is more popular for some reason as they are usually only slightly cheaper than a double. But doubles seem to be less well.

They should have just stuck to KOP to pair with the Concerts as the image and artwork are the same. Plus he would do about 17-20 songs a show too, and for J5 hits 1997’s The very best of seems to selling well as a back catalogue album. They make nice partners for each other.

As collectors we’ve every right to moan about this, after all we will be spending the £££’s on it… Sure we don’t have to buy it but we do because well we want to, perhaps it’s silly but oh well. It doesn’t mean were happy about yet another GT Hits, and for that reason yes, we are being taken advantage off as fans. And SO soon after KOP, less than a year... as I said in another thread at least we usually get a couple of years between comps.

P.S Do Sony not realise we are in a recession;) ... not helping love.

Lv x

Last edited:
Actually it is not strange at all that a GH double CD gets released just before the first concert. I always felt it was very unlikely that new material would surface before the concerts. Michael is doing this the right way, as he has ambitions for the new CD.

And the first job is getting the hype back up again. He has done the first part, wich is to announce that he is gonna perform again. That alone is a huge statement to show that MJ is still doing what he does. And making music and performing it IS what he does.

First order of business is to get people excited over the fact that Michael Jackson is back. Then they see how well the ticket sales go to see how their next strategy should be. And in this case he has two jobs to do. First is to get all the old fans and all the people who have followed him fro A to Z in on the ride. And we did by buying tickets for 50 shows, alot more then they anticipated. The next job is to get the new generation of kids excited about Michael Jackson. Many of them only know some of Michaels work. Many of them have not seen MJ live at all, or only bits of him performing, so launching a live DVD would not be the right choice. Those who would care that much about catching up old footage of Michael before they see him in the flesh, would use youtube and fan sites. The job he has to do is to get them excited over his music.

The obvious thing would be to release some GH package prior to the shows, and get a hype going about his songs. seeing him sing them live, and going home and listening to the CD recapturing the magic from the concert. Now you got a bunch of new people excited about what you have done since 1969. Now it is time to release new material.

The strategy is to gain as much sales as humanly possible, so the marketing of Michaels comeback is thought heavily through.

I don't think we will see any new album until well into the O2 gigs, probably sometime between october and January, when Michael is having a brake from the concerts.

That time period is the perfect one to release new music and have the number one album all over the world.

Back