Album Re-Release: Michael Jackson The Hits 6 July 09 UK

Re: New Album Release: Michael Jackson The Hits 6 July 09 UK

VERY misleading. I was about to enter this forum..and i only saw a bit of 'New album...' so i was like....really? Is this it?!!!...but once again another freaking greatest hits..who the hell cares...i surely don't anymore.

To be honest...i think it's a damn shame really. A new album alongside with the shows would have been killer...this sucks....

I'm not angry with the greatest hits albums, i'm just bored with them. Why not release Bad tour 1988 on DVD instead, or even a new live album?

:clapping:I think it would be AWESOME if he released the Bad Tour on DVD. I mean, hell, there's already a bunch of music compilations out there, why not do a tour compilation or something. (Not that that has anything to do with how great MJ looks in leather or....you know....:heart: )

MOD WARNING:

Remember that personal attacks ARE NOT TOLERADED by MJJC.

Keep conversation respectful and if ya'll don't agree with each other, agree to disagree and spare us all of the smart ass comments.

I think saying that they are taking advantage of fans is BS. It's not like they're are misleading your or manipulating things in a way. You can see what the product is, it's your choice to buy it. This is not taking advantage of anything.

Unfortunately this seems to be a very popular tactic in today's industry, the same thing happens in de movie industry too, it's just a safe sale I guess, without too much going into it.

I think saying that they are taking advantage of fans is BS. It's not like they're are misleading your or manipulating things in a way. You can see what the product is, it's your choice to buy it. This is not taking advantage of anything.

Unfortunately this seems to be a very popular tactic in today's industry, the same thing happens in de movie industry too, it's just a safe sale I guess, without too much going into it.

That's all it is. And I knew it was a hits package before coming in the thread. :lol:

I don't know who is behind this album or if Michael has approved it or not so I'm not gonna speak my mind on that.
However I'm sick to death of this compilations, at least in the "Ultimate Collection" we got some rare stuff and the Bucharest concert on DVD.

This compilation however is completely useless to a MJ fan like me who already have all that stuff, I might as well go and buy some 12" records instead and smell the vinyl.

What I think Sony (or whoever) is trying to do is to have a new compilation out there at the same time as the concerts because there will probably be a whole lot of people that don't have all the MJ records and of course they will buy a compilation instead of getting all the albums.
I mean, what is it, nearly 1 million tickets sold? If the compilation can push a half a million it's been a huge success to Sony since it basically didn't cost them anything to make this compilation. It isn't like making a new record where you have to pay a shit load to the producers and songwriters.

I mean, it's gonna be Michael mania the second quarter of this year.

I don't know who is behind this album or if Michael has approved it or not so I'm not gonna speak my mind on that.
However I'm sick to death of this compilations, at least in the "Ultimate Collection" we got some rare stuff and the Bucharest concert on DVD.

This compilation however is completely useless to a MJ fan like me who already have all that stuff, I might as well go and buy some 12" records instead and smell the vinyl.

What I think Sony (or whoever) is trying to do is to have a new compilation out there at the same time as the concerts because there will probably be a whole lot of people that don't have all the MJ records and of course they will buy a compilation instead of getting all the albums.
I mean, what is it, nearly 1 million tickets sold? If the compilation can push a half a million it's been a huge success to Sony since it basically didn't cost them anything to make this compilation. It isn't like making a new record where you have to pay a shit load to the producers and songwriters.

I mean, it's gonna be Michael mania the second quarter of this year.

The odd thing about this is that there could be some people who had already have the albums and a whole lot of compilations and will get this one regardless. Some people buy compilations when their copy is scratched up and they have no other way of fixing it. :lol: Then again I think England releases it because compilations do GREAT over there. Shoot, Queen's 1981 hits album is the best-selling album in UK history. Kinda reminds how the Eagles got theirs in America, lol.

I think saying that they are taking advantage of fans is BS. It's not like they're are misleading your or manipulating things in a way quote]

I understand what your saying, but if you are a collector your only purchasing the same products in different packaging. If you want to have ALL Michael Jackson releases, and most die hard fans do, wouldnt it be fair, or even a treat to offer at least a new song, track variations, or DVD?

LOL!!!
I don't even see the economic aspect of this shit!
Sony could have simply reprinted the Essential or Number Ones!
Why change the title of an already existing GH? Doesn't have any sense to me. Also if it is only for the UK. So the rest of the world is still save!

The odd thing about this is that there could be some people who had already have the albums and a whole lot of compilations and will get this one regardless. Some people buy compilations when their copy is scratched up and they have no other way of fixing it. :lol: Then again I think England releases it because compilations do GREAT over there. Shoot, Queen's 1981 hits album is the best-selling album in UK history. Kinda reminds how the Eagles got theirs in America, lol.

True that! :)
And I think, you know many MJ fans will buy it just because it's MJ. I mean regardless if you even get a blank/empty cd some fans will buy it just because MJ's on the cover.

I mean, that's how it worked in the hysteric "magazines era" in the 90's before internet and blogs got it poppin good.
As a kid I bought magazines from all over the world just because MJ was in it.
I couldn't understand what they wrote about MJ in the magazine, but I sure knew how to cut out the MJ pictures from the magazines and put them up my wall :D

I'm sure this compilation will be #1 on the British chart!

^^ Or at least #5. I think "The King of Pop" debuted at number five. :lol: Plus there's already Motown-era Michael releases out now because of Motown's 50th anniversary in England RIGHT NOW.

True that! :)
And I think, you know many MJ fans will buy it just because it's MJ. I mean regardless if you even get a blank/empty cd some fans will buy it just because MJ's on the cover.

I mean, that's how it worked in the hysteric "magazines era" in the 90's before internet and blogs got it poppin good.
As a kid I bought magazines from all over the world just because MJ was in it.
I couldn't understand what they wrote about MJ in the magazine, but I sure knew how to cut out the MJ pictures from the magazines and put them up my wall :D

I'm sure this compilation will be #1 on the British chart!

ur right about that.
mj's magic keeps him ahead of the game.

Chart stats of MJ's compilations and non-studio remix albums in the UK:
1975: "The Best of Michael Jackson" (#11) - certified silver for 60,000 in the UK
1981: "One Day in Your Life" (#29)
1983: "18 Greatest Hits" (#1) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
1984: "Farewell My Summer Love" (#9) - certified gold in the UK
1987: "The Michael Jackson Mix" (#27) - certified platinum in the UK
1997: "The Best of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5" (#5)
1997: "Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix" (#1) - certified gold in the UK
1999: "Love Songs (w/Diana Ross)" (#12) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
2001: "Greatest Hits: HIStory Volume One" (#15)
2003: "Number Ones" (#1) - certified 4x platinum in the UK
2004: "Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection" (#75) - this is the lowest charted compilation in the UK for Michael (as well as otherwise)
2005: "The Essential Michael Jackson" (#2) - yep basically the same compilation, it may have a different cover
2008: "King of Pop" (#3)

Apologies to anyone who though the thread title was misleading. I had posted the original news from michaeljackson.com before realising that this was just a re-release of Essential MJ with a new title.

Chart stats of MJ's compilations and non-studio remix albums in the UK:
1975: "The Best of Michael Jackson" (#11) - certified silver for 60,000 in the UK
1981: "One Day in Your Life" (#29)
1983: "18 Greatest Hits" (#1) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
1984: "Farewell My Summer Love" (#9) - certified gold in the UK
1987: "The Michael Jackson Mix" (#27) - certified platinum in the UK
1997: "The Best of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5" (#5)
1997: "Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix" (#1) - certified gold in the UK
1999: "Love Songs (w/Diana Ross)" (#12) - certified platinum for 300,000 in the UK
2001: "Greatest Hits: HIStory Volume One" (#15)
2003: "Number Ones" (#1) - certified 4x platinum in the UK
2004: "Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection" (#75) - this is the lowest charted compilation in the UK for Michael (as well as otherwise)
2005: "The Essential Michael Jackson" (#2) - yep basically the same compilation, it may have a different cover
2008: "King of Pop" (#3)

charting at 75, after so many rereleases, and considering that that is the most expensive set released..is a monster feat. it's still well within the top 100. and when you consider how many new artists are far from charting at all, it's even more of a monster feat.:yes:

I'm a collector too but I won't buy any more greatest hits. Because if we'll not stop buying them, they will continue to release more and more... I don't want to buy all the same songs million times again! We've had enough!..

I'll buy first his new songs and then the others like this album.

Last edited:

Obviously it's impossible to tell just how involved Michael himself was with this new compilation, but as far as Legacy Recordings goes, they should be ashamed. Why in the world would you put up a reissue feedback forum where music fans can suggest release ideas if you aren't going to listen? There are numerous ideas for Michael Jackson concert DVD releases, rare material releases, etc. with TONS of votes from fans. Yet it's as if any input is just ignored.

I'm with everybody who wants a Bad Tour 88 release. What better way to promote Michael Jackson concerts in LONDON than release one of his historic shows from Wembley Stadium?

Of course it will have some influence on when they will release the new album. It would be really stupid to release the new album right after another 'Greatest Hits' album. The album is not supposed to be only bought by his regular fanbase, but also by the, how you call it, casual consumers. The new album is supposed to increase his fanbase. If the ''casual'' consumer will buy his new Greatest Hits album, and his new personal album is released soon after, they might not want to spend money again on the new album. If they are gonna release the albums right after each other, there might be a chance the ''casual'' consumer might wanna go for the 'Greatest Hits' album, because those are songs they are all familiar with them and are sure they are gonna like it, which means there might be chance of more people downloading the album for free or something like that. Whatever people are going to do, releasing these two albums right after each other will affect the sales.
Actually you have it backwards

albums with new material are targeted at the fanbase and the casual consumer.

Greatest Hits albums are used as common practice to increase new fans. It's to introduce the artist's work to the consumer,

An re-releases and greatest hits albums NEVER affect the sales of the new album and it provides more anticipation for a new album. They're basically used to DRAW IN fans.

Remember in 2001 when they released the special editions then released Invincible 2 weeks later

Great stuff !
Whats wrong with sticking a unreleased song on there?
and prehaps have the brainwave of changing the picture on the cover?

Anyways I won't be buying it thats for sure.
A new album well thats a complete different kettle of fish!

I adjusted the title.

I didn't buy Essential the first go around certainly not buying it now.

A new album while touring = the best promotion ever!! His album would top the charts everywhere. All the excitement and the buzz. Seeing the new album posters. I just hope there will be a new album release soon!! We've waited too long :)

I think saying that they are taking advantage of fans is BS. It's not like they're are misleading your or manipulating things in a way quote]

I understand what your saying, but if you are a collector your only purchasing the same products in different packaging. If you want to have ALL Michael Jackson releases, and most die hard fans do, wouldnt it be fair, or even a treat to offer at least a new song, track variations, or DVD?

Not really, I mean it's still your choice that you are such a hardcore collector. :) If you're the kind of fan that sees all the tracks that they have already, but still buys the disc because it's a different release, or because it looks different, well then that's your own choice.

I wont be buying this

If this is the only mj cd coming out to conside with the tour, im not gonna be happy.

I mean if its stated that there is gonna be a new album..then that is what SHOULD COME OUT FIRST!!! im sorry but that is IMO

I wont be buying this

If this is the only mj cd coming out to conside with the tour, im not gonna be happy.

I mean if its stated that there is gonna be a new album..then that is what SHOULD COME OUT FIRST!!! im sorry but that is IMO

Ok but i'm trying to make sense of this. Was there really a PROMISE of a new album? Or is it just RUMORED? People keep talking about a new album, but did Michael ever say he would release a new album before the tour? Does he even have a label to release it on? I might've missed that information, so I'm asking :)

I thought that randy guy said that there was gonna be a new album

Or am i misleading what he said?

A greatest hits release before the concerts start means no new album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the fuck would buy a greatest hits album if a new mj album would come out as well, think about it.

I suppose this is how it will be

In July
New song
Greatest Hits Album
30 shows - as they are based on his greatest hits

Then in January
New Album
20 shows

Followed by a world tour

Michael cannot release an entire album now as it's a bit of an overload to release an album, do videos while doing a concert.

I think in the past, like his Bad album, he was able to release an album and tour immediately afterwards because there was long term planning and he had done the music videos before the tour.

But the AEG deal has only been negotiated and sealed a few months back, added with Michael's initial reluctance, uncertainties of response and then everything suddenly rushing up, he's unlikely to do what fans would have wanted.

AEG i feel would like to see the first stage of this project as a success, which would then provide fuel for the album and the next stage.

It may even be that he may release more than one song before 2010 based on the performamnce of the first song as he can find time to fix a video shoot in between concerts for a second song release and it can be filmed in London or Europe.

Let June and July come around and we will see what he has planned.

i really get the feeling there wont be any new album...im not very happy

Back