US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

so what do ppl think are the chances of the republicans scamming their way to victory again by stopping votes from being counted etc. nothing would surprise me. read the below article yesterday.very intresting. kinda amazes me about the crap that goes on. yet bush and co have the gaul to call others out on democracy

Richard Heller: Nightmare scenario shows why Obama can't count on victory

TH1_3010200844US-Election-2.jpg

There is still a mountain to climb for Obama

« Previous
« Previous

Next »
Next »

View Gallery

ADVERTISEMENT

Carrick300x250_081008.gif

Published Date: 30 October 2008
By Richard Heller

THE event to fit this sensational headline – "McCain Sneaks Win: Obama Calls Foul" – has not yet occurred. All current evidence suggests that it is extremely unlikely. But after two disputed Presidential elections, in 2000 and 2004, Democrats are still haunted by the fear that a combination of wonky voting machines and partisan local officials could rob them of victory again.
Their nightmare should keep us awake too. A disputed McCain victory would be the worst possible outcome of the American election. It would simultaneously fragment America, paralyse the world economy and heighten the risk of major war.

As I write these lines, everything is set fair for Barack Obama. Polls, issues, money, momentum and luck are all working for him. His campaign is focused relentlessly on his winning issues – the economy and the almost universal longing for change after eight years of George W Bush.

And yet… the election could still go horribly wrong for him. It is commonplace for Presidential races to tighten in the final
days. He needs big leads, especially in battleground states, to overcome the real risk that many Democratic supporters simply will not be counted on election day.

British general elections are contested under uniform voting procedures which make it very easy – some say too easy – for people to register and vote. They are also controlled by non-partisan officials. None
of these things apply in the United States.

There will not be one Presidential election on November 4 – nor even 50. There will be more than 13,000 elections – one in each county or municipality in the 50 states, all subject to local rules and conditions and influenced by elected officials from the major parties.

This makes it very easy for would-be voters to fall foul of some local rule or a partisan ruling – especially if they are poor, or old, or African-American, or Hispanic, or recent migrants, or first-time voters who, generally, are all groups which tend to favour the Democrats.

Some counties and states actively seek out voters, especially poor people, others (often supported by the Bush administration) obstruct volunteer voter registration drives and challenge their results. Some states demand a "perfect match" of voters' names and addresses against Federal records – so that a misplaced comma by a government clerk can rob a voter of his vote. (Ironically, McCain's celebrity working-class supporter, Joe The Plumber, has fallen foul of such a rule).

In other states, partisan officials and even private contractors can simply "purge" voters, without their knowledge, for alleged felonies or breaches of other rules.

On election day itself, some states ask voters to produce
their driving licences or other official ID, which poorer or older voters find more difficult to do. And, as in Ohio in 2004, they may allot fewer polling booths to poorer and African-American districts to force these voters to wait longer. And those who endure the wait may find that they have been allotted the oldest voting machines – most likely to produce a spoiled ballot, which officials reject.

Finally, there is the scandal of the "provisional" ballot – voters challenged when they attempt to vote and forced to accept a special ballot which is not counted until their qualification is confirmed by officials. In 2004, there were at least three million of these – and at least a million were rejected out of hand without review or appeal.

All, and any of these measures, are entirely capable of tipping key states away from Obama to McCain. One expert, Laughlin McDonald, head of the voting rights project of the American Civil Liberties Union, has warned: "There have been more attempts at voter suppression in the lead-up to this election than any I can remember."

Therefore, the headline could still come true. McCain ekes out an electoral-college victory with tiny majorities in states where thousands of Democratic supporters have been disqualified. Lawsuits are launched, but the experience of 2000 suggests that they will be futile and McCain is inaugurated.

This result would be a catastrophe for the United States and the world. Millions of Americans lose faith in the democratic process. McCain faces a hostile Congress with no mandate and no moral authority. There is no consensus on domestic policy, markets panic and the economy falls from crisis into paralysis.

Like other unpopular Presidents before him, McCain plays the patriot card. His egregious Vice-President, Sarah Palin, launches
a cultural war between "loyal, God-loving" (Republican) Americans and "disloyal, godless" Democrats. McCain tries to bolster his ratings by a tough foreign and national security policy. He escalates the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan – he may even start a new one in Iran.

Any result would be better than this. We must all hope that the American people produce a decisive result. Either – as present trends suggest – they give Barack Obama a big popular and electoral vote majority, or, if they change their minds in the final week, they do so on such a scale that John McCain wins in his own right, without the help of confusion and manipulation on election day.

Richard Heller has reported American elections since 1988 and is presently in the key battleground state of Virginia.

The full article contains 894 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

• Last Updated: 30 October 2008 9:35 AM

so what do ppl think are the chances of the republicans scamming their way to victory again by stopping votes from being counted etc. nothing would surprise me. read the below article yesterday.very intresting. kinda amazes me about the crap that goes on. yet bush and co have the gaul to call others out on democracy

[/LIST]

mann that would really suck if the repbulicans scam their way to victory.. I wouldnt be shocked though!!!

Honestly, IF the Republican try that, there WOULD be riots, and I have no doubt about that. That's why I think they wont try something similar to what happened in 2000. McCain isn't stupid, I'm sure he's WELL aware of what would happen. Plus, McCain isn't W. He doesn't have a bunch of his daddy's friends on the supreme court nor is the main chair person of his campaign the head of an state's voting committee or anything of that nature. Don't get me wrong, I feel there will be (and there has been already) some disenfranchisment of voters, but I don't think it'll be enough to cheat Obama from the presidency. If things continue the way they have been, I have no doubt we'll be looking at a President Elect Obama come Wednesday morning. Mark my words.

Now I know ANYTHING could happen between now and Tuesday, but the possibilities of it actually happening is VERY slim. Just my honest opinion. Think positive people! We must keep the faith, as hard as it is, we have too. We're in the final stretch.

Polling update - October 31, 2008

The reaction from the Obama-mercial settled in today with his numbers going up across the board among national polls. However, there's been no significant change in the battleground state polls yet.

National Polls
Gallup (Registered) Obama +11
Gallup (Expanded) Obama +10
Gallup (Traditional) Obama +10
ABC News/Washington Post Obama +9
Diageo/Hotline Obama +7
Marist Obama +7
Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby Obama +5
Rasmussen Obama +5
IBD/TIPP Obama +4
GWU/Battleground Obama +4
AVERAGE Obama +7.2

Electoral College
Obama 353
McCain 185

Battleground States
Missouri (11) McCain +1
North Dakota (3) McCain +1
Indiana (11) McCain +2
North Carolina (15) Obama +2
Florida (27) Obama +3
Montana (3) McCain +4
Georgia (15) McCain +4
Arizona (10) McCain +4
Ohio (20) Obama +6
Colorado (9) Obama +7
Virginia (13) Obama +7
Nevada (5) Obama +7
West Virginia (5) McCain +8
New Mexico (5) Obama +9
Pennsylvania (5) Obama +9

Last edited:
Being a non -American, I sincerely hope that the next American president is one who is worldy-wise and truly understands the global influence that such a role entails. Barack Obama is the guy for the job and outside of America, I think the world ( well within my little world anyway!) expects and needs an Obama win. I'm hopeful that he'll do it, I think he will mobilise more of the electorate to actually get out there and vote. I do think its a tighter race than what polls are predicting though.

Soon all will be revealed.

Oh um.... just came to check and say... 2 days left :wink:

EDIT: And to answer EM's question... then we (me n family) need to go to Maryland QUICK, or Atlanta, cuz uh, I'd love to have some free stuff. (Get the joke?...)

Last edited:
<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0' width='320' height='270' id='yfop'><param name='movie' value='http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' /><param name='flashvars' value='id=10474316&shareEnable=1' /><embed src='http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' width='320' height='270' name='yfop' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' flashvars='id=10474316&shareEnable=1'></embed></object>

Polling update - November 1, 2008

Great day for Obama. His lead in the national polls goes up by a point while McCain's numbers drop in the state polls. Obama also gains some in Florida. To me it looks like the undecided voters are making up their minds and their choice is Obama.

National Polls
Gallup (Expanded) Obama +10
Gallup (Traditional) Obama +10
CBS News Obama +13
ABC News/Washington Post Obama +9
Diageo/Hotline Obama +7
Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby Obama +5
Rasmussen Obama +5
IBD/TIPP Obama +5
AVERAGE Obama +8.3

Electoral College
Obama 353
McCain 185

Battleground States
Missouri (11) McCain +1
Indiana (11) McCain +1
North Carolina (15) Obama +2
Georgia (15) McCain +4
Florida (27) Obama +4
Arizona (10) McCain +4
Montana (3) McCain +4
Ohio (20) Obama +6
Colorado (9) Obama +7
Virginia (13) Obama +7
Nevada (5) Obama +7
New Mexico (5) Obama +9
Pennsylvania (5) Obama +9

Last edited:
I have 3 questions, would be lovely if you could answer them for me :)

1. In your opinion, who do you feel will win?

2. What is the feeling in america as a whole on who's going to win?

3.On voting day next week, how long does it take to find who will be president?

thank you american people!

1. Obama

2. It's hard to say exactly what the feeling is in America about who is going to win, although Obama leads in the polls. So I'd say that the majority of people think Obama will win. . . . . One interesting thing about the polls is that for the most part, they are calling only those people with land-line phones. Many young people, including college students, only have cell phones and are not being counted. Because of this, the sentiment might be much more for Obama than the polls indicate.

3. Polling places have exit-polls where voters are asked who they voted for (they don't have to answer, of course.) That should give some indication shortly after voting begins, but is not that accurate. The Eastern U.S. polls close first, and that should give a pretty good indication, if there is a landslide, of an Obama victory. Could be as early as nine p.m. EST.

I've been volunteering at the local Obama campaign office (in a "swing state"). The campaign is extremely well-organized with a lot of grass-roots volunteers. . . . especially college students. If the way the campaign has been organized is any indication about how he would run the government, I'm very encouraged.

the reps are pulling shady ass tricks....how funny is it that they just announced obama's aunt was living in the states illegally? all this time and it breaks out over the weekend? give me a break

I think McCain should win, people have been brain washed about Obama! The guy is inexperienced, and when he speaks he sounds like he's not very sure of what he's saying. His ideas also are not very determined, or convincing. And let's not even talk about Biden, aside from the fact that the dude is an idiot, he didn't even want to run with Obama, as he doesn't agree with his ideas. But ofcourse you don't see that in the media.People should open their eyes and see that McCain is a true patriot, he has done so much for the country, and he's very determined. Palin is a also a great role model, especially for women, beautiful and smart. His heart is in it, but Obama's isn't. I believe that Obama just copies Martin Luther King too much, he's only in it for publicity. Jut remeber that McCain is not Bush, he doesn't evn agree with some things that Bush has done. I am not some crazy republican, I don't take any pary's side, but I am just worried that by Obama's selection as president this country will be in big trouble.

i believe this is the kind of rhetoric that will not fool the voting public this time around.

and welcome to the board, always nice to break the ice with politics.

Agreed.

I don't think you'll find too many people disputing that he's a patriot. Many people just don't really care, at least as it pertains to him being president.

1. In your opinion, who do you feel will win?

Obama. McCain has pretty much shot himself in the foot. And when I voted early on Thursday, I saw so many Obama supporters, and not very many McCain supporters.

2. What is the feeling in america as a whole on who's going to win?

I can't answer to that, since I can't speak for all Americans, but my general feeling is that Obama is going to win by a landslide.

3.On voting day next week, how long does it take to find who will be president?

Very good question. It really depends, it could take less than a day, or as much as two weeks.

There have been times when it's been pretty clear who wins the election before the polls even close as the numbers start pouring in. I think this could be one of those times.

McCain systematically destroyed his campaign over the last few weeks, and the starting moment was when he announced Palin as his VP choice. He had a very real shot at the white house and ruined it with a ridiculously negative campaign and a poor running mate.

There have been times when it's been pretty clear who wins the election before the polls even close as the numbers start pouring in. I think this could be one of those times.

McCain systematically destroyed his campaign over the last few weeks, and the starting moment was when he announced Palin as his VP choice. He had a very real shot at the white house and ruined it with a ridiculously negative campaign and a poor running mate.

Agree with this.

McCain's systematic destruction of his campaign should tell us something about his decision-making abilities, including potential Cabinet choices, and negativity (foreign policy?), i.e. in the White House? It's far better to discover this deficiency now, rather than later. And about Palin? What WAS he thinking?

peace,

Vic

Maybe he just wants some fun... I don't blame him. there's a verry high chance of him losin'. Might as well make some fun while ya can.

"Joe Curtain" Aww stop it.... NOT! :lol:

EDIT: Joe Lightbulb, Maverick, Katie Couric.... OMGLOL

mann that would really suck if the republicans scam their way to victory.. I wouldn't be shocked though!!!

Bush did it in 2000 and really 2004 too! I don't think she is fit to be the v-p, nor president. When this all over , she'll be heading back to Alaska to make some more babies.

Last edited:
This is hilarious....

McCain reacts to potential Palin Presidency

Hell, her ass should be in prison for animal cruelty, ; bothering mosses that are minding their own business. If she can do as she pleases, Michael Vic should be out too!
What the hell does a Mcpailn need a $150.000. makeover for? They would benefited better by using that money for campaign purposes. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Polling update - November 2, 2008

The polls tighten up with Obama losing a ground in the national polls and the state polls. But McCain is also losing ground in states that were once considered safe red states. South Dakota and Arkansas have now entered battleground state territory with the spread between Obama and McCain closing to less than 10 points.

National Polls

CBS News Obama +13
ABC News/Washington Post Obama +11
Gallup (Expanded) Obama +9
Gallup (Traditional) Obama +8
CNN/Opinion Research Obama +7
Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby Obama +6
Pew Research Obama +6
Diageo/Hotline Obama +5
Rasmussen Obama +5
IBD/TIPP Obama +2
AVERAGE Obama +7.5

Electoral College
Obama 353
McCain 185

Battleground States
Missouri (11) McCain +1
North Carolina (15) Obama +1
Indiana (11) McCain +1
Georgia (15) McCain +4
Florida (27) Obama +4
Arizona (10) McCain +4
Montana (3) McCain +4
Ohio (20) Obama +5
Virginia (13) Obama +5
Colorado (9) Obama +6
Nevada (5) Obama +6
New Mexico (5) Obama +8
Pennsylvania (5) Obama +8
South Dakota (5) McCain +9
Arkansas (5) McCain +9

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get direct updates on election day to my cell phone.. I'll be working and I want to keep tabs on each state as it happens and is counted..

I just want to share this because it moved me. There is a lot of truth in it.

The Christian Science Monitor

My wife made me canvas for Obama; here's what I learned
This election is not about major policies. It's about hope.
By Jonathan Curley
from the November 3, 2008 edition

Charlotte, N.C. - There has been a lot of speculation that Barack Obama might win the election due to his better "ground game" and superior campaign organization.

I had the chance to view that organization up close this month when I canvassed for him. I'm not sure I learned much about his chances, but I learned a lot about myself and about this election.

Let me make it clear: I'm pretty conservative. I grew up in the suburbs. I voted for George H.W. Bush twice, and his son once. I was disappointed when Bill Clinton won, and disappointed he couldn't run again.

I encouraged my son to join the military. I was proud of him in Afghanistan, and happy when he came home, and angry when he was recalled because of the invasion of Iraq. I'm white, 55, I live in the South and I'm definitely going to get a bigger tax bill if Obama wins.

I am the dreaded swing voter.

So you can imagine my surprise when my wife suggested we spend a Saturday morning canvassing for Obama. I have never canvassed for any candidate. But I did, of course, what most middle-aged married men do: what I was told.

At the Obama headquarters, we stood in a group to receive our instructions. I wasn't the oldest, but close, and the youngest was maybe in high school. I watched a campaign organizer match up a young black man who looked to be college age with a white guy about my age to canvas together. It should not have been a big thing, but the beauty of the image did not escape me.

Instead of walking the tree-lined streets near our home, my wife and I were instructed to canvass a housing project. A middle-aged white couple with clipboards could not look more out of place in this predominantly black neighborhood.

We knocked on doors and voices from behind carefully locked doors shouted, "Who is it?"

"We're from the Obama campaign," we'd answer. And just like that doors opened and folks with wide smiles came out on the porch to talk.

Grandmothers kept one hand on their grandchildren and made sure they had all the information they needed for their son or daughter to vote for the first time.

Young people came to the door rubbing sleep from their eyes to find out where they could vote early, to make sure their vote got counted.

We knocked on every door we could find and checked off every name on our list. We did our job, but Obama may not have been the one who got the most out of the day's work.

I learned in just those three hours that this election is not about what we think of as the "big things."

It's not about taxes. I'm pretty sure mine are going to go up no matter who is elected.

It's not about foreign policy. I think we'll figure out a way to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan no matter which party controls the White House, mostly because the people who live there don't want us there anymore.

I don't see either of the candidates as having all the answers.

I've learned that this election is about the heart of America. It's about the young people who are losing hope and the old people who have been forgotten. It's about those who have worked all their lives and never fully realized the promise of America, but see that promise for their grandchildren in Barack Obama. The poor see a chance, when they often have few. I saw hope in the eyes and faces in those doorways.

My wife and I went out last weekend to knock on more doors. But this time, not because it was her idea. I don't know what it's going to do for the Obama campaign, but it's doing a lot for me.

Jonathan Curley is a banker. He voted for George H.W. Bush twice and George W. Bush once.

Back