US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

damn y'all i was listening to Mike's HIStory (original) and it brought a huge smile on my face "everyday create ur history.." Mike did it right it was the RIGHT lyric cuz it said SO much and has SO much meaning now! and the song itself is just :)....OBAMA 08 and BEYOND!

now that he has the presidency, it's time for obama to get down to serious work. let's face it, he won because he represented hope and at this time that the u.s. economy is is shambles,it will take more than hard work for obama to even bring on positive changes.

everyone will be looking up to him for results and i could just imagine this herculean task he is expected to do. surely it will not be a walk in the park but like all the americans who voted for him, i am happy that he won and i wish himnothing but the the very best!

now that he has the presidency, it's time for obama to get down to serious work.
Now it's not. It's time for him to go on vacation. I hope he rests and enjoys himself these next couple of months. He's not the President until next year. He should take it easy until then because he's spent two years campaigning. He's done hundreds of rallies. Travelled all over the US. I bet he got about 48 hrs sleep in those 2 years, lol. I think he deserves a vacation until January 2009.

i second the motion that he deserves vacation! but i also believe that it cant be 'vacation' vacation (ya'know sipping wine while watching the sunset on some fabulous beach ). he doesnt have the luxury of time because even at this point he will begin strategizing because there is just sooo much to do (and perhaps, undo)!

his job is no ordinary job so he can't do what ordinary people normally do. but then.. maybe i am asking too much... lol

I share geminis view on this... plus it is pretty similar to just John Doe getting a new job... sometimes you have to struggle hard to find a new job, often this is marked by having not enough money to live but also still enough not to die. For many many ppl it means knocking on many doors, running endless miles, shaking endless hands... to hopefully finally find a job. These times btw many ppl do not end this successfully as unemployment is a huge problem and on the rising.

Then when you've finally found a new job, you need to work hard to give your boss the needed faith you're able to do what you're supposed to do and that there's hardly someone better to find out there for this job. When you've done that... and that's usually over here in germany more than the first six months in a new job... then you can go and ask for some first vacation. not saying you get those vacation always though.

I could imagine Barack Obama will handle it pretty much like that. Maybe taking two or three days off for Christmas... but I don't think it will be more. I'd wish him vacations but I don't see him going for some!

Last edited:
^ yeh well, he's got some work to do. Like selecting the members of his cabinet. Most President-Elects also start getting ready to implement their policies in the months before they are inaugurated so they can start getting things done on day one. But I just think Obama, Biden, McCain and Palin all deserve a rest.

Last edited:
This is somewhat related. But in Colorado, Jared Polis won the second congressional seat in his district. As some may know, he is the first openly gay congressman ever to be elected. He's partner, pictured here with him on his right is Marlon Reis, and as you can guess from the last name, that's my brother. Thought it would be cool to share and also related and a big deal in itself.

Nov 5, 2008 23:02 | Updated Nov 6, 2008 7:35 Record no. of Jews elected to Congress

By ALLISON HOFFMAN, JPOST

showInitialOdiogoReadNowFrame ('1002,1003,1005,1004,1006,1484,1560,1561,1562,1563', '0', 290, 0);Talkbacks for this article: 3

Democrats strengthened their majorities in both houses of Congress in Tuesday's US elections, picking up five more seats in the Senate and adding at least 18 more seats in the House of Representatives.
Satellite
US Rep.-elect Jared Polis, left, raises the hand of his partner Marlon Reis during a Democratic victory party in Denver.
Photo: AP

Slideshow: Pictures of the week

The next session of Congress will include 45 Jewish lawmakers, a new record, after Democrats Alan Grayson of Florida and John Adler of New Jersey took two House seats from the Republican column.
Jared Polis, also a Democrat, was widely expected to win his Colorado House seat to match the previous record, set in the 2006 elections.
The House will have 32 Jewish members. Only the class of 1990 had more Jewish members - 34 - but there were fewer Jewish senators at the time.
The next Senate will have 13 Jewish members, the same as the previous session, despite a toss-up race in Minnesota, where both Republican incumbent Norm Coleman and his Democratic challenger, comedian Al Franken, are Jewish. Democrats said they were disappointed not to have an even larger record after losing several close races - including in Alaska, where polls showed state legislator Ethan Berkowitz mounting a strong challenge for a Republican seat in vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin's home state - but said they were satisfied with the outcome.

advertisement.gif
var adsonar_placementId=1392266; var adsonar_pid=952767; var adsonar_ps=10912223; var adsonar_zw=200; var adsonar_zh=200; var adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';

"It's a lot to ask - we had an incredible night with Obama, we had the other pickups in the House and Senate and we should be very grateful," said Ira Forman, executive direction of the National Jewish Democratic Council.
The reinforced Democratic majorities in both chambers assure President-elect Barack Obama a stronger hand in enacting his agenda of change.
The public's expectations were high that Democrats in Congress will help Obama follow through on campaign promises to end the long-running war in Iraq and fix the financial ills that many blame on Bush and his party.
Democrats increased their count in the 100-seat upper house to at least 56. They currently have a 51-49 majority, including two independents who vote in their caucus.
Three Senate races with Republican incumbents remained undecided, among them the contentious reelection bid by 84-year-old Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska, the longest-serving Senate Republican, who was convicted last month of lying on Senate forms to hide favors he received from a contractor.
Races in Georgia, Oregon and Minnesota were too close to call. The Associated Press called the Senate race in Minnesota prematurely. Republican Sen. Norm Coleman finished ahead of Democrat Al Franken, the former Saturday Night Live comedian, in the final vote count, but Coleman's 571-vote margin falls within the state's mandatory recount law.
Despite the strong showing, Democrats appeared to be falling short of their goal of taking 60 Senate seats. A 60-40 majority would make it nearly impossible for the opposition to use procedural maneuvers to block Democratic proposals from coming to a vote.
In the lower chamber, the House of Representatives, the Democrats expanded their majority by dominating the Northeast and ousting Republicans in every region. The Democrats added at least 18 seats to the 30 they took from Republicans in 2006. Fewer than 10 races remained undecided.
Republicans were on track for their smallest numbers since 1994, the year the so-called Republican Revolution retook the House for the first time in 40 years.
The Democratic edge in the current Congress is 235-199 with one vacancy in a formerly Democratic seat. Two Louisiana seats, one Democratic and one Republican, won't be decided until December because hurricanes postponed their primaries until Tuesday.
"The American people have called for a new direction. They have called for change in America," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
It was the first time in more than 75 years that Democrats were on track for big House gains in back-to-back elections.
"This will be a wave upon a wave," Pelosi said.
House Republicans were licking their wounds and hoping to increase their numbers in the 2010 election.
"We sort of got through this, we think, a little bit better than some people might have expected," said Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, the head of the Republican House campaign committee. "Our worst days are behind us," he added.
The Democratic victories in the Senate included an upset in North Carolina by Democratic state legislator Kay Hagan, who unseated Sen. Elizabeth Dole, one of the biggest names in the Republican Party and wife of Bob Dole, the party's 1996 presidential nominee. Elizabeth Dole, a former Cabinet secretary in two Republican administrations, had been criticized for spending little time in recent years in her home state.
In Virginia, former Democratic Gov. Mark Warner breezed to victory over another former governor, Republican Jim Gilmore, in the race to replace retiring five-term Republican Sen. John W. Warner. The two Warners are not related.
In the West, two Udalls were elected to the Senate. In Colorado, Mark Udall, son of the late Arizona Rep. Morris "Mo" Udall, took the seat vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Wayne Allard. His cousin, Tom Udall, whose father Stewart Udall was Interior Secretary in the Kennedy administration, took the New Mexico Senate seat vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Pete Domenici.
In New Hampshire, Republican Sen. John Sununu lost to Democrat Jeanne Shaheen in a rematch that saw Shaheen referring to Sununu as Bush's "evil twin." Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, attributed the party's gains to Obama's coattails. "It's been a really good night," Reid told The Associated Press. "Obama ran a terrific campaign, he inspired millions of people," he said. According to other preliminary counts, 12 Democrats retained their seats and 14 Republicans were reelected or won seats vacated by retiring Republicans. Among the Republican survivors was Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who outpolled millionaire businessman Bruce Lunsford to retain his seat. McConnell, the Senate minority leader, is a master strategist and could be a thorn in the side of the Democrats

^ That's awesome. A bit of a claim to fame there. Well done.

I'd also like to report that the electoral vote from Nebraska's 2nd congressional district is projected to go to Obama. Nebraska and Maine are the only state to split their electoral votes. The electoral vote count is now Obama 365 - McCain 162 with Missouri the only state too close to call. With 11 electoral votes, Missouri could put Obama over 375 electoral votes, a number which which is generally considered a landslide in the electoral college. But at the moment McCain leads in Missouri by 6,000 votes. Refer to the very first post of this thread to see the current state of the electoral map and the popular vote.

Also, regarding the Senate elections, as you may know the Senate race in Minnesota is a dead heat. There are 236 separating Republican Norm Coleman and Democrat Al Franken with Coleman in the lead. This means the race is headed for an automatic recount but some are doubting it will be that simple. The fate of this race could end up in the courts or in the hands of the US Senate. With the majority being Democrats, Franken would likely win the vote if it was held in the Senate. A Senate vote seems to be the envisioned outcome according to Minnesota law officials.

Last edited:
Ah, I finally get to post in this thread again. I didn't have internet access on election night but I did stay up watching the coverage. I'm in England at the moment, so I was up the whole night. It's funny; I actualy didn't feel that tired after 2 or 3 hours sleep. I was just so excited to be able to witness the moments. I'm so happy for the Obama family, America and the world. I definitely feel the right person won and Obama is an inspiration to all.

Senate Elections 2008 Update

Recent-convict, Republican Ted Stevens of Alaska, has lost his Senate seat to Democrat Mark Begich. Begich edged out in the close race with 3,724 votes ahead of Stevens.

The Minnesota Senate Election is still too close to call with only a couple of hundred votes separating Republican Norm Coleman and Democrat Al Franken. The Georgia Senate Election will also not be called until a run-off election is held in December.

Currently, the 111th U.S. Senate, set to convene on January 3 2009, consists of 58 Democratic seats (2 of which are Independents caucusing with the Democrats) and 40 Republican seats with 2 seats still to be decided. If the Democrats win both of those 2 undecided seats they will have what is called a "super majority". With 60 seats they will be able to pass anything through without opposition.

Another election update, this time to do with the Presidential election.

Missouri has finally been called for McCain. Although this doesn't effect the outcome election it's still nice to know to those interested. Another interesting note is that with Missouri going to McCain, the state has lost it's status as bellwether state (a state that picks the winner). Up until now, Missouri has voted for the Presidential candidate that ended up winning the election in every Presidential Election since 1904.

Every state has now been projected for either candidate so my electoral map in post #1 of this thread is now complete. This is just a projection as no states have officially been won be either candidate until the electorates place their votes on December 15. However, don't expect the electoral map to change. The official electoral college vote on December 15 is more of a formality and electorates serve as a representations of the popular vote in each state. The electoral map projection is based on the popular vote results from each state so you can bet it wont change after the electorates cast their votes.

Just read your post WBSS, I think thats awesome news, well done to your brothers partner, your brother must be so proud of him.
Been reading Barack Obama's book 'Dreams from my Father'. Its a really interesting book about his roots and his upbringing. At one point he was in Chicago in his early 20's when they had just elected their first black mayor, soon after he was having his hair cut and the black barber was saying just how excited he was that this had happened, he couldn't get to sleep that night and the next day just felt so beautiful. This book was published in '95, way before Barack's run for the presidancy. When I read that it gave me goosebumps because he would have had no idea that he himself would have the exact same effect, not just for people in one city, but accross the whole of America. Awesome.
The book is an interesting read

Senate Elections 2008 update

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I thought this would be better than starting a whole new thread.

In Minnesota, Al Franken-D has taken the lead for the first time over the incumbent Senator Norm Coleman-R in the still undecided Senate election. The latest figure is that Franken is ahead by 252 votes as the votes continue to be recounted.

Associated Press said:
Franken opens first lead in Minn. Senate race

By BRIAN BAKST – 15 hours ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Democrat Al Franken edged ahead of Republican incumbent Norm Coleman on Friday for the first time in Minnesota's long-running U.S. Senate recount.

Franken opened up a slight lead on the fourth day of a state Canvassing Board meeting to decide the fate of hundreds of disputed ballots.

The change was notable because Coleman led Franken in election night returns and also held a 188-vote lead before the board took up challenged ballots. But its significance was limited, with the possibility the lead could change again before the long recount ends.

The board had several hundred remaining challenges to resolve, with a goal of doing so by Friday. Both Coleman and Franken are also waiting to see how much they gain from some 5,000 challenges that they withdrew, and the board won't allocate those until Monday.

The outcome of the recount also depends on an estimated 1,600 absentee ballots that were improperly rejected. The state Supreme Court ruled Thursday that those ballots must be counted, and set a Dec. 31 deadline for counties to work with the candidates to identify and count them.

The high court ruling virtually guaranteed that the recount would sprawl into the new year. With Congress set to convene Jan. 6, Gov. Tim Pawlenty said his staff was researching the possibility of a temporary appointment.

But Pawlenty said it was unlikely he would do so because he expected the recount would be resolved by then.

The ballot that put Franken in the lead came from Rochester, where a voter's mark for Franken filled not just his oval but a good chunk of territory next to it. A challenge from the Coleman campaign was rejected.

Before the five-member canvassing board began reviewing challenges Friday, it rejected a request from the Coleman campaign to disqualify hundreds of ballots that the campaign argued were duplicates and had been counted twice.

G. Barry Anderson, a Supreme Court justice serving on the board, said the issue was not the board's to decide.

"While I think there is a serious issue here, the location, extent and remedy lie elsewhere," Anderson said.

Oh cool. I was actually thinking of bumping this thread (or the other one) back up in January next year, around the inauguration.

2008 Senate Elections Update

Franken wins recount

The recount for the results of the 2008 Senate election in Minnesota was concluded with Democrat Al Franken 225 votes ahead of incumbent Republican Norm Coleman. Coleman is challenging the results of the recount and asking for a few hundred absentee ballots to be recounted. If the Supreme Court hears his case another recount could take place. But with the first recount having taken so long, and with the US Senate's urgency to seat Franken, another recount is unlikely.

President-elect Transition Update

Obama arrives in Washington; Richardson withdraws nom for Sec of Commerce

In other US political news, President-elect Barack Obama has arrived in Washington D.C. for his inauguration ceremonies which will take place from January 17 to 21. The actual inauguration will take place on January 20. Barack Obama still has some work to do before he is sworn in, including selecting a Secretary of Commerce nominee to replace Governor Bill Richardson who withdrew his name from nomination for the position as a result of an ongoing investigation into improper business dealings in the state of New Mexico.

Oh, so the balls(parties lol) start around Jan 17? I know an uncle and a few more relatives going up there (D.C) for the parade; I'm so jealous. Used to live up in MD actually. But I'll happily watch the event on TV :D

111th United States Congress to be seated today

But Burris wont be joining them

Roland Burris, the Democrat from Illinois selected by Governor Blagojevich to replace Barack Obama in the Senate has been turned down by the leaders of the Senate and wont be convening with them today for the first seating of the 111th US congress. Al Franken, the Senator-elect from Minnesota also is not expected to be at seated today despite the Democrats' urgency to seat him.

Bipartisan support for Obama's stimulus package

President-elect Barack Obama and congressional leaders met to agree upon a stimulus package for a short-term economic recovery plan.

The president-elect is proposing a $775 billion, two-year economic stimulus package that includes about $300 billion in tax cuts or credits, with a special emphasis on lower and middle-income earners.

The plan got an important boost from Republicans, who lauded the tax cuts. "There's likely to be widespread enthusiasm for that portion of it," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

Both Democratic and Republican members of congress indicate that the stimulus package will pass legislation quickly once Barack Obama and the 111th US congress are sworn in to office.

Last edited:
Back