US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

McCain just can't win. lol. Even though Palin exceeded expetations and recieve a lot of praise for her debate performance, the polls that have come in since the debate don't look good for the McCain/Palin ticket. They've now lost Missouri. Obama is up by .3 point on average in the Missouri polls. Which is pretty much a tie. McCain was up 2+ points in Missouri before the debate. Obama's also gone up in North Carolina, Ohio and Florida since the debate. All states which were, until recently, McCain's. Even when Palin does well McCain's number continue to fall in the polls. Here is the current electoral map based on numbers from RealClearPolitics.com and Electoral-Vote.com....

electoralcollegepre-debate2small.jpg

Larger version

This is truly amazing!!!! You can actually see each state change, (swing state). Come November 4th, it will be all blue . :)

Last edited:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with McCain's robotic like moves? I was watching the debate and he was all shiny looking so that crossed with his robotic moves kept making me think of a life size wax model :ermm:
I know that's superficial and has nothing to do with making a good or bad candidate... but seriously he could be a robot :ermm:

Am I the only one getting annoyed with McCain's robotic like moves? I was watching the debate and he was all shiny looking so that crossed with his robotic moves kept making me think of a life size wax model :ermm:
I know that's superficial and has nothing to do with making a good or bad candidate... but seriously he could be a robot :ermm:

yes, i noticed it too. he was beathing hard and seemed angry as well.

Like they said on CNN he really showed his age. Too me it looked like he was moving so slowly and I don't know. I mean it has nothing to do with anything like you said but it did stand out to me as well.

oh good grief :rofl:

I was getting tired of him calling everyone "my friends"
Gee!! mix it up a bit pleaaaseee :banghead

slightly off-topic but the economic crisis in the US & UK doesn't appear to be having an impact on Australia like I thought it would :eek:

Mr Rudd pointed to a report released overnight by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) which forecast the Australian economy to grow by 2.5 per cent in 2008 and 2.2 per cent in 2009.
The forecast is a significant reduction on the 4.2 per cent growth experienced in 2007.
The IMF biannual World Economic Outlook revised down its July forecasts for global economic growth to 3.9 per cent in 2008 and 3.0 per cent in 2009, the slowest pace since 2002.
The report also suggested that the most advanced economies in the world were "already in or close to recession".
But Mr Rudd said the forecasts supported the notion that the Australian economy was better-placed than those of other countries.
"What does it say about the most advanced economies in the world in 2009 - basically close to recession or in recession. What does it say about Australia - a growth number with a two in front of it."
"That represents a fundamental difference," he said.

"My job is to do everything possible, everything decisive available to government to maintain this difference between our circumstances and those of the United States and elsewhere."
Mr Rudd said he had a responsibility to speak objectively about the problems facing Australia and its strengths.
"People running around throwing their hands in the air, talking about nightmares, is not leadership, that's commentary. And I'm not in the business of commentary."
"The nation requires plain talking, straight talking about the problems we face and the strengths we've got, and that's what I intend to keep doing."

Link

Good on ya Ruddy! I have been seriously worried cause we tend to follow most US trends or UK trends but in this situation... clearly not.

oh geez :rofl: he's got him down pat :rofl:

"I'm going to offer your campaign a bail out package... ah basically you quit now and i'll spare you the embaressment" :rofl:

I was wondering if anyone noticed McCain's strange body language during this week's debate. He seemed to have his back to the camera a lot of times too. It felt like he had his back on me the viewers. I was talking to a friend about this body language and she felt he had his back to Obama a lot and kept looking down over his shoulder at him. I'm sure some of his movements are because of the permanent injuries he has from years of torture during the Vietnam war but I'd still say his body language is not positive and when he left early that seemed to cement that impression for me. I'm sure others felt that way too.

On another note, the videos aren't showing up for me right now. I'm hoping it 's just the computer I'm using at this moment.

I was wondering if anyone noticed McCain's strange body language during this week's debate. He seemed to have his back to the camera a lot of times too. It felt like he had his back on me the viewers. I was talking to a friend about this body language and she felt he had his back to Obama a lot and kept looking down over his shoulder at him. I'm sure some of his movements are because of the permanent injuries he has from years of torture during the Vietnam war but I'd still say his body language is not positive and when he left early that seemed to cement that impression for me. I'm sure others felt that way too.

On another note, the videos aren't showing up for me right now. I'm hoping it 's just the computer I'm using at this moment.

I've noticed that too :mello:
I'd say he has a serious health problem but it's probably not a 'strong candidates' image to admitt. *shrugs*

From my latest blog:

Once upon a time in America - we went to war. We fought in a country called Vietnam. For those of you too young to know, Vietnam was a war that had no winners or losers...
From Wikipedia:
The United States entered the war to prevent a communist takeover of South Vietnam as part of a wider strategy called containment. Military advisors were sent beginning in 1950. U.S. involvement escalated in the early 1960s and combat units were deployed beginning in 1965. Involvement peaked in 1968 at the time of the Tet Offensive. Under a policy called Vietnamization, U.S. forces withdrew as South Vietnamese troops were trained and armed. Despite a peace treaty signed by all parties in January 1973, fighting continued. In response to the anti-war movement, the U.S. Congress passed the Case-Church Amendment in June 1973 prohibiting further U.S. military intervention. In April 1975, North Vietnam captured Saigon. North and South Vietnam were reunified the following year.
A man named William Ayers has been in the news lately. Back in 1964, he wasn't the only one who was young and angry during this time period. When you see horrible killing and mutilations, you are bound to be angry. Yes, William Ayers was angry. He was angry at an unjust war being fought. He saw pictures of women and babies being killed. He wanted that war to stop. He used every single device available to him to try to stop it.

It is now 50 years later. William Ayers is now a 64 year old man. He is a Professor of Education now at the University of Chicago. He is now an old man.

To try to equate the William Ayers of 1964 to the William Ayers of 2008 is being very dishonest and unfair. From wikipedia - "Ayers was asked in a January 2004 interview, "How do you feel about what you did? Would you do it again under similar circumstances?" He replied:[24] "I've thought about this a lot. Being almost 60, it's impossible to not have lots and lots of regrets about lots and lots of things, but the question of did we do something that was horrendous, awful? ... I don't think so. I think what we did was to respond to a situation that was unconscionable." On September 9, 2008, journalist Jake Tapper reported on the comic strip in Bill Ayers's blog explaining the soundbite: "The one thing I don't regret is opposing the war in Vietnam with every ounce of my being.... When I say, 'We didn't do enough,' a lot of people rush to think, 'That must mean, "We didn't bomb enough shit."' But that's not the point at all. It's not a tactical statement, it's an obvious political and ethical statement. In this context, 'we' means 'everyone.'"[25][26]"

I APPLAUD what William Ayers, and COUNTLESS OTHERS did during the 1960's to STOP the Vietnam War. In MY eyes, the man is a hero.

I lost my cousin to the Vietnam War. He led a troop of fellow Green Berets into a forest laden with Agent Orange. He contracted a very rare form of cancer years later because of exposure to that. If William Ayers had succeeded, maybe my cousin wouldn't have had to fight there in the first place.

I will ALWAYS support what William Ayers and others did. They stood up to the powers that be to fight for something that was plainly WRONG.

ALSO, peaceful demonstration didn't work....look at what happened to those poor students at Kent State:

The Kent State shootings, also known as the May 4 massacre or Kent State massacre,[2][3][4] occurred at Kent State University in the city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of students by members of the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. Four students were killed and nine others were wounded, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.[5]

Some of the students who were shot had been protesting against the American invasion of Cambodia, which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. However, other students who were shot had merely been walking nearby or observing the protest from a distance.[6][7]

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of eight million students, and the event further divided the country, at this already socially contentious time, along political lines.
The Kent State shootings, also known as the May 4 massacre or Kent State massacre,[2][3][4] occurred at Kent State University in the city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of students by members of the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. Four students were killed and nine others were wounded, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.[5]

Some of the students who were shot had been protesting against the American invasion of Cambodia, which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. However, other students who were shot had merely been walking nearby or observing the protest from a distance.[6][7]

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of eight million students, and the event further divided the country, at this already socially contentious time, along political lines.

Hell, I remember that. I remember one day my Dad bringing me to his state college....and me seeing black coffins strewn out in the front lawn, with white crosses painted on them. There were four coffins.

I will close this blog off with the following thought, which still rings true, even today!

* Fanaticism consists in redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim.

* Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
o This famous statement has produced many paraphrases and variants:
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.
Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them.

i just saw a clip on CNN with the following conversation between McCain and a supporter:

Woman: "I don't trust Obama, I have read about him. He's an Arab."

McCain: "No, ma'am. He's a decent, family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with (him) on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign is all about."

f_laugh.gif
Ayrabs are now indecent family folk.

f_grr.gif

Woman: "I don't trust Obama, I have read about him. He's an Arab."

McCain: "No, ma'am. He's a decent, family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with (him) on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign is all about."

:bugeyed
Seeing how the majority of arabs live in swing states, I'm sure this is what McCain needs.

Damn fool...

heh Obama had the Arab vote in the bag when he decided to keep 'Hussein' as his middle name lol

the dodgy thing is he won't acknowledge that "Barack" is an Arabic name LOL it means "blessed".

what the heck... in the first debate he wouldn't make eye contact with Obama and now he wont shake hands. I'm sorry but that just makes him look rude. If he was president and didn't shake our PMs hand I'd be disgusted

I wish this stupid thing would end already so I can stop hearing about it, lol. Obama is going to win, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about on that front. Then we'll see if he can live up to his hype.

Back