US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

McCain one ups Gore....

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g1MSY3Bgt7YC5XHmxAdt9VkOlvhwD937S7SG1

Adviser says McCain helped create the BlackBerry
49 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP) — Move over, Al Gore. You may lay claim to the Internet, but John McCain helped create the BlackBerry.

At least that's the contention of a top McCain policy adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin. Waving his BlackBerry personal digital assistant and citing McCain's work as a senator, he told reporters Tuesday, "You're looking at the miracle that John McCain helped create."

McCain has acknowledged that he doesn't know how to use a computer and can't send e-mail, one of the BlackBerry's prime functions.

Holtz-Eakin's argument is similar to one advanced by Gore, the Democratic presidential nominee in 2000. Gore once boasted about "taking the initiative to create the Internet" through technological and educational policies. He later was mocked for claiming to have invented the Internet, although he never made such a claim.

Holtz-Eakin, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, said McCain's service on and leadership of the Senate Commerce Committee put him at the intersection of a number of economic interests, including the telecommunications industry.

The Arizona senator's handling of regulation and deregulation of that industry in particular left him with the skills to help revive the economy amid a mortgage crisis, an energy crisis and a Wall Street meltdown, the adviser said.

"He can and has the judgment to put people in place with technical expertise, with the history of experience in the areas necessary, that we're going to get reforms," Holtz-Eakin said.

McCain one ups Gore....

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g1MSY3Bgt7YC5XHmxAdt9VkOlvhwD937S7SG1

Adviser says McCain helped create the BlackBerry
49 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP) — Move over, Al Gore. You may lay claim to the Internet, but John McCain helped create the BlackBerry.

At least that's the contention of a top McCain policy adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin. Waving his BlackBerry personal digital assistant and citing McCain's work as a senator, he told reporters Tuesday, "You're looking at the miracle that John McCain helped create."

McCain has acknowledged that he doesn't know how to use a computer and can't send e-mail, one of the BlackBerry's prime functions.

Holtz-Eakin's argument is similar to one advanced by Gore, the Democratic presidential nominee in 2000. Gore once boasted about "taking the initiative to create the Internet" through technological and educational policies. He later was mocked for claiming to have invented the Internet, although he never made such a claim.

Holtz-Eakin, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, said McCain's service on and leadership of the Senate Commerce Committee put him at the intersection of a number of economic interests, including the telecommunications industry.

The Arizona senator's handling of regulation and deregulation of that industry in particular left him with the skills to help revive the economy amid a mortgage crisis, an energy crisis and a Wall Street meltdown, the adviser said.

"He can and has the judgment to put people in place with technical expertise, with the history of experience in the areas necessary, that we're going to get reforms," Holtz-Eakin said.

Yeah, let's see em go all over McCain for THIS claim - just like Al Gore...heck, equal time ya know..

The race could end up being a US indictment of deep-seated RACISM...or is it?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/19/usnews/whispers/main4460984.shtml

Charges That Racism Could Doom Obama's Candidacy Are Unfair
Sep 18, 2008(US News) If Obama loses, will it be because of his race? Answering that question in the affirmative, or suggesting it may be the case, are Jack Cafferty of CNN, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, and Mahoning County, Ohio, Democrats quoted by the Youngstown Vindicator (what a wonderful name for a newspaper!). As some conservative bloggers have pointed out, this is not a good campaign tactic for Democrats: You're telling voters who are not yet on your side that you think they're racists. Contra Cafferty, there are also plenty of nonracist reasons voters might have for not voting for Obama (just as there are plenty of nonracist reasons voters might have for voting for him). Does anyone doubt that the vast majority of those who won't vote for Obama would vote for Colin Powell if he were the Republican candidate for president?

Obama is in any case not a generic black candidate; he is a well-known candidate with specific characteristics that attract some voters and repel others. Indeed, the 2004 convention speech that introduced him to voters nationally was anything but a generic black appeal: It emphasized what all Americans have in common. The fact that Obama won the Democratic nomination and has been in the lead in most general election polls since last spring shows that almost all American voters are willing to give him a hearing. Yes, there are some voters who won't vote for him because of race, just as there are some voters who won't vote for John McCain because he is 72 years old. But spreading the meme that the only reason Obama can lose is because of voters' racism strikes me as a libel on the American people.

Electoral college polling update:

Polls aren't 100% accurate or indicative of what will actually happen on election day. But they are interesting none-the-less.

RealClearPolitics.com is great for the latest updates on the electoral college. They collect numbers from the most popular polls. It's very comprehensive. Check it out from time to time to stay up to date.

According to RealClearPolitics, based on numbers from the most recent popular polls, the electoral college estimate has gone from being 14 electoral votes in McCain's favour to 13 votes in Obama's favour. This is due to Florida changing its status from leaning red to a toss-up state.

McCain has dropped a lot in Florida polls. RCP have him 2.8 points ahead, which is an average of the numbers they've collected from a range of polls. He still has a decent 5 point lead according to Fox News/Rasmussen, but the Miami Herald have him down to just 2 points in front and Sun-Sentinel just 1 point. CNN are calling Florida a tie. Florida is a big state with 27 electoral votes. It went to Bush in the previous two elections. Although some will debate that fact in regards to the 2000 election.

Obama is doing well overall in the toss-up states. He is up by an average of 2.5 points in Colorado, which went to Bush in the last two elections. He's got a slight lead in states that went to Democrats in the previous two elections; Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

McCain has the lead in some toss-up states as well. He's got a slight lead of 1.6 points in Ohio, which went to Bush in the last two elections. He's barely got the lead in Nevada. Just one point ahead of Obama. Nevada went to Bush in the last two elections. He's also got slight leads in toss-up states that went to Republicans in the previous two elections; Virginia, Indiana and, as previously mentioned, Florida.

New Hampshire went to Kerry in 2004 but to Bush in 2000. Obama has a 3.3 lead. It is close to changing its status to leaning Obama.

Overall, RCP is giving Obama 202 electoral votes and 189 to McCain. But if you were to change the status of the toss-up states to learning to however has the lead, no matter how slight it is, Obama would have 273 electoral votes and McCain would have 265. 270 electoral votes are needed to win the election. So if nothing changes from now until the election, and if the polls are correct, Obama is projected to win the election. So a betting man might put his money on Obama but realistically, the polls aren't 100% accurate or indicative of what will happen on election day. But none-the-less, the poll numbers are interesting.

Update:

Latest polls show Obama's numbers have jumped in Michigan. Many are now calling Michigan for Obama. RealClearPolitics has changed Michigan's status from toss-up to leaning Obama. That puts Obama 30 EVs ahead of McCain in the electoral college estimate. The projected electoral votes are 219 (Obama) to 189 (McCain).

Random person's response to Wall Street crisis.
object width="425" height="344">

Well, not the best way to BUMP a thread but, whatever. Just felt the need to post it. SO basically, how to some of you guys feel about this situation?

Last edited:
^ girlie I know what you're talking about and I thought President Bill Clinton answered this topic fantastically on the View the other day.
It's a shame he couldn't have run again cause what the states really need now is a president who has a strong point in economics, rather than these other two, who are good candidates in their own defense... but really not that fantastic in regards to economics. I can tell this purely by listening to their responses in regards to any questions related to money.

If I could find a transcript from the View I'd post it cause he and Whoopi made some excellent points.

Whoopi was saying the money should go to the american people who need it instead

umm LJ just to clear your mind, THAT IS NOT ME. :lol: U know that right? Anyway, I agree. Just a bunch of gangsters stealing from us again.

McCain is my senator.. And I can tell you that his eyes have been SO fixated on the 'White House' he's forgotten about his duties here.. Now doesn't that make you wonder what will he 'forget' IF he makes it there??? What promises will be broken when if he reaches his goal and can fixate on something else..

There is very little reason to trust McCain.. I don't, and he's my senator..

The amount of racial prejudice surrounding this election is mind-blowing.

Just today I was standing in line at the grocery store and these two ladies behind me based their decision on the fact that Obama is biracial. They were saying a lot of ish like no one else was around listening. I don't even want to post what they said, way too offensive. I was ready to throw my gallon of milk at them. Point being, there's a lot of close-minded people and I really don't know what to expect come November.

^ that's crazy :no:

I never witness anything like that here. We had a woman running for the seat for our area (Julia Gillard) and I was expecting to hear a lot of "oh she's a sheila what would she know?" by a lot of blokes... instead I was hearing things like "That Gillard is alright, seems to have her head screwed on right, makes more sense to me than that other fella" etc etc Infact the only bad thing I heard was "but she doesn't have kids so how is she going to relate to my family issues, to which I heard a guy respond... "well she has parents doesn't she? she would have grown up in a family? she has siblings so..."

It just fascinates me that there is a breed of people who will vote in regards to something as superficial as skin colour or gender.

This stuff is gettin' deep. Check it out:

McCain, Obama call for bipartisan work on bailout

By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer 51 minutes ago

NEW YORK - John McCain expressed confidence Thursday that Congress and the Bush administration can reach consensus before markets open Monday on a $700 billion bailout plan to rescue financial institutions from crippling debt.

His Democratic rival, Barack Obama, also called for prompt bipartisan action.

McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, told the Clinton Global Initiative in New York that it's often difficult to act quickly and wisely. But he said that is what's required now to come up with a plan that can achieve bipartisan support in the House and Senate.

"Time is short and doing nothing is not an option," McCain said. He headed to Washington after his speech.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, speaking to the same audience by satellite later in the morning, agreed that it was imperative to act now in a bipartisan manner.

"Now is the time to come together, Democrats and Republicans, in the spirit of cooperation on behalf of the American people," Obama said.

But Obama made clear that his schedule this week included the first presidential debate. He said he would be in Mississippi on Friday for the debate with McCain after joining legislators in Washington on Thursday. McCain has called for postponing the debate, set to be on foreign policy issues, if no deal has been reached on the bailout by then.

Both presidential candidates received high praise from former President Bill Clinton.

Clinton praised McCain on the environment: "When most people in his party had been thinking that global warming was overstated ... he decided to look into it."

In lauding Obama, Clinton referred to a conversation the two men had earlier this month at Clinton's Harlem office.

"Eighty percent of the conversation had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the responsibilities of the next president for the welfare of the American people and the future of the world," Clinton said.

The candidates were equally gracious to Clinton, thanking him for his work with the initiative.

Wall St bailout bogged down in blame game

• Bailout talks have stalled after promising start
  • Political rivals are bickering
  • Earlier, lawmakers announced a fundamental agreement

TALKS on the historic multi-billion dollar deal to rescue Wall Street and prop up the world's biggest economy have stalled, just hours after US legislators announced agreement over an in-principle plan.
Negotiations broke down amid bickering between Democrats and Republicans and accusations of political posturing by Republican presidential candidate John McCain.
Earlier today, US lawmakers appeared close to a final agreement on the $US700 billion ($840 billion) bailout to save the US financial system,.
But things spun off course during an emergency White House meeting between Congressional leaders and US President George W. Bush, according to lawmakers.
Before the meeting, which included the two presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain, a compromise bipartisan deal seemed imminent.
But afterwards, Congressional leaders said an agreement could take until the weekend.
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said, "The deal is not finalised ... There's a commitment to get something done, nobody's happy about it."
After the meeting Senator Obama said he was confident an agreement would be reached, but was worried political point scoring could slow the process.

"One of the concerns that I have had over the last several days is that when you start to inject presidential politics into delicate negotiations, then you can actually create more problems rather than less,'' he told CNN.

"It is amazing how much you can get done when the cameras are not on and nobody is looking to get credit or allocate blame.''

A late-night discussion held in a bid to get the deal back on track also failed to reach an agreement. Republican Spencer Bachus, was his party's sole representative at the late-night talks attended by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. Senator Bachus introduced an alternative plan which called for an independent entity to dispose of bad assets, and a cut in capital gains tax.

Talks will resume later tonight (AEST).

more....

this stuff is getting scary and not just for US citizens.... if they cock this up we can end up in a depression

In other news... another article that made me go :mello:

Obama figure hung from tree in racist stunt

By Geoff Elliot
September 26, 2008 01:49am

• Racists take aim at Barack Obama as camapign heats up
  • Cut-out figure hung from tree with fishing line
  • Racist leaflets, photos also circulating

0,,6269639,00.jpg

SIGNS of strength in the polls for Barack Obama yesterday were tempered by news of sickening racist taunts aimed at the Illinois senator, including a likeness of him found hanging from a tree at a university in Oregon.

Along with the cut-out of Senator Obama, hanging on fishing line at the Quaker-founded George Fox University outside Portland, there was graffiti alluding to "Act 6" - a reference to black recipients of the scholarship programs at the university, The Australian reports.
And in New Jersey, leaflets started appearing with darkened photos of Senator Obama asking, "Do you want a black president?", and saying that countries run by blacks were "the most unstable in the world".
One of the photos is doctored, featuring Senator Obama with a long beard and turban.
The racist taunts, while isolated, could be a harbinger of an escalating fear campaign.

Anette Foglio, whose son attends George Fox University as part of a scholarship program, was stunned to learn of the racial incident in a state located in the northwest of the US and not usually associated with the nation's troubled civil rights history.
"We are not in Georgia, Mississippi or Louisiana," Ms Foglio told The Oregonian.
"We are in Oregon. We are an hour and a half outside Portland, and to have this happen is really disappointing."
It came as a Washington Post/ABC poll indicated a surge in support for Senator Obama to 52 per cent compared with 43 per cent for his Republican rival, John McCain.
Just two weeks ago, in the days immediately following the Republican national convention, the race was almost even, with Senator McCain at 49per cent and Senator Obama at 47per cent.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24404157-38198,00.html

I'm saying LJ! LOL I'm so glad I've taken an interest in this whole bailout thang. This may be one of the most important events in U.S history. Tell people, keep them eyes open.

Also, I hope we hear that debate. I mean there's a possibility it might not happen, but it still would be nice. -_-

History made again, woohoo. :sigh:

WaMu becomes biggest bank to fail in US history

By MADLEN READ, AP Business Writer 33 minutes ago

NEW YORK - As the debate over a $700 billion bank bailout rages on in Washington, one of the nation's largest banks — Washington Mutual Inc. — has collapsed under the weight of its enormous bad bets on the mortgage market.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/washington_mutual_future

*whistles*

Last edited:
oh geezz....

depression here we come... good thing the pharmacutical companies are making a profit... and if they're not ... they will now... hello depression.... hello little blue pill to chase away little blue clouds

forget the pharmas, prozac will be the hottest street drug out there. sell like hotcakes (with dissolved little blue pills).

f_smiley.gif

Dude, I still hope not... I can't afford no freakin' gun right now. :ninja:

Oh lookie here now :wild:

The debate is on; McCain agrees to participate

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain agreed to attend the first presidential debate Friday night even though Congress doesn't have a bailout deal, reversing an earlier decision to delay the event until Washington had taken action to address the crisis.

With less than 10 hours until the debate was scheduled to start, the McCain campaign announced that the Arizona senator would travel to the University of Mississippi. The campaign said that afterward McCain would return to Washington to continue working on the financial crisis.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_el_pr/candidates_debate

ALL I have to say is Obama OWNED McCain tonight. And McCain? He showed his true colours. He was condesending and was constantly talking down to Obama. And he barely even passed a glance at Obama but Obama looked at McCain head on. Obama held nothing back and backed himself up with FACTS not spun-truths like McCain tried to do, but Obama called him out! And you can just tell that McCain hates Obama, just look at how he carried himself, his body language. And the fact that McCain kept on saying "Obama doesn't understand" "He doesn't seem to understand.." etc...etc...Obama was making perfect sense! I want a president who's intelligent and who could make me feel like he/she is WAY more intelligent then I was...We haven't had that sense the Clinton years. I'm sorry but I DO NOT WANT a president or vice president for that matter whom I could "have a beer with." What kind of fucked up logic is that? I HOPE TO GOD that those in the States who felt that way the last time around HAVE CHANGED THEIR TUNE AND WOKE THE HELL UP! And the fact that he had the audacity to imply that Obama didn't have the capacity to understand foreign affairs, and other things like that was insulting. OBAMA is a Harvard graduate who has a very good grasp on the happenings of the world, FAR MORE than Miss I-Can-See-Russia-From-My-House Palin could ever have. Did any of you guys see her interview with Katie Couric? I mean she couldn't even give a decent interview with KATIE COURIC! No offence but Mrs. Couric isn't exactly the epitome of hard hitting journalism. McCain was a belittling mini George W. tonight. McCain in my opinion is nothing but a pompus, racist, elitist, war hungry jackass who needs to go crawl back in the hole in the ground he came out of. PERIOD.

OBAMA 2008...he will be president, mark my words.

Last edited:
Body language speaks louder than anything a candidate might say, but what does it tell us?

I don't think we should judge a candidate on whether they like the opposing candidates or not. I wouldn't want a leader who spends more time trying to be-friend people and less time working on the real problems at hand. This day and age is all put down to the "what he/she was wearing, how they looked at their partner, how they looked at their opponents etc. When it should just be what are their policies and what does their party stand for?
Because at the end of the day a candidate is just the figurehead, granted they need to be charistmatic and be able to invoke a response from their citizens... but really they are just going to deliver and work on the issues that are presented to them by their party.

I don't like either of the candidates at the moment. McCain is a different man from the man he was when he won the hearts of most republicans and I think the pace is either getting too fast for him or he's just showing his true colours. Obama is inspiring but there's something missing and I haven't quite put my finger on it as of yet. Either way though.. both have yet to demonstrate a good understanding of the economical crisis that the Bush Administration has put the US into... and that is highly concerning. Forget the war, forget Roe VS Wade... start thinking about that economy because if the US economy goes down it's gonna drag most countries down with it....

(why can I hear the song "History Repeating")

Obama is inspiring but there's something missing and I haven't quite put my finger on it as of yet.

Like Eddie Griffin siad, he's a slick mo**** Fu****. He's as fake as McCain. I mean, they're poloticians. I'm not excited about either and don't believe either has the potential or willigness to actually make any sort of signifigant impact. Whoever takes over, they're going to have a hell of a hard time fixing this jacked up mess.

^ well that's just it isn't it, it doesn't matter who they get they're gonna have to spend 4+ years and then some fixing this mess... that's the amazing thing about governments :lol: one makes a mess and the next either cleans up or just goes on there way and makes more mess :lol:

Even though there was a lot I didn't agree with Hilary Clinton... I think having her and her husband in the white house come this economic disaster might have been the best choice... but oh well

Yeah, I agree with that. I would have felt more comfortable with Hillary and her husband at this point. But waht you said is the reason politics doesn't intrest me too much. It's so fickle and ever changing and rarely if ever is there prfinent or real "change", since that's become the favorite buzz word of this campaign. One party or leader takes over and either makes it worse or keep it the same. And even if they fix things, its only for 4 or 8 years untill another person comes and changes everything again! Law changes and policy changes, to me, never seems the way to change the world. You have to change the way people think cefore you can change the way the world works.

The debate was very much a non-event. We didn't really learn anything about the candidate we didn't already know. None of them were more convincing then the other. No one really made there case stronger than the other. There were no big moments. Not really any memorable one-liners. No one really "won". A bit disappointing actually.

But as far as polling goes, the debate worked in Obama's favour. McCain has slipped in Florida and Virginia. Obama is now leading in Virginia. McCain's lead is within the margin-of-error in Florida. The electoral map is looking really great for Obama. RCP.com now have him 65 points up on McCain. They are projecting that the final electoral count will be Obama 286 - McCain 252. Obama has this election wrapped up. If the rest of the debates are as uneventful as this one just been, then Obama will win for sure.

Is it wrong that I really really want to see Palin debate :lol:

oh and I'm watching the debate now on my PayTV and damn.... McCain goes out of his way not to look at Obama.... I mean what the? :rofl:

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I really really want to see Palin debate :lol:

oh and I'm watching the debate now on my PayTV and damn.... McCain goes out of his way not to look at Obama.... I mean what the? :rofl:

That speaks to me about Mccain's character. I think he must have been advised to NOT look at Obama during the debate. And Obama have probably been advised to ADRESS directly to McCain during the debate. Who looked better? Obama.

No matter who will be the new president for the United states, there is a huge job waiting for them. With all the debt the US is in now, everybody wondering how to solve it.

Like that republican on BBC last night on how the economy will be solved he said quote: "take a couple of aspirins and call us in the morning".

I'm looking forward to hear more on these debates. Obama is still my favorite to became America's next top model, err, I mean president!

Obama 2008!!!

I'm looking forward to hear more on these debates. Obama is still my favorite to became America's next top model, err, I mean president!

Obama 2008!!!

He could be that as well :lol: I saw through out the debate his "Looking off the right, cuz to the right and slightly upwards is where HOPE lies" pose was still alive and kicking :lol:

obama-wright.jpg

barack_obama.jpg

barack_michelle_obama.jpe

13obama.600.jpg

Recognize. Know. Love the POSE :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was telling my boyfriend last night that he is kinda good looking. Odd looks from my boyfriend striked me until I said "in a presidential kind of way" LOL

yea, he got the pose for sure.

I don't trust anyone who cannot look me in the eye. McCain's behavior was bizarre and disrespectful.

And he lied to boot. All night long.

Now I don't care what people think of Obama. We've been there and done that in the primaries. That part of our process is over.

But if you honestly think that there is no difference between Obama and McCain, then it's clear that you aren't either paying much attention or still harboring Clinton resentments.

McCain is WORSE than Bush. Furthermore, I believe he does not have the physical stamina or the mental capacity to be President of the United States at this time.

McCain chose a running mate to appease the extremist irrational rightwing of his party. A woman who has a higher % to ascend to the Presidency than Joe Biden does. A woman who is basically intellectually deficient on issues of national and world economics outside of her own state, as well as foreign policy. How and why the people of Alaska voted her to be Governor is a mystery to me, but it's their own cross to bear. I do NOT want this woman anywhere near a white house.

Or Washington, DC for that matter. She is dangerous. Her religious views as a Dominionist is fatalistic in nature and she would hit the red nuke button just to bring on the 'Rapture' if it was up to her.

This is not a game, yet people are tripping all over the place in the world of politics. We need calm and stable leadership, regardless of the fact that the Bush Administration has messed stuff up so badly that the next President, whoever he may be, will not be able to fix much anyway.

But we certainly don't need someone to come in and make it WAY worse.

Now. On a personal level, I am rather offended by the remarks that Obama is being slick. While I have questioned some of the decisions that he has gone along with, particularly the FISA vote, I do think that I understand why he did so, given the toxic political environment we have right now.

I chalk this up to individuals still brooding over Hillary Clinton not garnering the nomination. Look.

Hillary could have had the nomination, but she ran with a poor campaign strategy and spend all of her campaign funds up front on the big states, thinking that would get her over. People in her campaign warned the Clintons as early as 2007 that Obama was deploying a 50-state strategy, building upon what DNC Chairman Howard Dean had started.

They didn't listen and furthermore, you don't hire a notorious Republican hack to run your campaign strategy unless you ARE a Republican.

Those are the realities surrounding that campaign and that is why she is not the nominee and that bridge has been crossed.

This is the here and now and if Americans get it wrong this time, it will be to the world's collective peril.

Back