Timbaland working on MJ tracks?

I just wish that there were some way to tell the Estate, please, please give us some kind of "Original Versions Bonus" thing, where you can buy all the original versions from the upcoming album off iTunes or something similar to this. It's all that I want.

Trust me, the MJ Esate already know that's what the fans on the message boards want.
They monitor the boards.
That's why I get so bothered by the extreme reactions on here, some of which are completely out of proportion and unecessary. The MJ Estate should not be guided by what relatively few hardcore fans demand. They have to worry about the bigger picture and there are many, many casual MJ fans around the world who would not necessarily agree with what the fans on MJJC say or want.

Trust me, the MJ Esate already know that's what the fans on the message boards want.
They monitor the boards.
That's why I get so bothered by the extreme reactions on here, some of which are completely out of proportion and unecessary. The MJ Estate should not be guided by what relatively few hardcore fans demand. They have to worry about the bigger picture and there are many, many casual MJ fans around the world who would not necessarily agree with what the fans on MJJC say or want.
Well, you shouldn't be bothered by extreme reactions. This is an MJ forum, where there will be many hardcore fans like me, expressing my feelings and opinions. Would you rather have people like me leave the forum and go on Twitter instead?

Losing members is something MJJC do not want.

You are saying The Estate should not be guided by what a "few hardcore fans demand". Hehe... It's exactly what the Estate need. I won't bother going this much off topic. I just want to say that they are incompetent and they should already have hired hardcore fans to help them with projects for the future.

By casual, I guess you mean they have to worry about MJ getting on top of the charts. Since that's the only thing that seem to matter to you.

Ignore the opinions of "hardcore fans" like me and I'll ignore your words about how MJ's sound "SHOULD" be changed. I cringed so hard reading that. If Billie Jean was released today, completely untouched, it would go No 1. No matter what.

Why? Because most of MJ's music is timeless. It doesn't need to be "updated" - at least not as much as to go and get a producer who will make his own music with MJ's vocals over it.

Pentum, what I mean is the MJ Estate should not be only drive by the reaction on MJ fan boards, they need to consider the opinion of the wider MJ fan community who do not visit the boards, and even the desires of the general public (who may not consider themselves MJ fans but may be attracted to his music).
If the MJ Estate were to pander to only the hardcore (which is after all a minority) then they would not make much money. BAD25 is a good example of that. It was a product to appeal to the hardcore fanbase and had very limited appeal. As a result it did not sell very well. The MJ Estate need to keep the money coming in and so the next project will appeal to the wider audience (and rightly so).

Sure, they could release a compilation including the original demos but I hope they don't. The focus needs to be on the new stuff and attention should not be diverted to compare the old with the new. The demos can be released later IMO.

The online MJ Fan community is a very vocal and powerful force but it is only a minority.

IMO Mj's music is not timeless, just like Elvis' music is not timeless and neither is the Beatles' music.
All are a reflective of the era they were created in.
IMO the most 'timeless' MJ album is OTW because of the real instruments used that do not date as bad as the synths and electro sounds used in later albums, but even with real instruments it sounds very much like a 70s album.
Thriller and BAD sound like 80s albums. BAD sounds especially dated because of the synths etc.
Dangerous and HIStory sound like 90s albums and are dated due to the electric 'instruments' used in many of the songs.
Vince sounds like a 90s album too IMO.

Of course I enjoy all those albums but we cannot say they are 'timeless'.

Last edited:
Pentum, what I mean is the MJ Estate should not be only drive by the reaction on MJ fan boards, they need to consider the opinion of the wider MJ fan community who do not visit the boards, and even the desires of the general public (who may not consider themselves MJ fans but may be attracted to his music).
If the MJ Estate were to pander to only the hardcore (which is after all a minority) then they would not make much money. BAD25 is a good example of that. It was a product to appeal to the hardcore fanbase and had very limited appeal. As a result it did not sell very well. The MJ Estate need to keep the money coming in and so the next project will appeal to the wider audience (and rightly so).
My problem with The Estate now (beside the fact that 9/10 releases so far have been screwed harder than Teddy Riley screwed Hollywood Tonight) is how much they are trying to fit Michael into the "mainstream" music and make him "hip". Michael is not alive! So topping the charts with updated music from his original vision is to me kind of tasteless. I do try to understand them. They are a business like people are saying, but they are also suppose to protect his legacy and preserve it. I guess we can say, people have different opinions on HOW to exactly do that. And it's safe to say, my opinions on how to do that is obviously different compared to him/them.

Sure, they could release a compilation including the original demos but I hope they don't. The focus needs to be on the new stuff and attention should not be diverted to compare the old with the new. The demos can be released later IMO.
I strongly disagree. Why not? They can perfectly focus on the new album itself, while releasing the bonus CD seperatly on iTunes. They don't even need to promote it, just notify us that it's there for the people who want it. What do they lose? Money seems to be the only thing they care about - and I am certain they would make even more money by doing that.

There's no point in waiting. Branca isn't going to stay forever. The digital marked is here and with a few clicks, they can make that bonus cd available on iTunes. It doesn't take a lot of effort.

The online MJ Fan community is a very vocal and powerful force but it is only a minority.
Yes, and we are the ones who are actually continuing to buy MJ's products. I know no one in my personal life who has bought ANY MJ release after his death, I am just saying.

We are the ones who should have some saying because we are mainly the customers. At least, this is my opinion.

IMO Mj's music is not timeless, just like Elvis' music is not timeless and neither is the Beatles' music.
All are a reflective of the era they were created in.
IMO the most 'timeless' MJ album is OTW because of the real instruments used that do not date as bad as the synths and electro sounds used in later albums, but even with real instruments it sounds very much like a 70s album.
Thriller and BAD sound like 80s albums. BAD sounds especially dated because of the synths etc.
Dangerous and HIStory sound like 90s albums and are dated due to the electric 'instruments' used in many of the songs.
Vince sounds like a 90s album too IMO.

All matter of opinion here of course, but I think it's safe to say that most MJ fans believe most of MJ's music is timeless. At least that's my experience. Almost every member on this board has probably written one post about or told someone this in their history...

Fair enough.
It's not worth arguing about it.

Music is very subjective, including its 'timelessness', quality, and how it should be promoted etc. We all have different opinions.
At the end of the day if the new product achieves what the MJ Estate set out to achieve then they will consider it a success.

Yes. After the Michael fiasco, I have come to realize that there aren't really much we fans can do other than express opinions and feelings. If none of us did this, then there wouldn't be much activity here, now would it? There should always be people who are critical, for that balance.

I appreciate MJJC opening the Submit to Estate thread, but let's just see how much that really helps, as most of the fans (if you read the thread) wants stuff that also don't really appeal to the general public.

PDiddy tweeted this:

Diddy &#8207;<s>@</s>iamdiddy "My bro @Timbaland got something incredible coming with the KING!!! http://bit.ly/19LiOaB #RIPMJ"

According to DamienShields "Revolt TV is a soon-to-be-launched cable TV channel founded by Sean &#8220;Diddy&#8221; Combs."

If that's true then I guess we can trust the video.

The video has been set to 'private' for now. I wonder if it was supposed to be released tomorrow instead of today??

bobmoo79;3894392 said:
PDiddy tweeted this:

Diddy &#8207;<s>@</s>iamdiddy "My bro @Timbaland got something incredible coming with the KING!!! http://bit.ly/19LiOaB #RIPMJ"

According to DamienShields "Revolt TV is a soon-to-be-launched cable TV channel founded by Sean &#8220;Diddy&#8221; Combs."

If that's true then I guess we can trust the video.

The video has been set to 'private' for now. I wonder if it was supposed to be released tomorrow instead of today??

AHHHH !"!!!! - The wait is killing me!!

I really DO think we will get some official news tomorrow !!!

Yes. After the Michael fiasco, I have come to realize that there aren't really much we fans can do other than express opinions and feelings. If none of us did this, then there wouldn't be much activity here, now would it? There should always be people who are critical, for that balance.

That's how it is. To make things clear: there is no hate against anyone, not at all. But we learned, we have to watch over Michael's legacy which includes the music he left. We learned this is necessary since they released the Michael album. So please don't mix criticism up to hate. For us as Michael's fans is nothin' left to do, besides calling out when things go wrong.

Again, I have nothing against Timbaland. I also never used the word "hate" about the Estate before. But now I really hate them. Why not Rodney Jerkins doing the song he worked on. Rodney is a hit producer too, he is popular and current. Why Timbaland who never even met MJ in the first place. But why give him the song Rodney was working on WITH MJ? Unbelievable! I don't understand them.

Bring on Chicago! Can't wait. This will be great people please enjoy this is what have been waiting for.

To me, honestly, I don't even care if a producer has met Michael or not. What I care about is quality and the final product. If we can get a producer that has an extreme respect for Michael to complete one of his songs, making it sound amazing while still staying true to Michael's original vision, that's completely fine. Just look at Teddy Riley. He worked with Michael and pretty much everyone hates him now for his work on Hollywood Tonight and the Cascios.

I never found giving his tracks to new producers damaging to his legacy, so long as they do it right.

Again, I have nothing against Timbaland. I also never used the word "hate" about the Estate before. But now I really hate them. Why not Rodney Jerkins doing the song he worked on. Rodney is a hit producer too, he is popular and current. Why Timbaland who never even met MJ in the first place. But why give him the song Rodney was working on WITH MJ? Unbelievable! I don't understand them.

1) How do we know that Chicago is Chicago 1945 in the first place? It seems unlikely that there's another song with that title, sure, but anything can happen. Let's keep our options open.

2) Who knows? Do we even know WHY Rodney isn't doing it? Has he said anything about it? No. At this point, again, it is all speculation. We can't hate on the estate for something we have no information about yet, that just doesn't make sense. They very easily could have asked Rodney to do it and have him say no. They very easily could have rejected him because he wanted too much money. Anything could have happened, but this shouldn't spill over onto the song. Besides, why are people so mad that he's working on the song? Michael wanted to work with him. It's just like with 50 Cent; they were planning to collaborate and just never got around to it. Then 50 appeared on a posthumous track, yet no one is faulting him for that.

When the song comes out, we can all make our final rulings. I'm reserving my judgment because I believe that Timbaland will do a great job with this song.

if they opted against Jerkins, it makes no sense at all. The dude worked on Bieber's album (?) and that got number one, so if they're worrying about that he still worked with "current" producers who truly understand the sound Michael was going for.

Michael wanted to work with him. It's just like with 50 Cent; they were planning to collaborate and just never got around to it. Then 50 appeared on a posthumous track, yet no one is faulting him for that.

When the song comes out, we can all make our final rulings. I'm reserving my judgment because I believe that Timbaland will do a great job with this song.

We don't know that. We knew about MJ/50 possible collaboration since 2006 rumors. I've never heard before that MJ wanted to work with Tim. Not even a rumour.

I'm sure Timbaland will do a great job. I love his work with JT. But it won't be authentic and I love authenticity more than quality (in terms of having a #1 hit). It will be yet another remix of unreleased song, like Hollywood Tonight, Slave To The Rhythm or Behind The Mask. I prefer Hold My Hand over Hollywood Tonight even though Hollywood is much better song.

Last edited:
if they opted against Jerkins, it makes no sense at all. The dude worked on Bieber's album (?) and that got number one, so if they're worrying about that he still worked with "current" producers who truly understand the sound Michael was going for.

It's possible that the Estate doesn't even know about Rodney Jerkins' version of the song from 2000 Invincible sessions, because they are ignorant as always (Cascio tracks, Paul Anka co-writing This Is It...).

Maybe they found Chicago (1985 Demo) while working on Bad25, they thought that it is the latest version of the song and decided to give it to Tim to produce it for the new album.

That makes more sense to me knowing how ignorant the Estate is.

I think we all should stay neutral about this and not think about it too much. You know there are some songs I hear like Get Lucky by Daft Punk or Treasure by Bruno Mars on the radio all the time. I always think of Michael when I hear it. I feel like his spirit is there. That's what I love to see and hear but this time with Michael singing would be a real gift to me. Michael left us many special gifts and maybe something special can be given to him. Lets wait and see and not worry yet.

We don't know that. We knew about MJ/50 possible collaboration since 2006 rumors. I've never heard before that MJ wanted to work with Tim. Not even a rumour.

There were rumours in 2008.

For example

"TUESDAY, APRIL 1, 2008
Timbaland working with Michael Jackson?
So says Matt Pokora in a recent interview he did though he might have let the cat out of the bag. The interview is entirely in french and when "translated" to english via Goole you get a very bad and hard to read interview. Thankfully a friend of mine from France was able to give us the highlights:

-Matt Pokora did his project on his own, booking studio sessions, etc.
-Tim's beats for his album are NOT left overs. Tim played demos and Pokora told him which ones he liked.
-Madonna's album is "wicked". Pokora thought the beats were for him and was upset they weren't.
-He's not Justin Timberlake Part II, though they're both blued eyed, blond, white guys from a boyband who went solo and worked with Tim. He is NOT a JT fan. If he wanted to be JT, he wouldn't have all the tatoos.
-Tim's crew told him they were working on Michael Jackson's album.
-He met Pharrell 3 weeks ago and wants to work him in the future."

Of course this was never confirmed by Timbaland or MJ, but if what Pokora said was true isn't it possible that Tim started on "Chicago" in 2008?? Or at least had some involvement with MJ material that year?
I think there were also rumours at a similar time that LA Reid and MJ were in discussions....

If both are true, then it's possible that the short fragments we have seen from the Timbaland interview where he talks about speaking to MJ on the phone and LA Reid visiting his house actually relate to something occurring in 2007/2008.
We won't know until we see the full interview.

If what I guessed is correct, that would make some the criticisms for choosing Timbaland as a producer redundant. People say he never worked with MJ, but maybe he did. I'm just speculating wildly - putting small pieces of a puzzle together, and it's possible I'm completely wrong, but maybe not....

Let's not judge until we have a fuller picture. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure Timbaland will do a great job. I love his work with JT. But it won't be authentic and I love authenticity more than quality (in terms of having a #1 hit). It will be yet another remix of unreleased song, like Hollywood Tonight, Slave To The Rhythm or Behind The Mask. I prefer Hold My Hand over Hollywood Tonight even though Hollywood is much better song.

But how do we know that? Like you said, look at Hold My Hand. That song is an absolutely gorgeous update of the original demo, which by no means loses the charm or the atmosphere. The right producer can easily pull that off; it doesn't necessarily need to be the original producer.

It's possible that the Estate doesn't even know about Rodney Jerkins' version of the song from 2000 Invincible sessions, because they are ignorant as always (Cascio tracks, Paul Anka co-writing This Is It...).

Maybe they found Chicago (1985 Demo) while working on Bad25, they thought that it is the latest version of the song and decided to give it to Tim to produce it for the new album.

That makes more sense to me knowing how ignorant the Estate is.

... *sigh*

For all the doubters out there.

Timbaland will smash it with this project. Mark my words.

This thing will be HUGE

Timbaland knows whos music he's working on... Michael Jackson!! He will bring his best effort to this for sure... He will do everything he can to make mj proud and toget the opportunity again if possible..

The result, I can't say how great or bad.. But I don't doubt the effort level that will go into this from him. He wanted to work with mj for years..

^^ I'm not gonna lie for a second, I absolutely love that. I know it's just a mashup of a Timb song and a Michael song but still, it sounds amazing. Let's hope he gives something this level to us!

I'm not going to judge until I hear what work he is doing. AlwaysThere used Hold My Hand as an example, and I agree, we should wait and see. If I hear the songs(if he's working on more than one), and I think they're crap, I'll be sure to come on here and scream about it :D

Timbaland Teases Project With Michael Jackson In Disappeared Revolt TV Video

In a video posted on Revolt TV's YouTube page on Tuesday night, Timbaland teased a forthcoming project that would feature the vocals of the late Michael Jackson.

Full details weren't announced, but as Vulture noted, Timbaland's excitement about using the work of a deceased artist who he had never worked with previously (Timbaland and Jackson only spoke once, over the phone) is pretty hypocritical. This is, after all, the same producer who ripped Drake for using Aaliyah's vocals, telling the press at the time that "Aaliyah music only work with its soulmate, which is me." (At least Drake has an Aaliyah tattoo!)

In any case, the video of Timbo's announcement (in which he says he has an MJ-featuring track called "Chicago") has since been made private, and doesn't appear on Revolt TV's website. This is curious, given the hyper-aggressive promotion that Diddy's new music and news site was giving the clip on its social media channels. In addition to retweeting a number of people who shared the link, Revolt's Twitter handle posted these links:

Hall Of Fame @RevoltTV
Hall Of Fame
"It's hard to bring anything out because now your just going to hear my music with his voice over it" - http://t.co/stc3WdrbUS

Hall Of Fame @RevoltTV
Hall Of Fame
RT @RapRadar RAPRADAR: Timbaland Unveils Michael Jackson Project http://t.co/QOb7Js5iBz

Hall Of Fame @RevoltTV
Hall Of Fame
" I can tell you the 1st single is going to be the song 'Chicago' " - @Timbaland Michael Jackson Project http://t.co/stc3WdrbUS

Hall Of Fame @RevoltTV
Hall Of Fame
#REVOLT Exclusive: @Timbaland Unveils New Michael Jackson Project - http://t.co/YjFTDOu0cV

This is the second fumble of late for the news site. On Saturday, it directed fans to attend a "secret" Jay Z show with rumored guests Beyonce and Justin Timberlake, prompting a large crowd to abandon their weekend plans and head to the location in Brooklyn. After hours passed with nary a performer in sight, Revolt tweeted that there was no show planned:

Hall Of Fame @RevoltTV
Hall Of Fame
Please disregard our previous statement about the Jay Z show. We will keep you updated with further details. Apologies to all waiting in BK.

These are certainly not matters of life or death, but for a site working to build trust with a new audience, posting and deleting exclusives and teasing non-existent shows can't help.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...t-tv_n_3828989.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

So is this legit? Will the full interview be planned and is the Estate involved? aarrgghhh never easy is it..

Please mjjc contact the Estate and ask if this Tim project is authorized.

Back