Timbaland working on MJ tracks?

you guys should be happy that its likely to have some chart success for MJ with that producer. finally!
timbaland will do a great job.

untouched demos will never do well on the radio/charts and are only for hardcore fans (id still love to hear them).

He said: "L.A. Reid came to me.. like.. to my house..", so I think he gave him the songs (of course with approval of MJ's Estate) which is normal because he is the chairman and CEO of Epic Records, a division of Sony Music and yes he probably have more than one song he did with MJ.

That could also mean that L.A. is the one that gave him songs to remix. It's kind of like how Michael Prince gave Teddy Riley songs like Hollywood Tonight. But I guess we can wait and see.

^^

semantics. hate songs, timbaland, announcement etc. what you hate doesn't matter. my point was about almost instant negativity even before this was confirmed to be official.

perhaps once we can try to give projects a chance? no?

Ivy can you blame us so many times we have been let down by these producers saying they doing mj stuff will release it then it never happens its annoying

oh dear. it's just strange to see him claim he is on the level of Michael Jackson.

*he may not be a dick but he certainly acts like one in this*

Well, he IS kind of the king of beats in the world of hip hop (and more-so pop in the last few years).

Excellent producer who has years of hit songs under his belt.

When compared to 90% of other producers nowadays, I would say that Timbaland is the king honestly. Yes, he's given us dozens of generic songs, but he's also given us dozens that are legitimately unique(ish) and different from anything else you'll hear in the mainstream. How many other producers can do that?

Also, I don't necessarily think calling himself a king shows his ego. I'm sure there's a video out there where Michael calls himself the King of Pop.

Seriously...Are you all ignoring the fact that he trashed MJ in 2006? Are you all so desperate for a hit record that you are willing to turn a blind eye on this guy's history? Who's next...? Eminem rapping on an MJ record? Why not, if it will help him reach number one.

I have supported every single estate project since 2009...This, if Timbaland as much as plays the bongo on, I will not support. One I don't like him...His arrogance is a turn off ....no way would MJ ever work with this dude. Timbaland was very popular in the 90s with his work for Aaliyah & Missy...yet MJ never chose him.

Either way, his public lashing in 2006 alone disqualifies him from working on a Michael Jackson record.

And, let's not mention the pure hypocrisy of it all:

“Aaliyah music only work with its soulmate, which is me,” Timbaland said, condemning any future releases, which include Drake’s reported Aaliyah album, which doesn’t include him or and Missy Elliot."

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/07/24/timbaland-doesnt-approve-of-aaliyah-vocals-on-drake-chris-brown-songs/

He doesn't think those who never worked with Aaliyah while she was alive should touch her records...talk about speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

This move screams desperation on Epic & the estate's part. They want number ones... they want a return on their 200M investment...MJ legacy be damned.

Last edited:
^^

semantics. hate songs, timbaland, announcement etc. what you hate doesn't matter. my point was about almost instant negativity even before this was confirmed to be official.

perhaps once we can try to give projects a chance? no?
People are just giving their opinions. If they seem negative to you, so be it. A lot of people are against the idea of using Michael as not a true artist involved in every stage of his music, but instead as a trained singing parrot slapped over whatever "hot" producers beat.

Memefan;3894209 said:
Seriously...Are you all ignoring the fact that he trashed MJ in 2006? Are you all so desperate for a hit record that you are willing to turn a blind eye on this guy's history? Who's next...? Eminem rapping on an MJ record? Why now, if it will help him reach number one.

I have supported every single estate project since 2009...This, if Timbaland as much as plays the bongo on, I will not support. One I don't like him...His arrogance is a turn off ....no way would MJ ever work with this dude. Timbaland was very popular in the 90s with his work for Aaliyah & Missy...yet MJ never chose him.

Either way, his public lashing in 2006 alone disqualifies him from working on a Michael Jackson record.

“Aaliyah music only work with its soulmate, which is me,” Timbaland said, condemning any future releases, which include Drake’s reported Aaliyah album, which doesn’t include him or and Missy Elliot."

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2013/07/24/timbaland-doesnt-approve-of-aaliyah-vocals-on-drake-chris-brown-songs/

He doesn't think those who never worked with Aaliyah while she was alive should touch her records...talk about speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

This move screams desperation on Epic & the estate's part. They want number ones... they want a return on their 200M investment...MJ legacy be damned.

He didn't trash Michael. He simply gave his opinion that Michael's best albums were recorded with Quincy Jones, which is perfectly fine. Just like fans are allowed to hate some of Michael's music, producers are allowed to. Additionally, Michael wanted to work with him around 2007 or 2008. They just never got around to it.

Of every producer on the charts today, Timbaland is the best option for a Michael Jackson song. View him like we encourage others to view Michael: ignore what he says or what other people say about him. Just enjoy the music.

WildStyle;3894214 said:
A lot of people are against the idea of using Michael as not a true artist involved in every stage of his music, but instead as a trained singing parrot slapped over whatever "hot" producers beat.

But have we heard the song/s? Have we hear even an iota of what Timbaland has produced for Michael? No. We only heard Tim's vague statement and people are already saying that the song is going to be more Tim and less Michael. If it turns out this way I'll be the first to apologize. But his ego be damned. Let's give him some time to present himself before we all jump to conclusions.

tumblr_min1azEQq71r116s7o1_400.gif

tumblr_lc9ge9dK1R1qzado8o1_500.gif

So true :fear:
tumblr_mdxt67va7v1qh7ov5o2_r1_250.gif
... If I say I'm happy is a lie. Timbaland? :blink: Oh God... this is worrying. What will he do with the music of Michael? :bugeyed: I hope he did not murder the music of Michael. :unsure: But still I am not very confident. :nono: I do not like this guy. :puke:

Oh this is gettin interesting....:popcorn:

When Timberland said "Two kings"....I was like MJ and who else? Took me a sec to realize he was talking about himself and MJ! :rollin:Hmm Does he think he can be the Q MJs Music needed all these yrs according to him? -_-

Well...I'm sure the songs will be good, hopefully! But, seriously dude I can do without ego! Last thing I wanna hear is Timberland honkin his own horn in the future that he gave MJ a hit again and yadda, yadda and totally forgetting about the ARTIST, which sound like is already happening! I also have no doubt this will do better then The MICHAEL album...I'll be surprise it doesn't? As long as they don't repeat the same B.S that is? I'll keep the Faith! Yes pun intended!

Call me weird but I am not going to have any expectations about this. I am going to wait and see. When I hear something then I will know how I feel about it.

Aaliyah music only work with its soulmate, which is me,” Timbaland said, condemning any future releases, which include Drake’s reported Aaliyah album, which doesn’t include him or and Missy Elliot."

Wow can he get any more arrogant

Seriously...Are you all ignoring the fact that he trashed MJ in 2006? Are you all so desperate for a hit record that you are willing to turn a blind eye on this guy's history?

While I'm not defending what he said in 2006, heaven forbid someone change their opinion.

Can we give the guy a chance? What has he done wrong? If this was Teddy Riley, I would fully understand discussion like this, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm eager and excited. I'm hoping for the best. I just hope Timbaland doesn't credit himself for Michael success.

BTW that "teaser" video is getting a LOT of attention on twitter already. Famous celebrities and Magazines are tweeting and retweeting the link.

Last edited:
Ivy can you blame us so many times we have been let down by these producers saying they doing mj stuff will release it then it never happens its annoying

I think we can at least wait to hear the songs before we decide to be let down and it's a bad thing. Honestly you are only hurting your own happiness and expectations. If you don't start at a neutral position , if you start at a negative position it would be a lot harder for any release to ever satisfy you. therefore you will always be disappointed. (ps : by you I don't mean only you, I mean everyone)

A lot of people are against the idea of using Michael as not a true artist involved in every stage of his music, but instead as a trained singing parrot slapped over whatever "hot" producers beat.

I don't get this comment. Michael is dead, unless there are recording studios in heaven Michael won't be able to involve in every stage of his music anymore and it will be other producers that are finalizing the work. so I think either you should be okay or at least have an open mind about other producers working on the songs or you would be on the extreme side of "don't touch or dare to finish his music". While as a fan I understand and do want the untouched demos as well, it's in my book highly unrealistic to expect a public release of a new album to consist of unfinished demos.

a fan targeted release - such as Bad 25 - can include untouched demos as it is targeted towards fans however it won't sell well. Any posthumous release targeted to general public would require finished & updated songs to attract the public's interest and to sell well. That means you need to bring in other people to finish songs. so this is no different than Eminem brought in to produce tupac's posthumous album and tupac's fans being angry about it. I think it's arguable what is best for Michael's legacy. Do you want to keep Michael's songs pure but have low only fan sales, or do you want to try to reach to a lot of people even new fans? Was remixing Elvis's song A little conversation and getting 12 number one positions across the globe was bad? Should we be against a hot producer possibly giving Michael a worldwide number one hit? what's the balance here?

Mmm, not sure how I feel now, after seeing that video to be honest. :/

I'm not the worlds biggest Timbaland fan .. but this got me WAY excited. I'm excited to see what someone with the skillset and ego of Timbaland can do when you give him the biggest artist in the history of the world. You know he's going to bring his A-Game because he will want to blow people away with this. Timbalands ego is too big to not have this be HUGE!

Game on!

Timabaland is confident, he always has been. He can, because he revolutionized the R&B music industry. He has an unqiue way to produce songs. His ego is a part of the 'Timbaland act'.

Some songs were done in an hour, a day or a couple of days (Justin Timberlake Projects). For others (like the MJ project) he takes his time, because his career is at stake here. Timbaland is allround and can produce beautiful musical gems.

In an MTV interview once he was asked if he was afraid that he would not be relevant anymore. His answer was yes. He is afraid of that, to prevent this fact from happening he shows he is confident and dares to do things. 'till this day, every artist in the music industry has nothing but respect for him.

Rock (Apologize), R&B (Ginuwine/Aaliyah) Pop (Chris Cornell). He does it all.

He is confident about the MJ project, because Timbaland has the ability to be state of the art when it comes to producing and arranging. He has a special team who does the engineering part for him, in his precense. This project will be AWESOME!

Go Timbo go, and show the doubters what you're known for... to be CUTTING EDGE.

Well it's funny that at first people were saying `noooooo not the vocalsss!` and now when he said `his voice and my music` people are like `noooo not the music`. Don't screw up this release guy, please. I got a felling it will be big!

Memefan;3894209 said:
Seriously...Are you all ignoring the fact that he trashed MJ in 2006? Are you all so desperate for a hit record that you are willing to turn a blind eye on this guy's history? Who's next...? Eminem rapping on an MJ record? Why not, if it will help him reach number one.

Many people have "turned" from their brainwashed opinion about MJ once they saw the master at work/or in this case the work he left in all it's brilliance. So maybe he has changed his opinion?
I also want to have the original versions on a second disc. Looking forward to a new album! I hope it will be good artistically and also be successfull commercially. IMO, it's basically the last chance of the estate to release something (really) chart relevant. Just stay true to Michaels vision.

Last edited:
I don't get this comment. Michael is dead, unless there are recording studios in heaven Michael won't be able to involve in every stage of his music anymore and it will be other producers that are finalizing the work. so I think either you should be okay or at least have an open mind about other producers working on the songs or you would be on the extreme side of "don't touch or dare to finish his music". While as a fan I understand and do want the untouched demos as well, it's in my book highly unrealistic to expect a public release of a new album to consist of unfinished demos.

a fan targeted release - such as Bad 25 - can include untouched demos as it is targeted towards fans however it won't sell well. Any posthumous release targeted to general public would require finished & updated songs to attract the public's interest and to sell well. That means you need to bring in other people to finish songs. so this is no different than Eminem brought in to produce tupac's posthumous album and tupac's fans being angry about it. I think it's arguable what is best for Michael's legacy. Do you want to keep Michael's songs pure but have low only fan sales, or do you want to try to reach to a lot of people even new fans? Was remixing Elvis's song A little conversation and getting 12 number one positions across the globe was bad? Should we be against a hot producer possibly giving Michael a worldwide number one hit? what's the balance here?
I've heard this line of reasoning a million times and I simply don't agree with it. I'm sure Sony did quite well for themselves on Bad 25 profit wise. The expectations put on that album by Sony and The Estate were ridiculous. Especially considering their failed poor promotional efforts. Still, I know they probably made plenty of money off of it. Anyway, I don't think Bad 25 should be any type of measuring stick. It was hardly the ultimate "fan" release. It was ok but was made to look much better than it was simply because of what it followed.

The question is how far do you sell out Michael (That's what I believe things like this are doing. Selling out Michael) so the Bieber, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Katy Perry crowd will buy his albums and singles from iTunes? And how important is it really? There are so many types of music consumers out there. And does it really do anything to strengthen Michael's reputation in the eyes of music fans? Does it really set him up for consistent long term catalog sales? How long do you stay with this strategy? Do you have Timbaland remixing early 2000's songs in 2013 to appeal to the pop crowd of this era, and then have DJ Woozalakka remixing 80's songs in 2023 to appeal to the pop crowd of that era? At what point do you start to worry about musical integrity?

I may like what Timbaland does with the tracks. I may not. That's not the point. The point is I don't think it's a well thought out strategy. It's just get a hit in the moment by any means necessary. At the end of the day I'm a MJ fan. I want to hear things the way Michael did them. Putting so much focus on producers coming in after the fact and putting their own spins on Michael's songs only serves to take away the focus from Michael as a musician and artist. That's not a good long term strategy. Maybe you'll get lucky and the teenyboppers will make it into a smash hit and the dollars will roll in. Then what do you do when they dispose of it and move on to the next thing as they do with everything else? How many serious music fans have you then turned off by going down this road and how are you going to win them back? A lot of people need to come to terms with the fact that Michael is not going to rule the charts forever. And that is not the one measuring stick of success.

I'm not against remixes here and there for the right reasons. I'm totally against it when it becomes the main focus and go to strategy. I respect Michael's artistry too much. But hey, that's just MY opinion lol.

Last edited:
Timabaland is confident, he always has been. He can, because he revolutionized the R&B music industry. He has an unqiue way to produce songs. His ego is a part of the 'Timbaland act'.

Some songs were done in an hour, a day or a couple of days (Justin Timberlake Projects). For others (like the MJ project) he takes his time, because his career is at stake here. Timbaland is allround and can produce beautiful musical gems.

In an MTV interview once he was asked if he was afraid that he would not be relevant anymore. His answer was yes. He is afraid of that, to prevent this fact from happening he shows he is confident and dares to do things. 'till this day, every artist in the music industry has nothing but respect for him.

Rock (Apologize), R&B (Ginuwine/Aaliyah) Pop (Chris Cornell). He does it all.

He is confident about the MJ project, because Timbaland has the ability to be state of the art when it comes to producing and arranging. He has a special team who does the engineering part for him, in his precense. This project will be AWESOME!

Go Timbo go, and show the doubters what you're known for... to be CUTTING EDGE.

LOL, Apologise ain't rock.

And it's false to say every artist in the music industry has nothing but respect for him.

I just wish that there were some way to tell the Estate, please, please give us some kind of "Original Versions Bonus" thing, where you can buy all the original versions from the upcoming album off iTunes or something similar to this. It's all that I want.

The video is so cut up that you can't draw any real conclusions from it. Timbaland doesn't even mention MJ in the interview so it is possible (though unlikely) that the video is a hoax IMO. Somebody cut up a Timbaland video and added MJ graphics to create a buzz.

Let's not get too upset by a Timbaland quote taken out of context.

IF it's genuine and this is confirmation that Timbo is working on atleast one MJ song, then it could be that Timbaland is taking a little too much ownership over the music when the work may really be limited to bringing the music up-to-date rather than completely changing it. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

The last thing we need is another premature sh!t storm to be kicked up by uninformed MJ fans who dislike the principle of somebody reworking Mj's music. We don't need the negativity on this forum and we don't need it creating waves in the media - the press would love to sink this project and report about fans boycotting it etc, just like they did with 'Michael'.

Timbaland has the ability to bring MJ's music to the charts again and so we should wait to hear it and if it's good, we should support it. We should not automatically shoot it down if it's as close to the original MJ sound as we would like. This is not the 1980s anymore. It's not even the early 00s anymore. Music has changed, and MJ's music SHOULD be made to sound different now if the MJ Estate wants to appeal to the general public and if they want to attack the charts. Personally I have been waiting for a new MJ hit since 2001, so if Timbaland can produce that then It's all good IMO.

About the LA Reid thing. We don't actually know what Timbaland was talking about. For all we know he was talking about a time in the early 90s.

Last edited:
Back