TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $101 Million thus far (UPDATE)

And watch this vid. Its NOT the best...but i got confused after watching this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33575277#33575277

I posted the link above. It's the kind of -inacurate after all- publicity that we fans and sony must strive to prevent..
In general from what I've seen so far, reports in the media continue to be good about the turn out. Hope it stays this way..

Re: Michael Jackson film dances to No. 1 worldwide

well, I HATE defending Sony but did you look at the fall movie schedule? There are blockbusters scheduled to be released every friday starting this week until the Xmas.

which ones are they? (for the coming three weeks, that is..)

To put shortly the conclusion on what should be done for as long as it remains in the theaters, I say that we -and sony- should keep the promotion and the word of mouth about it, and do what we can to spread the good reports and limit publicity like this one:

Amazing, heartwarming review; thanks for posting! Let's give this reviewer some love by watching this on his own station instead of YouTube, so he can get the hit and the credit, at KTLA: Sam Rubin Reviews Jackson Documentary "This Is It" . Thanks.

OMG! :shock: then what are we supposed to expect worldwide?! WOW

I don't know what that MSNBC guy was talking about. He never once mentioned the $101 million worldwide gross. It's kind of biased reporting. Also, he shoots down the Oscar possibility however if that veteran guy is to be believed then This Is It has a decent chance to be nominated for at least something.

I don't know what that MSNBC guy was talking about. He never once mentioned the $101 million worldwide gross. It's kind of biased reporting.

Even if those who want to shoot down the movie mention the worldwide appeal they add the comment "outside he is more popular than here", which is a stupid explanation, first of all because it's not true, and second because the only reason that the international numbers are bigger than the domestic ones is because, simply, the world is a bigger market.
It's so obvious, -do they think we're stupid..?

I don't know what that MSNBC guy was talking about. He never once mentioned the $101 million worldwide gross. It's kind of biased reporting.

Some reviewers are downright ANGRY that TII is doing so well. Check out this poor, jealous man (I won't link to him:)
Sony to milk Michael through Thanksgiving

Apparently the "flat" domestic box office for Michael Jackson's This Is It, didn't scare Sony off.

Or maybe they realized that they won't recoup their investment with just a two week run, if half or more of the audience of Michael Jackson fans have already seen it. Yeah, it;'s huge in Japan. It brought in $100 million worldwide. Aaaaaand? :)

They've extended the two week run to a month, through Thanksgiving, for This Is It.
My comment on this Orlando Sentinel blog site appeared briefly on the website, then was promptly deleted. :no:
"Heaven forbid in a capitalist society a studio should extend a film to make money. You seem a little angry here, Roger... did you predict wrongly the film would be awful and a flop?"

'This Is It' on its way to $200 million-plus, thanks mainly to foreigners

He's huge in Japan.

Michael Jackson's swan song "This Is It" made up for a so-so start domestically by doing more than twice as much business overseas.

The movie sold $32.5 million over its first five days in the U.S. and Canada and $68.5 million in 97 other countries. It stands with "Angels and Demons" and "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" as one of a handful of films that more than doubled its domestic opening in foreign countries.

Japan, where Jackson is particularly huge, was the highest-grossing territory. "This Is It" collected $10.4 million there, making it the third-biggest opening of the year. Britain, where Jackson's "This Is It" concert was scheduled to play, was No. 2, with $7.4 million, followed by Germany, France, Australia and China.

That's particularly good for Sony Pictures because movies often decline slower overseas than domestically. The movie's foreign opening was right in line with expectations going into the weekend, but the five-day domestic take of $32.5 million was at the bottom of what the studio and others in Hollywood thought was possible based on initial hype and pre-release surveys.

Everywhere it played, the best news for "This Is It" is that it didn't fall dramatically after a so-so start on Wednesday. Although many similar concert movies open big and fizzle fast, the Jackson film had a solid weekend compared with its Wednesday grosses. Domestic ticket sales were down less than 10% on Saturday, better than many in Hollywood had expected on Halloween and a sign of positive buzz.

Now that Sony has, in a not-too-surprising move, extended the movie beyond a previously announced two-week run, the film will almost certainly gross more than $200 million worldwide. That would be a healthy performance given Sony's investment of $60 million for the rights to make the movie, plus a relatively modest marketing spend.

There were no other new pictures in wide release as most studios avoided the weekend with Halloween on a Saturday. Sony was forced to take the date as it wanted to launch the film as quickly as possible after Jackson's unexpected death and every other fall weekend was crowded with big releases.

-- Ben Fritz

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...million-plus-thanks-mainly-to-foreigners.html

He beat Miley Cyrus! He beat that whiny little disney brat! YES! :clap:
LOL dont really know much about her but that made me laugh.

second because the only reason that the international numbers are bigger than the domestic ones is because, simply, the world is a bigger market.
It's so obvious, -do they think we're stupid..?
i guess they werent very good at geography at school. the rest of the world is slightly bigger than america. just like with mj record sales. 1 mill in the usa normally ment about 5 mill in the rest of the world

Amazing, heartwarming review; thanks for posting! Let's give this reviewer some love by watching this on his own station instead of YouTube, so he can get the hit and the credit, at KTLA: Sam Rubin Reviews Jackson Documentary "This Is It" . Thanks.

No credit is taken away, he gets more credit (publicity) when his video spreads everywhere especially on a large network like YouTube. Let us spread the word and draw more interest in MJ’s new movie.

'This Is It' on its way to $200 million-plus, thanks mainly to foreigners

I don’t like the word “foreigners”. Michael belongs to the world not only the US!

Lets Make This Is It Top Titanic

We've already topped Hanna Montana, NOW let's top Titanic and make This is It the number one movie in history, which Titanic holds. I've already been 3 times once with my children, once with MJ fans, which I will be uploading so you guys can see how packed the theather was at 10am in the morning on halloween, and once with co workers lol. Let's put michael in the guiness book of records again with this movie!!

Re: Lets Make This Is It Top Titanic

Not to bring anyone down or anything but what you're suggesting is impossible. There's no way for this is it to be the biggest grossing film of all time, as much as i like it to be.

Australian Box Office (weekend of 1/11/2009)
*look at the gab between the first and 2nd* :)

aus.jpg

He destroyed the competition in australia :)

At the end of the day a rehearsal documentary is a niche film, which, thanks to MJ's global appeal is #1 around the world - that's great news. Don't forget, some people could simply be waiting for the DVD, which we've been told is coming alot sooner than usual.

The fact remains, though, that everyone who goes and sees the film has nothing but praise for Michael and his team. This is the real test, and the word-of-mouth is overwhelminhly positive. MJ is - as we always expected - leaving everyone in awe of his passion, energy, focus and talent.

Not to bring anyone down or anything but what you're suggesting is impossible. There's no way for this is it to be the biggest grossing film of all time, as much as i like it to be.

ROFL and why not? Michael broke many records that people say "WERE IMPOSSIBLE" for him to break, such as being the first black artist to have a video on MTV which broke down racial barriers all for artist of all ethics to have their videos played on MTV, Selling more records then Elvis Presley, He's in the guinness book of world records for the most successful concerts in the world, best selling artist of all time, for having the most number one hits then any other artist, most grammy awards won by an artist, having the largest contract 890 million with sony, Etc...Need I continue? Michael has an impressive resume and is VERY capable of breaking records, and I think making This is it number one shouldn't be a hard record for Michael to break....Just my opinion...

I don’t like the word “foreigners”. Michael belongs to the world not only the US!

If this were said by a member here, on an international site, I'd agree with you. But it wasn't; it was a quote from U.S. journalist in a U.S. paper intended only for a U.S. audience, so the use was reasonable.

It will never happen...
Sorry...

haha we all love michael but this a concert film for the fans which means not "regular people" will go and see it like us fans .. titanic will never be out beaten

^first of, I saw so much non-fans one of them was my sister. second, I wouldnt say never..you never know what future will bring us. but its pretty much impossible, but since I believe that nowaday you can expect EVERYTHING.

Wow in Australia, Michael anihilated the competition.

ROFL and why not? Michael broke many records that people say "WERE IMPOSSIBLE" for him to break, such as being the first black artist to have a video on MTV which broke down racial barriers all for artist of all ethics to have their videos played on MTV, Selling more records then Elvis Presley, He's in the guinness book of world records for the most successful concerts in the world, best selling artist of all time, for having the most number one hits then any other artist, most grammy awards won by an artist, having the largest contract 890 million with sony, Etc...Need I continue? Michael has an impressive resume and is VERY capable of breaking records, and I think making This is it number one shouldn't be a hard record for Michael to break....Just my opinion...

All of his projects were revolutionary and redefining, that's why it was so big. This is it, as good as it is, was not revolutionary. It was probably the best documentary I have ever witnessed yes, it was easily the best concert movie I will ever see. It will therefore revolutionize those genres.. but not the movie industry as whole. That said, me and my sister alone spent 7 tickets on TII and are preparing to do more than that. But I won't aim so high and be disappointed with the outcomes.

Titanic made $1.8 billion at the box office. This Is It will not be able to do that and its unfair to even expect it to. Even huge blockbusters like Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars haven't been able to challenge it.

We should be happy that a film of rehearsal footage is able to be doing so well already.

Won't happen unfortunately. However, "This Is It" is doing great. All these unrealistic expectations have actually made people undermine the great success of the movie. All this success and it wasn't a proper movie to begin with. Imagine if MJ had a movie in mind.

I wish we could do it!!

i wish it could be possible but in all honest i dont think it will even make the top 10 :unsure:

RANK DOMESTIC OVERSEAS WORLD "" TITLES (1900-2009)

0001 $ 600.8 $ 1234.6 $ 1835.4 Titanic (1997)
0002 $ 377.0 $ 752.2 $ 1129.2 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003)
0003 $ 423.3 $ 637.3 $ 1060.6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
0004 $ 533.3 $ 468.5 $ 1001.8 Dark Knight, The (2008)
0005 $ 317.6 $ 651.1 $ 968.7 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
0006 $ 309.4 $ 649.0 $ 958.4 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
0007 $ 292.0 $ 645.0 $ 937.0 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
0008 $ 301.5 $ 624.0 $ 925.5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
0009 $ 431.1 $ 494.4 $ 925.5 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
0010 $ 341.7 $ 583.5 $ 925.2 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)

Back