TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $101 Million thus far (UPDATE)

$101 Million in 5 days???

:wild: :clapping: :D Ddaanngg Michael! LOL!

I LUV it!!!

The word of mouth is amazing for the movie...I expect it to do well this week.

This is just fantastic! I hope my country would get an extension. I would definetely see it other 4 or 5 times.

Re: Sony Extends 2-Week Limited Run Of Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Through Thanksgiving

Yup
now R.F say dvd will come out January 20th 2010
anyway, I'm really glad it perform so well worldwide

OMG my b'day's on Jan 19. so now I know what I'm gonna get as a b'day present. the problem is I might get 3 or 4 TIIs because everyone I know knows I'm a MJ fan. LOL!

Well now if the film is having its run extended worldwide, then it has a chance of making $200 million altogether at the box office which is pretty impressive. We just have to hope that sales remain strong next week which I hope they will with the good word of mouth.

This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide
AP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091101/ap_en_mu/us_box_office

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer David Germain, Ap Movie Writer – 14 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – "Michael Jackson's This Is It" pulled in $101 million worldwide in its first five days, and distributor Sony is extending the farewell performance film beyond its planned two-week run.

The film was the No. 1 Halloween thriller domestically with a $21.3 million opening weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The previous weekend's No. 1 movie, Paramount's low-budget horror sensation "Paranormal Activity," slipped to No. 2 with $16.5 million, lifting its total to $84.8 million.

"This Is It" raised its domestic total to $32.5 million. The movie pulled in $68.5 million overseas, including $10.4 million in Japan, $6.3 million in Germany, $5.8 million in France and $3.2 million in China.

"He's just loved everywhere on the planet," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony. "It doesn't matter if it's Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, South America. Every continent in the world loved him and his music."

In Great Britain, where Jackson had planned a marathon series of 50 London concerts starting last July, the movie earned $7.6 million.

"This Is It" captures Jackson in behind-the-scenes performances in the weeks before his death last June, as he rehearsed his biggest hits for the London shows.

"This Is It" originally was scheduled for a theatrical run of only two weeks. The studio has extended it a few more weeks domestically, leaving it in theaters through Thanksgiving weekend, one of the year's busiest moviegoing times.

Sony plans to extend the run of "This Is It" overseas on a country-by-country basis, with most territories probably getting one to three weeks of extra playing time, Bruer said.

The studio paid $60 million for film rights to Jackson's rehearsal footage, an investment the movie recouped in days.

"They bet $60 million on this and got $101 million in just five days," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. "It was a gamble and a bet that paid off."

The movie fell far short of last year's $31.1 million opening weekend domestically for "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert." But Bruer said "This Is It" has a shot at surpassing the $65.3 million domestic total during the entire run of Cyrus' movie, which tops the all-time charts for music documentaries.

Worldwide, "This Is It" already has shot past Cyrus' concert film. Cyrus mainly appeals to American teens, and her movie got only a limited release overseas, where it took in about $5 million to give the film a global total of just over $70 million.

"This Is It" played in 3,481 theaters domestically, about five times the number for Cyrus' movie. But "Best of Both Worlds" ran in 3-D, for which theaters typically charge a few dollars more.

And Cyrus' young fans are an audience segment that tends to rush out to see movies over opening weekend, the movie doing nearly half its business in the first few days.

Sony hopes for a longer shelf life for "This Is It," which drew older crowds that catch movies on their own schedule, with less regard for the opening-weekend frenzy. Fans older than 25 accounted for 62 percent of the audience, according to Sony.

While "Paranormal Activity" led Halloween's scary movies, an established horror franchise lost its fear factor as Lionsgate's "Saw VI" fell sharply in its second weekend after an anemic debut.

"Saw VI" came in at No. 5 this weekend with $5.6 million, raising its total to just $22.8 million after 10 days. Previous sequels in the serial-killer series all had topped $30 million during opening weekend alone.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com; final figures will be released Monday:

Jackson tragedy begets cinematic triumph (Reuters)

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - For "This Is It," Michael Jackson's planned 50-concert residency at London's O2 Arena, the star's sudden death really could have been "it," with millions of dollars lost for producer/promoter AEG Live and the star's vision never realized.

Instead, the movie and music divisions of Sony have a film and soundtrack to sell, and AEG will share in the proceeds. But neither would have happened if the companies hadn't had fire-drill-paced meetings to turn a human tragedy into what is already being described as a creative and financial triumph.

On October 26, Sony's Epic label released the double-disc set "This Is It" to coincide with the release of the movie of the same name, which arrived in theaters to critical acclaim October 28 and grossed $101 million worldwide during its first five days.

"The film answers a lot of questions," says Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony Music. "I can't comment on a lot of issues that were going on with Michael, nor can anyone else, it's very difficult. But you want to know that he was still a fantastic entertainer, that he still cared, that he was still musically amazing. And all those things are just obvious in this film."
The saga began with the announcement last March of Jackson's string of shows at the O2, the result of two years of talks between Jackson and AEG Live. The ideas discussed included a tour, a few shows and, finally, a residency.

"It took a while for (Jackson) to get comfortable with this, but when he finally made the decision that he wanted to do something, we were in the unique position where London was obviously the perfect place to do it," says AEG CEO Tim Leiweke.

Ticket sales for the initial 10 shows blew up at the box office, and the number of dates was raised to 50. Although all parties were taken aback by the demand, Leiweke says Jackson was fully committed to 50 shows, despite reports to the contrary. "We've heard all of the speculation and opinions out there, but the reality is this is something Michael wanted to do," he says.

Conceptually, Leiweke says the production was "all Michael's" vision -- and that vision was expensive. "It was budgeted to be $12 million, but Michael had big dreams and big vision," Leiweke says. "By the time we were ready to go to London we were at $35 million."
In March Jackson reached out to Frank DiLeo, who managed him during a spectacular '80s run.

"Even though he fired me, Michael was still my friend. We never lost the friendship," says DiLeo, who had "no hesitation" about coming back to work for Jackson. "I was extremely excited about being back with him, because we were a magical team in the '80s. He missed it, I missed it."
As rehearsals got under way, public skepticism turned into anticipation. Even the rehearsals two nights before Jackson's death "were extraordinary," Leiweke says. "Everyone came out of there talking about how incredible it was."

The June 24 rehearsal didn't run as long, Leiweke says, and Jackson spent much of that time reviewing video production elements. "He wasn't taxing his voice that night because he was getting ready for London," Leiweke says.

At 12:30 p.m. June 25, Leiweke received a call informing him Jackson had been taken to the hospital. "Like the rest of the world, we were on the outside," he says. "Randy (Phillips, AEG Live's CEO) didn't know specifics until he got to the hospital, and by then, unfortunately, it was our worst scenario. It was shocking because what we knew was he was healthy -- of that we were certain."
As word of Jackson's death spread, AEG had no time to mourn. The company shifted from preproduction to damage control.

"A lot of decisions were made between Tim Leiweke and myself on cell phone while I was standing outside the emergency room," Phillips says. "The first thing we did was have our security close off Staples Center, shut down the production and put all of our intellectual property into the vault at Staples Center so nobody could get near it or leave with it."
As Jackson's death became a media circus, Leiweke ordered Staples officials to turn arena into a fortress. "We locked the building down and said, 'No one goes in and no one goes out,'" Leiweke says.

The instructions were clear: No pictures of the set, no one in Jackson's dressing room, no one touches anything. "We fired a couple of employees because they took pictures of the stage, and we thought that was inappropriate."

Jackson died on a Thursday, which meant AEG executives in London and the company's Los Angeles headquarters had a marathon meeting. They started trying to figure out what to do about their investment, even as the words "financial disaster" started to creep into news reports.

"We weren't thinking that way," Leiweke says. "We knew we were in a bad spot and dealing with a crisis, but we believed eventually we'd work our way out of this. Needless to say, those were really difficult, long days -- bad days -- but I don't think we ever panicked. We had faith that we would eventually find a way to come out of this and recoup the investment."

The decision that saved "This Is It" -- as both AEG's investment and Jackson's legacy -- had been made weeks before. Rehearsals had been filmed, and it is that edited footage that became the Sony Pictures film.

"I said, 'We've got to archive your comeback because this is going to be historical,' and (Jackson) agreed," Phillips says. "We never expected it to be a movie. This was really for his personal archives -- and also to be B-roll and behind-the-scenes footage that probably would have been a DVD concert film."

Within days of Jackson's death, AEG started editing the rehearsal footage into a narrative at AEG's L.A. Live facilities. "Under armed guards we had the editors working for three weeks collating 130 hours (of footage) and distilling it down to three-and-a-half hours in the first pass," Phillips says. "And then we took 12 minutes of that and used it as a demo."

Up until longtime Jackson associates John Branca and John McClain, who had been named executors in Jackson's will, were officially named administrators July 6, AEG had been able to act unilaterally. There was some doubt about who would control Jackson's estate, and "we didn't event know there was a will for over a week," Phillips says. As those details were resolved, however, AEG began negotiating with the executors and attorneys to determine how to proceed.

Four bid on "This Is It": Universal, Fox, Paramount and Sony, which submitted the winning bid of $65 million, including $5 million for AEG's editing costs, according to Phillips.

One particular meeting stands out for Phillips. "The first marketing meeting I had at Sony Pictures, there were about 40 people in this conference room, and what blew my mind was the fact that this little movie, this HD footage of Michael Jackson, was getting the attention of a whole studio. They just absolutely stopped to focus on this project," he says. "And I was thinking to myself just how much Michael would have loved this, because it was so over the top."

On August 10, Los Angeles Superior Court approved a deal that Jackson's estate would get 90 percent of the film's net revenue, with the remainder going to AEG. (AEG will also receive revenue from the soundtrack.) That's a small percentage, considering that AEG put up the investment.
"I'm sure some would argue that this is a small percentage to take for that much risk and that much work," Leiweke says, "but we didn't want there to be any doubt as to our priorities here, which is to try and protect the best interests of the estate."

The "This Is It" film was created by the same team that had been working on the concerts, including director Kenny Ortega and choreographer Travis Payne.

As AEG worked to put together the movie and its soundtrack, it took shots from Jackson family members and others that the company is more interested in profits than in promoting Jackson's legacy. For his part, Phillips shrugs it off.

"The problem with Michael is his death is as messy as his life was," he says. "Everyone's looking for a villain. Sometimes there isn't a villain -- there's just bad circumstances and bad luck, and that is what this was."

Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/jackson-tragedy-begets-cinematic-triumph-reuters

'This Is It' wins weekend box office

Entertainment Weekly) -- Halloween audiences picked beats over blood this weekend, pushing "Michael Jackson's This Is It" to the top spot, while horror phenomenon "Paranormal Activity" scored a strong second-place finish.

With a $21.3 million domestic gross, "This Is It" raised its worldwide total to a massive $101 million that easily breaks the record for a concert doc, though it falls far short of the $250 million that concert promoter AEG reportedly predicted.

Even so, the performance was good enough to convince distributor Sony (which acquired the pic for a mere $60 million) to announce that the concert pic will remain in theaters at least until Thanksgiving.

Still beating expectations in its third wide-release weekend, the sleeper hit "Paranormal Activity" dropped just 22 percent for a $16.5 million haul. At $84.8 million total after six weekends, the surprise smash is now the year's highest grossing horror movie.

Looking for a thrill? Check out the 20 scariest movies of all time
Rounding out the top five are holdovers "Law Abiding Citizen" ($7.3 million), "Couples Retreat," ($6.1 million), and "Saw VI" ($5.6 million).
The weekend's two other newbies both had lukewarm receptions in wide release: "The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day" made $0.5 million at 68 theaters, while "Gentlemen Broncos" earned $10,000 at two sites.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/01/boxoffice.this.is.it.ew/index.html

'This Is It' wins weekend box office

With a $21.3 million domestic gross, "This Is It" raised its worldwide total to a massive $101 million that easily breaks the record for a concert doc, though it falls far short of the $250 million that concert promoter AEG reportedly predicted.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/01/boxoffice.this.is.it.ew/index.html

Okay, now every article is going to quote that stupid $250m slip-up by AEG. The movie has performed right on the path of inside track, if any of these guys bothered to look at studio projections 2-3 weeks prior to Wed's opening, they should know it always pointed at mid-30s to low 40s 5-day domestic haul. Basically TII outperformed in Japan, in line in Britain/France and underperformed a bit in NA, but essentially right on target averaging out. I'm happy they've decided to extend Japan run by another 2 weeks, it is exceptionally well received there.

Okay, now every article is going to quote that stupid $250m slip-up by AEG. The movie has performed right on the path of inside track, if any of these guys bothered to look at studio projections 2-3 weeks prior to Wed's opening, they should know it always pointed at mid-30s to low 40s 5-day domestic haul. Basically TII outperformed in Japan, in line in Britain/France and underperformed a bit in NA, but essentially right on target averaging out. I'm happy they've decided to extend Japan run by another 2 weeks, it is exceptionally well received there.

They said they're extending the film all over, not just Japan, on the news today. All the way into Thanksgiving as a matter of fact.

oh yeah..$101 Million and still counting!

Huffingtonpost.com's Scott Mendelson say's it best in regards to the so-called "dissapointing" numbers TII has garnered so-far...

This Is It Becomes the World's Highest-Grossing Concert Film in History

Michael Jackson's This Is It grossed $32.5 million in five-days, which gives it a surprisingly high 4.4x multiplier on its $7.4 million opening Wednesday. It's three-day weekend take was $21 million, more than enough to be number 01 for the weekend. In just five days, the $60 million acquisition has become the third-highest grossing concert film of all time, behind the $65 million gross of Hanna Montana: Best of Both Worlds and the alleged (via many releases) $50 million gross of 1970's Woodstock. Internationally, Sony is claiming a $101 million debut session. This Is It is now the highest-grossing concert film of all time in just five days, easily eclipsing the $71 million worldwide total of the 3D Hanna Montana film. This is a rock-solid debut, no matter what Nikki Finke tries to tell you.

I've said this many times before. Box office punditry, with analysts, trackers, and armchair pundits trying to guess what the weekend's box office will be, is NOT anything more than a game. It is a fun game, one which I've partaken in for nearly twenty-years. But my predictions are not news. They are not measures for which to judge whether a movie opened successfully or poorly. They are a game. Taken any more seriously than that, box office pre-release punditry can be a dangerous tool for one studio to spread a narrative of failure based on nothing more than a random prediction. It's the same game that gets played in politics. For example, the GOP sells a narrative that Kerry or Obama will go up 15 points after the convention. The media bites, they fail to do the math, and then the official story is that the Dems are flopping when they only get a 7 point bounce. If I'm a rival studio, would it not be in my best interest to spread word that Michael Jackson's This Is It was sure to gross at least $90 million in its first five days? Then, after said prediction becomes the narrative of choice in the entertainment press, would it not be in my best interest to exclaim shock that said motion picture did not open to my completely made-up predictions? And it would be pretty easy, since when one of the most widely-read columnists in the business lives and breathes by proclaiming and reveling in alleged failure at every turn.

This is something I've talked about for nearly a decade. I first noticed it during the run-up to Blair Witch 2, when the pundits inexplicably predicted a $30 million opening. The myth that this was a possibility caused the film to be rendered a flop when it opened to a reasonable $13 million (why would anyone expect a sequel to a half-loved/half-loathed cult film to open higher than the much-anticipated original?). It happened in May 2001, when rival studio execs sold the lie that Pearl Harbor could top $100 million+ in four days, and then called the film a flop when it did $75 million. And it wasn't Universal that sold the myth that Peter Jackson's King Kong was a genuine threat to Titanic's $600 million domestic gross. But they are the ones who got burned when the $200 million-budgeted film ended up being labeled an under-achiever despite grossing $550 million worldwide. And be sure to pay very close attention in the next two months as to who is hawking what box office predictions for James Cameron's Avatar. It sure won't be Fox tossing out pie-in-the-sky predictions of untold box-office glory. It will be 'unnamed studio execs' from Warner Bros (Sherlock Holmes opens a week later) or Universal (It's Complicated is the main adult-draw of the holiday season). Or it might be armchair pundits hoping to raise expectations so they can write juicy stories of failure when the movie doesn't live up to their arbitrary standards.

Under normal circumstances, this numbers game would be harmless fun. The problem is that, especially after Titanic, box office punditry has become a mainstream sport, not just the cult game played by insiders and film nerds like me. And when (at best) glorified educated guesses or intentionally misleading pronouncements are taken as serious mathematics, then there are serious consequences for the films in play. It happened to Dreamworks, when business analysts couldn't understand why Madagascar hadn't performed like Shrek 2 (their stock took a major hit after Memorial Day 2005). It happened when Charlie's Angels was inexplicably expected to open to $70 million (nearly double the first film's $40 million opening) or Watchmen was absolutely expected to open to at least $70 million just because it had the same director as 300. And it will happen to each and every new Marvel film because people who don't get it will expect every future Marvel film (Thor, Ant Man, etc) to perform like Iron Man. And it will have serious consequences because the opinions of said know-nothings will be taken as news and/or gospel.

That's not to say that those involved with This Is It are blameless in the potential 'under-performer' narrative now attempting to be sold. AEG stupidly proclaimed last month that the picture could gross $250 million in its first-five days based on pre-release online ticket sales. Of course, the rantings of a sports and concert company should have been taken every bit as seriously as sports predictions from Wolfgang Puck. This prediction was followed by the infamous 'unnamed rival studio exec' and his $90 million domestic prediction, which is turn led to stories about how every ticket would be sold out and every screening would be packed all weekend. I've always argued that the first five-day gross of Star Wars: Episode One: The Phantom Menace was hurt by know-nothing commentators swearing that every seat would be sold out over opening weekend. Little surprise that many of the casual fans did in fact attend during weekend two, contributing to a mere 20% drop. Yet it's 'underwhelming' first weekend ($64 million in three days, a then-record $105 million in five-days) led to the overall narrative that The Phantom Menace was a box office disappointment, despite eventually grossing $431 million. We saw a similar narrative with This Is It and, I'd argue, similar consequences.

So now, having grossed $101 million in five days, Sony pictures must now fight the fiction that the picture was a relative disappointment. The most amusing part is that there was absolutely no way that anyone could have reasonably predicted how much this thing would gross. Yes, I'm sure lucky guesses abounded in the Box Office Mojo weekend derby, but anything other than gut-level intuition was impossible as there was no precedent to base this picture on. How many other 'hastily-edited-together 110-minute documentaries containing raw rehearsal footage of a concert that never happened released in order to cash in on the unexpected death of its star- arguably the most famous entertainer on earth' have there been? I'm not saying those who correctly guessed $32 million in five days and $21 million in three don't deserve a high-five, but there was no excuse for anyone trying to build any 'reasonable expectations' for this once-in-a-lifetime type situation. It's fine and dandy to have your own guesses, but it's quite another when random guesstimates are taken as actual news and/or the bar for minimum perception of success. Point being, any number that comes in before the actual opening day estimates is a guess, a prediction hopefully based on math or history, but often just based on either random thoughts or intentional misinformation.

Re: `This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

`This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

LOS ANGELES - "Michael Jackson's This Is It" is the No. 1 Halloween thriller for movie audiences.

"This Is It" led the weekend box office with a domestic debut of $21.3 million and raised its five-day total worldwide to $101 million.
The low-budget horror sensation "Paranormal Activity" slipped from first-place to second domestically with $16.5 million. "Paranormal Activity" raised its total to $84.8 million.

"This Is It" captures Jackson in behind-the-scenes performances in the weeks before his death in June, as he rehearsed his biggest hits for a marathon concert stand that was to begin in July.

Distributor Sony paid $60 million for the film rights and released "This Is It" simultaneously for a limited run worldwide.

Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/this-it39-tops-charts-with-101m-worldwide-ap

the article heading should read:

This is It is the highest grossing music doc in history - $101 Mil in 5 days

there were many many doubters especially in the media .. comparing him to who?...Miley who made $65mil worldwide for a movie that was out 8weeks+..

and Michael made $101mil in 5days.............there should be no crows flying around...its dinner time, haters......eat up!!!

^^^

Lol! You said it all. Michael did great and showed the haters as always. I'm very pleased with the reception the movie has gotten. GO MJ!

babykinsilk05, thank you for that extremely interesting article about box office punditry from the Huffington Post. I know nothing about the movie industry, so reading that article sheds some light on all of these high numbers floating around about TII before it opened.

Well, it's no surprise that people wanted to overhype Michael and watch him possibly fail. Except this time, it's not really him, it's Sony. I just didn't know that there was an actual name to the game!

I just wanted to say that this movie is simply amazing considering what Kenny had to work with. This footage was never meant to be made into a film and somehow Kenny was able to put it together. In an interview, he said something like he would be on the floor in the editing room so frustrated because he wanted to get things just right and the rehearsal footage just was never meant to be a feature film. I think those in Hollywood know how unusual this movie truly is and how it's probably a miracle that it has been put together so well.

I really do hope that media emphasize that it is the #1 movie of the wknd and that it $101 million worldwide (I noticed that this was a SONY claim, so we gotta be prepared if it wasn't exactly the truth). I hope they emphasize that the majority of critics are recommending it and that the people are truly enjoying the movie. Michael deserves some positive praise for once. I hope they respect him.

I think this film will win the race slow and steady. I think the numbers it has generated so far is more than we could ask for considering the holiday wknd and the 3 week extension will give everyone who wanted to see it a chance. Plus, now we have word of mouth!

Didn't Thriller start out slow and then rapidly pick up after some months and then all of a sudden you have the biggest selling album of all time?!?! ;)

speak on it, elmari:D

Go MJ! :punk:

In the words of Michael...

“'Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"

and this film was the TRUTH!

AND it was just his REHEARSALS!!! :laugh:

Imagine if he had been able to do the tour, then put that in the theaters...

:wild: WOOOOOoooooo!!!

Miley my behind :doh:

Re: `This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

`This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

LOS ANGELES - "Michael Jackson's This Is It" is the No. 1 Halloween thriller for movie audiences.

"This Is It" led the weekend box office with a domestic debut of $21.3 million and raised its five-day total worldwide to $101 million.
The low-budget horror sensation "Paranormal Activity" slipped from first-place to second domestically with $16.5 million. "Paranormal Activity" raised its total to $84.8 million.

"This Is It" captures Jackson in behind-the-scenes performances in the weeks before his death in June, as he rehearsed his biggest hits for a marathon concert stand that was to begin in July.

Distributor Sony paid $60 million for the film rights and released "This Is It" simultaneously for a limited run worldwide.

Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/this-it39-tops-charts-with-101m-worldwide-ap

He beat Miley Cyrus! He beat that whiny little disney brat! YES! :clap:

awww yeah! :punk:

Miley loves Michael so cut her some slack people :yes:

oh, and, GO MIKE!!!! :D

he'd be really happy with the numbers... that's all I know. I'm gonna see it again this week. I've seen it three times so far...

Re: This Is It grossed 2.2 millions only for midnight screening

that's right. earth shattering for not only an earth shattering, hard working entertainer, but for a wonderful human being who deserves it.

No just earth shattering - shatter it all the way up to Heaven so Mike can see and feel it too!

Anyone now at the right mind at Sony/AEG/MJ Estate will think that people saw Michael rehearsing and they must be looking forward to see him live, so I believe previous concerts could probably be released on DVD/BD later, especially the History Tour which was recorded many times from different countries. It is not enough that those concerts are available in community forums, they should be officially released and handled by a capable distributor and to be widespread to the majorities who don’t dig up forums and fan clubs.

Re: Michael Jackson film dances to No. 1 worldwide

Michael Jackson film dances to No. 1 worldwide

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Michael Jackson's much-hyped concert movie reigned at the worldwide box office on Sunday, but its performance in North America was hardly a thriller.

"This Is It," composed mostly of rehearsal footage recorded in the weeks before the "King of Pop's" death in June, earned an estimated $101 million in the five days since opening globally on Wednesday, distributor Columbia Pictures said.

Moviegoers in the United States and Canada contributed $32.5 million. In the days leading up to its opening, industry forecasters had said it could earn at least $40 million.

Columbia said it had hoped for an opening in the $30 million to $40 million range.

"This has always, always been a worldwide play," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution at Columbia's parent Sony Corp. "We're very happy with the results domestically, but ecstatic with the worldwide."

Top territories included Japan with $10.4 million, Britain with $7.6 million, Germany with $6.3 million, France with $5.8 million, Australia with $3.6 million and China with $3.2 million.

Rival studios, perhaps looking to put Sony in the hot seat, had been particularly bullish about the film. One executive, requesting anonymity, predicted the film could make $660 million globally during its limited two-week run -- $260 million domestically and $400 million internationally.

Columbia had shied away from issuing global forecasts because of a dearth of comparable concert films. The record for such movies is held by "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus -- Best of Both Worlds," which earned $65 million domestically last year.

The film's prospects were not helped by Halloween, which fell on a Saturday for the first time since 1998, siphoning off a large swathe of potential North American moviegoers on the biggest night of the week.

Columbia said it extended the planned two-week limited run in North America through Thanksgiving (November 29). Foreign territories will extend the run on a case-by-case basis.

The studio paid Jackson's estate and closely held concert promoter AEG about $60 million for the rights, but will deduct the production costs from its tab. As for box office revenues, which are usually split evenly with movie theater owners, Sony will share its haul with the estate and AEG according to a complex, undisclosed formula.

Columbia's sister company, Sony Music, has done much better with Jackson's recordings. His albums have sold more than 5.7 million copies this year in the United States, according to tracking firm Nielsen SoundScan.

For the traditional three-day period, beginning Friday, "This Is It" earned $21.3 million.

Last weekend's North American champ, Paramount Pictures' micro-budget horror flick "Paranormal Activity," slipped to No. 2 with $16.5 million in its sixth weekend, taking its total to $84.8 million. Paramount is a unit of Viacom Inc.

No other new releases dared compete with Halloween festivities.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Eric Walsh)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091101/film_nm/us_boxoffice_1;_ylt=AqvpnblbuiNVUD7w5AJ0zsWuR5Z4

Can't those people do anything properly? First they release essentially a greatest hits album with very sparse new material and with songs everyone has many times over,. Then they release the film at a time when a large segment of the potential viewing audience can't/won't watch the film. Are they incompetent or are they deliberately trying to sabotage Michael's legacy? As time goes on, the general public will lose interest in him and each botched campaign alienates everyone, fans and the casually interested alike.

Can't those people do anything properly? First they release essentially a greatest hits album with very sparse new material and with songs everyone has many times over,. Then they release the film at a time when a large segment of the potential viewing audience can't/won't watch the film. Are they incompetent or are they deliberately trying to sabotage Michael's legacy? As time goes on, the general public will lose interest in him and each botched campaign alienates everyone, fans and the casually interested alike.

If the public didn’t lose interest in Elvis then there is NO WAY in this world they will forget or lose interest in Michael…

Sony (without doubt) is capitalizing on fans loyalty but against all odds TII album reserved its place at #1. TII movie broke the records already for a documentary or a concert movie combined. Don’t allow those reporters to affect your opinion, I think Halloween is mainly celebrated in US not in many other countries around the world.

Re: Sony Extends 2-Week Limited Run Of Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Through Thanksgiving

OMG my b'day's on Jan 19. so now I know what I'm gonna get as a b'day present. the problem is I might get 3 or 4 TIIs because everyone I know knows I'm a MJ fan. LOL!

My birthday is on Jan. 16th...It's HAS TO BE My B-Day Present...Or I'll get it!!!

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged)

Well done MJ!!!

The movie should rightfully stay in theater through thanksgiving...Give a chance for people in North America to discover the movie. Sony cannot ignore the VERY strong word of mouth. It takes a bit for the reviews to sink in and the effect to show.

I absolutely second that, and i'm glad it was heared by sony.
Listen people, the movie did fine, is doing fine, and will do fine. And not only worldwide but in US-gross as well. People should STOP talking about the movie and MJ being essentially a worldwide (and not an american) hit!Michael has his largest fan-base in the US, where a whole series of generations have grown listening to him since he was a child. There is a lasting connection between MJ and the American public, I always believed that; it's there, whether active or just subconscious..

Sony should keep the good press and the word of mouth going, EMPHASIZING HOW STEADILY WELL THE MOVIE IS DOING IN THE US!!
It's stupid to say "it grossed more internationally than in the US"; cause the world market is bigger than the us market, so if a movie does well in both it will naturally gross more worldwide..

To put shortly the conclusion on what should be done for as long as it remains in the theaters, I say that we -and sony- should keep the promotion and the word of mouth about it, and do what we can to spread the good reports and limit publicity like this one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33575277#33575277

BEWARE EVERYONE: NOW is the time to prevent the movie going 'dry' of good reports and record-breaking references at the media.. We must all help it keep the glow it has had on public eye till now for the rest of the coming weeks, and that this doesn't fade as other openings come out.. IT MUST HOLD STEADY!!..
And I'm sure by Thanksgiving most will give it a shot and go see it!

Last edited:

well, I HATE defending Sony but did you look at the fall movie schedule? There are blockbusters scheduled to be released every friday starting this week until the Xmas.

I think they took a great chance releasing it on a weekend where there wasn't any big releases...even though it is dead movie weekend.

They thought MJ could pull people in and guess what, HE DID.

They are not that stupid, they want to make more money than you do, if they could have brought it to theater any other more lucrative day, they would have.

I like how SOME fans always act like they know best than the people in the industry...that's what I call delusional.

Ok, I'm So happy that the movie got $101Mil. But I dont get it. is it $101Mil in 5 days? around the world? or are they saying that its the estimate for the whole?

Someone Please explain it to me...I'm clueless on these kinds of topics...:cheeky:

And watch this vid. Its NOT the best...but i got confused after watching this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33575277#33575277

Back