TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: Sony Extends 2-Week Limited Run Of Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Through Thanksgiving

duh!!!! So that's why the dvd isn't coming out until January.
Silly little men

Re: `This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

Finke is a hater so i won't waste my time with him.

God bless everyone who went to see the movie.

Re: Sony Extends 2-Week Limited Run Of Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Through Thanksgiving

duh!!!! So that's why the dvd isn't coming out until January.
Silly little men

no the dvd is not coming out because the theater owners do not want sony to put it out before xmas. Sony had to respect the previous agreement between theater owners & Hollywood studios.

Re: `This Is It' tops charts with $101M worldwide (AP)

At the end, what count is the numbers
Gongrtaulations to every fan worldwide, Mj deserve this

now we have to wait and see how well the album did

also expect huge sales for the dvd
album is #1 on amazon
dvd is also #1 on amazon (pre-orders)

Last edited:

no the dvd is not coming out because the theater owners do not want sony to put it out before xmas. Sony had to respect the previous agreement between theater owners & Hollywood studios.
well, i thought that there had to be a certain amount of time between the theater and putting it out on dvd.

Some people didnt believe R.F. when he first reported that!

Michael Jackson film dances to No. 1 worldwide

Michael Jackson film dances to No. 1 worldwide

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Michael Jackson's much-hyped concert movie reigned at the worldwide box office on Sunday, but its performance in North America was hardly a thriller.

"This Is It," composed mostly of rehearsal footage recorded in the weeks before the "King of Pop's" death in June, earned an estimated $101 million in the five days since opening globally on Wednesday, distributor Columbia Pictures said.

Moviegoers in the United States and Canada contributed $32.5 million. In the days leading up to its opening, industry forecasters had said it could earn at least $40 million.

Columbia said it had hoped for an opening in the $30 million to $40 million range.

"This has always, always been a worldwide play," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution at Columbia's parent Sony Corp. "We're very happy with the results domestically, but ecstatic with the worldwide."

Top territories included Japan with $10.4 million, Britain with $7.6 million, Germany with $6.3 million, France with $5.8 million, Australia with $3.6 million and China with $3.2 million.

Rival studios, perhaps looking to put Sony in the hot seat, had been particularly bullish about the film. One executive, requesting anonymity, predicted the film could make $660 million globally during its limited two-week run -- $260 million domestically and $400 million internationally.

Columbia had shied away from issuing global forecasts because of a dearth of comparable concert films. The record for such movies is held by "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus -- Best of Both Worlds," which earned $65 million domestically last year.

The film's prospects were not helped by Halloween, which fell on a Saturday for the first time since 1998, siphoning off a large swathe of potential North American moviegoers on the biggest night of the week.

Columbia said it extended the planned two-week limited run in North America through Thanksgiving (November 29). Foreign territories will extend the run on a case-by-case basis.

The studio paid Jackson's estate and closely held concert promoter AEG about $60 million for the rights, but will deduct the production costs from its tab. As for box office revenues, which are usually split evenly with movie theater owners, Sony will share its haul with the estate and AEG according to a complex, undisclosed formula.

Columbia's sister company, Sony Music, has done much better with Jackson's recordings. His albums have sold more than 5.7 million copies this year in the United States, according to tracking firm Nielsen SoundScan.

For the traditional three-day period, beginning Friday, "This Is It" earned $21.3 million.

Last weekend's North American champ, Paramount Pictures' micro-budget horror flick "Paranormal Activity," slipped to No. 2 with $16.5 million in its sixth weekend, taking its total to $84.8 million. Paramount is a unit of Viacom Inc.

No other new releases dared compete with Halloween festivities.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Eric Walsh)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091101/film_nm/us_boxoffice_1;_ylt=AqvpnblbuiNVUD7w5AJ0zsWuR5Z4

This Is It run extended with amazing results of $101 million worldwide

First look: 'This Is It' won't quit, takes $101 million worldwide; run extended to November 26th in the USA
November 1, 2009 | 9:14 am
Though it didn't live up to the outsize hype and had only a mixed start domestically, "This Is It" is looking like something of a worldwide hit.

The behind-the-scenes look at rehearsals for the late Michael Jackson's concert grossed $101 million over its first five days, more than two-thirds of which came from the 97 foreign territories, where it opened simultaneously Wednesday.

Although that's on the low end of what many at Sony Pictures and around Hollywood had expected given huge anticipation among fans for the film, it's a solid start given that the studio spent $60 million to make "This Is It" and marketing costs weren't too large.

Despite the movie's so-so start in the U.S. and Canada on Wednesday, domestic grosses stayed steady over the weekend, totaling $21.3 million Friday through Sunday. Although many predicted that Halloween falling on a Saturday could be disastrous for the picture, ticket sales declined only modestly from Friday, a sign of good word of mouth for "This Is It," which got an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore, from those who attended on opening day.

Sony got much better news overseas, however, where "This Is It" has grossed $68.5 million through Sunday, a healthy start that confirmed the studio's hope that the movie would perform significantly better in foreign countries, where Jackson's famous personal issues have not made as big of a public impact.

Concert movies typically fall off very fast at the box office, but given its strong word of mouth and decent play on Saturday despite the holiday, "This Is It" has a shot at breaking that trend and ultimately grossing about $200 million worldwide. Sony clearly has its eyes on that prize as it has, to the surprise of few in Hollywood, extended the movie's run beyond the previously announced two week. "This Is It" will play until Thanksgiving weekend in the U.S., about as long as any movie that opens now would keep showing, and have runs of varying lengths overseas.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/box_office/

No it is true and Sony weren't happy about missing the xmas sale.

But they had no choice the theater owners were not happy about all the talk of Sony not respecting the 90-day agreement between the end of a movie's run in the theater and the release on DVD.

I guess they figured since they are not gonna get it out for Xmas, might as well extend it.

So now the movie won't be released on dvd until end of January or beginning of february.

So much for my Christmas present, but I'm glad for MJ's children. :)

If its extended in the USA, Its 100% sure that it will be extended in Europe too. Its more popular in Europe..

No it is true and Sony weren't happy about missing the xmas sale.

But they had no choice the theater owners were not happy about all the talk of Sony not respecting the 90-day agreement between the end of a movie's run in the theater and the release on DVD.

I guess they figured since they are not gonna get it out for Xmas, might as well extend it.

So now the movie won't be released on dvd until end of January or beginning of february.

oh, so I was right :D

this was going to happen, isnt this reporter the one who said that Michael Jackson's This Is It was not going to be bigger than the hanna montanma concert film???? if its the same a big :tease:ahahahah for her/him

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $101 Million thus far (UPDATE)

This Is It earned $68.5 million internationally, far more than us. normally, hollywood movies had much higher boxoffice in us than other counties. "Cyrus' movie, which did just $5.4 million overseas". He is the king of the world. no one could even come closer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup
now R.F say dvd will come out January 20th 2010
anyway, I'm really glad it perform so well worldwide

Last edited:

Domestic:

28.10: $7,445,661 (1.)
29.10: $3,762,871 (1.)
30.10: $7,850,000 (1.) (estimate)
31.10:
$7,100,000 (1.) (estimate)
01.11: $6,350,000 (1.) (estimate)
Domestic Totally: $32,509,000 (Worldwide: $45,209,000 (not up to date))

All time Domestic ranking: 1717
2009 Domestic ranking: 68

Weekend (estimate):

1 N Michael Jackson's This Is It Sony $21,300,000 - 3,481 - $6,119 $32,509,000 - 1 2 1 Paranormal Activity Par. $16,540,000 -21.6% 2,404 +459 $6,880 $84,780,000 $0.015 6 3 4 Law Abiding Citizen Over. $7,303,000 -41.1% 2,764 -126 $2,642 $51,385,000 $50 3 4 5 Couples Retreat Uni. $6,097,000 -42.6% 3,026 -48 $2,015 $86,663,000 $70 4 5 2 Saw VI LGF $5,560,000 -60.6% 3,036 - $1,831 $22,824,000 $11 2 6 3 Where the Wild Things Are WB $5,081,000 -63.8% 3,645 -90 $1,394 $61,800,000 $100 3 7 8 The Stepfather (2009) SGem $3,400,000 -45.4% 2,346 -388 $1,449 $24,748,000 $20 3 8 6 Astro Boy Sum. $3,035,000 -54.7% 3,020 +6 $1,005 $10,891,000 $65 2 9 11 Amelia FoxS $3,000,000 -23.2% 1,070 +250 $2,804 $8,306,000 $40 2 10 7 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant Uni. $2,809,000 -55.4% 2,754 - $1,020 $10,521,000 $40 2

Worldwide: $45,209,000

so why are reports saying it made 100 mill WW?

Oh My God thank you for this amazing update. When I went to see it again last night, it was packed. I am so happy right now I could cry. All I wanted was MJ to be number 1 all over entertainment and my prayer answered double fold.....101 mill omg. :D

not up to date. like i said.

Oh My God thank you for this amazing update. When I went to see it again last night, it was packed. I am so happy right now I could cry. All I wanted was MJ to be number 1 all over entertainment and my prayer answered double fold.....101 mill omg. :D

Do you live in ISA ? which town ?

Back