TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged)

Michael has the #1 movie so far and will have the number one album next week. It's not a blockbuster movie like say Transformers or something. It's doing well esp. for a documentary and the reviews are excellent overall. Stop the complaining, geesh. We should be celebrating. Everyone needs to stop being so negative.

From a insider, TII made $7,9 million on Friday for a total of $19 million in North America

'This Is It' continues to transfix auds
Michael Jackson concert doc raises B.O. to $19.1 million

By ANTHONY D'ALESSANDRO

Concert doc "Michael Jackson’s This Is It" from Sony Pictures continued to dominate the box office in its third day ringing up $7.9 million at 3,481 venues for a running cume of $19.1 million.
For Sony, "This Is It" looks to mark the studio’s seventh No. 1 opener this year at the box office after the release of "Zombieland" earlier this month. While the $7.4 million opening day of "This Is It" on Wednesday charted under the $8.6 million first Friday of Disney’s "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour," the Michael Jackson pic has outperformed the opening days of other music docs including Disney’s "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" ($5 million) and Paramount’s "Tupac: Resurrection" ($2.2 million).

Halloween weekend moviegoers were picky about their horror choices yesterday, embracing Paramount’s "Paranormal Activity" which notched second with $6 million and retreating from Lionsgate’s "Saw VI’ which took sixth with $1.9 million.

Par’s further expansion of "Paranormal" from 1,945 to 2,404 enabled the indie pic to maintain a decent hold with only a 20% dip from a week ago. Since its bow on Sept. 25, "Paranormal" has racked up an estimated $74.2 million.

The sharp 73% decline for "Saw VI" on 3,036 isn’t uncommon for the franchise as its previous two chapters have seen second Friday declines lower than 70%. To date, the pic has grossed $19.2 million.

Overture Films’ "Law Abiding Citizen" ranked third with $2.42 million off 2,764, a 39% decline and a current B.O. of $46.5 million.

Universal’s "Couples Retreat" remains buoyant in the top five in its fourth Friday, making $2.38 million off 3,026 in fourth, repping a 35% decline from a week ago. The Vince Vaughn comedy has accumulated $83 million at the domestic B.O.

Warner Bros.’ "Where the Wild Things Are" owned fifth with $1.95 million off 3,645, down 55% for a $58.7 million domestic B.O. at the onset of its third sesh.

A year ago, another type of musical pic, Disney’s "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" took the top spot at the Halloween weekend frame with $15.3 million. "Saw V" won the Friday of that weekend in its second sesh with $3.2 million beating "High School’s" $1.7 million. However, weekend matinees wound up fueling the final figures for the G-rated Disney pic.

source. Vairety.com

I believe we should lower our expectations and be happy that many people saw the movie and now they have a very positive opinion about Michael, and the ones who did not see it at least they heard about it or read reviews and they will defiantly change their opinions. I am very pleased about the reactions, it doesn’t matter what was hidden behind the scenes, or if there is a conspiracy, I am just glad that many people know him as a great person and a great artist. If the media will try anything now is to tarnish the movie, but they cannot tarnish Michael anymore because seeing is believing and people saw him for who he is in raw and candid details.
That is how I feel also. I have just seen the movie and I really liked it. A few weeks ago I thought I was not going to see it but now I am glad I did. We have to think about that also. Some people think it is to painful and we have the "this is not is campaign". I really liked the movie and I think it give people a last positve impression of the great artist he still was instead of the image the media has been given the last months. Sure he was skinny but he really still could both sing and dance.

Another funny moment- MJ was channeling Jimi Hendrix on stage!!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

MJ is, like, a bazillion times more successful overall than Miley Cyrus and has absolutely nothing to prove against her. As long as the movie is #1, I'm good.

That being said, this does fill me with a contempt for the children of America that Michael probably wouldn't condone :).

I just wanted to say, to me this movie is a gift to Michael's fans. I am grateful for it. There wasn't anything like this given to Elvis' fans, John Lennon fans, Tupac fans, Biggie fans, etc. Everyone in the world has been given the opportunity to see Michael Jackson's last concert. . . that's a tremendous gift, IMO.

Who has Kenny always said from the beginning he's making this movie for? THE FANS. Who's critical reviews do we really care about in the end? THE FANS. Who has always cared about Michael and supported everything he does? THE FANS. Who is really going to be the one to support this movie in the end? THE FANS.

I'm sorry but this movie should have never been compared to making numbers such as Harry Potter or The Dark Knight. Those are movies that don't polarize people.

Of course, I want the movie to do well and to contribute to Michael's influence and legacy on entertainment. But I actually don't care anymore how much money this movie makes. We are always talking about money these days and it's getting quite cold because this man is gone. Also, this is not a project sanctioned by Michael. This movie was only conceived for AEG to recoup their losses. That's the truth. . . this movie would not have been made if it wasn't going to make money for somebody.

I would love for TII to take over Miley Cyrus and really hope and pray that it does. I think it will over time if it doesn't succeed this wknd. Miley is a teen fad and her fans are all the little children, teens and tweens who have nothing better to spend their money on. I also do hope that the movie ends up being the #1 movie of the weekend. But could you imagine the sheer numbers that would have been generated if a concert movie was released from the Victory Tour or the Bad Tour??? When Michael was at the height of his popularity all over the world?! Those numbers would have been untouchable for all time!

TII is associated with sadness knowing that Michael would pass a day or a few days after certain rehearsals. Maybe people are sensitive to that. Also, we are watching a man rebuild his stage essence after years off of a stage. Fans are going to eat up anything, but non-fans might just not be interested especially since there really has been non-stop Michael Jackson hype and coverage since his death.

But I think we all gotta look at the bigger picture here with TII. We have something real to hold onto, to cherish, to study, to watch over and over again from Michael's last great creative project. We are very, very lucky that we got this because we could have had nothing.

Please, let's not be disappointed by numbers. Let's celebrate Michael's talent and creativity on display for the whole world to see. :)

Last edited:

just a quick update, the movie has already grossed over $19 million in 3 days at the cinema box office in the US

elmari - thank you for saying that so eloquently.

The simple fact of the matter is Best of Both Worlds is a Miley Cyrus FINISHED product. This Is It is not a Michael Jackson product. It is a product that features Michael Jackson. There lies the fundamental difference. And whether TII outsells Ms Cyrus' has no real impact on Michael's legacy. He does not have to 'win' everything to be considered the best. The content of the movie settles that.

Better prediction from BO Mojo

I told you that it would not be so bad...

prévison de mojo...pour le week end !

1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $21,500,000 -- 3,481 -- $6,176 $32,708,532 1 Sony/ Columbia
2 Paranormal Activity $18,000,000 -15% 2,402 +457 $7,494 $86,240,045 6 Paramount
3 Law Abiding Citizen $7,200,000 -42% 2,764 -126 $2,605 $51,281,650 3 Overture
4 Couples Retreat $7,000,000 -34% 3,027 -47 $2,313 $87,565,755 4 Universal
5 Where the Wild Things Are $6,300,000 -55% 3,645 -90 $1,728 $63,018,962 3 Warner Bros.
6 Saw VI $5,900,000 -58% 3,036 0 $1,943 $23,163,955 2 Lionsgate

I just wanted to say, to me this movie is a gift to Michael's fans. I am grateful for it. There wasn't anything like this given to Elvis' fans, John Lennon fans, Tupac fans, Biggie fans, etc. Everyone in the world has been given the opportunity to see Michael Jackson's last concert. . . that's a tremendous gift, IMO.

Who has Kenny always said from the beginning he's making this movie for? THE FANS. Who's critical reviews do we really care about in the end? THE FANS. Who has always cared about Michael and supported everything he does? THE FANS. Who is really going to be the one to support this movie in the end? THE FANS.

I'm sorry but this movie should have never been compared to making numbers such as Harry Potter or The Dark Knight. Those are movies that don't polarize people.

Of course, I want the movie to do well and to contribute to Michael's influence and legacy on entertainment. But I actually don't care anymore how much money this movie makes. We are always talking about money these days and it's getting quite cold because this man is gone. Also, this is not a project sanctioned by Michael. This movie was only conceived for AEG to recoup their losses. That's the truth. . . this movie would not have been made if it wasn't going to make money for somebody.

I would love for TII to take over Miley Cyrus and really hope and pray that it does. I think it will over time if it doesn't succeed this wknd. Miley is a teen fad and her fans are all the little children, teens and tweens who have nothing better to spend their money on. I also do hope that the movie ends up being the #1 movie of the weekend. But could you imagine the sheer numbers that would have been generated if a concert movie was released from the Victory Tour or the Bad Tour??? When Michael was at the height of his popularity all over the world?! Those numbers would have been untouchable for all time!

TII is associated with sadness knowing that Michael would pass a day or a few days after certain rehearsals. Maybe people are sensitive to that. Also, we are watching a man rebuild his stage essence after years off of a stage. Fans are going to eat up anything, but non-fans might just not be interested especially since there really has been non-stop Michael Jackson hype and coverage since his death.

But I think we all gotta look at the bigger picture here with TII. We have something real to hold onto, to cherish, to study, to watch over and over again from Michael's last great creative project. We are very, very lucky that we got this because we could have had nothing.

Please, let's not be disappointed by numbers. Let's celebrate Michael's talent and creativity on display for the whole world to see. :)

I agree. The emphasis should really be more on how good the movie was rather than how much it sells. Of course, this is the box office thread so people are gonna be talking about that primarily.

box office numbers are important...I hope it goes high and high and breaks a record to salute MJ

I am at the theater now waiting for TII to begin and the place is about quarter full. A lot more people than I was expecting

I agree. The emphasis should really be more on how good the movie was rather than how much it sells. Of course, this is the box office thread so people are gonna be talking about that primarily.

Yeah, I know. But it seemed like people were getting upset because numbers aren't as high as we'd like them and because Sony had said this movie would make $250 million in five days and we don't know yet if that is going to happen. But the fact remains that the online ticket sales have been very successful and have broken records. I just wish Sony would have been a little bit more savvy in handling their predictions and saying that shows were sold out.

I just wanted to emphasize that this movie is a gift to the fans, Michael's fans. Not everyone is going to want to see this movie. So if it's the #1 movie this wknd in the US, I'll be very happy no matter what the numbers are.

!/4 full? she must be early. I am going to the 730 pm showing. Yesterday all the shows were sold out. Let me see what will happen tonight in another cinema.

so far... Domestic...

28.10: $7,445,661
29.10: $3,762,871
30.10: $7,850,000
Totally:
$19,059,000

Worldwide: $31,759,000

so far... Domestic...

28.10: $7,445,661
29.10: $3,762,871
30.10: $7,850,000
Totally:
$19,059,000

Worldwide: $31,759,000

That worldwide number is up to and including Thursday box office takings, it doesn't include the Friday box office takings. I should think that the worldwide box office takings is currently about $50 million.

Where is your theater located?

Sorry, I meant the theater is 3/4 full...I was at the theater at 6:30.....beginning of trick or treating here.

I went at that hour to avoid a crowd...so I was really surprised to see that many people. And again there were several kids

I went to the 1pm show today and it was 80% full. I was surprised to see that many people coming out so early.

Nice! Some good review of people for saturday :) Hope a big day at the box-office!

Im confused.

How can the USA number be 19mill but the REST OF THE WORLD 11mill.

The is no way that can be correct. Can somebody clarify?

^ Thanks.

People have jumped the gun, i think the final number WILL be impressive and WILL be much larger than Cyrus, in A WEEK

Thank you, I fully agree! :)

WHOOOOOOOOO...............according to www.boxoffice.com

Early Weekend Estimates: Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, 2009 Weekend Total
1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $21,500,000 $32,708,532
2 Paranormal Activity $18,000,000 $86,240,045
3 Law Abiding Citizen $7,200,000 $51,281,650
4 Couples Retreat $7,000,000 $87,565,755
5 Where the Wild Things Are $6,300,000 $63,018,962
6 Saw VI $5,900,000 $23,163,955
7 Astro Boy $3,400,000 $11,255,767
8 The Stepfather $3,300,000 $24,648,009
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $3,100,000 $118,956,602
10 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant $3,000,000 $10,711,790

Saturday estimates:

TII: $7.2M
Paranormal Activity: $6.5M

So the good news is that drop form saturady was very small, but the grates question is how much TII made form 5 days in the rest of the World: 50m, 60 or 70?? we have to wait until late sunday for results.

Saturday estimates:

TII: $7.2M
Paranormal Activity: $6.5M

So the good news is that drop form saturady was very small, but the grates question is how much TII made form 5 days in the rest of the World: 50m, 60 or 70?? we have to wait until late sunday for results.

why post the estimates when we already have the final numbers?

TII finished saturday with 7.9 M

Last edited:
Back