The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Did we ever get confirmation on who created that mix? I recall discussion around it being John McClain but don't know if it was ever actually confirmed or just assumptions.

Last edited:
Did we ever get confirmation on who created that mix? I recall discussion around it being John McClain but don't know if it was ever actually confirmed or just assumptions.
Either John McClain or Tricky Stewart.

Not that I know. I think it was all assumptions.

We just know that Steve Lukather did guitar overdubs on an unreleased track that didn't make the Michael album. But was track DYKWYCA? That we don't know for sure, too.

Bill Bottrell was working with the estate around that time. Would he know who's involved with DYKWYCA?

Man, I remember when Do You Know.. leaked - didn't have shotgun sounds and movie quotes?

What a banger. Still holds up - probably one of the best posthumous productions they've ever made. Timbaland completely butchered it.
I don't particularly like it anymore but that's just me.

I'd say this terminology isn't quite right. The 2010 remix has a different vocal take indeed, but that's all. Nonetheless, to answer your question: no.
Bad Era take I guess? Except they're probably both from the Bad Era. I just like the ad libs of the version on Xscape Deluxe Edition.

Last edited:
I'd argue this is still the most satisfying mix of DYKWCA. It feels true to the original while respectfully modernised and it doesn't make a mess of the adlibs
Exactly that. That they released a Cascio track on MICHAEL instead of this mix is beyond me.
And Timbaland‘s 2014 remix is definitely not it.

Tim butchered the entire album. Not much replay value in any of the new mixes besides maybe Escape.
I liked it at the time, but it does sound very mid 2010s now. Very rarely do I ever go back to it, or Michael. Probably because in the back of my mind I know they aren't genuine.

maybe the 2014 version shouldn't have have sucked then
Maybe y'all should give it a listen since 2014.

It was never bad, just different. I got used to it because that's how music works sometimes when your palettes change.

The intro is quite sick, actually one of the best moments of the whole album. The bounce is odd but it fits the tension of the lyrical situation. It doesn't sound dated at all to me, not like the 80s, 90s, or 2014 at all.

I ain't gonna begrudge anyone for just not liking it, it don't ever gotta be your favorite, but it's music. At least just engage in good faith with Your Ears.

Maybe y'all should give it a listen since 2014.

It was never bad, just different. I got used to it because that's how music works sometimes when your palettes change.

The intro is quite sick, actually one of the best moments of the whole album. The bounce is odd but it fits the tension of the lyrical situation. It doesn't sound dated at all to me, not like the 80s, 90s, or 2014 at all.

I ain't gonna begrudge anyone for just not liking it, it don't ever gotta be your favorite, but it's music. At least just engage in good faith with Your Ears.
I listened to it yesterday and it still sucks. However, do you. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Our opinion shouldn't affect yours and vice-versa. Feel free to enjoy it, man.

Back