The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

according to Rod Temperton "Midnight Man" was a considered title for the album
Right, but there was never any demo to a song called "Midnight Man".

Midnight Man was just a title

“Originally, when I did my ‘Thriller’ demo, I called it ‘Starlight,’” Mr. Temperton told The Sunday Telegraph of London in 2007. Mr. Jones sent him back to the drawing board for a better title. After coming up with several hundred alternatives, he settled on “Midnight Man.”

So weird that there wasn't even a song called that and they considered naming it Midnight Man.

So weird that there wasn't even a song called that and they considered naming it Midnight Man.
Well, it would have perfectly suited the albums then 'playboy' narrative.

Whenever Michael had the hots, he would have either called the nightline or would have went to the Hot Street - only to assure afterwards that the kid's not his son.

Midnight Man was just a title

“Originally, when I did my ‘Thriller’ demo, I called it ‘Starlight,’” Mr. Temperton told The Sunday Telegraph of London in 2007. Mr. Jones sent him back to the drawing board for a better title. After coming up with several hundred alternatives, he settled on “Midnight Man.”

I am a midnight, midnight man
’Cause I can thrill you more than any ghoul would ever dare try
Midnight, midnight man
So let me hold you tight and share a dark night, blue night, cold night, midnight man

’Cause I’m a midnight, midnight man
Girl, I can thrill you more than any ghoul would ever dare try
Midnight, midnight man
So let me hold you tight and share a dark night, midnight man

We should also do a thread with songs most likely to leak and also maybe, released. Like maybe ranking from 1 to 10. I'd say Throwing your Life Away is a 9. Buffalo Bill, an 8. Innocent Man a 6. Not sure what's a 3. The classical music probably.
Where would gywoom be on that list.... And by the way, how many people have the song. Is it just korg or heaps of people?

Damien says this about "Don't Make Me Stay". Is there a deeper chance of more info, maybe a more refined version?
When it comes to the bulk of songs registered in 2009 and 2010, I’d wager the USCO has the most up-to-date mixes. You’d assume MJ gave his collaborators the most recent versions up to that point, which would/should have the slew of available vocals. I can’t imagine he’d hand Neff-U a guide vocal of “Don’t Make Me Stay” if more existed, you know?

Damien says this about "Don't Make Me Stay". Is there a deeper chance of more info, maybe a more refined version?
Isn't that the same song where mj supposedly did background vocals for brandy?? I could've sworn I remember him singing "make me stay" on that track from darkchild...which I think was an mj song that was never finished & given to her like "why" was to 3t

When it comes to the bulk of songs registered in 2009 and 2010, I’d wager the USCO has the most up-to-date mixes. You’d assume MJ gave his collaborators the most recent versions up to that point, which would/should have the slew of available vocals. I can’t imagine he’d hand Neff-U a guide vocal of “Don’t Make Me Stay” if more existed, you know?
Maybe. Maybe he didn't want leaks of the vocals?

Isn't that the same song where mj supposedly did background vocals for brandy?? I could've sworn I remember him singing "make me stay" on that track from darkchild...which I think was an mj song that was never finished & given to her like "why" was to 3t
No, they are not the same

It's a song we haven't heard before

"He’s just mumbling random words, including the words “don’t make me stay,” which is probably why it got that title. The song – the way I heard it – is useless for anything other than being released as an incomplete rough demo."
Sounds like "Don't Make Me Stay" might've been a working title. I wonder if the title was going to be changed if MJ wrote the song further.

Last edited:
Michael was apparently working on music during the lead up to This Is It including his usual pop music and classical music and jazz arrangements that were never intended to have vocals. These really should be shown to the fans, even if it accounts just for a vocal harmony on a voice recorder.
I agree to an extent but it depends. I can't imagine the last thing he did was up to his own standard and if it was personal like, a vocal harmony idea on voice recorder, perhaps he wouldn't want the world to hear that.

As a fan I'm conflicted, I want to hear everything but then again at what point do we go against Michael (notoriously a perfectionist) wishes?

If it's a work tape for a released song and he sounds great on it (like Beat It or The Girl Is Mine) that's fair game and I want to hear it. But if he's humming into a tape and he sounds off key or intoxicated in the last few weeks of his life, that shouldn't be released.

Just my thoughts

I just heard on The Detail that Michael had done an entire soundtrack to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in 2005, and that the producers did want to use the soundtrack but he decided against giving it to them because they wouldn't give him the lead role. So that's an EP of music out there in some vault somewhere too.

I just heard on The Detail that Michael had done an entire soundtrack to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in 2005, and that the producers did want to use the soundtrack but he decided against giving it to them because they wouldn't give him the lead role. So that's an EP of music out there in some vault somewhere too.
If that's true then it's probably just a compilation of Instrumental Grooves for the movie. I don't think he recorded anything for that.

Don’t bother wasting your time with that tabloid tripe The Detail lol

Absolute disgrace of a thing - videos full of lies & tabloid garbage at the expense of MJ so they can sell fake merch off the back of his image & revenue from clicks

The information about that soundtrack is true.

Music producer Marc Schaffel revealed that Michael Jackson secretly wrote a full soundtrack for the 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' film.

The singer later recorded it in a small recording studio in Los Angeles, and he sent it to Warner Bros. top executives who liked it.

Marc Schaffel listened to that soundtrack, and he even described it as incredible.

The information about that soundtrack is true.

Music producer Marc Schaffel revealed that Michael Jackson secretly wrote a full soundtrack for the 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' film.

The singer later recorded it in a small recording studio in Los Angeles, and he sent it to Warner Bros. top executives who liked it.

Marc Schaffel listened to that soundtrack, and he even described it as incredible.
Yes, during Invincible session! This is explained in the book Making Michael by Mike Smallcombe.

Don’t bother wasting your time with that tabloid tripe The Detail lol

Absolute disgrace of a thing - videos full of lies & tabloid garbage at the expense of MJ so they can sell fake merch off the back of his image & revenue from clicks
The Detail is fine?

Back