Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Rehearsal Footage set for release Oct. (Merged)

Re: Michael Jackson's rehearsal footage: Everybody wants it

thank GOD that they recorded SO MUCH of the rehearsals!!! I cant wait to see it and i really think they will make a GREAT film out of it. definately. they can make so much money with it.

god bless michael. and thank michael for giving us so much endless joy and happiness. you are the greatest. the world will never forget you. R.I.P. you deserve it. KISS

IT'S SOUP FOR SONY: After some arduous negotiations, and a bit of media posturing, it looks like the Michael Jackson rehearsal film deal is signed, sealed and delivered to Sony Pictures for a reported $60 million price tag. Kudos to the studio's Amy Pascal, who saw the footage early on with Columbia/Epic's Rob Stringer, on the agreement. Word is that the Jackson estate and AEG will split that total 90/10. (7/21p)

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

Michael Jackson Theatrical Release Deal Close

Sources have confirmed to Billboard that a deal between the Michael Jackson Estate, AEG Live and Sony for a theatrical release of the Michael Jackson rehearsal footage from the ill-fated This Is It concerts could close today, though there are still some "unsettled terms" that are being negotiated. In fact, the deal is in such flux that it could shift to another studio by the end of the day. According to the source, Sony Music may co-invest with one of the film studios on this release, including Sony Pictures.

The source also says that Michael Jackson's father Joe Jackson's efforts in conjunction with promoter Leonard Rowe have "muddied the waters" in the Michael Jackson Estate and AEG's attempt to close a TV network deal for the presentation of the original This Is It production, created by Jackson and Kenny Ortega.

The This Is It special has been conceived as a tribute to MJ featuring Janet, the Jackson 5, and other major performers. The source says Joe Jackson has been shopping his own Jackson Family special on MJ's birthday on Aug. 29, which neither Janet Jackson nor the Jackson brothers have agreed to.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/genre/e3i2771ab8de5cfc4d1c32f5a4f00f054ac

Re: Michael Jackson Theatrical Release Deal Close

will someone throw Joe Jackson down a well for the sake of the world

I guess the 10% is the estate

so when will they release? I hope its soon since oinly editing needs to be done.

Re: Michael Jackson Theatrical Release Deal Close

Thanks for the update this is good development and I hope things to go smoothly without Joe Jackson interference.

I guess the 10% is the estate

i hope not. the ways its worded its the other way around.mjsstate owns his likeness etc so i would expect they own the majority of the footage

Re: Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M (Merged)

I'm so excited to see this :D i hope it gets released soon

Re: Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M (Merged)

Sony Pictures to release Michael Jackson concert film in October

Jul 21, 2009, 04:34 PM | by Jeff Jensen
Categories: Movie biz, Movies, Music, Music biz

Sony Pictures has paid $60 million for the rights to release a movie of footage shot during Michael Jackson's rehearsals for his This Is It concert tour, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The film will hit theaters October 30. According to other reports, AEG Live, which is said to have 80 hours of rehearsal footage at its disposal, and Jackson's family will split Sony's money, with Jackson's family receiving 90 percent of the fee and establishing a charity in the late singer's name.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/07/s...-michael-jackson-concert-film-in-october.html

be intresting how the release is done overseas interms of theatre (cinemas) its all so bitter sweet

Its really nice to see some good news for a change espically now considering whats happened:)

The estate getting 90% is amazing! MJ's estate lawyers defo know what they are doing.

Sony Pictures to release Michael Jackson concert film in October

Jul 21, 2009, 04:34 PM | by Jeff Jensen
Categories: Movie biz, Movies, Music, Music biz

Sony Pictures has paid $60 million for the rights to release a movie of footage shot during Michael Jackson's rehearsals for his This Is It concert tour, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The film will hit theaters October 30. According to other reports, AEG Live, which is said to have 80 hours of rehearsal footage at its disposal, and Jackson's family will split Sony's money, with Jackson's family receiving 90 percent of the fee and establishing a charity in the late singer's name.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/07/s...-michael-jackson-concert-film-in-october.html

is this true? 80 hours?

80 hours sounds way more realistic.

I read before it was 1200 hours.

maybe 15 cameras recorded 80hours...
then its 1200h

could be a possibility

90percent? His lawyers slayed lol

TII rehearsal videos bought by Sony!

And they are planning on releasing them this year, with Kenny Ortega supervising the editing!

Some things are still not clear:

- 3D/not 3D
- whether it will be shown on TV or in cinemas before being released on DVD

(Source: http://www.kjendis.no/2009/07/21/kjendis/michael_jackson/konsert/film/7288765/ but it's in Norwegian. There's also a video from the TII rehearsals that includes some footage I had not seen before)

Re: TII rehearsal videos bought by Sony!

they can't wait to make money off of him

^

Michael will earn profits from it too, I would want to see it, who doesnt want to see his final performances?

I dont like Sony for what they have done to Michael. But it was such a long time ago now and there is a new management in the company now ... mottola is gone ..

Im actually a bit glad that Sony Music bought it because its the biggest record label out there today and Michael Jackson is deserving the best.

Well if what RF says is true(he has been correct in what he said since MJ's passing) The Jackson estate will get 90% of the profit etc That is great!

Back