Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Rehearsal Footage set for release Oct. (Merged)

Re: Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M

Makes me nervous that Sony is trying to get their hands on it...they've never treated Michael well, am I right?

I thnik they should release other things first then this concert

As soon as this DVD comes out, I will be purchasing it. I would love to see what Michael was like the final few weeks of his death. I'm pumped for it though

NO...... NOOOOOOO...NOOOOOO! We should stop this! People ! Think! This was JUST a rehearsal! Michael wasn't in his top form anyway! You want him to be remembered that way?
It's true, being 'just' a rehearsal might not show Mike doing the best he could, but you can't have everything. But I'm just really puzzled why Sony doesn't release Victory or Bad 88 tour on DVD:scratch:(or whoever that has the footage). It would sell like crazy! Maybe the 84, 88 footage is really lost. I hope not. Sorry for going off topic;)

I wish they will put a lot of efforts on this project I don’t want them to rush it. This going to be Michael’s first HD production, I hope they also convert his current releases to Bluray including Captain Eo.

I hate the power that these huge corps have.

I for one, would LOVE to see the footage. Behind their PR spin though is corporate greed.

One hand gives, the other takes...

You cannot forget this was a business deal after all. Sad that the world drives on money, but hey, it just simply does.

I do not think AEG does something wrong with this. Perhaps with the high bidding, but that is something also happening when a new artist wants to sign at a record company. It's plain normal stuff in the music industry.

This might be well for the money, but hey, can you blame them?
Our hero has gone. But the world didn't really stop spinning. We must continue too, at a very slow pace that is.

We don't know even HALF of the things going on, the truth around this. So this as well might go with a lot of respect for MJ, who knows?

I don't hear you guys complain over the deals Michael made in his life. E.g. the world tours, all the official merchandise ever released, Captain EO movie, Moonwalker, Mystery drink, Mystery magazine, ATV Catalogue, and I could go on and on.

And yes, for sure, Michael gave a damn LOT to charity.
But the man was all business too. He had to. And that doesn't stop after his death. People have always made money out of his TRADEMARK "MICHAEL JACKSON". For how he was, overall, that was something had to be done, for Michael, and a lot of others too.

:agree:Come on you guys! You know Michael was gonna release his stuff anyway at some time or another, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed himself to be filmed during the rehearsals. I just hope they can get the timing right. I think they are looking to shatter the records Thriller set for the Making of Thriller video, which I am sure it will. People were hungry for Mike's stuff before he died and now that he is gon, their appetites are even worse cause they know there will never be nothing "new" coming.
Regardless of how we think of it, it is still part of his legacy that he's left us. We can only hope and pray that whomever is in charge of actually taking care of it and releasing it does it with the dignity his legacy deserves.

Oh I'm so "exciting"
As soon as mj died, they went on quickly to discuss about how to make money off the rehearsal footages?
OMG..it seems like they know MJ was going to die before the shows will even start. These footages I can tell you all will be very very very sad to watch and it's gonna ruin all people's memory of him as the greatest entertainer he was.

We don't yet know what was recorded or the quality. It could shut a lot of people up who are all saying that 'no way could Michael ever perform 50 dates'.

so we may really can see full versions of each song michael rehearsald for this is it

i will cry when i see it

and hope that also a great cd will release...
i want to hear and see everything
i wanna see michael i wanna see him and hear his voice

will be so beautiful

hope its true that any company will make a big Collection of This is it what is left
although its so sad :(

^^ It will be the hardest thing to see Michael in his final few days

I don't know why some people are all up in arms over this. At the end of the day, AEG is a BUSINESS, and they need to make their money. They lost a lot due to the cancellation of these shows and they MUST continue to do whatever they can to regain that lost profit. You can't blame them for getting on this right away. They probably have people on their asses everyday about making back that lost chunk of change and they need to keep the ball moving. They've also got families and mouths to feed and jobs they don't want to lose. Yes, the greatest entertainer of all time has passed away, but at the end of the day, unfortunately, the world doesn't stop. They need to stay on top of things and keep the business going.

At the same time, fans are getting what they want. I imagine there are very few fans out there that don't want the rehearsal footage on DVD. It's our last memory of him - you can bet your ass I want every piece of footage they have. And soon.

I hope Sony get it actually. Just one company dealing with music and video will be best surely...

Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M

EXCLUSIVE:AEG is right now trying to auction off to Hollywood*that concert film of the Michael Jackson rehearsals for his final tour.*I'm told Sony, Universal and Fox are in negotiations, but the price keeps going up and up. $50 million is where it started, I heard. As soon as executives involved in organizing Michael Jackson's 50-night schedule of shows at London's O2 arena learned of the performers death, they met at Staples Center in Los Angeles and secured all of the*rehearsal footage which Jackson had done there, according to news reports.*Randy Phillips, president and CEO of AEG Live, ghoulishly boasted to The Associated Press he had "more than 100 hours of footage that could be turned into live albums, a movie and a pay-per-view special.*He was our partner in life and now he's our partner in death."*Phillips claimed the production budget for the shows reached $25 million, which also covered 3-D "mini-movies" of Thrillerand Earth Song. He also said that, aside from AEG,*the Jackson estate would get the "lion's share" of any profits from the high-def footage. (Photos*of MJ's last rehearsals.)The recordings were reportedly*"great," with the last day on Wednesday being the "best," and all of them*"enough for a show," NBC News reported at the time. The*includes production meetings and auditions and behind-the-scenes showing Jackson and his dancers*occupying several spaces*in the Staples Center, and Michael going from room to room supervising the rehearsals.*The Los Angeles Timesand the AP also reported that the singer liked how*the concert*was*developing.*

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...-jackson-concert-film-bidding-started-at-50m/

yeah well..I find this disturbing..but not surprising on AEG's part. They are trying to cash in off Michael just like everyone else. Just so sad. You would think they would just release it for the fans benefit. But no....they have to make the all might dollar. sickning

I don't know why some people are all up in arms over this. At the end of the day, AEG is a BUSINESS, and they need to make their money. They lost a lot due to the cancellation of these shows and they MUST continue to do whatever they can to regain that lost profit. You can't blame them for getting on this right away. They probably have people on their asses everyday about making back that lost chunk of change and they need to keep the ball moving. They've also got families and mouths to feed and jobs they don't want to lose. Yes, the greatest entertainer of all time has passed away, but at the end of the day, unfortunately, the world doesn't stop. They need to stay on top of things and keep the business going.

At the same time, fans are getting what they want. I imagine there are very few fans out there that don't want the rehearsal footage on DVD. It's our last memory of him - you can bet your ass I want every piece of footage they have. And soon.

I agree AEG is back to business as usual..they even stated so. I also agree that I want every piece of rehearsal footage I can get my hands on. It will probably be offered at ridiculously high prices, but whatever I will sacrifice what I have to get afford dvd.

i ain't tripping cuz it was gonna come out anway...im tripping cuz mj isn't going on tour b/c he died. everything is still a mess yet they're clamoring to release this.

y not do it they way they would've? w/ class and a not-rushed production? something that screams quality and tact? and oh btw....maybe wait a little bit

something like THIS does not have a time stamp on it. people will always wanna c mj's last rehearsals.

when will we know about who bought the footage ?

Well to watch these last rehearsals, taken in the Staples theatre, in those day's leading up to Michael's untimely passing will be so painfully sad for me to watch. :-(
Sad yet glad that he was probably having the time of his life on that stage, doing what he did best, and he always 'came into his own' once on a stage.
To know how loved he was as he knew his concerts were a 'sell out' so there is small comfort to know that Michael was practising to give us the time of our lives.........it's just so tragic that those were the last routines of his life.....:-(
Yes we don't want to 'let go' of Michael, and having to accept he is no longer with us is heartbreaking. SEEING HIM PERFORM was what he wanted us to do- so let's honour our Michael, and watch what he was planning for US ALL.

I couldn't love him or miss him more if I tried. :-( :-( :-(

All I know is, the studio or network that gets this better not turn it into some negative shit!

I swear MJ was just a money making machine for some people!*sigh*

in a way, i don't want to ever see the footage b/c i know what the outcome would be. maybe the earlier stuff, the inception of the creation but not towards the end

that rehersal footage is gold
one who has the rights just name the price..
DVDs, a movie and selling rights to TV channels to air...that is gold

we fans also benefit, we get to see that show that was never was..
His kids benefit as portion of the sales would go to the estate...
it is business, show business, nothing new

i agree with you
dont understand some here

Anyone still doubts that a death Michael is bringing them more money than a not fit Michael, not eating, and most likely not able to do even those 23 shows covered by the insurance?

I don't need to see the rehearsals to a show which was simply planed (yeah maybe also by Michael) that irresponsible for Michael that it however played a part in the result of a dead Michael... I seriously don't need that stuff.

a part of me wants to see it, knowing he died to put on a show for us.

I don't understand why they are shopping it around with studios though, what are they going to with it? AEG could easily just create a dvd themselves for sale. Why would a movie studio buy the footage?

for the money

i agree with you
dont understand some here

Because it all seems calculated in some ways... like they will make more money from releasing the footage than they would have done if he'd done the gigs - especially if recently they suspected he wasn't fit for all 50

Anyone still doubts that a death Michael is bringing them more money than a not fit Michael, not eating, and most likely not able to do even those 23 shows covered by the insurance?

I don't need to see the rehearsals to a show which was simply planed (yeah maybe also by Michael) that irresponsible for Michael that it however played a part in the result of a dead Michael... I seriously don't need that stuff.

Exactly, I understand where you are coming from. I still can't decide if I'll watch it.

Last edited:

welleven perez is on the news

http://www.perezhilton.com/

This Is It: The Ball's Rolling!

Filed under: Film Flickers > Michael Jackson
michael-jackson-smooth-criminal-lean1__opt11__oPt.jpg

It's a go!
The rehearsal footage from Michael Jackson's This Is It tour will be released on DVD and possibly in theaters!!!!
According to Hits Daily Double, AEG, Sony Music and Jackson's estate are currently negotiating a deal, which sources believe to be signed and sealed quite soon.
The folks at Sony, including film division head Amy Pascal, describe Jackson's performance as "spectacular," so all signs are pointing to a theatrical release along with the DVD.
Sounds amazing!
[Image via WENN.]

No, once they sell the rights, they can't use it themselves. If they use it themselves, there'd be no reasons for anyone to buy the rights anymore.

By shopping it round and getting people to compete the value just goes up and up. Trust me AEG know exactly what they are doing :(

I am really fighting with my own thoughts about whether I want to see it, I bet I'm not the only one here feeling like that. I don't want to give money to AEG, but part of me wants to see the footage... They(AEG) knew we'd feel this way and thats what makes me feel sick.

Last edited:
Back