Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Rehearsal Footage set for release Oct. (Merged)

Re: Studios Competing For Michael Jackson Concert Film; Bidding Began At $50M

Anyone still doubts that a death Michael is bringing them more money than a not fit Michael, not eating, and most likely not able to do even those 23 shows covered by the insurance?

I don't need to see the rehearsals to a show which was simply planed (yeah maybe also by Michael) that irresponsible for Michael that it however played a part in the result of a dead Michael... I seriously don't need that stuff.

Then don't watch it right away. But eventually all fans are going to want to see the last footage we'll ever have of him.

I'm getting sick to death of all these people who don't want the DVD released just because they don't want it released doesn't mean other fans do either if it comes out then for the fans who don't want the DVD DON'T BUY IT no point in moaning to other fans about it if there just gonna buy it anyway, yes it'll be sad to watch but its what we wanted isnt it? and its the only chance to see the This Is It Concert

Anyone still doubts that a death Michael is bringing them more money than a not fit Michael, not eating, and most likely not able to do even those 23 shows covered by the insurance?

I don't need to see the rehearsals to a show which was simply planed (yeah maybe also by Michael) that irresponsible for Michael that it however played a part in the result of a dead Michael... I seriously don't need that stuff.

I agree.

I really want to see The king of pop´s last dance steps .. Its a little comfort in this time of sadness..And it will prove some people wrong claiming mike cant dance anymore etc..

I am sure any money they will make will also ago to Michaels trust.

I'm getting sick to death of all these people who don't want the DVD released just because they don't want it released doesn't mean other fans do either if it comes out then for the fans who don't want the DVD DON'T BUY IT no point in moaning to other fans about it if there just gonna buy it anyway, yes it'll be sad to watch but its what we wanted isnt it? and its the only chance to see the This Is It Concert

Fair point :) Just because I might not watch it(I'm still undecided) does not mean at all that I'd not want others to :) I'm just concerned about who gets the money etc... I don't want to argue with anyone about any of this I'm just chatting to help try to process what I'm thinking as its all too much. Its all too negative at the moment anyway - all just so sad :(

I am sure any money they will make will also ago to Michaels trust.

I am sure a good portion of it WILL or people will be talking.

I am sure a good portion of it WILL or people will be talking.

I believe that everything that has his name and makes money will go to his trust, i am sure his lawyers are taking care of all of that.

sure. right. ok........they lied to himi in life, u really think they'llhonor him in death?

Michael Jackson's rehearsal footage: Everybody wants it

Over the weekend, Sony Pictures emerged as the front-runner in a frenzied bidding war to
acquire Hollywood’s hottest entertainment property: the film rights to footage from Michael Jackson’s rehearsals for his “This Is It” comeback concert series.

According to sources close to the negotiations -- who declined to be identified because they are not authorized to publicly discuss the matter -- AEG Live, the concert promoter behind the superstar’s planned 50-date performance residency at London’s O2 Arena, offered the rights to some 1,200 hours of rehearsal footage to all the major movie studios last week. Sony, Fox, Paramount and Universal all submitted bids.

Although Fox and Universal still have bids under consideration, Sony’s aggressive $50-million offer -- coupled with the fact that the global entertainment giant’s music division controls distribution of Jackson’s output as an adult solo performer and retains the right to block a competing studio from using his songs -- put the studio in the strongest position, a source said Sunday.

Sony also controls the so-called sync rights to most of Jackson’s songs, involved whenever recorded music is used in combination with visual images in a production, an important component in the property’s future DVD release. The plan is for the movie to be theatrically released in October.

AEG is also selling the broadcast rights for a prime-time television special based around staging and choreography that Jackson personally created for his “This Is It” concerts. That property prompted fevered competition among television networks over the weekend.

According to a person with knowledge of the deal, the special would be broadcast in September and it would be directed by Kenny Ortega, the choreographer-director responsible for such hits as “Dirty Dancing” and “High School Musical” who worked closely with Jackson as director of his “This Is It” performances. It is described as featuring an ensemble of superstars that might include Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Will.I.Am performing Jackson’s hits using the costuming, choreography, aerial ballet and special effects-driven illusions that had been engineered for the singer’s comeback, a source said.

Although it's been reported that NBC is the front-runner in bidding for the TV special, the network declined comment and denied rumors of a deal. However, sources close to NBC say it is in negotiations to air the special.

An announcement about both the television and film projects is expected Monday, a person with knowledge of the deal said. Calls to an AEG spokesman were not returned. A Sony spokesman and a Universal spokeswoman declined to comment. Representatives for Fox did not respond to inquiries seeking comment Sunday.

Since Jackson’s death Jun. 25, speculation has raged about the content and quality of the rehearsal tapes. According to a source, hundreds of hours of high-definition video footage were shot during full dress rehearsals one week before Jackson went into cardiac arrest. Until now it has been secured in a vault in the AEG-owned Staples Center. The performer is shown to be in apparently fine health, making jokes, singing and dancing with vivacity and weighing in on various creative decisions surrounding the production, a source said. Also included are two or three scenes that were shot in 3-D during the concert’s most high-concept set pieces.

It was not immediately clear who would produce or direct the movie. At a press conference earlier this month, AEG Live Chief Executive Randy Phillips said that Jackson’s estate would get the “lion’s share” of profits from any film made out of the rehearsal footage but that the concert promoter would also get a cut.

Re: Michael Jackson's rehearsal footage: Everybody wants it

Thank you for posting but there are already a couple of other threads about this.

Is that a new pic from what we've seen? Dunno if I've seen that one. :unsure:

I do not know, but I think it is a new pic

That pic looks so fake (I think they pasted the head from the other pic and of course the background is edited too). Too bad, I thought it was a new one.

No its a fake photoshop pic.. thats why his face is purple and grinning. It's from the purple rain coat pic that was posted a while ago.

am getting a lil' excited lol even I want it so bad lol
well to whoever gets the 1,200 footage please make it decent!

and to various artist performing please don't include Justin Timberlake (personal issue) I just hate him to JT fans, again personal issue.

anways I'm giddy for the theatrical release OCTOBER? THIS OCTOBER?
instead of dvd could we get it on Blu-ray? or it's better if they'll just give out those 1,200 hours lol

I will cry when this comes out...but please release it as a movie...it has to be aired in a cinema with the music on full blast!

Only Michael could cause this much fuss over rehearsal footage. haha

I do like the idea of releasing it as a movie in the cinema, but i get worried about haters/non fans going just to wind us fans up.

I do like the idea of releasing it as a movie in the cinema, but i get worried about haters/non fans going just to wind us fans up.

Same, I know there will be people there making jokes and stuff. :\ Hmm I dont know.

Id probably just go and try to block everyone else out!

Where's the 6/24 Practice Footage?

I see footage from 6/23 but not 6/24. Is the 6/24 rehearsals the footage that they are using for their "film" or are they simply not releasing it?

Michael jackson this is it footage film

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/46211

'A film based on the 80 hours of rehearsal footage for Michael Jackson's London O2 Arena residency, which had been due to kick off earlier this month until the singer passed away, is set to be released by Sony Pictures.

The company is expected to pay over £30 million to promoters AEG Entertainment, who own the rights to the footage, reports Variety.

Kenny Ortega, who directed the hit film 'High School Musical', is expected to helm the project.

As well as rehearsal footage the film will reportedly feature at least three videos which had been set to broadcast during the late singer's shows in the UK capital, and will be released before the end of the year.

One of the videos will be an alternative version of Jackson's iconic music video for 'Thriller'. The videos were meant to be presented in 3D, but it has not been revealed whether the film will present them in the format.'

thought I'd let you all know/read this :D

what do you all think ? :)

Re: Michael jackson this is it footage film

^^Awesomeness

I'd love to see all Michaels hard work and what he had in store for us

Back