Paul Anka Claims 'This is It' is a Rip-Off

yeah...in the video Anka did say that McClain said that it wasn't the type of song MJ 'COULD' write. not would write..

not only that..Anka referred to Michael as ...Michael Johnson.

so..why do fans make a big deal out of all this? because HATERS initiate, by making a BIGGER deal out of trying to destroy MJ's name and legacy. people use hateful words aimed at Mj. and those people include celebrities, like Paul Anka. and those celebrities carry weight. like many on here said...the idea of MJ being a 'theif' is spreading like a virus.

Anka says the song is all his. the copyright docs say it's CO WRITTEn by both him and Michael.

Prior to the Anka mess, McClain and Sony execs were ooing and ahhing over this song because they thought it was exclusively MJ's and got lucky they found it in a box of old recordings.

So now these supposed comments made by McClain to appease Anka by throwing MJ under the bus is because he made the mistake about not doing enough research on the song, so he was made to look like a fool. But he's probably secretly blaming MJ for not labeling the cassette right for all we know. . . fool!

But Anka is the ultimate a-hole in this for his disrespectful comments and for going to TMZ to air out dirty laundry. He's a bitter old man because MJ yanked his song off his album for some reason!

And doing publishing research IS SO EASY.

Heck, I did it on my own going into BMI's website and found it!

But, yes, even though Anka has a point, Anka is a ROYAL AZZ-HOLE to drag this the way he did. These things are normally settled behind closed doors and resolved quickly.

But Anka is the ultimate a-hole in this for his disrespectful comments and for going to TMZ to air out dirty laundry. He's a bitter old man because MJ yanked his song off his album for some reason!

Maybe but if has a legitimate claim to the song he has every right to pursue it. Poor Michael:(How can he rest in peace with all this happening?

"I took the tapes over to a studio on Sunset Boulevard," Anka recalled about working with the star in 1983, "and Michael was supposed to meet me there so we can go to the next phase of the duets. I go to work, and I am informed by the studio that Michael had sent one of his people over and took the tapes. They stole them. I said, ‘What?’ He didn’t want to do the project anymore."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...ion-with-paul-anka-confirms-jackson-team.html

True - and you have a point - but trust me, the best of the best of public relations (and $$$) will make this go away.

How about making a bet ANOTHER song be released from the MJ vault - better than "This is It/I Never Heard" to mitigate the mistake?

The other negative I see from this is Joe & Randy & Jermaine & Brian Oxman proving incompetence to the judge presiding over the MJ estate case.

The siblings should be very GRATEFUL that the estate allowed them to moan on mj's song and actually get paid for their moaning .

CNN article on the whole shebang:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/12/michael.jackson.song/index.html

By Alan Duke
CNN

(CNN) -- The Michael Jackson song "This Is It," released Monday, was co-written and recorded in 1983 with singer-songwriter Paul Anka, Anka and the Jackson estate confirmed Monday afternoon.

Interest has been running high in "This Is It" -- the song, the two-disc album and the movie.

Jackson's estate and Sony Music Entertainment did not realize this history when they picked the song out of boxes of tapes in their archives, leading to a big surprise Monday when Anka called them, Anka said.

Jackson, who became busy with the success of his "Thriller" album, never finished the duet recording that was intended for Anka's "Walk a Fine Line" album, Anka said.

Latin hip-hop singer Safire recorded and released the song in 1990 -- under the title "I Never Heard," Anka said.

"Somebody just innocently found this tape and did not know somebody recorded it with him," Anka said.

Estate spokesman James Bates acknowledged to CNN that the "song was written with the legendary Paul Anka."

"We picked the song because the lyrics were appropriate given the name Michael gave his tour," Bates said.

It was just a coincidence that the song's first words were the same as Jackson's last planned tour, Anka said.

Monday's release of the lilting love song was part of the promotion for the Sony movie "Michael Jackson's This Is It," which comes out in two weeks.

Anka said it was "an honest mistake" that the estate's special administrators quickly resolved Monday.

"They realized the mistake," Anka said "They apologized and they've given me rightfully what I own. It's 50-50, right down the middle."

Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony's Columbia/Epic Label Group, was quoted in The New York Times on Sunday as saying he did not know the origins of the song.

Anka, who is heard playing piano on the song, said producers did a beautiful job of completing it.

Backing vocals from Jackson's brothers and orchestration were added to the spare voice and piano track recorded 26 years ago in Anka's studio.

The original version, with just Jackson and Anka, will be included in the two-disc soundtrack, along with the orchestral version, Sony said.

The orchestral version will play at the close of the film, which will feature Jackson's career highlights and last rehearsals, Sony said.

The CD will be released on October 27, coincidental with the debut of the movie, Sony said.

"Disc one features the original album masters of some of Michael's biggest hits such as 'Billie Jean,' 'Smooth Criminal,' 'Human Nature,' and 'Thriller' arranged in the same sequence as they appear in the film," Sony said.

The second disc includes "early demo versions" of Jackson classics "She's Out Of My Life," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" and "Beat It," Sony said.

"This disc also features a recently discovered spoken word poem from Michael Jackson entitled 'Planet Earth," the company said.

The just-released song got widespread airplay on radio shows across the United States Monday, according to Nielsen BDS, a company that tracks music airplay. It the 21st most-played song on the 1,300 stations monitored by Nielsen, with at least 680 "spins" by mid-afternoon, the company said.

so then what does he get 50% of? the movie AND the 2-disc cd?

f**k. :angry:

he NEEDS TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE "THIEF" COMMENT.

or McClain needs to get off of his incompetent ass and clear it up.

this is just horrific.

Maybe but if has a legitimate claim to the song he has every right to pursue it. Poor Michael:(How can he rest in peace with all this happening?

i hope MJ visits Anka when he goes to sleep tonight, saying:

Now what did you just say about my azz? I SHAMONE all over your mo'fo sh#t!

113036__thriller_l.jpg

Oh Gawd, I'm channeling that Chamone MoFo Selecta guy!

The other negative I see from this is Joe & Randy & Jermaine & Brian Oxman proving incompetence to the judge presiding over the MJ estate case

is it possible ?

"I took the tapes over to a studio on Sunset Boulevard," Anka recalled about working with the star in 1983, "and Michael was supposed to meet me there so we can go to the next phase of the duets. I go to work, and I am informed by the studio that Michael had sent one of his people over and took the tapes. They stole them. I said, ‘What?’ He didn’t want to do the project anymore."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...ion-with-paul-anka-confirms-jackson-team.html

Oh great. He's still talking and now it's to the LA Times. And NOW it's gone from Michael stole the tapes to "one of his people". And it wasn't because Michael was trying to steal his song but becuz Michael simply didn't want to do the project anymore.

You know what.... I'm outta this thread. Ridiculous little man.

so then what does he get 50% of? the movie AND the 2-disc cd?

f**k. :angry:

he NEEDS TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE "THIEF" COMMENT.

or McClain needs to get off of his incompetent ass and clear it up.

this is just horrific.

No, only the song itself.

Who knows - maybe Sony will pull the entire song OUT completely & stop production on the already made CDs & replace it with a complete new & better MJ song.

They've done this before - I KNOW.

Who knows - maybe Sony will pull the entire song OUT completely & stop production on the already made CDs & replace it with a complete new & better MJ song.

Oh please Anka better fall back before he loses any royalties he will be getting. You see the best way to deal with it is undercover meaning give me a cut or I go public. Don't put it out there only to lose the deal.

No this just proves what some people have been speculating. The title of the concert "This is it" has nothing to do with the song Sony calls "This is it". The song is actually "I never heard" and it happens contain the phrase "this is it".

Actually the song is in the movie. It plays over the closing credits.

MJ wrote sh*tloads of songs 1 BILLION times better than "This is It/I Never Heard" with his hands tied behind his back, climbing up a tree & doing the moonwalk underwater.

LOL!! Shimar, can I please use that as my .sig? please?!?!? :p

You know what, I actually hope they take the song off the album because with the way Anka is behaving I don't think he deserves to receive any money.

you know, Anka SAYS he humbly accepted the compliment that this is a song that MJ could not write, yet, Anka doesn't seem to realize that he is giving Michael THE ultimate compliment by covering his own bases (by making a stink)as if he KNOWS this song will be a big hit now that MICHAEL'S voice has been officially heard by the world on the song.

I'm just going to say it.... Michael would have NEVER, EVER released an unfinished song. Michael was a perfectionist to a flaw - that is why he didn't release too many albums because of the sheer time it took to record them. Michael recorded and recorded until he got it right. He used the BEST sound engineers and the BEST recording equipment. He believed in putting his best foot forward and would have never sanctioned this release. I'm sure of it. The song is unfinished and not even recorded in a STUDIO - Michael's vocals aren't even tracked. Michael would have never wanted this.

With that said, I hope it gets sorted for Michael's children sake. Sony has thousands of unreleased music from Michael. All Sony needed to do was contact the estate and get permission. Whateva...

I agree. While I think that Sony wanted the track to fit with the rehearsal-type atmosphere of the film, they were touting it as a new song, which IMO was a huge mistake. Because people thought it was a finished product aside from the present drama. The song, although a beautiful one in and of itself, was nevertheless not finished as you've said. I really can't blame some people for being disappointed. And the folks who make decisions about releases now need to get their act together. Michael would be so upset about this. I'm sure of that.

Last edited:

That would be the best...but they release the darn song with such fanfare, it is next to impossible to go back on it. They have link that song intimately with the movie, I don't even think they could remove it from the DVD. Again, MJ got screwed MAJORLY.

I am mad...I am really really pissed.

I usually don't take things this seriously, but every single decision ends in drama. And I am just getting tired of it.

I am seriously thinkin gof buying "Number ones"..instead of the This is it soundtrack. I am so mad at Anka calling MJ a thief that I don't want to give him my money.

And he WILL.

Sony's done the backtrack & pulled material when somebody causes them drama.

Most big companies do that.

Oh please Anka better fall back before he loses any royalties he will be getting. You see the best way to deal with it is undercover meaning give me a cut or I go public. Don't put it out there only to lose the deal.

Last edited:
You know what, I actually hope they take the song off the album because with the way Anka is behaving I don't think he deserves to receive any money.

I do too.

Ok Sony - you are AZZ-HOles, now we the fans demand you pull the song OUT.

Just so that this grandstanding Piece of SH*T Anka can talk crap about MJ?

Um, hell to the NO!

Anderson Cooper has the chance to show his sexual attraction toward mj yet one more time , next after the break.

Interesting, according to this blog another collaboration came out of the sessions, a song we all have, "Love Never Felt So Good".

Think back to that song and picture in your head "This Is It" without the additional production work, keep the fingersnaps and the piano and strip everything else, then you have the second demo done during the same session.

Back