Michael Jackson Estate Signs Huge Deal With Cirque du Soleil! Update p20 [Merged]

Re: Michael Jackson Estate Signs Huge Deal With Cirque du Soleil! ALL THREADS

I keep reading these great articles each with some new intriguing information. One thing is for sure....we have SO much to look forward to over the next few years. Prepare yourselves, the world is going to experience more Mj then ever before. This is the process where Michael Jackson becomes cemented as a true global legend in even the biggest haters mind. It's a very rare process in the music industry, I'm glad I am alive to witness it. I hope the tour comes to Toronto! As for the Vegas show, as MJ once said "I'll Be There".

Cirque du Soleil to launch Michael Jackson show.

By Alison MacGregor, Montreal GazetteApril 20, 2010 7:28 PM

MONTREAL — Cirque du Soleil is making its biggest investment ever — an $80 million U.S. bet that audiences will shell out to see Michael Jackson-themed productions.

The Montreal-based company is partnering with the Estate of Michael Jackson to develop a series of projects including touring shows, permanent productions and a Las Vegas nightclub.

Although the King of Pop passed away last June, the Cirque hopes to bring him back to the stage by deploying high-tech special effects such as holograms.

Local dancers should start dusting off their shoes because the Cirque plans on hiring "big time" for the first two productions, said the firm's chief executive and president Daniel Lamarre.

The first project, which is expected to open at the end of 2011, will be a touring arena show that simulates the experience of a live concert performed by the late King of Pop.

The second show, which is to open at the end of 2012, will be a permanent Las Vegas theatrical production that attempts to push the technological envelope using cutting-edge technology such as holograms, 3-D and motion simulation.

Lamarre said the company is looking for rehearsal space in Montreal for the summers of 2011 and 2012.

"We're looking at two very hot and humid summers in Montreal for the Cirque people," he said.

Neither show will use Michael Jackson impersonators.

John Branca, co-executor of Jackson's estate, said the reasoning behind this decision is that Jackson "was so unique that no one else could be at the level he was."

However, he said the shows might try to give fans Michael via a hologram or 3-D technology.

"We want to use ways of bringing back Michael Jackson," he said.

Branca also said the shows would use remixes and mash-ups of his songs so that people will hear the music in new ways.

The arena show will tour North America for the first year. Once the Las Vegas show opens, the arena tour will start to go around the world.

Lamarre said that the difference between the two shows is that the Las Vegas show will be more of an "experience" because of the advanced technology — some of which has not been invented yet.

"Michael was ahead of this time," he said. "We will try to do a breakthrough with new technology."

He said that the Cirque is already talking to two or three companies that are developing new technologies that could be used in the show.

Asked if he was looking at high-tech companies in Montreal he said that the Cirque would select the firm that would "bring the better technology."

In a telephone conference call, Branca said that Jackson was a "huge fan" of the Cirque.

Lamarre said that in 2004 Michael visited the Cirque's facilities in Montreal and was impressed.

"Michael Jackson is the King of Pop and an all-time phenomenal artist, both timeless and contemporary," said Guy Laliberte, the founder of the Cirque in a news release. "As a creative challenge, this project is the ultimate."

The Cirque has already teamed up with the Beatles and the Elvis Estate to produce themed shows.

Branca said the show would not be a retrospective of Jackson's life.

"We want to go somewhere else," he said, adding that Jackson "wanted to innovate."

Jackson's estate and the Cirque will each own 50 per cent of the projects, sharing equally in the costs and profits from each project. The Estate of Michael Jackson will also receive royalty payments on various aspects of its intellectual property used in the Michael Jackson projects.
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Cirque+Soleil+launch+Michael+Jackson+show/2930109/story.html

Hey guys do u think the this is it dancers might try and get involved in this?

Oh... good point... maybe they will.
And so will Orianthi (Neverland private show? Cirque's big man at Neverland? interesting...:smilerolleyes:).

Wowow... so many dreams and days and weeks and months to way...:wild:

I really, really really don't want Quincy Jones involved. Like Really. I am praying he is just throwing names around.

Oh... well... MJ had nothing but love and nice words to Mr. Jones... while he had very good times talking trash about MJ lately.... we don't know the background, but well... no, Mr. Jones is not my favourite guy. Funny they seem to be saying NO to Kenny and YES to Orianthi, but all between the lines :D

LOL!! Ok, let's wait and this. I will avoid any comments on the EState, but we would all agree this is a very, very wise move. Money, big money, sure, but let's be honest: we MJ fans are used to have nothing but the best. Aside from Cirque du Soleil, honestly... I can't think of any other company to do this.

Well... the Bolshoi and the London Symphony Orchestra are magnificent, but I don't know if it would meet their requeriments :scratch:... but just thinking of that... a synphony of Michael... those melodies he was working on before the 25th.... do you say the Estate come here for ideas?? Here's one :)

Oh... good point... maybe they will.
And so will Orianthi (Neverland private show? Cirque's big man at Neverland? interesting...:smilerolleyes:).

If they do, i will so happy for them :)

Cuz i was thinking considering u know that they never got the chance 2 do a tour with mj.........they can i guess in a way still "tour" with him. But i know it may be hard for them 2 think of doing it :(.

My heart goes out to them all

Totally agree! Michael was always a musical genius but his business genius shouldn't be ignored - he knew darn well those executors would do an amazing job! LOOOOVE IT ALL!!!

YEP :D
Me too!

I love to know that. I´ve never seen any of the previous shows, and now I know the reason. It will be so amazing!! I hope it comes to my country. :wub:

I've read that Michael really enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil shows and even wanted to get one of the acrobats to leave cirque and do TII! LOL!

The vision, creativity and grandness of Cirque du Soleil would match very well with Michael's music and his style.

I would definitely go to this. . . probably more than once if it exceeds my expectations.

I am so excited!

I love to know that. I´ve never seen any of the previous shows, and now I know the reason. It will be so amazing!! I hope it comes to my country. :wub:
They are visiting Brazil in some weeks , I think (but of course, for another show). If you can afford it, please give yourself the priviledge to do so. I would say it again: they are ROYALTY among royalty. The best!!

I saw them once and they are simply amazing. You'll be thrilled by their show. So sad they might not be visiting Chile this time, due to the earthquake (the place where they use to have their "tent", the Cirque, had many damages and so far, it's not safe) :(.

If they do, i will so happy for them :)

Cuz i was thinking considering u know that they never got the chance 2 do a tour with mj.........they can i guess in a way still "tour" with him. But i know it may be hard for them 2 think of doing it :(.

My heart goes out to them all

So many of us couldn't make our dreams come true :(
Cirque is magic and dreams. Maybe this time... hopefully... we'll get a glimpse of fantasy and magic and moonwalking under the stars.

Think of Michael very, very much today...
sad037.gif

:yes: Definitely, and Michael selected them himself, so who better?!?!

Hopefully, everyone who was a part of TII will have the opportunity and want to take part in this...especially Kenny O' (Ortega). He knows Michael's vision(s) for stage performances better than anyone else. Besides, he's GREAT at what he does. My guess is that he will, at the very least, be a consultant.

;)

Of course $ony benefit from this immensely as well from royalties.:smilerolleyes:

Of course $ony benefit from this immensely as well from royalties.:smilerolleyes:

Of course but lets keep this thread positive shall we. Cirque de Solei is so magical and Michael and the kids love it. I think its great they're doing this.

They are visiting Brazil in some weeks , I think (but of course, for another show). If you can afford it, please give yourself the priviledge to do so. I would say it again: they are ROYALTY among royalty. The best!!

I saw them once and they are simply amazing. You'll be thrilled by their show. So sad they might not be visiting Chile this time, due to the earthquake (the place where they use to have their "tent", the Cirque, had many damages and so far, it's not safe) :(.

yes they are fantastic!!I saw them ones and also had the chance to see them promoting the show the days before around town where you least aspect them to be in full stage dresses!they have this passion for what they do and the ability to interact with audience lol,they are not only extremely talented but also very ironic and funny.

Of course but lets keep this thread positive shall we. Cirque de Solei is so magical and Michael and the kids love it. I think its great they're doing this.

yes I agree :cheers:

Im sure this will be a fantastic show.

The assumption that there would be negativity isnt needed IMO We're not here for trouble. Just stating a fact.

One thing will be interesting is that they will have to mix Michael's music for 5.1 as Cirque uses 5.1 From my understanding Swedien doesnt like 5.1 for music.

I'm sooo stoked!:D I've never had the chance to see any of their shows. I'm definately going to see this.

MJ's Dancer -- I Wanna Join the Cirque

Originally posted Apr 21st 2010 12:40 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
All sorts of people connected to Michael Jackson are bursting at the sequined seams to be a part of the upcoming MJ-themed Cirque du Soleil show -- including one of the dancers from Michael's "This Is It" tour.

0420-michael-jackson-dancer-ex-getty-credit.jpg

TMZ has learned Danielle Rueda-Watts -- one of the 12 dancers picked by Jackson for the London concerts -- has actually worked with the Cirque before (on the "Love" show) and she tells us it would be "great to work with these people again."

As we first reported, the first Cirque show will open in the fall of 2011 and will be focused heavily on dancing -- with the trademark Cirque acrobatics.

Watts just happens to be a master of all of the above ... not to mention a pro at pole dancing.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/20/micha...up-dancer-danielle-rueda-watts/#ixzz0lit64a21

Danielle Rueda-Watts -- one of the 12 dancers picked by Jackson for the London concerts

:huh:

She was meant to be the aerialist in Dirty Diana, but I don't recall Rueda-Watts being picked from the dancers auditions, was she? I guess she was picked when Michael decided he wants to add some aerial acrobat to the show :)

Danielle wasn't one of the prinicpal dancers. She was an aerialist to be used as the girl trying to seduce Michael in Dirty Diana. TMZ's inaccurate reporting strikes again.

:wild: This girl is going to Vegas, that's for sure! With who or what money, I don't know but I got to see this!

MJ fans deserve the best surely! The best was, is and always will be Michael himself! The rest is just an effort to reach him! I wish everyone who will go to have a good time!

Brilliant! I'm gonna start saving for a trip to Vegas, IF there are ever enough tickets to not be sold out before I can get there. I think Michael would LOVE this. :D

Of course $ony benefit from this immensely as well from royalties.
thought mj owned the sound recording of his own songs as it says on the albums. of course sony will make money from xtra album sales etc but what do u expect.itscalled business

Michael Jackson to get the Cirque du Soleil treatment

I through this news was o.k to post it :D i think this is great news this so cool i love to go & see them :yes:
& i also hard this on news last night also too :D

here is news from The Guardian website:

Acrobatic troupe Cirque du Soleil will collaborate with Jackson family on production celebrating Michael Jackson's music

Michael-Jackson-001.jpg

Michael Jackson is to be immortalised in the unlikely form of a new production from Cirque du Soleil.
Following the Is This It movie and the reported biggest record deal of all time with Sony Music, the new show is the latest bit of Jackson-related activity to be sanctioned by the Jackson family.
The acrobatic troupe will launch a touring show based on songs from the Jackson catalogue, followed by a permanent production in Las Vegas from 2012. The news is perhaps not surprising – previous Cirque du Soleil productions have centred around the Beatles and Elvis Presley.
The late singer's mother Katherine said in a statement: "Our family is thrilled that Cirque du Soleil will pay tribute to my son in such an important way."
The Jackson family will share a 50/50 split with Cirque of both production costs and eventual profits.
John Branca, co-executor of the estate, added: "Having attended Cirque du Soleil performances with Michael, I know he was a huge fan. We are excited to be partners with Cirque du Soleil to give Michael's fans a truly unique way to hear, see and feel Michael's music."

here is link:http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/21/michael-jackson-cirque-du-soleil

here is this news from Toronto stars website:
Cirque du Soleil to produce Michael Jackson show

d8279998448f95297d62ebb6b10b.jpeg

515638586130765045416b414476774e

After having already formed partnerships with the estates of Elvis Presley and members of The Beatles, Cirque du Soleil made it a superstar trifecta on Tuesday by announcing its plans to mount a series of shows based on the music and songs of Michael Jackson.
The rock superstar, who died last June 25, remains one of the most popular figures in modern music and Cirque plans to approach his work in two formats.
An arena-style show, in which fans are expected “to experience the excitement of a Michael Jackson concert” will debut in Las Vegas in late fall 2011 for an extended run, to be presented with Cirque’s long-time partners, the MGM Mirage chain.

Then, late in 2012, a permanent Cirque show based on Jackson’s work will open at Las Vegas to be determined, while the touring arena show sets off for venues around the world.
In addition to the performance shows, certain unspecified “lifestyle” elements honouring Jackson and his work will also be created, including a Michael Jackson nightclub, also in Las Vegas.
“As a creative challenge, this project is the ultimate,” Guy Laliberté, the founder of Cirque, said Tuesday. “Through the use of cutting edge technology, we will produce a Cirque du Soleil experience not only worthy of Michael but unlike any other we have created before.”
And Katherine Jackson, Michael’s mother, observed that she was “thrilled that Cirque du Soleil will pay tribute to my son in such an important way.”
Both the costs of creation and the profits from execution of any and all Cirque du Soleil/Michael Jackson projects are expected to be divided 50-50 between the two parties.
Richard Ouzounian
Work on the next James Bond film has been halted indefinitely because of uncertainty about the future of distributor Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli say development of the movie was suspended after MGM failed to find a buyer. They say they do not know when work would resume.
MGM put itself up for sale after a slump in DVD sales and a lack of hits left it unable to manage a $3.7 billion debt.
Wilson and Broccoli’s EON Productions has produced 22 Bond thrillers since 1962. The new film, known only as Bond 23, had been due for release in 2011 or 2012.
Bond actor Daniel Craig says he has confidence in the producers and looks forward to production resuming.
Associated Press
ZedCrew, a rags-to-rhyming tale by Halifax filmmaker Noah Pink, has landed a berth in the prestigious Director’s Fortnight sidebar program at Cannes.
The 44-minute short, described as a “feature novella,” is a Canada-Zambia co-production about three Zambian rappers who try to make it big in the hip-hop mecca of New York.
The main character is played by Alvin (The Lyricist) Fungo, who was discovered by Pink via his MySpace page. Fungo also scored the film.
ZedCrew was shot in Lusaka, Zambia, last summer, but post-produced in Halifax. It will have its world premiere at Cannes, one of only two Canadian movies at the fest this year.
The other is Quebecer Xavier Dolan’s sophomore film Les Amours Imaginaires (Heartbeats), which will premiere in the Un Certain Regard program as part of the official selection.
here is link:http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...que-du-soleil-to-produce-michael-jackson-show

here update about on this Los Angels website (Reuters)

UPDATE 1-Cirque du Soleil to create Michael Jackson show* Cirque and Jackson estate will share projects

Arena touring show expected in late fall 2011 (Recasts with details on previous Jackson-related projects)

LOS ANGELES, April 20 (Reuters) - Cirque du Soleil will develop touring shows based on the music of Michael Jackson in the third major deal by the "Thriller" singer's estate since his death last June, representatives said on Tuesday.
The latest deal also calls for a Jackson-themed nightclub in Las Vegas and a permanent Jackson-Cirque du Soleil show that will make its debut in the city in late 2012.
The Jackson estate and Montreal-based Cirque du Soleil, which already has produced shows based on the music of Elvis Presley and The Beatles, will each own half of each project arising from the partnership. They will split development and production costs, representatives for the estate said.
The first project from the partnership will be an arena touring show expected to start in late fall 2011.
"Having attended Cirque du Soleil performances with Michael, I know he was a huge fan," John Branca, a co-executor of the estate, said in a statement.
"We are excited to be partners with Cirque du Soleil to give Michael's fans a truly unique way to hear, see and feel Michael's music," Branca said.
The MGM Mirage (MGM.N), which owns 10 hotels in Las Vegas, will partner with Cirque du Soleil for the shows in the casino mecca but it has not announced a permanent venue for those performances.
In March, Sony Music, a unit of Sony Corp (6758.T), announced a $250 million deal with Jackson's estate, which will result in up to 10 albums using the singer's previously unreleased music.
Last fall, Sony Pictures released "This Is It" based on footage of Jackson rehearsing for a comeback concert series in London. The movie made $261 million around the world, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo.
Cirque du Soleil currently has a show in Las Vegas based on Presley, called "Viva Elvis," and another high-wire acrobatics show titled "Love" using Beatles music.
The singer's mother, Katherine, said in a statement, "Our family is thrilled that Cirque du Soleil will pay tribute to my son in such an important way."
Jackson, 50, died in Los Angeles on June 25 of an overdose of powerful medications. His personal doctor, Conrad Murray, has been charged in California with involuntary manslaughter and is awaiting trial.

here is link:http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2011212220100420

Just because it's endorsed by his estate it doesn't mean it would've had Michael's blessing.

But then I guess you could say the same for This Is It. Difference with that though, is at least with the movie you got to see a part of Michael's vision. I don't really care how some acrobat chooses to interpret Billie Jean.

Back