Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record

It's a cute video, but nothing extraordinary or hadn't been done before...I don't see all the hype over it...It's a terrible song, too...Along with all of Katy's songs, in my opinion...the only songs I ever liked of her was 'I Kissed A Girl' and 'E.T.' although, I think Kanye ruins the song and I actually like Kanye West...

wow the record company is really desperate wanting to have 5th No1 single. isn't it? They now want to put out a remix to make it number one? oh~~~~ I really hate this kind of strategy. Like E.T., I really like the original song but I really don't like the Kayne West's remix lol. Just not a big fan of remix, same goes with Britney Spears and Rihanna's S&M. If the single can't make number one. Just let it be. Really hate they just go make a remix version with some big name to make it number one.

At beginning, I don't think it's quite a big deal that she might accomplish this record. However, after all the media reporting in a weird way (making it sounds like she already did it) and after the record company's strategy, I now actually hoping that this song won't reach number 1. lol

I don't think it matters one bit. She can have all her songs go No.1 and sell 100 million records but still can't be married to kop. I'm sure everybody knows that.

OMG...i meant compared!!!!!!

Yes I am a moderator. I could have very well used the words "Rude and inconsiderate" which would also apply to the
over 22 posts I had to delete in this thread to bring it back on topic. Ill stand by the words I chose of whats going on
by a few in this thread

Suggestion to All: Discuss the topic without belittling each over your various views and opinions.

Please stay on topic :flowers:

Suggestion: next time, use "Rude and inconsiderate." It's better than "ridiculous." You'll avoid having to delete over 22 other posts, this time discussing the contempt against members.

Thank you and peace.. :flowers:

I'm not too worried about this. If Katy ties the record or even breaks it, congrats to her. After all, Michael's worth is not measured in chart records.

I don't think it matters one bit. She can have all her songs go No.1 and sell 100 million records but still can't be married to kop. I'm sure everybody knows that.

OMG...i meant compared!!!!!!

:lol:

lol not just remix version, now they cut the price in half on itune. They really want to make this number 1.

lol not just remix version, now they cut the price in half on itune. They really want to make this number 1.

Her single can't be selling very well if their so desperate to cut the price in half.

Desperate people take desperate measures :upside_down:

I would have no problem with this if the single from the album just went to number one. In that case, she would have deserved it. People liked the song, so they bought it. However, I can't respect her if she releases a remixed version and then slashes the price in half as well. It's quite pathetic and desperate.

Someone tell her this won't make her Michael Jackson.

....reading all these posts sure make it seem that they want to say "Katey breaks/ties Michael's record...." like they honestly are trying to compare her, to "him

I would have no problem with this if the single from the album just went to number one. In that case, she would have deserved it. People liked the song, so they bought it. However, I can't respect her if she releases a remixed version and then slashes the price in half as well. It's quite pathetic and desperate.

I agree. It feels like she is cheating but the media don't care.

^^^Why would the media care? They have always hated Michael and have always written negative things about him.

I agree. It feels like she is cheating but the media don't care.

She's not cheating. Cutting prices on new releases happen everyday. There were big discounts on new albums of Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga. When Born This Way was first released, Amazon sold the album at only $0.99 for a day. Amazon absorbed all the losses. Many people said the album would not have sold over one million copies the first week, if Amazon didn't offer such price cut. But, it's not Lady Gaga's who was cheating. It's Amazon's decision to promote its music sharing service by cutting the price of Lady Gaga's album.

Is iTune the only retailer that cuts the price of Katy Perry's in half? How about Amazon? If only iTune offers the discount, it's most likely iTune's decision to promote the single, not Katy's record label's decision to slash price.

And, I don't understand why releasing a remix is considered a desparate attempt. She's just doing whatever she can to promote her single and album. What's wrong with that? She didn't stab anybody's back in doing so. Let's say the Throwback mix of Hollywood Tonight gets to #1 of Billboard 100, or whatever chart they are talking about, and some people said the song does not deserve to be #1 because it's not the original album version and the song is a remix, what would you think?

I'm not a Katy Perry fan whatsoever. I don't understand why she's so popular. I just think the criticism towards her here is not fair.

love is magical;3453511 said:
She's not cheating. Cutting prices on new releases happen everyday. There were big discounts on new albums of Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga. When Born This Way was first released, Amazon sold the album at only $0.99 for a day. Amazon absorbed all the losses. Many people said the album would not have sold over one million copies the first week, if Amazon didn't offer such price cut. But, it's not Lady Gaga's who was cheating. It's Amazon's decision to promote its music sharing service by cutting the price of Lady Gaga's album.

I have heard it was a deal from Lady Gaga´s record-label to push the cd.

Annita;3453517 said:
I have heard it was a deal from Lady Gaga´s record-label to push the cd.

Oh okay. Thanks. This is not what I have read. Then, why just Amazon? So, Interscope has to reimburse Amazon for every album downloaded?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that slashing prices is not an uncommon practice. Basically, every major artists are doing so. This is a marketing strategy. I feel fans here tend to read into things too much. Other artists are just doing whatever they can to push their albums. Katy Perry is not trying to break the record because the record is held by Michael Jackson.

Is iTune the only retailer that cuts the price of Katy Perry's in half? How about Amazon? If only iTune offers the discount, it's most likely iTune's decision to promote the single, not Katy's record label's decision to slash price.

And, I don't understand why releasing a remix is considered a desparate attempt. She's just doing whatever she can to promote her single and album. What's wrong with that? She didn't stab anybody's back in doing so. Let's say the Throwback mix of Hollywood Tonight gets to #1 of Billboard 100, or whatever chart they are talking about, and some people said the song does not deserve to be #1 because it's not the original album version and the song is a remix, what would you think?

I'm not a Katy Perry fan whatsoever. I don't understand why she's so popular. I just think the criticism towards her here is not fair.

Slashing prices and using a remix of your song based solely to get a record kinda is cheating though..It's not really happening 'naturally'. Michael never had to take any shortcuts to achieve records, he simply made amazing music and let it speak for itself..And I bet that Katy Perry's record label was part of these decisions ,because their is job to promote her, and the closer she gets to any sort of record than more music sites will talk about it..

^^ I agree...Lovey, you know you and I are pretty much always on the same page, but I agree that it is like cheating...It may be common practice nowadays to slash prices, do remixes, or whatever. However, that doesn't make it a fair comparison in terms of record breaking. If Katy breaks Michael's record, it wouldn't have been done in the same circumstances, so would she really have broken his record fairly then? No...:)

For me personally, I consider slashing price and releasing a remix marketing and promotion strategies. If Katy's record label go out and buy the singles to inflate sales, then it's cheating. If her record label does something unethical, such as bribing radio stations and giving incentives to retailers, then it's cheating. But, price cut and releasing remix are considered part of promotion thesedays. I just can't call Katy cheating.

Do I think it's fair to compare Katy's #1 hits with Michael's #1 hits, of course not. It's like comparing apples and oranges. In 1987, a single cannot be dowloaded individually from internet. There was no electronic sales. A single in 1987 did not cost $0.99. The music industry has changed so much. The way the Billboard chart is configured is not the same. So, it's not a fair comparison to begin with. That's why I do not put too much consideration into this news.

I just feel we really shouldn't be too upset about it if Katy's remix ends up being #1 and tie Michael's record. I honestly don't think she releases a remix for the purpose of tieing Michael's record. She is just doing whatever she can to promote her album and I see nothing wrong with that.

I also feel we should not have double standard. Let's say Sony releases a remix of TWYLM as a single and cuts the price of the single, the single does well and becomes a #1 hit, would we consider it cheating? If it's okay for Sony and Michael to release a remix as a single and cut price, it's also okay for Katy too.

BTW, I love how Arky and I do not always agree with each other. We argue sometimes. :fear: ;)

BTW, I love how Arky and I do not always agree with each other. We argue sometimes. :fear: ;)

It's cuz deep down I really can't stand you :fear:

Kidding! :huggy:

Yeah, I see what you're saying about Katy, cuz at the end of the day, the comparison isn't fair to begin with...Her songs compared to Michael's :puke:

I guess the only way for it to be a fair comparison sales-wise is if, back in the day, Michael's singles prices were slashed in half and remixed or whatever...Then, Katy comes along, her singles are subject to the same thing, and then she ties his record...

Either way, the whole comparison is just way off anyway...hmmm....Katy Perry vs Michael Jackson :smilerolleyes:

I didn't say she was cheating but it just feels like it to me. Her other 4 songs went to #1 without remixing. Unless they did and I don't know because I don't keep track. I don't have a problem if she ties Michael. The record company should promote her album but I am sure she is okay with remixing the song in hoping to push it to #1. To some it looks like it's being done to tie the record as that would give Katy a great achievement in her career. There is nothing wrong with that. I just don't like remixes very much from anyone. I think if a song is good enough to be #1 it will with radio play, promotion etc. Her album is already a big success. I think what others have said is that Michael didn't remix his 5 #1s from Bad. I am not comparing the songs. I think she should take a chance a leave the song as it is.

That's the reason why there's so many noise when GAGA sold more than millions that week because many people did think she cheat. There's also lots of rumors about her record company is behind all this that amazon didn't actually paid all those money. However, we will never know. There are all kinds of strategies to make the CD or single number 1. Similar thing happened to Mariah Carey in 90s. She has 18 billboard number 1 and part of the reason is because of SONY's cut price down strategy. That also cause lots of noise back then. Of course the record company can try whatever they want to make it number 1 but personally, I really don't like all these strategies. If the song is good enough originally to make it number 1 why remix again and cut the price half? Honestly, I think the remix version should not include in the count. It's only my opinion, and I do not just target to Katy Perry but also to Gaga and Rihanna (S&M) etc.

Last edited:

That's the reason why there's so many noise when GAGA sold more than millions that week because many people did think she cheat. There's also lots of rumors about her record company is behind all this that amazon didn't actually paid all those money. However, we will never know. There are all kinds of strategies to make the CD or single number 1. Similar thing happened to Mariah Carey in 90s. She has 18 billboard number 1 and part is because of SONY's cut price down strategy. That also caused lots of noise. Of course the record company can try whatever they want to make it number 1 but personally, I really don't like all these strategies. If the song is good enough originally to make it number 1 why remix again and cut the price half? Honestly, I think the remix version should not include in the count. It's only my opinion, not just target to Katy Perry but also to Gaga and Rihanna (S&M) etc.

By the way to marebear: Her 4th single also has a remix version with Kanye West. I believe at that time people already discuss this kind of strategies because E.T. become number 1 at. In my point of view, I actually like the original E. T rather than the Kayne West one.

Last edited:

The music industry has been in a declining mode for decades. An artist the caliber of Michael Jackson comes once in history. Of course, he didn't need all the gimmicks. His works are just that good. He didn't need to marry the head of his record label to get 18 #1 Billboard hits (not mean to discredit Mariah. I think she's a great talent.) He didn't need to have his albums sold at $0.99.

That's why all these comparisons are not even valid to begin with. Of course the media would not analyze the way we do. A record is still a record. It's still something to cheear about. For me, all these #1 hits do not mean much. Smooth Criminal is not a #1 song; yet, it's a classic. Meanwhile, I cannot name all Mariah's number one songs.

Back