Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record

It's amazing how the press wants this fifth # 1. It's pathetic.

Katy Perry Could Tie No. 1s Record With Missy Elliott 'Friday' Remix

Katy Perry is on the verge of tying an incredible Billboard Hot 100 chart record -- held by Michael Jackson -- thanks to some help from Missy Elliott.

Jackson owns the record for the most Hot 100 No. 1 singles from one album -- with five from his 1987 classic "Bad." Presently, Perry has four No. 1s from her "Teenage Dream" set. Its fifth single, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)," rests at No. 2 on the chart this week.

However, on Monday, Aug. 8, a new remix of "Friday" (featuring Missy Elliott) will hit radio airwaves, the web and digital retailers.

LMFAO Fends Off Katy Perry to Stay Atop Hot 100

If the sales, airplay and streams of the track are strong enough, it could push the song to No. 1 in the coming weeks. (All versions of a song and its remixes are generally merged together for charting purposes.) Last week, it trailed the current Hot 100 No. 1, LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem," by about 50,000 digital downloads on the Digital Songs chart. Over on the Radio Songs tally, "Friday" was behind "Party" by 2 million in audience points and had been the greatest gainer for the past three weeks.

This late-in-the-game remix-release strategy has become a popular concept in recent months. In April, Rihanna enlisted Britney Spears for a remix of the former's "S&M" that prompted its jump to No. 1. Shortly after, Spears turned to Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha to help out with a remix of her track, "Till the World Ends." Its release helped push the single 11-3 on the Hot 100.

But let's get back to Perry versus Jackson. Perry has so far claimed four No. 1s from "Teenage Dream" -- "California Gurls," the title track, "Firework" and "E.T." (featuring Kanye West). "Last Friday Night" is in its second week at No. 2 and its seventh frame in the top 10.

Katy Perry Nears Michael Jackson No. 1s Record

Jackson's five No. 1s from "Bad" are "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," the title track, "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Man in the Mirror" and "Dirty Diana." Some fans might have immediately thought "Thriller" held the record for the most No. 1s, since it was such a monster album. While it did spawn seven top 10 hits, only two of them -- "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" -- hit No. 1.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/katy-perry-could-tie-no-1s-record-with-missy-1005306182.story

It's amazing how the press wants this fifth # 1. It's pathetic.

It's not pathetic, it's human nature to desire to see new records. It's a form of excitement people crave. It's like how people want to see athletes break world records when watching the Olympics.

Even if Katy Perry ties or even breaks Michael's record of having five #1 hits from one album, so what? It doesn't make Katy Perry "Queen of Pop". Michael was and still is in his own league. Nobody can touch his status.

Think abou it this way. We want Michael to break records. We cheer when he has Billboard Top 100 hits from the 60's to the 2010's. Katy's fans are the same. They want to see their idol breaking records.

There really nothing to be nervous about. Michael's status is solidified. People may not want to acknowledge it. But, his influence is everywhere. There is no need to put down other people's success.

All of Michael's songs should be #1. Real Music comes from the heart....this "Trendy-pop" doesnt....it comes from the sexual organs.

It's not pathetic, it's human nature to desire to see new records. It's a form of excitement people crave. It's like how people want to see athletes break world records when watching the Olympics.

Even if Katy Perry ties or even breaks Michael's record of having five #1 hits from one album, so what? It doesn't make Katy Perry "Queen of Pop". Michael was and still is in his own league. Nobody can touch his status.

Think abou it this way. We want Michael to break records. We cheer when he has Billboard Top 100 hits from the 60's to the 2010's. Katy's fans are the same. They want to see their idol breaking records.

There really nothing to be nervous about. Michael's status is solidified. People may not want to acknowledge it. But, his influence is everywhere. There is no need to put down other people's success.

Do you really believe that the press is with good intentions?

BoyzIIMen broke records set by Elvis and the press ignored. Now the same media campaigns to Kety. Please go back to the real world.

BoyzIIMen broke records set by Elvis and the press ignored. Now the same media campaigns to Kety. Please go back to the real world.

I think everyone is just excited that Katy Perry might actually tie and beat a record set by Michael Jackson. It would be an amazing success for Katy and I'm not surprised her fans and music fans in general are excited.

I do need live in the real world. Thank you! There is no need to be condescending. You don't need to agree with me. But, being respectful to people with different opinion is the key to a civilized conversation.

Do I believe that the press has good intentions? No, I don't. Most media companies are for-profit organizations that do not put educating and informing the public on top of their priorities. So, I never let myself to be influenced by media like Billboard or Rolling Stone. They can write whatever they want, I don't listen to them. Actually, many people with slight music knowledge realize Michael Jackson's multiple talents are unparalleled. Whether they want to acknowledge it is another story.

MJStorm, sometimes it's good to see things from another angel, you may be able to reach a different conclusion. Why people always say so and so is the new "King of Pop"? Have you considered the fact that it's because Michael's achievement is considered the benchmark of the industry? Michael set the bar so high that his standard is what everybody is looking upon and hoping to cross. Why would people want to bring up Elvis' record if it's really not that worth mentioning? When people mention the name Michael Jackson, people pay attention. That's why his name is mentioned all the time.

I have never worried about Michael's status as the greatest entertainer ever. The press can say whatever they want. The media comes and goes. Michael is here to stay. I'm perfectly content with my belief.

MJStorm, sometimes it's good to see things from another angel, you may be able to reach a different conclusion. Why people always say so and so is the new "King of Pop"? Have you considered the fact that it's because Michael's achievement is considered the benchmark of the industry? Michael set the bar so high that his standard is what everybody is looking upon and hoping to cross.

I haven't thought much about this but you make a very good point. We should take it as a compliment that people are constantly being branded the "new King of Pop". I have nothing more to add here, you said it perfectly.

Do I want her to tie Michael....No lol. But if it happens it doesn't take anything from Michael. I have to say that if she has to remix the song to go number 1 then maybe the song isn't really meant to be a #1. I think it should happen based on the original song. I am sure everyone would love to have their songs #1 but they all don't remix the song that I know of. It seems certain people are doing it. Michael didn't remix any song from Bad to go #1. If she does tie him then she should say what an honor it is to be with Michael.

23mtrft.gif

I think everyone is just excited that Katy Perry might actually tie and beat a record set by Michael Jackson. It would be an amazing success for Katy and I'm not surprised her fans and music fans in general are excited.

She could never beat his record, unless she scores six #1s.

IMO Billboard and media talk about fifth #1 only because it's MJ record and they want to be tied (and then broken with another single!?) ONLY because it's his record.

For example with "Hold My Hand" Michael Jackson had a chance to broke a record of longest span of Top 40 hits held by Santana and that is/was major record and what Billboard and other media did? They ALMOST completely ignored that subject?! And BTW "Top 40 hit" is VERY important subject for Billborad. As a chart buff during last 25 years I read/have countless Billboard articles (and there is even a nine editions of book "The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits") but MJ chance to broke a record of longest span of Top 40 hits was almost completely ignored?! Interesting! :scratch:
Of course at the end Jackson broke the record but....

Regarding Kerry I saw zillion articles on net about how she'll tie/broke MJ record! On Hot Digital Songs chart her song peaked long time ago and it's dying faster than LMFAO but now with remix and biggest airplay she has a good chance to score fifth #1 BUT without media/press help her chance to score that fifth #1 would be very slim even with remix!

During Bad era there was countless articles where media wrote bulls..t regarding MJ singles, "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" is #1 only because it was first single and song didn't deserve to be #1, Dirty Diana is weakest #1 of the year etc. etc. :angry:

Double standards!

IMO Billboard and media talk about fifth #1 only because it's MJ record and they want to be tied (and then broken with another single!?) ONLY because it's his record.

For example with "Hold My Hand" Michael Jackson had a chance to broke a record of longest span of Top 40 hits held by Santana and that is/was major record and what Billboard and other media did? They ALMOST completely ignored that subject?! And BTW "Top 40 hit" is VERY important subject for Billborad. As a chart buff during last 25 years I read/have countless Billboard articles (and there is even a nine editions of book "The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits") but MJ chance to broke a record of longest span of Top 40 hits was almost completely ignored?! Interesting! :scratch:
Of course at the end Jackson broke the record but....

Regarding Kerry I saw zillion articles on net about how she'll tie/broke MJ record! On Hot Digital Songs chart her song peaked long time ago and it's dying faster than LMFAO but now with remix and biggest airplay she has a good chance to score fifth #1 BUT without media/press help her chance to score that fifth #1 would be very slim even with remix!

During Bad era there was countless articles where media wrote bulls..t regarding MJ singles, "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" is #1 only because it was first single and song didn't deserve to be #1, Dirty Diana is weakest #1 of the year etc. etc. :angry:

Double standards!

Thank you. It's good to see members without an agenda.

Thread is cleaned Stop the arguing _ I suggest you put each other on ignore
It is not fair to the members for you to derail the thread in this manner_
Its childish and ridiculas _ Back on topic ..

She could never beat his record, unless she scores six #1s.

I think that if she gets this song to #1, she will release a 6th single and promote it like crazy.

Thread is cleaned Stop the arguing _ I suggest you put each other on ignore
It is not fair to the members for you to derail the thread in this manner_
Its childish and ridiculas _ Back on topic ..

I agree with you. But please, I beg to you avoid calling members (or their/our attitudes) "childish and ridiculous". You are a moderator!

Thank you.

I find it a little desperate that her people are releasing a remix to get that #1 position, because the original single couldn't do it. They really want to get that record don't they? :smilerolleyes: Michael didn't need gimmicks like that to achieve it.

I still can't tell you a single song of hers that hit #1.

I can list all MJ's number ones. Even non hardcore fans know: Man in the Mirror; Dirty Diana, The way you make me feel, Bad..maybe less known is I Just Can't Stop Loving You.

Even my 5 year old niece knows these song.... (And I had nothing to do with it...MJ transcends time)

I just bought Rock Anthem by LMFAO and I have a lot of people calling in radio stations request the song by LMFAO to prevent this she doesn't deserve top share that title with MJ and the Billboard charts are once again trying to bring MJ down because her new single is a remix and they will count the sales of that + the regular single to try to bring MJ down we have to do something

I just bought Rock Anthem by LMFAO and I have a lot of people calling in radio stations request the song by LMFAO to prevent this she doesn't deserve top share that title with MJ and the Billboard charts are once again trying to bring MJ down because her new single is a remix and they will count the sales of that + the regular single to try to bring MJ down we have to do something

Thank you.

PS: I LOVED your signature.

I can't find it a compliment with some of the titles the media is given this "achievement" from Perry! They are over doing it and some are reporting falsley that she already did it in some articles. They seem to act or really don't know the diffrence between Pop and the Hot 100 chart. LOL

And the fact that she needs the song remixed says alot, MJ did not need to do that now did he? When they show him respect and don't ignore his recording breaking achievemensts from the past and that he recently had then I will say other wise, But, right now it's pretty much B.S!

Their always looking for another king of pop, now in this case a queen! Even when the man was alive. Their so always quick to look for a replacement! Well what the f*ck was wrong with havin MJ? That always freakin annoyed me!

And it's not a fan acting jealous but, the damn truth. No one will ever compare, that I know and ain't concern over. But, they can atleast show the man more respect is all I really ask for. And when I say they I mean Billboard, the media and Perry herself too because with the whole remix thing now it just looks desperate on her and her people's part, like really! lol

I don't care any Perry's chart. I just want to know, After 25 year from now how many people are still listen to those her music? :popcorn:

It's so tacky the way she is desperate for the 5th number 1.she couldnt do it alone and the radio guys and billboard and whole music industry all want her to match the record and eventually break it.
I was bothered initially but now I dont give a damn.she would never be the icon mj was

I can't find it a compliment with some of the titles the media is given this "achievement" from Perry! They are over doing it and some are reporting falsley that she already did it in some articles. They seem to act or really don't know the diffrence between Pop and the Hot 100 chart. LOL

And the fact that she needs the song remixed says alot, MJ did not need to do that now did he? When they show him respect and don't ignore his recording breaking achievemensts from the past and that he recently had then I will say other wise, But, right now it's pretty much B.S!

Their always looking for another king of pop, now in this case a queen! Even when the man was alive. Their so always quick to look for a replacement! Well what the f*ck was wrong with havin MJ? That always freakin annoyed me!

And it's not a fan acting jealous but, the damn truth. No one will ever compare, that I know and ain't concern over. But, they can atleast show the man more respect is all I really ask for. And when I say they I mean Billboard, the media and Perry herself too because with the whole remix thing now it just looks desperate on her and her people's part, like really! lol

Love the above post. Katy Perry is No.1 on the Billboard Pop Chart (and I'm not sure the Pop Chart even existed when Michael was releasing singles from Bad, because Pop wasn't a genre in the 1980's like it is now. Because Pop meant all chart based music of all genres back then), but she's still as No.2 in the Hot 100 Chart which is the "Official Chart" for singles were Michael holds the record.

The media going on about Katy Perry equaling Michael record of 5 No.1 singles off one album, hasn't happened and is inaccurate and exaggerated reporting. And this reminds me of the early 2000's when the Eagles "Greatest Hits" album overtook sales of Thriller in the USA by sales of 1million, making it the "Biggest Selling Album in the USA". The media then started saying that the Eagles have over took Michael Jackson's Thriller album of the "Best Selling album of All Time", giving the wrong impression that the Eagles album was the the best selling album of all time worldwide. When it's worldwide album sales were still more than 30million behind Thriller. I'm pretty sure Michael's 2008 re-release of the Thriller 25th Anniversary Album has put it back as the biggest selling album of all time in the USA, considering it reached No.2 (though it's official sales made it No.1 again, but some Billboard Chart rule doesn't allow re-released albums to reach No.1?).

As for Missy Elliot being a Michael Jackson fan, and appearing on a remix of a Katy Perry song made specifically to equal Michael's record of 5 No.1's off one album. Shame on her! ............ besides aren't Missy Elliot guest raps on songs very lame now, because guest raps are all she appears to do.

I could accept if Katy Perry equaled Michael's record of 5 No.1 singles of one album. But the fact is the media would use this to try and diminish Michael's amazing achievements, because there is always a nasty undertone and a hidden agenda from in the way the media report things like this when it comes to achievement by Michael Jackson. Mariah Carey only has to get another 2 or 3 No.1 singles in the USA Billboard Hot 100 chart to equal the joint record for No.1 singles held by The Beatles and Elvis Presley. Yet when the time comes to her nearing there record, I'm sure Billboard Magazine and most of the media will do there most to say how terrible Mariah Carey's music is etc. I dislike Mariah Carey's music as much as Katy Perry, but I think you all know what I mean about the double standards and hierarchy when achievements set by Michael Jackson in comparison to other artists like Elvis who didn't even write there own songs. Michael wrote and composed (without any collaboration) 4 of his 5 No.1 from the Bad album, and I'm sure that is also a record.

Last edited:

Apparently Katy will make a video (remix) with Missy and ... Rebecca Black.

Tell me about despair. But I do not know if it's true, after all.

From UKMix:

"Last Friday Night Pt. 2 Music Video "Another Friday Parti".

Plotline:

Rebecca ends up being a bad friend and starts dating the guy Kathy likes. Kathy calls her friend Missy, who is known to not be messed with, for help. Sincd Kathy is not grounded anymore both plan a "Parti" to not only celebrate Kathys birthday, but to win back her man. Parti starts and everyone is having fun until Kathy goes into the kitchen to get 'jello shots her patents left her' and finds herself surround by Rebecca and her possy. Rebecca throws her 'Jello Shots' to Kathys face and a brawl ignites. Four against one little Kathy. I Think Not. Missy joins in and "Slams Dunk" Rebecca and her possy. As Rebecca, with two black eyes, leaves the party, she calls the cops. Missy & Kathy spend the night in jell not wanting to make that " I'm in jail" phone call, but little did they know; they would become " Friday Parti Legends" "

Meanwhile, the music falls on iTunes ... and mysteriously grows on the radio.

iTunes:

1 - Moves Like Jagger - 100%
2 - Party Rock Anthem - 91.59%
3 - Lighters - 84.38%
4 - Super Bass - 72.88%
5 - Pumped Up Kicks - 68.49%
6 - Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - 67.63%

Radio:

1. KATY PERRY - Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.): 146.675 (+ 0.443)
2. LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem: 140.732 (- 0.254)

Last edited by a moderator:

Desperados!

I just listened to this song on youtube and man it sucks imo!!!!!!!!! Really im more pissed that her bubblegum songs are even compared to Michaels masterpieces and that she will tie to MJs record with this crappy song... seriouly guys if it were a singer/band that had great songs with great messages I would be happy for them... call me bitter but I cant be happy when a song like " Last Friday Night" will be THE song that ties MJs record...

I agree with you. But please, I beg to you avoid calling members (or their/our attitudes) "childish and ridiculous". You are a moderator!

Thank you.

Yes I am a moderator. I could have very well used the words "Rude and inconsiderate" which would also apply to the
over 22 posts I had to delete in this thread to bring it back on topic. Ill stand by the words I chose of whats going on
by a few in this thread

Suggestion to All: Discuss the topic without belittling each over your various views and opinions.

Please stay on topic :flowers:

Last edited:

I find it a little desperate that her people are releasing a remix to get that #1 position, because the original single couldn't do it. They really want to get that record don't they? :smilerolleyes: Michael didn't need gimmicks like that to achieve it.

I totally agree and have thought the same thing. The whole thing looks a bit desperate now. If it happened on its own then fine but it deosn't seem that way.

Ouch Rebecca Black? The poor girl that sings that horrid "friday"song?! o_O If true then it's behind desperate! lol Plus, why( if true) have a video with a young girl who's like only 14 doing Jello shots as part of the story line to Perry's new video? okaayyyy?! O_O Even though it'll be pretend it's still wrong, again if true?

Back