"Captain EO" Will Return to Disneyland-Update pg28. Paris confirmed (threads merged)

Review of Capt. EO from a Cal St. Fullerton Univ. Student

Review: Captain EO

By Danielle Flint
Published: April 07, 2010
Photo by Adrian Gaitan/For the Daily Titan

If you haven’t already heard, the King of Pop is back on the big 3-D screen at the happiest place on earth. Michael Jackson stars as Captain EO in a 17-minute film with the same name, reclaiming the theater sandwiched between Space Mountain and Star Tours. Captain EO was a big hit in the ’80s, but waned in popularity as Jackson became less and less relevant. It was finally replaced with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience in 1998.

Its return sparked a wave of nostalgia amongst avid Jackson and Disney fans alike, and it was no surprise when they flocked to the Magic Eye Theater for opening day. Having only acquired the ability for long-term memory in 1994 and no interest in 3-D movies until 2000, I was unable to see Captain EO during its heyday. I, like many curious members of my generation, was eager to catch a glimpse of the cause of all the hubbub.

So, cutting to the chase – is Captain EO worth a side trip during your meticulously-planned day at Disneyland?
Yes.

However, I wouldn’t recommend an immediate journey to the rattling and bouncing theater, nor would I recommend more than one viewing for the rest of your adult life – once is enough, trust me.
Once you pass the gift shop window filled with “Captain EO” printed T-shirts (only $26.95!), you might find yourself face-to-face with a less than ideal wait time. I managed to slip in with a pair of goofy plastic glasses right as the doors opened and found a seat near the back, but don’t expect such a lucky break when you’re standing shoulder-to-shoulder with 300 of your closest friends. A woman whose job could easily be replaced by a recording welcomed the audience to the show, the crowd screamed and the room went dark.
What happened next is still hazy. I won’t give away all of the super sweet graphics (a rotating asteroid made of paper mache ominously floating toward my face was the most notable), but I will mention that it was hard to contain my laughter throughout most of it. Glowing rainbows flying out of MJ’s T-shirt and turning trash
monsters into attractive background dancers with feathered hair, a puppet-elephant-marshmallow ruining absolutely everything, and a robot with a mustache cloud my memory when I try to recall most of the film. The audience participation was the icing on the deliciously bad cake. I doubt Lady Gaga gets the sort of reception MJ did when his jerry-curled head popped onto the screen for the first time.
I was more impressed with the score during the film. “We Are Here to Change the World” had me tapping my toe against the sticky floor as the entire theater bopped along with the music.
The story was lacking, and the acting was sub-par at best, but that shouldn’t deter you from seeing Captain EO.

Michael Jackson’s 3-D debut is less about quality of storytelling and more about experience. There wasn’t a single person leaving the theater with a frown on their face, and, though reasons varied, (a nostalgic return to childhood, smug amusement or genuine enjoyment), no one was disappointed. Disney may be milking this cash cow for all he’s worth, but at least they’re doing it with a classic; I can’t wait to show my kids.

I’ll end this with the kind words a father shared with his young daughter when she asked if Captain EO might scare her:
“No, sweetie. The only scary thing to come out of the ’80s was Ronald Reagan.”
http://www.addtoany.com/share_save?...eview-captain-eo/&linkname=Review: Captain EO
http://www.dailytitan.com/2010/04/07/review-captain-eo/http://www.addtoany.com/share_save?...eview-captain-eo/&linkname=Review: Captain EO

Re: Michael Jackson's "Captain EO" Will Return to Disneyland (threads merged)

hahahahahaha @ that article! ^

-Dal

Thank you for posting!!

Does anyone know something about Captain EO in Disneyland Paris? Is Captain going to come to Paris in general?

I love the sparkly button! I hadn't seen that before. I must get one! And maybe a jacket... I will be heading to see EO next week. Can't wait!!!

I grew up watching Disney's things and I always want go to the parks. Now I've got a new motive to go... I really hope can go onde day.

The film may be back at the Disneyland Paris park this July.

stay tuned...

I saw Captain Eo in 1992 when I went to Disneyworld; I was 10, and my sister was 7....We thought we were really gonna meet Michael, so we got our autograph books all ready to go! :lol: Needless to say, I was disappointed when we didn't meet him :( :hysterical:

I've heard it's gonna in Paris in june or july 2010 instead of "Cheri j'ai rétréci le public", the attraction where the famous scientist has made is family tiny (i just don't know how it's called in english) ! Anyway, it would be great to have The Captain E.O again !! Hope they'll do it !

I have heard a lot more Paris rumours this week. God I hope its true, need to go to Paris if it is! Yay excuse for a holiday lol!

Yes. The word is Disneyland Paris said this weekend in a internal meeting that "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" is closing on may 3 and will be replaced in july with Captain Eo. We have an annual pass for the Park so... can't wait to be there!

Ahmahgaaawd, please let's all pray for Captain EO coming back to Paris as well! :wild::clapping::punk:

OOOh finally maybe Captain EO is going to replace honey I bore the audience!

First time I went to Paris, EO was replaced by this stupid and not funny at all, piece of ....

OOOh finally maybe Captain EO is going to replace honey I bore the audience!

First time I went to Paris, EO was replaced by this stupid and not funny at all, piece of ....

I was lucky. The only time I have ever been to Disneyland Paris was a week before Captain EO was removed so got to see it! Its soooo amazing!

I was lucky. The only time I have ever been to Disneyland Paris was a week before Captain EO was removed so got to see it! Its soooo amazing!

Me too, already got the chance to watch it several times in Disneyland Paris back in the 90's in 3D, and also in Michael's own Movie Theater in Neverland, in 2D but still with the most amazing sound system (the best so far...), great picture and the most comfortable seats, it was truly insane!

I miss that so much...

Just got back from Disneyland; what an absolutely magnificent place. Completely detached from reality. You can really tap into your innocence. It's a trip everyone should make someday, with friends or family.

Anyway, I saw Captain EO three times! The theater was packed each time, with people dancing outside waiting to get in, and MJ always got thunderous applause on his appearance, which was always repeated as the film ended (and when it began, for that matter!). People would laugh every time the two 80s lookin' guys came dancing out of the pods, which was hilarious. The second time I saw it, I swear most of the audience went "AAaaaoow!" right as We Are Here To Change The World began. Very lively and appreciative crowds, it was perfect. :)

P41400193.jpg

P4150099.jpg

I wonder if Michael ever had the chance to properly enjoy Disneyland, he would love that place so much. Anyone know?

Just got back from Disneyland; what an absolutely magnificent place. Completely detached from reality. You can really tap into your innocence. It's a trip everyone should make someday, with friends or family.

Anyway, I saw Captain EO three times! The theater was packed each time, with people dancing outside waiting to get in, and MJ always got thunderous applause on his appearance, which was always repeated as the film ended (and when it began, for that matter!). People would laugh every time the two 80s lookin' guys came dancing out of the pods, which was hilarious. The second time I saw it, I swear most of the audience went "AAaaaoow!" right as We Are Here To Change The World began. Very lively and appreciative crowds, it was perfect. :)

P41400193.jpg

P4150099.jpg

I wonder if Michael ever had the chance to properly enjoy Disneyland, he would love that place so much. Anyone know?

Sounds like you had an awesome experience. I love when the audience gets involved like that. Oh yes, Disneyland really is wonderful isn't it? It's my second home :)

I know Michael went to Disneyland a lot during the 80s wearing disguises.

Michael took his kids a lot to Disney too. Michael adores Disney, its an amazing place, I love it too! Please let the Paris rumours be true, please let them be true!

I hope it is true Captain EO will arrive in PARIS soon, that is the only reason for me to visit Euro Disney once more......

I hope it is true Captain EO will arrive in PARIS soon, that is the only reason for me to visit Euro Disney once more......

ooh I hope it will come to Paris too, I will go for sure then!

I went to Disneyland Paris this winter, but if EO comes back, I'm going to plan another trip!

I love Captain Eo, would love so much to see it on the big screen surrounded by people that are as happy as me to see it.

Sounds like you had an awesome experience. I love when the audience gets involved like that. Oh yes, Disneyland really is wonderful isn't it? It's my second home :)

I know Michael went to Disneyland a lot during the 80s wearing disguises.

sounds like we had the same experience,lol. The most loyd applause I noticed wuz the second the film showed MJ for the first time, and of course the end every cheered. It wuz so great cuz you could feel the luv for Michael :wub:

If CEO really comes back to Paris, it won't be dubbed in French like all the tv series in France, will it? :D

Still waiting for confirmation.
I'm sure some of you have already tried, but I have sent them an email asking about it.
Just gotta wait to see if I get a reply now....*crosses fingers*
xxx

Wow every time ive seen it I have had a douchey audience that makes fun of Michael when he says "Where going in"

and they all yell EEEEEHEEEEY JAMON!

is that true???

@DisneyParks Michael Jackson East Coast fans... Walt Disney World, will once again have Captain EO by the end of this year.

Back