2000 Watts- The Truth On MJ's voice

actually I read once a q by Seth Riggs himself.... unfortunately the q I read was in Polish ... tried as I might I could not find the original one but I will one day

Seth Riggs knows better and for sure

lol

seth rigs says MJ talks like Mufasa?

Ur right ur gonna have to fetch that original for me to believe that :lol:

how come

you cannot be... it is all I can say.....

Because the person who did that voice is credited in the episode and is a fairly well known voice actor who has worked on many shows, including The Simpsons. If they used his name without permission, they would get sued up the ass, lol. It's not Michael, I would bet my life on it.

Last edited:
DUDE seriously....

The voice in 2000 watts is not THAT low..

It sounds deeper than it actually is because of the instramentals.. It's a darker tone, which makes everything sounds deeper than it really is..

It's an overall tone that your mind hears..

Your mind creates a feeling, a sound also.. That's why music is so powerfull.. The reason why they play sertain music at sporting events, elections, ancient compititions, movies..

Every instramental has a mental reaction.. U hear a very high and long string. Ur mind prepares for something bad happening..

It's all a mental trick..

His voice is not THAT low.. It is just a LITTLE lower than 'who is it'..

And knowing Mikes voice did get A LITTLE deeper since then, it is fully understandable how he can get to that tone..

mental trick lol
your an expert, eh? :)
anyone who has experiences with producing music or a pitchable recordplayer
can tell that his voice is a little pitched down in "2000 Watts"

yes, michael has a deep voice... but THATS NOT IT ...in this case alone.

but anyway... its like pee'ing against the wind... trying to explain that here. :D

Last edited:
it was altered, yes, but not necessarily to lower his pitch. Why would he do that when he can sing it in that pitch anyways? The acapella of Who Is It is proof of that. MJ can sing much deeper than 2000 Watts anyways...he HAS sung much deeper than that.

Last edited:
anyone who has experiences with producing music or a pitchable recordplayer
can tell that his voice is a little pitched down in "2000 Watts"
well then you'd also know that MJ/Riley would have digitally downpitched his vocals and still maintained the right formant that's currently enabling you to suspect such a change.

an extreme e.g. (to emphasise this):

Natural Mike
Pitched Mike (by 4 semitones)
Pitched Mike with corrected formant (can never tell it's been pitched)

so unless you're sampling like ditsy Kanye, no producer in the world would shift vocals without correcting the formant - so you'd never suspect a change in pitch like you're doing right now.

and we know Mike's been able to naturally alter this particular character of his voice quite a few times before.

so i wouldn't be so assured about this, as easy as it is to jump on.

Last edited:
Because the person who did that voice is credited in the episode and is a fairly well known voice actor who has worked on many shows, including The Simpsons. If they used his name without permission, they would get sued up the ass, lol. It's not Michael, I would bet my life on it.

what if you lose your life.... lol

wannabe, don't do this :no:

:cheeky:

lol, I won't cinderella, don't worry about me, lol.

And good points arXter. I guess what people don't get is the kind of control and range Michael has over his voice. He can actually sing in very high and very low registers and shift between them seamlessly. And as you explained earlier about the control he actually has over the tone of his voice, etc... Like J5 said, Michael has sung lower then on "2000 Watts", just not often because he's a high tenor, but he can sing base, and as exampled on that short clip from Seth, he most likely does it often in warm ups and excersizes.

Last edited:
well then you'd also know that MJ/Riley would have digitally downpitched his vocals and still maintained the right formant that's currently enabling you to suspect such a change.

an extreme e.g. (to emphasise this):

Natural Mike
Pitched Mike (by 4 semitones)
Pitched Mike with corrected formant (can never tell it's been pitched)

so unless you're sampling like ditsy Kanye, no producer in the world would shift vocals without correcting the formant - so you'd never suspect a change in pitch like you're doing right now.

and we know Mike's been able to naturally alter this particular character of his voice quite a few times before.

so i wouldn't be so assured about this, as easy as it is to jump on.

the key to tell its been pitched is that the formant is not correct.
and i dont know how anyone could do this with his natural voice.
(unless you inhale some sulfur hexafluoride gas before singing... :D)
its like the song has been slowed down as a whole without any other change.
thats what gives the more evil unnatural feeling to his voice in 2000 Watts
...from which you can detect the manipulation.
if you dont hear that ...oh well.

Last edited:
the key to tell its been pitched is that the formant is not correct.
and i dont know how anyone could do this with his natural voice.
thats what gives the more evil unnatural feeling to his voice in 2000 Watts
...from which you can detect the manipulation.
if you dont hear that ...oh well.

obviously i hear a change in formant - hence all my previous posts LOL - my point is, he's been able to naturally adjust this character of his voice. [see previous posts regarding this in this thread; search for 'formant'. - a ventriloquist skill, if you like.]

on top of that, it would make sense to correct the formant digitally if you're manipulating the time/pitch of the track. that's one mofo of a trick that would make it impossible for us to detect the true range of vocalists, but it happens all the time.

so with that, i wouldn't come to an assured conclusion that the voice is pitched down.

you can't do that and maintain professional release quality. if you try to manipulate the time or pitch of a complete, mixed track then you'll always lose a lot of quality (you can try it with the best algorithms and always get the same result). they wouldn't do that - they'd record each instrument part as is and then manipulate the vocals before baking the cake.

- if that was in fact the case, which i don't think it is
afro.gif

hence why i don't see the point in it.

Last edited:
I believe his voice was altered for the track. The whole lingo on the track is a "digital" vibe, it makes sense that his voice was toyed around with digitally. There are even spots in the track where there is a T-Pain-esque vibe with his voice changing notes digitally. Yes, he probably sang in a lower register and if you look at the video of him speaking at James Brown's funeral on Youtube, his voice can get quite low. Nobody is really disputing that. However, I don't think he just sang the song in a low key and that was that. There is obviously some alteration going on.

I think the misconception here is that "Michael Jackson only has a high-pitched feminine voice, he can't sing that low" and that brings out immediate claims of him having his voice changed for the track. I don't think he went in the studio and sang in a high note which they lowered... he sang in a lower register and the track was mixed and his voice toyed with digitally to alter the entire sound. Barry White couldn't have sang that song without them altering his voice to get the right sound that the track was aiming for.

Last edited:
obviously i hear a change in formant - hence all my previous posts LOL - my point is, he's been able to naturally adjust this character of his voice. [see previous posts regarding this in this thread; search for 'formant'. - a ventriloquist skill, if you like.]

although we all know michael has superpowers... :D
the first thing i will think when i hear a voice thats not natural sounding...
is that it was altered in the studio.
its a lot more reasonable i think...
i mean ..why go through the hard work of trainging your voice
for ONE song ...when it could be done by effects with a few clicks by the producer.
but anyway ..to be 100% sure we'll have to wait untill michael or the producer tells us. :)

you can't do that and maintain professional release quality. if you try to manipulate the time or pitch of a complete, mixed track then you'll always lose a lot of quality (you can try it with the best algorithms and always get the same result). they wouldn't do that - they'd record each instrument part as is and then manipulate the vocals before baking the cake.

- if that was in fact the case, which i don't think it is
afro.gif

hence why i don't see the point in it.

when working fully digital, yes.
but its not a secret that analog techniques adds some warmness to sound
(through band saturation etc)...
and thats why many professional studios include an analog band machine in the
recording / mastering process to get back that warmness.
in that stage ...it would be no problem to change the tempo
before digitalizing it again.
anyway ...just guessing that part. no idea when they changed it...
all i know is - i - do not hear a natural altered voice in that song. :D

Last edited:
I believe his voice was altered for the track. The whole lingo on the track is a "digital" vibe, it makes sense that his voice was toyed around with digitally. There are even spots in the track where there is a T-Pain-esque vibe with his voice changing notes digitally. Yes, he probably sang in a lower register and if you look at the video of him speaking at James Brown's funeral on Youtube, his voice can get quite low. Nobody is really disputing that. However, I don't think he just sang the song in a low key and that was that. There is obviously some alteration going on.

I think the misconception here is that "Michael Jackson only has a high-pitched feminine voice, he can't sing that low" and that brings out immediate claims of him having his voice changed for the track. I don't think he went in the studio and sang in a high note which they lowered... he sang in a lower register and the track was mixed and his voice toyed with digitally to alter the entire sound. Barry White couldn't have sang that song without them altering his voice to get the right sound that the track was aiming for.

exactly. :)

all i know is - i - do not hear a natural altered voice in that song. :D
lol how would you know? have you heard the Akon prank phone call? remarkable how he changes the voice - and no it's not a machine, you can actually hear a natural transition at the end from natural voice into weird voice. the low end is remarkable lol i'm sure you've heard it..

and re: analogue time/pitch change - you'd still lose resolution, they'd never do it after mixing in this day and age.. just doesn't make sense.

Did the clip I sent you work arXter? I uploaded it in WAV format, and I know some people have had trouble with that. If it didn't work, I'll upload it for you again in another format.

yeah and i think THOSE QUOTES are a load of crap. If that, meaning the voice he uses in concerts and stuff, is his "real' voice and the "other" voice is what he uses to fake people out, then he hasn't done a good job keeping up the act. We've heard his "real" voice countless times. (YRMW intro for example?)

Anyways that doesn't even make sense cuz there have been many invasions on MJ's privacy in which u can hear him in PRIVATE, and he speaks like he does in public. So MJ's soft (not high, but SOFT) voice is no act, and he doesn't keep the deepness of his voice secret, it's always there.

What quotes? I still don't get what quotes people are talking about... Something in my video or the stuff from his friends?

Nah. The point of my video wasn't to show that Michael changes his voice completely on purpose or something to fake us out... but we DO change our voice at least a BIT in certain situations. I know for a fact that I do the same thing. My voice gets a bit more 'girly' when I'm around a boy I'm interested in - a situation in which I'm nervous. When I'm talking to one of my best friends on the phone, I talk a bit more normally. There isn't a huge difference, but there is something there changing...

My best guess was just that his voice is a bit softer and possibly higher due to him being shy and unable to trust people easily (can you blame him?) but when he feels a bit more comfortable and safe (for whatever reason) he goes back to normal -- whether he's controlling it or not.

I'm going to take down my video, though. :/ There's no point in keeping it up if it's got footage that was altered. Thanks for letting me know... lol.

It's a shame, it gained a lot of views for two months and barely anyone knowing me. :lol: :(

Did the clip I sent you work arXter? I uploaded it in WAV format, and I know some people have had trouble with that. If it didn't work, I'll upload it for you again in another format.
worked great, thanks a lot. i just wanted to stress Michael's ability to make such an extreme change to his voice (even more so than the harmonizing and low singing in songs)

http://www.box.net/shared/phoidzkgs8

this is the part i was talking about, nearing the end there when he says "didn't youuu". LOL

lol how would you know? have you heard the Akon prank phone call? remarkable how he changes the voice - and no it's not a machine, you can actually hear a natural transition at the end from natural voice into weird voice. the low end is remarkable lol i'm sure you've heard it..

and re: analogue time/pitch change - you'd still lose resolution, they'd never do it after mixing in this day and age.. just doesn't make sense.

What makes you so sure that wasn't a machine? When someone answered the phone and then right before they hung up.... I'd be highly, HIGHLY surprised to find out that was MJ's voice. You could even hear static and crackling like it was a machine.

What quotes? I still don't get what quotes people are talking about... Something in my video or the stuff from his friends?

Nah. The point of my video wasn't to show that Michael changes his voice completely on purpose or something to fake us out... but we DO change our voice at least a BIT in certain situations. I know for a fact that I do the same thing. My voice gets a bit more 'girly' when I'm around a boy I'm interested in - a situation in which I'm nervous. When I'm talking to one of my best friends on the phone, I talk a bit more normally. There isn't a huge difference, but there is something there changing...

My best guess was just that his voice is a bit softer and possibly higher due to him being shy and unable to trust people easily (can you blame him?) but when he feels a bit more comfortable and safe (for whatever reason) he goes back to normal -- whether he's controlling it or not.

I'm going to take down my video, though. :/ There's no point in keeping it up if it's got footage that was altered. Thanks for letting me know... lol.

It's a shame, it gained a lot of views for two months and barely anyone knowing me. :lol: :(

That's exactly what happens. Everyone's voice changes in register depending on the situation. Sometimes my voice gets really deep and other times it's much higher, depending on who I'm talking to or how I'm feeling.

worked great, thanks a lot. i just wanted to stress Michael's ability to make such an extreme change to his voice (even more so than the harmonizing and low singing in songs)

this is the part i was talking about, nearing the end there when he says "didn't youuu". LOL

Awesome, that's great. Yeah, Michael's voice sounds like it belongs to a completely different person there. It's craaazy. I don't know how he does it, that's control.

What makes you so sure that wasn't a machine? When someone answered the phone and then right before they hung up.... I'd be highly, HIGHLY surprised to find out that was MJ's voice. You could even hear static and crackling like it was a machine.

Actually no, that really is Michael's voice, he's just altering it. He did the exact same voice in a 1975 home movie which is floating around youtube. He actually can change his voice like that, which is crazy.

I just watched that on Youtube, you're probably right, he switched from that crazy voice to his own too fast for it to have been fake.

The reason I think his voice in 2000 Watts is altered though, is not because he has a high/low voice, but because you can actually hear the digital fluctuations in his voice. As I said, there are spots where he sounds like T-Pain. Maybe they didn't digitally LOWER his voice, but they've obviously done something to digitally alter the sound, much more than beyond the normal digital clean-up.

no one is disputing digital alterations.. i can bet my house (dorm room) that all the tracks on Invincible have massive vocal processing.

what i'm disputing is the assurance that the vocals (or even worse, the whole track) has been pitched down.

lol how would you know?
i meant to say ...i know (and i can only know as far as my own listening experience reaches)
that i hear a voice thats not sounding natural. ;)

have you heard the Akon prank phone call? remarkable how he changes the voice - and no it's not a machine, you can actually hear a natural transition at the end from natural voice into weird voice. the low end is remarkable lol i'm sure you've heard it..

yes i know that voice... its a while ago...
but as far as i can remember it didnt have an unnatural sound...
its was just a freaky totally different sounding voice.
but it didnt sound pitched down... as in 2000 Watts.

hey, what about 50 Cent... he ...ah ..."did" that low pitch voice
in his track with timbaland and justin as well. lol
do you think that was altered naturally too? :D

Last edited:
yes i know that voice... its a while ago...
but as far as i can remember it didnt have an unnatural sound...
its was just a freaky totally different sounding voice.
but it didnt sound pitched down... as in 2000 Watts.
oh yeah, that's not unnatural lol like just about anyone can make such a drastic change to their voice?

and re: low end:

listen to when he says "didn't you" the second time and tell me it isn't 'abnormally' low relative to his modal register.

hey, what about 50 Cent... he ...ah ..."did" that low pitch voice
in his track with timbaland and justin as well. lol
do you think that was altered naturally too? :D
why would i? has he shown a natural ability to alter formant character before? f||ck fiddy, the mofo can't even talk properly let alone rap or sing. they can distort his voice down to 1bit and it still wouldn't make a difference.

(and i can only know as far as my own listening experience reaches)
seems like it needs to reach farther
f_hug.gif

Last edited:
oh yeah, that's not unnatural lol like just about anyone can make such a drastic change to their voice?

and re: low end:

listen to when he says "didn't you" the second time and tell me it isn't 'abnormally' low relative to his modal register.

well ...low ..but not the way as if he would speak through a timefold like on 2000 Watts.
whatever ..believe what you want...

why would i? has he shown a natural ability to alter formant character before? f||ck fiddy, the mofo can't even talk properly let alone rap or sing. they can distort his voice down to 1bit and it still wouldn't make a difference.

we're not talking about distortion.

seems like it needs to reach farther
f_hug.gif

farther yourself lol...
to keep an open mind next to having an opinion is a great thing, you know? :)

lol just harmless banter my friend, it's just that you seem determined to think having pro audio knowledge/skill gives upper hand in here lol it doesn't..

but my whole point is to keep an open mind! that's what i'm arguing for - you seem so determined it is digitally pitched down, and i'm saying that he has reached even lower registers before and with a different character than his normal frequencies. so.... we'll agree to disagree.

Why would that voice he made on the phone be a machine when he made almost the exact same voice (with a different accent) when he played the mayor in Ghosts?

Back