Would You Mind If Michael Took The Hip-Hop Direction????

I'd say the stuff the Last Poets made is way older than this track and The Sugarhill Gang. Some country songs were basically "rapping" like 'Convoy' and 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia' and they predate 'King Tim' also. Even the J5 with Bill Cosby song 'The Day Basketball Was Saved' could be called rapping as well as plenty of other older songs.

Rap has been around since forever. Hip-hop came in the mid-seventies. What I meant by that is hip-hop was much like what funk was: melodic, danceable and had a groove that it was easy to sing and/or rap over. That's why Teena Marie and Mary Wells were able to "rap" on their tracks. Stuff that the Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron were doing was what it's called "spoken word" but it's also a form of rap. Bo Diddley's "Say Man" came out back in 1959 and that's rappish. Ray Charles "rapped" in his early hit, "It Should've Been Me" in '53. But hip-hop came in the 1970s. The percussive-like beat that formed hip-hop's early years was similar to what Michael and Quincy were cooking up in Los Angeles.

yeah he changed the face of it.

here's an alternate cut of HIStory from him:

talk about melodic Hip-Hop - this is possibly my favourite piece of music especially with Mike on the vocals. beautifully solemn.
Oh snap where did you get this from? Is there more like it? That's really hot?

Oh snap where did you get this from? Is there more like it? That's really hot?
there were three official mixes made back in '95 by A Tribe Called Quest's Jay Dee (J Dilla), Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed but primarily by the late Dilla. i wish Mike took on some of those sounds back then - at least instead of opting for the obvious Dallas Austin.

Why is everyone so like "I don't want MJ to go hip-hop?" when his '80s essence captures the best of CLASSIC hip-hop? Sure MJ ain't from the streets but the way he carried himself professionally between 1979 and 1987 had a hip-hopish feel to it. He didn't begin to gear away from that part of his image until the "Dangerous" thing. That's when he became "THE KING OF POP". He had no need to act gangsta so he began to experiment outside what he'd normally do. Hip-hop is more than rap verses and deejay scratching records on the turntable and people doing the b-boy stance.

Good point. I cannot understand it myself. It is just music. Today's hip hop is not good because of the lyrics, the images, the artists' constant troubles with the law, and the media's obession of trashing the genre. People need to stop looking at it as a negative thing. I used to be like that with country music until I listened to some of the songs and the lyrics were really good and it told a story and I can relate to what they were talking about. That is what music is suppose to do with people. It is not supposed to trash people. You kanow what I mean? I mean, I thought MJ fans were open minded and were acceptable? I am very tired of some people so fully aganist hip hop as a whole just because of what the mainstream media wanted to show the public. On, point, Timmy.

Goodness, I would love it if MJ does something with hip hop and make it hot. If he can get to work with artists that feel him on hip hop like he does, then I am all for it.

Anyway, carry on.

there were three official mixes made back in '95 by A Tribe Called Quest's Jay Dee (J Dilla), Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed but primarily by the late Dilla. i wish Mike took on some of those sounds back then - at least instead of opting for the obvious Dallas Austin.
Oh thank you so much for the mixes. I have heard of ATCQ but haven't really listened to them. I think my bro may have had one of their cds. Once again thank. The mixes defo proves michael can do hip hop, good hip hop.

hey you guys maybe michael can make a new genre like hip-pop.Like a mixture of the two. IDK just a thought Or hip-rab (rhythm and beats) lol ;D

^ well T. Riley helped pioneer the fusion of R&B and Hip-Hop back in late 80s and Mike rode on this for Dangerous.

since then, we've seen all sorts of fusions and hybrids go on back and forth so i can't see what Mike can do that's so pioneering and commercial at the same time except put his own unique touch on current styles like he did awesomely well with Riley back in '91.

and you're definitely right about Mike's compatibility with this sort of Hip-Hop. tis boo'iful.

He def should! Since thats the way music is going currently

Go here:

http://www.jayquan.com

It'll tell you all you need to know for the "lost" era of hip-hop that was forgotten about shortly after the arrival of Run DMC, LL Cool J, the Beastie Boys and 'em.
Ok; done! :D

That was enjoyable, and historically educational too.

Here in Montreal there's quite a big hip-hop scene, a lot of it in French; I haven't really checked it out all that thoroughly, but I do enjoy some of it. I like some stuff by Dubmatique like La Force De Comprendre (1997, French and Engilsh), and more recently songs by Île City like Revolution and Be Around. There's also Yvon Krevé.

I like positive, fun music generally. Would it be too much to ask that you start a thread with fun, positive hip-hop?

The Fruity Pebbles commercial- :lol:

Ok; done! :D

That was enjoyable, and historically educational too.

Here in Montreal there's quite a big hip-hop scene, a lot of it in French; I haven't really checked it out all that thoroughly, but I do enjoy some of it. I like some stuff by Dubmatique like La Force De Comprendre (1997, French and Engilsh), and more recently songs by Île City like Revolution and Be Around. There's also Yvon Krevé.

I like positive, fun music generally. Would it be too much to ask that you start a thread with fun, positive hip-hop?

The Fruity Pebbles commercial- :lol:

Glad you looked at the site. :kickass:

Michaels music no matter what genre reaches everyone..

People that only listened to hip-hop in the listened to Mikes album.. Those into Rock only listened to Mikes album.. Those into Pop listened to Mikes album..

There is something about how Michael makes music that reaches all music lovers.. That's why MJ fans are so diverse.. Someone can listen to 'Slipknot', then go listen to Michael Jackson.. People listening to '2 Pac' will turn around and listen to Michael..

Michaels music reaches beyond genres.. There is no need to worry about what direction he tries out next, because the eliments he puts into it, will be MICHAEL JACKSON.. Which EVERYONE is drawn to.

I think he would do good in anything he does and he has always had a sound of hip hop as far as i can see. So like the other fan said Michael would fix it and only make it better. I would still buy his music in what ever he does.

Not at all. :)

REAL hiphop is a GREAT thing.

MJ can change his sound all he wants, as long as it's the same MJ at heart, and he's not trying to be something he's not.

Maybe in one track could be something new ....... but changing totally in this style I really think it's not a good thing.....

I listen to Hip Hop quite a bit but I think the MJ style is perfect the way it is. Some of the beats of his songs are amazing though an remind me of Hip Hop sometimes.

i wouldnt mind. i'm happy with everything Michael does. i would still listen to his voice and music. May be i'm not the right generation for the hip hop music, though i even used to like Eminem for a short period of time long time ago :)
when my class is listening to remixes from Thriller or Hold my hand - they're saying "this is a great music". they wouldnt notice if it was just Billie Jean or just Wanna be starting something, not a remix. I am ok with this kind of style but it doesnt inspire me. may be i'm too old or dont understand something

may be Michael is right to go into this market. the majority of kids would love him to be that style. the market will be his at once cause the quality of his music is not comparable to anyone's

I like Hip Hop and it would be a nice surprice in one track, not an entire album because to me his style it's perfect the way it is.

I have been a long time fan of hip hop, but hip hop is struggling these days. Hip hop sales fell by 25% last year while other areas such as rock increased its market share. Because of that I don't think that Mike should make a complete hip hop album, or use hip hop stars as guest collaborations. Also,the hip hop direction has featured on his albums already since Dangerous. I think if he really wanted to take people by surprise he would have to embrace live instruments and have a couple of rock inspired tracks on the album. Real guitars and drums and not many samples or loops. Sure, he's has rock inspired songs before with the likes of Van Halen and Slash, but I still think people would be surprised if he did it on the new album. From what we have been hearing in the rumour mill, it sounds as though the new album will be very R&B, hip hop , and urban. The rumoured collaborations all point in that direction.

uh.... I LOVE hip hop but NOT for michael jackson no way! i actually like the beats in thriller25 but the rapping by will i am eww (s3x machine, peel of like a tangerine WTF!!!!) m/b for 2 r 3 songs not mike in baggy pants and sh!t oh HELLZ no!:no:

Hip Hop beats, rock feel and symphonic clasical sound uniting all, would go magnificent together. Michael already did that with Too bad, Tabloid Junkie and This time around. he also got used it for Is it Scary and Ghosts.

Yes, I would. I rather see good looking men than numerous naked women (dancing around an ugly sitting lazy man) in a video.
even though some songs in hiphop styyle are ok its the way they bring it its all about sex and money i sure would not like seeing mj making videos sitting on a couch with half naked woman acting like prost....with him at least then it would be one of the many vids my sun will not get to see this is one of the reason why i made mtv and tmf oflimit for my 8 yr old (i m sure some of you see me as oldfashion now but i dont think this is the right thing for kids to be watching)so yes i would mind that .however if he kept the music and words as clean as he usually does i could probaBly live with it lol

Last edited:
those who don't want Mike to go in that direction might have a shocker to come considering everyone that is working with him.. The people we know are working with him are in pop, R&B, hip hop.

i doubt he'll come out looking like a 50 year old plastic gangsta so other than that no i dont care cause hes worked with different ppl in the past like dallas austin etc and his music doesnt suddenly become a rap about going out with whores. and u can bet 90% of the ppl who are supposedly working with him wont make the album anyway lol

Last edited:
Back