Would You Mind If Michael Took The Hip-Hop Direction????

I wouldn't mind, as long as it's good hip-hop. He can deal with every kind of music but he has to get involved in the production.

Hip Hop music goes far beyond RAP..

Michael is a vocalist/singer.. He's a song writter. He's a musical genius. You take that with the sound that most connect to hip-hop today, it will be HOTT..

He would take hip-hop to another level.. He would change the whole axess the industry has been on for a while.. Everyone would fallow his direction..

Wather we like it or not.. Hip Hop is the future of entertainment.. More and more are they allowing hip hop dances, music and styles in places never allowed before.. From Brodway musicals to business areas.

Now Michael is a person that could take hip hop and turn the wheel into a different direction, that it has been going.. He is what Hip Hop needs right now..

People will fallow HIS path.. He might not revolutionize music again, but he'll impact it in a big way once again.

Last edited:
Ye . Mike did get involved with Hip-Hop anyway in the 90's

yeah that's true, but he didn't get that involved in his last album (even if Invincible is not a bad album), that's why it's important that he knows he is the boss.

yeah that's true, but he didn't get that involved in his last album (even if Invincible is not a bad album), that's why it's important that he knows he is the boss.

2000 Watts is a bit hip hop and so is Heartbreaker with the beatboxing.

hip-hop aint dead .. u soundin like nas

Hip hop is gone, it had its peak. These rappers need to go get some proper talent... all the talking about money and showing off has killed the music. Its all about image... and the image sucks.
"I got 5 bentley's, i got a big chain gold rings. i got 4 houses, i got gold teeth, I got all that what you got, dont even come to me if you aint rolling in a bentley!" All thoes are the mentality of a hip hop/rapper. Childish!

Beatboxing isn't hip hop per se. Bobby McFerrin for instance or Kathy Sledge & Denise Pearson.

well the sound of Heartbreaker to me is pretty hip hop, not just the beatboxing. Beats, everything.

well the sound of Heartbreaker to me is pretty hip hop, not just the beatboxing. Beats, everything.

I agree with that but you can't say that it's a Michael Jackson production. You can hear his style in this tune but not as much as in his other albums. This one's a Rodney Jerkins' tune. Well in my opinion.

No one can say hip hop is dead.. Especially in this time where the ENTIRE music industry has fallen into a coma. It's not JUST hip-hop.. It's mainstream music as a whole.. It's all fast food music.

It's a cycle that turns itself wrong.. See how it goes back and forth??

A record label puts the money into creating a product. Which is the album and the artist behind it.. Well while albums are only selling 3-8 million now days, they will not spend the same amount of money on album projects.. (Studio time, Album, videos, PR, etc) All that costs money. But they make albums for PROFIT. If albums are only selling a few million, they cannot fork out 'X' amount of dollars and make little or no profit...

THEN... Because they don't spend that money on the project, the outcome is worse.. When the outcome is worse, less people buy the music...

It's a twindeling cycle that will continue getting worse and worse.. UNTILL!!!

Someone and company decides to release mainstream music simply for the sucess of the album and artist.. Money being secondary.. Once this happens, it can either do one of 2 things.. If not both..

1) The album would be unusually large (compared to todays market)

2) It will give a new standard for record companies to reach up to.. Seeing that if the money is put into the production the proper way, it will PAY OFF..

It will highten the artists career.. And if done in the best way possible. will effect the industry as a whole in a great big way..

HIP-HOP is NOT dead.. The entire music industry has fallen a sleep and has been surviving on this FAST FOOD MUSIC..

We need someone like MICHAEL JACKSON, who is making a HOME COOKED MEAL to feed us with something great..

We are all hungry, and ready to eat.

Heartbreaker sounds more like some electro to me, sort of an updated Kraftwerk or Midnight Star. I'd rather he make a jazz album.

well it's not like MJ stayed away from hip hop. MJ has clearly embraced it. Even if you don't feel Heartbreaker is a "MJ" tune, MJ put it on the album. He worked on it, and helped produce it. He's simply not gonna put something on the album that he doesn't like. MJ has said that he likes hip hop and he has criticized it. Just cuz he criticized it doesn't mean he's gonna stay away from it, in fact i think he really enjoys that genre since he seems to look for people who specialize in it to be in his albums someway. Even Invincible (at least 4 songs on the album had a rap to it). He's been doing that since it got popular. Even Unbreakable (considering the LONG rap by Biggie on there) is hip hop.

I remember when Invincible first came out the kids took that exact beat from Heartbreaker (cuz it was "so raw") and had rap battles with it during lunchtime :lol:

If heartbreaker sounds electro too (which it does)...kinda shows how diverse hip hop can be too if done right. You got hip hop that can be alternative sounding, gospel sounding, pop sounding...that's why I defend the genre when people trap it into "rump shaking" box. It's a legit art.

And it's funny, cuz Invincible is mostly R&B too as well as pop. That album is really R&B rich...how did he go "away" from himself? lol

Last edited:
I'd rather he make a jazz album.

That would be something... He has so much things to do, why wouldn't he record an album every year, just like Pince? He wouldn't care about the sales, just the music. That would be wonderful.

I just think he should leave off the Heal The World, Lost Children, Childhood type songs. The songs are nice but I think they interupt the flow of the albums. Just make a separate album for those.

That would be something... He has so much things to do, why wouldn't he record an album every year, just like Pince? He wouldn't care about the sales, just the music. That would be wonderful.
Well Prince's whole life is the studio, that's why he has over a thousand unreleased songs. Prince doesn't have children, doesn't really socialize. He just constantly records, do shows, go to Jehovah Witness meetings, and worry about bootlegs and people putting his video footage online - that's it. When have you seen Prince in a tabloid or talked about on TV? He's kinda anonymous. Mike isn't a studio rat. He only records when he makes an album. Mike has a life beyond music, Prince doesn't.

I just think he should leave off the Heal The World, Lost Children, Childhood type songs. The songs are nice but I think they interupt the flow of the albums. Just make a separate album for those.

Sort of like the separation of Church and State in the American government system. :lol: It's an idea. Then again, if he can really jazz up a Heal the Worldish kind of song it might go over....like Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On. They don't all have to be gospel-sounding or sweet and sugary to be poignant, imo. Jam is a good example. Funky song but full of thoughtful messages everyone could use.

Ummm.... as for the topic, a 100% hip hop album would be interesting if he could change it up and bring something new to it, I think. I'm not a hip hop head but some of it is catchy so I probably wouldn't mind some cuts with that flavor. Like others have stated, he's been sorta doing songs with a hip hop flavor for a bit and some of the songs were great, imho, so I wouldn't be too scared. :lol: It would be nice if he could mix it up with some grown-folks music (i.e. Robin Thicke, Alicia Keys). Someone needs to try and bring that kind of music back to the forefront in a way that appeals to the younger ones too. Alicia does a great job at it, imo.... music the yougin's and the grown folks could listen to and enjoy together. How about a fusion of grown folk hip hop with a smooth jazz twist. :yes::no: :burstbubble

At the end of it, whatever Michael puts forth, I'm sure I'll find something to enjoy. What I don't enjoy, there's a little thing called the skip button. :cheeky:

Last edited:
How about a fusion of grown folk hip hop with a smooth jazz twist.
Well to do that, he should work with Jill Scott, Raul Midon, Erykah Badu, Chrisette Michele, Eric Benet or even DJ Jazzy Jeff instead of Akon.

Christ, he sounded like such a girl when he whined about being told to "eat a dick" even though he's *gasp* 17 years old

LOL. That comment that Ice T said to Souja Boy about you know... was uncalled for. However, I find it funny.

Wendy, on point with everything you stated. When MJ mentioned in the Ebony article about putting melody into hip hop, I have to admit, I was puzzled. I always seen hip hop as beats and samples. Never really about the melody. However, since Mike is a musical genius, he might just incorprate (sp) melody into hip hop. I certainly want to hear that.

As for hip hop being dead, I have to agree to a certain extent. There are many pop rappers that are just killing the art form and making it into a mockery and I think that is what Ice T was REALLY trying to say about Souja boy but it came out wrong and funny. However, there is a concern with hip hop and many genres in general. When was the last time you heard a really good pop song? Miley Cyrus stuff does not count. I mean, where are artists that are trying to make great pop ballads and songs? I remember when I was a child, I listened to the same music that my parents listened to and when I turn on the radio and they play those songs from that time period (late 1980s), the memories just comes back to that time in my life. When I listened to songs that are "popular" today, I hate most of the songs. The lyrics are terrible and these children are being feed this nonsense. There is no real creativity in hip hop and if there is, that hip hop artist(s) is/are being totally ignored. So, I would love MJ to go to the hip hop direction a little and maybe change it around.

Well to do that, he should work with Jill Scott, Raul Midon, Erykah Badu, Chrisette Michele, Eric Benet or even DJ Jazzy Jeff instead of Akon.

Maybe they ALL can work together to make it happen. :cheeky:Your chocolate bar in my peanut butter makes Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. :lol: (anyone old enuf to remember that commercial?) Wasn't there a rumor about him working with Chrisette Michele at some point? There's been so many rumors about so many ppl that I may have that mixed up. :unsure:

LOL. That comment that Ice T said to Souja Boy about you know... was uncalled for. However, I find it funny.

Wendy, on point with everything you stated. When MJ mentioned in the Ebony article about putting melody into hip hop, I have to admit, I was puzzled. I always seen hip hop as beats and samples. Never really about the melody. However, since Mike is a musical genius, he might just incorprate (sp) melody into hip hop. I certainly want to hear that.

*fingers and toes crossed he can pull it off* We belive we believe we BELIEVE! :angel:

As for hip hop being dead, I have to agree to a certain extent. There are many pop rappers that are just killing the art form and making it into a mockery and I think that is what Ice T was REALLY trying to say about Souja boy but it came out wrong and funny. However, there is a concern with hip hop and many genres in general. When was the last time you heard a really good pop song? Miley Cyrus stuff does not count. I mean, where are artists that are trying to make great pop ballads and songs? I remember when I was a child, I listened to the same music that my parents listened to and when I turn on the radio and they play those songs from that time period (late 1980s), the memories just comes back to that time in my life. When I listened to songs that are "popular" today, I hate most of the songs. The lyrics are terrible and these children are being feed this nonsense. There is no real creativity in hip hop and if there is, that hip hop artist(s) is/are being totally ignored. So, I would love MJ to go to the hip hop direction a little and maybe change it around

I know exactly what you mean, Bee! :girl_sigh:

Early rap had melodies, because most of it was played by bands like the Sugarhill Records house band or Orange Krush.

^ but at the same time the Beastie Boys and Wierd Al have a very minimal career right now.. It's not about IF Michael can. It's more about if he would..

Michael is a singer.. Made his career AS one of the greatest at that.. Beastie Boys and Wierd Al did rap as a part of there career..

Early rap had melodies, because most of it was played by bands like the Sugarhill Records house band or Orange Krush.

People often neglect that part of hip-hop's history.

Nowadays people associate hip-hop as having gold chains and bling and wearing street clothes but hip-hop in its infancy was basically FUNK music.

In fact I've be inclined to believe hip-hop's GREATEST era was 1979-1982 when groups like the Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Kurtis Blow and Afrika Bambattaa set the stage for what was then a revolution in black music.

The time hip-hop started to come out, MJ became a solo star with "Off the Wall".

HIP-HOP is NOT dead.. The entire music industry has fallen a sleep and has been surviving on this FAST FOOD MUSIC..

We need someone like MICHAEL JACKSON, who is making a HOME COOKED MEAL to feed us with something great..

We are all hungry, and ready to eat.

you've made interesting comments and i agree with you-IP-HOP is good and healthy, home made food is healthy so avoid fast growing junk food music.

The Beastie Boys are in their 40s and they still record. Weird Al can rap pretty good and he's about the same age as MJ.

but they not tellin girls 2 lick a lollipop or shake they money makers...n wens the last time u heard of them?

Last edited:
Back