Will.I.Am said Mike Wanted Autotune!!

Auto tune is used when a record company has a beautiful (well) girl with big boobs who desperatily wants to record albums. But can't sing. Used correctly it can do wonders on a poor vocal. LOL

Well didn't Will say that Michael still sings as a bird. So there you go.

That was exactley my point!
That's why it is wierd to know he "used" it.
no, it's used by every pop engineer out there to 'perfect' even the most unnoticeable (and the most human) of pitch-notches. it's become a standard in the engineer's toolkit. again, wouldn't be surprised if all those "digital editing" engineers on Invincible used it on Mike's vocals.

and in the case of using it as a noticeable instrument/effect, go listen to T-Pain.

mike would not use this kind of effects on the main voice.but he can and he always did use all kinds of effects on the backgroud voices.so don't worry -he knows best:)

I think your friend might be be bluffing, besides, W.ill.iam is staying hush about MJ, why would he randomly tell some stranger that? Anyway, whether it's true or not, it's not exaxtly a revealing piece of detail, we know what MJ's voice sounds like computerized, some of the songs on Invincible anybody?!

I personally think he should stay away from all that, his voice is sweet as it is, standard tweaking is okay, but if it starts to get vocoded to the same level as T-Pain.....:mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, autotune is not really a vocoder. There is a great thread about vocoders and talk boxes at the Non MJ music forum. Very informative thread.

Maybe some people didn't like it on "Invincible". LOL

I only liked the joints where he's singing his heart on, lol. And there was a lot of that. :p

This thread is funny. Please don't lose your head over something you don't the specifics of. Besides, the fact that he couldn't get it to do what he wanted should be enough proof to you that the whole T-pain thing isn't what he's going for. If he wanted that, they'd know how to do it. It might be primarilly to use it with the music, not the voice. Really, it could be anything. You'll know (or not maybe) when you hear the music :)

autotune is great. I use it all the time to make the singers voices sound better.

He's already done it on tracks. 2000 Watts, Unbreakable and Threatened. He hasn't done it to the extent of T-Pain, but it's not as if he's a only singing into a mic and leaving it be at that. He likes altering the sound of instruments and his voice.

Yes, and all of those were on the Invincible album, which has been his least popular one - probably for that reason. I think he has an amazing voice, and I love it when I can actually hear the purity of his beautiful vocals. I mean, I think it's ok to experiment a little, but most people just want to hear him sing. He's good enough to do that, whereas a lot of singers these days are not.

Some of you need to relax, Michael knows what he is doing! If he does use it, he will use it in the best way that it can be used! Don't freak out because of how you've heard other people use it, wait until Michael uses it, if he even uses it at all, before making assumptions. Remember this is not just any artist we're talking about here this is MICHAEL JACKSON! He won't just put out any ole thing. He never puts out anything but his best, so don't judge him by what others do.

Anyone ever think that maybe multiple nasal surgeries can have their effect on the singing voice?

Maybe some people didn't like it on "Invincible". LOL

I only liked the joints where he's singing his heart on, lol. And there was a lot of that. :p

Maybe some people did? Now what? LOL

Look Mike has never ever stayed put at one style. Nor has he ever ever stopped experimenting. ESPECIALLY with sounds and trends of the current times. He's always done it. So don't be shocked when you hear stuff like this.I mean gosh, this is like MJ appearing in pj's or a wheelchair and everyone starts freakin out as if something new is going on. :lol:

Either way MJ decided not to use it. But I mean it's just like MJ using hip hop in his music, MJ dabbles a lot and looks to see what he likes and what he doesn't. He uses current trends and makes it work for him. That's how he operates. So when you hear him using something current that DOESN'T MEAN that he's gonna sound like this and that crappy artist.

I mean, it's times like this where it seems like people really don't trust MJ's judgment when it comes to music. Meh. I choose to do THAT much, at least.

Look Mike has never ever stayed at one style. Nor has he every ever stopped experimenting. ESPECIALLY with sounds and trends of the current times. He's always done it. So don't be shocked when you hear stuff like this.I mean gosh, this is like MJ appearing in pj's or a wheelchair and everyone starts freakin out as if something new is going on. :lol:

Either way MJ decided not to use it. But I mean it's just like MJ using hip hop in his music, MJ dabbles a lot and looks to see what he likes and what he doesn't. He uses current trends and makes it work for him. That's how he operates. So when you hear him using something current that DOESN'T MEAN that he's gonna sound like this and that crappy artist.
clapping6uj.gif

spoken like a true fellow Dangerous groupie.

sorry for the overblown hands, the site with the normal ones got shut down. anyway, you got it spot on and i think everyone understands and knows this already, but the mere thought of "autotune" comes as a first shock impulsive response LOL

Hahaha Dangerous groupie. Got that right! :zformation: Betta rec'ogniiiiiizee

I mean not EVEN with just Dangerous though. Bad and Thriller AND OTW...MJ updated and experimented with current sounds and trends. That's just the MICHAEL JACKSON way. That's why he's so dang GOOD. Cuz he's an artist all the way around.

yes well people should know they should look up information and think about stuff before they jump to judgment.

Damn i do hate "auto tune". We more than love Michaels voice.

Little off topic but its about autotune never the less........

How to sell out the fans that love what you do. Example.... the fans that like Kanye rappin when hes longed for people to love him as a rapper, not just a producer he goes and sings with autotune. Kanye should stick to rapping and not singing with this crappy autotune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvk0zgapL6w&feature=related

i guess, but its how i see it if Mike was to use autotune (to kill songs) coz when you have a singing gods voice like he has.

Mike relies on his talents, not the tools. and that's what they are to him - tools. not trademarks or lifelines to a career.

experimentation can be a very good thing.

Exactly. There's no need to worry. Everyone here knows Michael can sing his butt off, at least I hope they do, lol. He's just experimenting and, as you said, using the tools. But it's his talent which makes the product as good as it is, we can't ever forget that. He isn't some manufactured pop star, he's an artist.

Anyone ever think that maybe multiple nasal surgeries can have their effect on the singing voice?

Pauleassee! Man, if that was gonna have any affect, we would have seen it a long time ago.

If ya'll don't think Michael can sing anymore, that's your problem. You don't automatically lose your voice over such a short period. Michael's in his vocal prime. I don't know how many times I've said that, but it's true. He doesn't need anything to make his voice sound as good as it does. That's just his voice and it's just that good. He only uses tools like these to smooth out any imperfections probably only he can notice.

Damn i do hate "auto tune". We more than love Michaels voice.

Little off topic but its about autotune never the less........

How to sell out the fans that love what you do. Example.... the fans that like Kanye rappin when hes longed for people to love him as a rapper, not just a producer he goes and sings with autotune. Kanye should stick to rapping and not singing with this crappy autotune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvk0z...eature=related

i guess, but its how i see it if Mike was to use autotune (to kill songs) coz when you have a singing gods voice like he has.

Kanye can't sing... at all. He's got no voice. Cher used it to the same effect, but it sounded cool when she did it because she actually has a voice.

arXter, using auto tune would be done with all artists these days to some extent. Sure Michael did Billie Jean in one take or whatever he may have done, but every other song would've been cropped, edited, distorted, layered and god knows what else.

Michael has a tremendous voice, yes... I think it's the best voice in the world when he gets right into it, but it's not flawless, just as ANY voice out there. Just like every new technology or new singer or new genre everyone fears Michael working with here, Auto-Tune doesn't spell the end of Michael Jackson as you think you know him.

It's quite ignorant in saying someone is a BAD singer if they've used auto-tune before. It's like telling someone they're a crap guitar player because they plugged in an effects pedal.

arXter, using auto tune would be done with all artists these days to some extent.
Will mate i agree with you, i already said this in my first post here on the first page. but:

It's quite ignorant in saying someone is a BAD singer if they've used auto-tune before..
no one can say someone is a bad singer if they had very minor pitch-notches corrected. but if you see a noticeable improvement by using these pitch-correcting programs, then you're obviously not as good a singer, no? of course before the digital age, analogue pitch processors did a very similar job. so it's been used throughout.

as for the extreme method of using these programs:
It's like telling someone they're a crap guitar player because they plugged in an effects pedal
.. to garnish a special noticeable effect (i prefer Melodyne btw lol), i just see it as another instrument or effect, like your pedal example.

we're on the same page.

Yes, and all of those were on the Invincible album, which has been his least popular one - probably for that reason. I think he has an amazing voice, and I love it when I can actually hear the purity of his beautiful vocals. I mean, I think it's ok to experiment a little, but most people just want to hear him sing. He's good enough to do that, whereas a lot of singers these days are not.

I highly doubt that the reason Invincible was his least-popular album had anything to do with a few random instances of "auto-tun effect" on a few sparse tracks. What about the marketing of the album? The fact only two singles were released on disc, one months after the album came out? Only one televised music video that featured him? Sorry, I highly doubt auto-tune had anything to do with it.

I am quite shocked at this thread. It's not as if will.i.am said MJ wants to do an entire hip-hop song sounding like T-Pain. I mean, personally, I'd love to hear a few songs where MJ uses nothing but authentic instruments. But he usually uses electronic sounds and digital instruments and the like and you know what? The end result is usually better than what I could have wished for so I don't really care. I see this in the same light. If he's going to use it, it's probably going to be done right.

Back