Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ultimate Collection booklet, Wikipedia and All The Songs say it is recorded in 1984...
Three of the most reliable sources lol. To be fair, All The Songs contains some really good and reliable information, but isn’t fully accurate. The other two, though, are not great sources, in my opinion.
Bill Bottrell confirmed in a Kingvention interview that recording began in late October 1985.
He also wrote this on gearspace.com back in 2009.

Well, not what they.. what Michael was doing... :) He was still alive and somehow decided to add a DANGEROUS era song to a T25...
i think it was cause michael saw it as a "thriller" track, and he used the most polished version of it to release. i heard he attempted to re-record it but his voice was too damaged or something so he used the dangerous vocals, could be very wrong with that though.

The confusion may have arisen because the song was written by Steve Porcaro, who worked extensively on the Thriller album.

It is odd though that the official Michael Jackson website states that 'Come Together' was recorded in 1988 ("The song was actually first recorded by Michael in 1988").

Joseph Vogel wrote (in his book) that the lyrics of 'Scared Of The Moon' were inspired by a story that American actress Brooke Shields told to Michael Jackson.

i think it was cause michael saw it as a "thriller" track, and he used the most polished version of it to release. i heard he attempted to re-record it but his voice was too damaged or something so he used the dangerous vocals, could be very wrong with that though.

He worked on some finishing touches on it but don't think he ever intended to re do the vocals.

He worked on some finishing touches on it but don't think he ever intended to re do the vocals.
yeah i knew there was something with re-recording or something like that, i do believe michael saw songs as songs from eras, regardless of when the vocals were done.

yeah i knew there was something with re-recording or something like that, i do believe michael saw songs as songs from eras, regardless of when the vocals were done.
But why would he see it as a Thriller era song? Remember, it was not written until the Dangerous era.

For All Time has a heavy-80’s sound. It doesn’t sound out of place for the time given he was working with Steve Porcaro through the early to mid 80’s.

I’m guessing the song was born out of the Thriller sessions, regardless of when it was worked on later.

For All Time has a heavy-80’s sound. It doesn’t sound out of place for the time given he was working with Steve Porcaro through the early to mid 80’s.

I’m guessing the song was born out of the Thriller sessions, regardless of when it was worked on later.
Yes, when I first heard For All Time, I thought it was from the Thriller era. It has an early 80s sound. Similar to Human Nature in a way.

Pretty sure it was written during the Dangerous sessions.

Yes, when I first heard For All Time, I thought it was from the Thriller era. It has an early 80s sound. Similar to Human Nature in a way.
I think we can apply Occam’s razor here. The simplest explanation is probably the most likely here. MJ put For All Time on Thriller 25 because he liked the song.

No, that's not correct. Steve Porcaro has mentioned during seminars that he did not write the song until the Dangerous era and that he himself did not understand why it ended up on Thriller 25, because it has nothing to do with the Thriller album.

Yep that's right Michael was sure this was never ever going to get beat and it never has to date. If officially correct in number of copies sold.

I think we can apply Occam’s razor here. The simplest explanation is probably the most likely here. MJ put For All Time on Thriller 25 because he liked the song.

It may have been some suit at Sony's who picked the songs, and MJ just approved the set list, not changing a thing. MJ himself may have misremembered when the song was recorded, or maybe he just didn't care.

It may have been some suit at Sony's who picked the songs, and MJ just approved the set list, not changing a thing. MJ himself may have misremembered when the song was recorded, or maybe he just didn't care.

He rejected a set Sony suggested that had the leaked Thriller demos on it so I think he did care what went on there. Why he chose For All Time is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
If you're an "MJ vocals expert analyser" as a member once wrote, you can tell FAT vocals are not from the 80s. The way he sings and how Mike's voice changed is spot on early 90s

Regarding why MJ put it on T25, I have a feeling he was requested to put one more unreleased song, and he just "gave" them FAT

I just don't believe MJ even put 1/10 of his heart into T25 come to think of it. Just no way. He approved it and all of that, but Michael must have been other places in his mind during those days. "Sony, I just need something to boost me off quickly to regain some popularity before I blast off"" - or something like that.

His redemption was going to be TII and new albums/songs from there on... :/

Last edited:
If you're an "MJ vocals expert analyser" as a member once wrote, you can tell FAT vocals are not from the 80s. The way he sings and how Mike's voice changed is spot on early 90s

Regarding why MJ put it on T25, I have a feeling he was requested to put one more unreleased song, and he just "gave" them FAT

I just don't believe MJ even put 1/10 of his heart into T25 come to think of it. Just no way. He approved it and all of that, but Michael must have been other places in his mind during those days. "Sony, I just need something to boost me off quickly to regain some popularity before I blast off"" - or something like that.

His redemption was going to be TII and new albums/songs from there on... :/
"Regarding why MJ put it on T25, I have a feeling he was requested to put one more unreleased song, and he just "gave" them FAT"

Written and performed by Weird Al Yankowitz

"Regarding why MJ put it on T25, I have a feeling he was requested to put one more unreleased song, and he just "gave" them FAT"

Written and performed by Weird Al Yankowitz
Yeah I was kinda throwed off for a second too... im like... what are you talking about🤣🤣

T25 was not a good release. Will I am and Fergie were a embarrassment to put on the greatest selling album of all time. That stuff was atrocious and should be forgotten for ever. Can’t believe MJ worked with Will, he was way past his prime at that point. MJs style does not come close to fitting with BEP. Just as bad as putting Timbaland in charge of Xscape. I don’t get these poor decisions at all. I don’t expect anything special with T40, unless there is something totally new I won’t be purchasing repackaged material. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

T25 is one of MJ’s few all-out misses. It had so much potential, and he squandered it. I like the remixes more than most (well, some of them), but in no world was that a better choice than the leaked tracks.

T25 was not a good release. Will I am and Fergie were a embarrassment to put on the greatest selling album of all time. That stuff was atrocious and should be forgotten for ever. Can’t believe MJ worked with Will, he was way past his prime at that point. MJs style does not come close to fitting with BEP. Just as bad as putting Timbaland in charge of Xscape. I don’t get these poor decisions at all. I don’t expect anything special with T40, unless there is something totally new I won’t be purchasing repackaged material. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.
As much as MJ was a huge genious, he did make some mistake musicwise. Back in the 80s Quincy Jones tried to tell MJ to include some rap in his songs. For example Run DMC were contacted, but the song was never recorded ("Crack Kills" I believe). MJ thought that rap was something that wouldn't last. When he stopped working with Quincy Jones (big mistake in my opinion) he hired Teddy Riley, and what did he finally get on Dangerous album? Some rap. It was way too late. It already felt more like copying others than being the pioneer such as with Thriller or Bad album. From then on, all he got was trouble with SONY and what not.

As much as MJ was a huge genious, he did make some mistake musicwise. Back in the 80s Quincy Jones tried to tell MJ to include some rap in his songs. For example Run DMC were contacted, but the song was never recorded ("Crack Kills" I believe). MJ thought that rap was something that wouldn't last. When he stopped working with Quincy Jones (big mistake in my opinion) he hired Teddy Riley, and what did he finally get on Dangerous album? Some rap. It was way too late. It already felt more like copying others than being the pioneer such as with Thriller or Bad album. From then on, all he got was trouble with SONY and what not.
MJ was remarkably terrible when it came to features, guest spots, and collaborations. He had a couple slam dunks (e.g., Biggie, Janet, Heavy D), but most were head-scratchers. No tracks with Whitney, Madonna, George Michael, Mariah Carey, Celine, Jay-Z, or Timbaland… in favor of Aqil Davidson, Princess Stephanie, Siedah Garrett, Shaq, and Fats.

Last edited:
It already felt more like copying others than being the pioneer such as with Thriller or Bad album.
In what way was Michael Jackson the pioneer with the 'BAD' album?

The 'BAD' album sounds like many albums that they had already come out before it in the '80s (synthesizers, drum machines, etc).

The only thing that you can say that Michael Jackson was the pioneer with the 'BAD' album was that this album was one of the very first albums that utilized the Monster Cable Technology.
Back in the 80s Quincy Jones tried to tell MJ to include some rap in his songs. For example Run DMC were contacted, but the song was never recorded ("Crack Kills" I believe). MJ thought that rap was something that wouldn't last.
It has been written that the actual reason was that Michael Jackson did not like the fact that Run-DMC members used to make negative comments about him.

The 'BAD' album sounds like many albums that they had already come out before it in the '80s (synthesizers, drum machines, etc).

The only thing that you can say that Michael Jackson was the pioneer with the 'BAD' album was that this album was one of the very first albums that utilized the Monster Cable Technology.

It has been written that the actual reason was that Michael Jackson did not like the fact that Run-DMC members used to make negative comments about him.
MJ was the first artist in America to use a synthesizer, drum track and sing all on one song thats why he was a pioneer with Bad

I'd argue Liberian Girl and Smooth Criminal were well ahead of anything any of Michael's rivals were releasing at that point.

The sonic sound design in both tracks were lightyears ahead

Last edited:

I’ll let Spike Lee answer: “Go to the charts ... and see what were the top albums 25 years ago, play those albums now and then play Bad, and then see which one still sounds fresh and doesn't sound dated”.

I personally don't have a problem with MJ working with Will.I.Am, we haven't heard anything he created with him and it was never finished. Those remixes though were awful I agree. Real head scratcher. I understand remixes as extra bonus material but those ones were particularly bad and like I said just leave me scratching my head when I listen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back