Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll let Spike Lee answer: “Go to the charts ... and see what were the top albums 25 years ago, play those albums now and then play Bad, and then see which one still sounds fresh and doesn't sound dated”.
Spike Lee was promoting the 'BAD 25' documentary film (that he directed and co-produced), hence that comment.
I'd argue Liberian Girl and Smooth Criminal were well ahead of anything any of Michael's rivals were releasing at that point.

The sonic sound design in both tracks were lightyears ahead
One might say that 'Liberian Girl' with its oriental, breezy sound was something unusual at the time.

But overall the album has been criticized for being sonically too calculated, for sounding over-produced with already known instruments, for having too many horn arrangements out of context, and so on.

Also, the 'BAD' album has Quincy Jones' typical orchestration, which was already apparent in certain of the producer's previous works.

If you're an "MJ vocals expert analyser" as a member once wrote, you can tell FAT vocals are not from the 80s. The way he sings and how Mike's voice changed is spot on early 90s
Oh, I know the difference between Michael's 90s and 80s vocals.

For many years, I was under the impression that For All Time is a Thriller outtake that Michael recorded in 2007 for Thriller 25. Obviously, I was wrong.

Regarding why MJ put it on T25, I have a feeling he was requested to put one more unreleased song, and he just "gave" them FAT

I just don't believe MJ even put 1/10 of his heart into T25 come to think of it. Just no way. He approved it and all of that, but Michael must have been other places in his mind during those days. "Sony, I just need something to boost me off quickly to regain some popularity before I blast off"" - or something like that.

His redemption was going to be TII and new albums/songs from there on... :/
I agree. MJ didn't seem like he had any desire to work on Thriller 25 and I guess the only reason he had to work on it was due to pressure from his label and the fact that Thriller 25 was a safe first project to release following the trial.

I agree. MJ didn't seem like he had any desire to work on Thriller 25 and I guess the only reason he had to work on it was due to pressure from his label and the fact that Thriller 25 was a safe first project to release following the trial.
Idk if he was forced by anyone or not but I don't think he would have worked on several songs by force.

Prior to T25s initially scheduled release date (December 2007) there were reports that MJ was working on 4 remixes as well as 4 "outtakes" - one of them supposedly being DBMR.

OCTOBER 18, 2007

HOPING TO RESUSCITATE his sputtering career, Michael Jackson is reportedly returning to a reliable source: his own 1982 album. According to reports, Jackson plans to spruce up the 25th anniversary of the album by adding four remixes of Thriller tracks. Those lending a helping sequined gloved hand on the remixes for “Wanna Be Startin’ Something,” “The Girl Is Mine,” “Billie Jean,” and “P.Y.T.” are Kanye West, Akon, and Will.i.am. Additionally, Jackson’s music attorney Peter Lopez says four leftover tracks from the Thriller sessions will be featured. One of the songs, “Don’t Be Messin’ Around,” is hyped as “killer” by Jacko’s ex-producer Bruce Swedien.

Last edited:
Idk if he was forced by anyone or not but I don't think he would have worked on several songs by force.

Prior to T25s initially scheduled release date (December 2007) there were reports that MJ was working on 4 remixes as well as 4 "outtakes" - one of them supposedly being DBMR.

Don't be messing round is a thriller era track? 😳😳😳

In what way was Michael Jackson the pioneer with the 'BAD' album?

The 'BAD' album sounds like many albums that they had already come out before it in the '80s (synthesizers, drum machines, etc).

The only thing that you can say that Michael Jackson was the pioneer with the 'BAD' album was that this album was one of the very first albums that utilized the Monster Cable Technology.

It has been written that the actual reason was that Michael Jackson did not like the fact that Run-DMC members used to make negative comments about him.
Well, it does not have to be a particular song like Beat It, Billie Jean or Thriller, but the general sound stood out compared to all other artists back in 1987. I remember I was blown away back then, especially with the song Dirty Diana with its cello sounds vs electric guitars bursting and MJ's incredible vocals at times sobbing, almost half-rapping and finally bursting with guitars. Smooth Criminal's intro was quite open to mind-creativity before the video was released - heavy breathing and heartbeats. When the video came out needless to say that the leaning became an instant classic. And the general sound of the whole album gave that feeling of being one of the most modern top notch sounds.

Regarding MJ's opinion on Run DMC back then has nothing to do with his opinion on rap which he thought wouldn't last.

Don't really know where the idea of MJ not at all being involved in T25 came from. He rejected a version and obviously had say over what was and wasn't included. I'm pretty sure including the remixes was his idea also.

Spike Lee was promoting the 'BAD 25' documentary film (that he directed and co-produced), hence that comment.
So what? He surely wouldn't have wanted to make a fool out of himself by stating something which is completely false. And you can hear it yourself if you go and listen to the albums and compare them.

The use of synthesisers on Bad was not nearly as heavy as on other albums from the period. Synths were certainly a big part of the production, however, because it was Quincy who produced the album, he decided to re-record most of the parts present on Michael's demos done at Hayvenhurst, using real musicians.
One might say that 'Liberian Girl' with its oriental, breezy sound was something unusual at the time.
How about Smooth Criminal? With its dark theme and drama, using police sirens and heartbeats as effects in the intro. Asking the same question in so many different ways without sounding silly and annoying. How many songs from the period are similar?

How about Speed Demon? With its blend of funk and rock, using car sounds and a somewhat unexpected storyline as its subject.
But overall the album has been criticized for being sonically too calculated, for sounding over-produced with already known instruments, for having too many horn arrangements out of context, and so on.
Critics in Mozart's time often commented that his music had too many notes. A critic in Beethoven's time called his Grosse Fuge "incomprehensible, like Chinese". Should we listen to them also?

And what do you mean by "with already known instruments"? How many instruments invented after 1985 do you know?
Also, the 'BAD' album has Quincy Jones' typical orchestration, which was already apparent in certain of the producer's previous works.
Most music critics agree that it is exactly Quincy's involvement on Bad which has made this album stand out in Michael's discography, alongside Off The Wall and Thriller.

I think they should've went with known lesser track. Knowing the estate.... it'll be the 1 from 2010

Have you guys seen this:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_40

Disc 1: Thriller
No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
1."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"Michael Jackson6:02
2."Baby Be Mine"Rod TempertonJones4:20
3."The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
3:42
4."Thriller"TempertonJones5:57
5."Beat It"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:18
6."Billie Jean"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:54
7."Human Nature"Quincy Jones4:06
8."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"Jones3:59
9."The Lady in My Life"TempertonJones4:59
Disc 2: Bonus Material.
No.TitleLength
10."Hot Street"3:53
11."Got The Hots"4:28
12."Behind The Mask (Original Version)"4:58
13."Carousel"1:50
14."Starlight (Thriller Demo)"5:11
15."Can't Get Out of The Rain"4:06
16."Scared of The Moon"3:43
17."Sunset Driver (Demo)"4:04
18."Stand Tall"4:27
19."Spice of Life"3:41
Total length:40:21
Deluxe edition bonus tracks (Digital Only)
20."Billie Jean" (Home Demo from 1981)JacksonJackson2:20
21."Billie Jean (Long Version)"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
6:20
22."Billie Jean 2008" (Kanye West Mix)Jackson4:35
23."Beat It" (Demo)JacksonJackson2:03
24."Beat It 2008" (with Fergie)Jackson4:11
25."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Demo)JacksonJackson5:43
26."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Tommy D's Main Mix)Jackson7:40
27."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" (with Akon)
  • Jackson
  • Akon
  • Tuinfort
4:14
28."Human Nature" (7" Remix)Jones3:45
29."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (Demo Version)Jackson3:46
30."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • Phillinganes
  • Adams
  • Harris
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
4:21
31."The Girl Is Mine 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
3:10
32."Thriller" (7" Special Edit)TempertonJones4:37
33."Thriller" (Def Thriller Mix)Temperton7:22
34."Thriller"
  • Jackson
  • Temperton
  • Jones
  • Ingram
9:14
Unless they have changed it... all the wiki says are TBH

Reactions: Dan
Wanted to be the first to mention it here, but Behind The Mask original version will be on Thriller 40!

edit: somebody already beat me to it on another thread lol

Wanted to be the first to mention it here, but Behind The Mask original version will be on Thriller 40!

edit: somebody already beat me to it on another thread lol
whats with the WWE Summerslam font?

I highly doubt Spice of Life was ever recorded by Michael Jackson. That was just a track by Temperton that had a similar melody to Baby Be Mine. That's it.

Unless they have changed it... all the wiki says are TBH
NOOOO. where is Chicago 45?? WTF? That is sooo stupid. It could be the best opportunity to finally release this song! And they fcked up this again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back