Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T25 was not a good release. Will I am and Fergie were a embarrassment to put on the greatest selling album of all time. That stuff was atrocious and should be forgotten for ever. Can’t believe MJ worked with Will, he was way past his prime at that point. MJs style does not come close to fitting with BEP. Just as bad as putting Timbaland in charge of Xscape. I don’t get these poor decisions at all. I don’t expect anything special with T40, unless there is something totally new I won’t be purchasing repackaged material. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.
It proved to be not a poor decision at all, at least from a commercial and chart aspect.

The 'Thriller 25' anniversary release served its purpose at that time because it sold a lot but also because Michael Jackson was again on the top of the charts while he reached the top ten in many national charts.

Especially, considering two important things: he just came from a turbulent period for him, and also that he had been inactive in the music industry for nearly five years.

Also, due to the inclusion of some contemporary and successful guest artists on that 'Thriller 25' anniversary release, many young listeners became aware of the original 'Thriller' album.

@dethorro, the police sirens and heartbeats as effects in the intro were not really necessary.

This also seems to explain why these heartbeats were removed from later re-releases of the album.

The strength of 'Smooth Criminal' comes down to its song-writing (melody, hook, etc) rather than to the way it was produced.

Also, using car/motorbike sounds in songs had already been in existence by other acts.

The 'Love Is The Drug' song (released in 1975, by English rock band Roxy Music) is just one of the many examples.

It seems that the first track on disc 2 is the original version of Behind The Mask, and it's been announced on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
Not very exciting, in my opinion. I was hoping for some never heard before song as the first track announced.

Releasing a fully-finished song on an anniversary reissue is the best opportunity? I’d rather they save it for a proper album.
What proper album?? They dont want to release anything lol! If not now, then we will have to wait more 10-15 years...

Releasing a fully-finished song on an anniversary reissue is the best opportunity? I’d rather they save it for a proper album.

I don't necessarily disagree. But we seemed to be consistently saying that Steve blocked Chicago 1945 from being remixed for a "proper album" in the past and that it being included as a 'Thriller-era' demo - as MJ left it more or less - was realistically the only chance we had of getting it. I'm just wondering when that all changed...?

What proper album?? They dont want to release anything lol! If not now, then we will have to wait more 10-15 years...
Well, yeah… that’s kinda the point of slow feeding us material — so there’s still stuff to hear in 10-15 years lmfao. I want new music as much as the next guy, but I also don’t want them to blow through the vault. I’d like to still be hearing new MJ tracks when I’m older.
I don't necessarily disagree. But we seemed to be consistently saying that Steve blocked Chicago 1945 from being remixed for a "proper album" in the past and that it being included as a 'Thriller-era' demo - as MJ left it more or less - was realistically the only chance we had of getting it. I'm just wondering when that all changed...?
It seems like Steve’s issue wasn’t with it being remixed, but being remixed by somebody other than him, seeing that he’s been reworking it over the last few years. I don’t think we’ll ever get it exactly as MJ left it, unfortunately.

I don’t think it’s entirely implausible that the estate resurrects their “one single every couple months” model, and that “Chicago 1945” is used as one of them. At least, that seems more plausible than Steve working on it and finishing it, only for it to go under the radar on T40.

Hot Street, She Trouble and Nite Line, you can that they will be present?!

@dethorro, the police sirens and heartbeats as effects in the intro were not really necessary.
We weren’t talking about whether or not they were necessary, and you know that.
This also seems to explain why these heartbeats were removed from later re-releases of the album.
The heartbeats and police sirens were never taken out. If you go to Apple Music and Spotify right now and play the song, you will hear them on both the original Bad and on Bad 25.
Also, using car/motorbike sounds in songs had already been in existence by other acts.
I didn’t say it hadn’t. I said it was rather unusual to have a song with those sounds and that theme on an album, in 1987.

Well, yeah… that’s kinda the point of slow feeding us material — so there’s still stuff to hear in 10-15 years lmfao. I want new music as much as the next guy, but I also don’t want them to blow through the vault. I’d like to still be hearing new MJ tracks when I’m older.

It seems like Steve’s issue wasn’t with it being remixed, but being remixed by somebody other than him, seeing that he’s been reworking it over the last few years. I don’t think we’ll ever get it exactly as MJ left it, unfortunately.

I don’t think it’s entirely implausible that the estate resurrects their “one single every couple months” model, and that “Chicago 1945” is used as one of them. At least, that seems more plausible than Steve working on it and finishing it, only for it to go under the radar on T40.
I have faith he will at least keep it close to the original intentions as that seemed to be his problem with the remixing. Still, I agree we will probably never get it how it was left originally which is unfortunate.

I have faith he will at least keep it close to the original intentions as that seemed to be his problem with the remixing. Still, I agree we will probably never get it how it was left originally which is unfortunate.
I’m hoping the same, but having MJ’s original producers finish his material has had a 1:1 success ratio in my opinion (for every John McClain, there’s a Lenny Kravitz). It’s always the honorable option, but it’s a toss up.

I wonder if the BTM vocals from the « Michael » version come from the demo or if other takes were done in the studio.

We all might be dead tomorrow. I might get hit by a bus on my way to work. I want them to release everything they have in a ten-CD box set right now. People who enjoy waiting for stuff can decide by themselves to only listen to a few songs every year, over the next 50 years if they want.

Why would the writer to a song get to decide what is done with a recording he didn’t pay for? Don’t those decisions rest with the record company or those who hold the rights not to the composition but to the recording?

We all might be dead tomorrow. I might get hit by a bus on my way to work. I want them to release everything they have in a ten-CD box set right now. People who enjoy waiting for stuff can decide by themselves to only listen to a few songs every year, over the next 50 years if they want.
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, lol. I want to hear everything too, but it’s not all about me.

We all might be dead tomorrow. I might get hit by a bus on my way to work..
And if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine.

Reactions: ssj
Each week we will get another track, we really shouldn't get mad if tracks are songs that have been leaked. As much as I love the fact we have them, leaks shouldn't happen. The leaked tracks deserve a proper release, plus there's the chance of audio quality being better than what we've heard.

what the mean of “Mike’s Mix (Demo)”?🤔

Last edited:
I am not that active on this forum as some others are, but it saddens me that the negativity is so overwhelming during every little step for the Thriller40 campaign. I cannot wait to hear the original take on Behind the Mask! If they release all the leaked demo's in their most complete take + one or two unheard songs, I'll be more than happy

So happy they've started with Behind The Mask, not only is it a great song but it's the only thing I truly wanted from Thriller 40.
So for me, everything now is a bonus

where is the official statement regarding Track 1?

where is the official statement regarding Track 1?
It is on the official Michael Jackson website, under their News Section.

"MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 40 - BEHIND THE MASK" is the title of that news announcement.

Having to wait a week and be told the next track is something we've had for years won't be great, but I will say I am excited for each week's news.

It's a good way imo to keep engaged until release.

It proved to be not a poor decision at all, at least from a commercial and chart aspect.

The 'Thriller 25' anniversary release served its purpose at that time because it sold a lot but also because Michael Jackson was again on the top of the charts while he reached the top ten in many national charts.

Especially, considering two important things: he just came from a turbulent period for him, and also that he had been inactive in the music industry for nearly five years.

Also, due to the inclusion of some contemporary and successful guest artists on that 'Thriller 25' anniversary release, many young listeners became aware of the original 'Thriller' album.

The strength of 'Smooth Criminal' comes down to its song-writing (melody, hook, etc) rather than to the way it was produced.

The 'Love Is The Drug' song (released in 1975, by English rock band Roxy Music) is just one of the many examples.
Thriller 25 project was nice the deluxe with dvd and the book vinyl

Yeah,and?
It's not like we started swearing at the Estate or something 0_0
I'm not a supporter of negativity myself but I understand the dissapointment of some fans.

Some people like to quote negative stuff people say and bitch about it rather than post some positive stuff themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back