Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys seen this:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_40

Disc 1: Thriller
No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
1."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"Michael Jackson6:02
2."Baby Be Mine"Rod TempertonJones4:20
3."The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
3:42
4."Thriller"TempertonJones5:57
5."Beat It"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:18
6."Billie Jean"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:54
7."Human Nature"Quincy Jones4:06
8."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"Jones3:59
9."The Lady in My Life"TempertonJones4:59
Disc 2: Bonus Material.
No.TitleLength
10."Hot Street"3:53
11."Got The Hots"4:28
12."Behind The Mask (Original Version)"4:58
13."Carousel"1:50
14."Starlight (Thriller Demo)"5:11
15."Can't Get Out of The Rain"4:06
16."Scared of The Moon"3:43
17."Sunset Driver (Demo)"4:04
18."Stand Tall"4:27
19."Spice of Life"3:41
Total length:40:21
Deluxe edition bonus tracks (Digital Only)
20."Billie Jean" (Home Demo from 1981)JacksonJackson2:20
21."Billie Jean (Long Version)"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
6:20
22."Billie Jean 2008" (Kanye West Mix)Jackson4:35
23."Beat It" (Demo)JacksonJackson2:03
24."Beat It 2008" (with Fergie)Jackson4:11
25."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Demo)JacksonJackson5:43
26."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Tommy D's Main Mix)Jackson7:40
27."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" (with Akon)
  • Jackson
  • Akon
  • Tuinfort
4:14
28."Human Nature" (7" Remix)Jones3:45
29."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (Demo Version)Jackson3:46
30."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • Phillinganes
  • Adams
  • Harris
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
4:21
31."The Girl Is Mine 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
3:10
32."Thriller" (7" Special Edit)TempertonJones4:37
33."Thriller" (Def Thriller Mix)Temperton7:22
34."Thriller Megamix"
  • Jackson
  • Temperton
  • Jones
  • Ingram
9:14
It's been removed due to lack of evidence, and I wish it's fake.

Have you guys seen this:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_40

Disc 1: Thriller
1."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"Michael Jackson6:02
2."Baby Be Mine"Rod TempertonJones4:20
3."The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
3:42
4."Thriller"TempertonJones5:57
5."Beat It"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:18
6."Billie Jean"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
4:54
7."Human Nature"Quincy Jones4:06
8."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"Jones3:59
9."The Lady in My Life"TempertonJones4:59
Disc 2: Bonus Material.
No.TitleLength
10."Hot Street"3:53
11."Got The Hots"4:28
12."Behind The Mask (Original Version)"4:58
13."Carousel"1:50
14."Starlight (Thriller Demo)"5:11
15."Can't Get Out of The Rain"4:06
16."Scared of The Moon"3:43
17."Sunset Driver (Demo)"4:04
18."Stand Tall"4:27
19."Spice of Life"3:41
Total length:40:21
Deluxe edition bonus tracks (Digital Only)
20."Billie Jean" (Home Demo from 1981)JacksonJackson2:20
21."Billie Jean (Long Version)"Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson[a]
6:20
22."Billie Jean 2008" (Kanye West Mix)Jackson4:35
23."Beat It" (Demo)JacksonJackson2:03
24."Beat It 2008" (with Fergie)Jackson4:11
25."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Demo)JacksonJackson5:43
26."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Tommy D's Main Mix)Jackson7:40
27."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" (with Akon)
  • Jackson
  • Akon
  • Tuinfort
4:14
28."Human Nature" (7" Remix)Jones3:45
29."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (Demo Version)Jackson3:46
30."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • Phillinganes
  • Adams
  • Harris
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
4:21
31."The Girl Is Mine 2008" (with will.i.am)
  • Jackson
  • will.i.am
3:10
32."Thriller" (7" Special Edit)TempertonJones4:37
33."Thriller" (Def Thriller Mix)Temperton7:22
34."Thriller Megamix"
  • Jackson
  • Temperton
  • Jones
  • Ingram
9:14
It's no point releasing the butchered version of Carousel again as if the near complete version hasn't already been released back in 2008. The absence of Nite Line, She's Trouble and The Lady In My Life (Uncut version) to be in favor of an Off The Wall era track and two The Ultimate Collection demos is absolutely nonsense to me.

Sunset Driver has no place on this record. It was for Off the Wall. Unless he went back to rework it, it should not be on here.

I don’t mind getting previously heard content, it’s inevitable, but at least have it be content from the actual session!

"2nd bonus disc includes demos and rarities"... I think I'm gonna throw up. Give us Victory Tour on Blu-Ray as a bonus CD!

Sunset Driver has no place on this record. It was for Off the Wall. Unless he went back to rework it, it should not be on here.

I don’t mind getting previously heard content, it’s inevitable, but at least have it be content from the actual session!
It was re-recorded and reworked in 1982. The version we hear on The Ultimate Collection is the reworked version. The original version was considered for Off The Wall (Special Edition), but was dropped after several test pressings (along with demo of Rock With You).

It was re-recorded and reworked in 1982. The version we hear on The Ultimate Collection is the reworked version. The original version was considered for Off The Wall (Special Edition), but was dropped after several test pressings (along with demo of Rock With You).
Either they re-release the Thriller version or they release the Off the Wall version on Thriller 40. Neither makes any sense. I hope Sunset Driver is not on Disc 2.

The biggest problem is not Sunset Driver, but Can't Get Outta The Rain, which is recorded and released during Off The Wall era under a different name. This song is actually the second part of the re-recorded You Can't Win for single releases (the original version exclusive to The Wiz soundtrack has totally different arrangement and vocals). Also, the bonus 7" on several Off The Wall original pressings is a replica of You Can't Win single with A side being Part 1 (the main song) and B side being Part 2 (last lyrics of the main song in different mix and the whole jam session). When they was choosing the B-side for The Girl Is Mine and Billie Jean, they simply removed the opening lyrics of You Can't Win Part 2 and renamed the rest as Can't Get Outta The Rain. The full re-recorded version of You Can't Win can be heard on The Ultimate Collection.

Either they re-release the Thriller version or they release the Off the Wall version on Thriller 40. Neither makes any sense. I hope Sunset Driver is not on Disc 2.
I hope so too. They should give the leaked stuff a proper release instead of dwelling on giving slots for songs that have already been available for a very long time.

Are you sure? Did Mike lay down new vocals in 82? I only ask because the version we have sounds like Off The Wall youthful Mike to me.

This is like finding out Scared Of The Moon and Come Together are both from 85 all over again 😅

Are you sure? Did Mike lay down new vocals in 82? I only ask because the version we have sounds like Off The Wall youthful Mike to me.

This is like finding out Scared Of The Moon and Come Together are both from 85 all over again 😅
Re-record don't necessarily mean new vocal tracks are recorded, and in this case, new instrumental are recorded for sure.
Scared Of The Moon is recorded in 1984, and Come Together is recorded through 1986 and 1987.

When they was choosing the B-side for The Girl Is Mine and Billie Jean, they simply removed the opening lyrics of You Can't Win Part 2 and renamed the rest as Can't Get Outta The Rain. The full re-recorded version of You Can't Win can be heard on The Ultimate Collection.
On CGOTR MJ sings "... outta the  rain" while on YCW-part2 it's "... outta the game".

On CGOTR MJ sings "... outta the  rain" while on YCW-part2 it's "... outta the game".
Yes, the rest is the same because there are multiple vocal takes for alteration. It's like some artists record clean takes of songs contain explicit lyrics to replace certain vocal lines when releasing in different formats.
It doesn't change the fact that the song is still an Off The Wall era track.

Last edited:
Re-record don't necessarily mean new vocal tracks are recorded, and in this case, new instrumental are recorded for sure.
Scared Of The Moon is recorded in 1984, and Come Together is recorded through 1986 and 1987.
Scared Of The Moon is definitely from 1985, according to co-writer Buz Kohan.

As for Come Together, I'm not sure it was recorded in 85 honestly, I just read someone on here recently saying it was recorded in 1985

Scared Of The Moon is definitely from 1985, according to co-writer Buz Kohan.

As for Come Together, I'm not sure it was recorded in 85 honestly, I just read someone on here recently saying it was recorded in 1985
The Ultimate Collection booklet, Wikipedia and All The Songs say it is recorded in 1984...
Still, memories can be f*cking everyone, the contributers included.
Hell, why don't we have a complete recording sessions book like the Beatles do!

Well, All The Songs book documented it as (said by Bill that) recorded in 1986~1987 though
All the Songs has a fair bit of false information, unfortunately. I own a copy, and there are many moments that sound as though they were just copied word for word from a fan forum.
The Ultimate Collection booklet, Wikipedia and All The Songs say it is recorded in 1984...
The Ultimate Collection booklet also says one of the Invincible tracks was recorded in 2002, and that “Scared of the Moon” came from some random book that doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t look at it as a credible source.

“Scared of the Moon” came from some random book that doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t look at it as a credible source.
So the booklet states that the lycris for ,,Scared of the Moon,, were stolen from a book?
Or I'm taking this the wrong way?

I would love a complete recording sessions book mate, it'd be fascinating if they could catalogue them all in one place

I would love a complete recording sessions book mate, it'd be fascinating if they could catalogue them all in one place
The things, Michael's career is longer than 30 years, the Beatles' is merely 7 years or so, and Michael had so many producers (while the Beatles have only George Martin) and other collaborators, it would be extremely difficult to track all down, especially the motown era. Also, we don't have music historians like Mark Lewisohn to listen to and investigate all Michael's tapes (and unfortunately he lost fairly amount of them to all kinds of person). Sad.

All the Songs has a fair bit of false information, unfortunately. I own a copy, and there are many moments that sound as though they were just copied word for word from a fan forum.

The Ultimate Collection booklet also says one of the Invincible tracks was recorded in 2002, and that “Scared of the Moon” came from some random book that doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t look at it as a credible source.
Yeah was gonna say TUC booklet is full of errors.

I think nobody has mentioned Buffalo Bill. 1983, so would be considered Thriller-era. Wishful thinking on my part though.

When is that song getting revelead already??It's tuesday and the 6th of September...

It doesn´t matter... Check the T25... For All Time was recorded during DANGEROUS era, and still it is included...

It doesn´t matter... Check the T25... For All Time was recorded during DANGEROUS era, and still it is included...
So? Doesn’t make it right, idk what they were doing including that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back