US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

Re: US Presidential Election

Well, I never could understand what peoples bed habits has to do with how they are doing their job. As long as they don`t do it in the office................-_-:lol:

eternity and mello, im just gonna sit back and enjoy you guys' informative conversation. It's very refreshing lol

Clinton 'misspoke' on Bosnia trip By ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer
20 minutes ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZqaUfNs8g

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said she "misspoke" last week when she said she had landed under sniper fire during a trip she took as first lady to Bosnia in March 1996. The Obama campaign suggested it was a deliberate exaggeration on Clinton's part.

Clinton often cites the goodwill trip she took with her daughter and several celebrities as a part of her foreign policy experience.

During a speech last Monday about Iraq, she said of the trip: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

According to an AP story at the time, Clinton was placed under no extraordinary risks on that trip. And one of her companions on it, comedian Sinbad, told The Washington Post he has no recollection either of the threat or reality of gunfire.

When asked Monday about the New York senator's recent remarks on the trip, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson pointed to Clinton's previous written account in her book, "Living History," in which she described a shortened welcoming ceremony at Tuzla Air Base, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Clinton wrote: "Due to reports of snipers in the hills around the airstrip, we were forced to cut short an event on the tarmac with local children, though we did have time to meet them and their teachers and to learn how hard they had worked during the war to continue classes in any safe spot they could find."

"That is what she wrote in her book," Wolfson said. "That is what she has said many, many times and on one occasion she misspoke."

The written account in Clinton's book contradicts the comments she made last Monday about the welcoming ceremony.

Just after her speech last Monday, she reaffirmed the account of running from the plane to the cars when she was asked about it by reporters at a news conference. She said was moved into the cockpit of the C-17 cargo plane as they were flying into Tuzla Air Base.

"Everyone else was told to sit on their bulletproof vests," Clinton told reporters. "And we came in, in an evasive maneuver. ... There was no greeting ceremony, and we basically were told to run to our cars. Now, that is what happened."

A spokesman for rival Barack Obama's campaign questioned whether Clinton misspoke, saying her comments came in what appeared to be prepared remarks for her speech on Iraq. The Obama campaign statement contained a link to a text of Clinton's speech that is still posted on her campaign Web site including the account of running to the cars.

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a written statement that Clinton's Bosnia story "joins a growing list of instances in which Senator Clinton has exaggerated her role in foreign and domestic policymaking."

The Obama campaign statement also links to a CBS news video taken from her Bosnia trip and posted on YouTube, which shows Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, walking across the tarmac from a large cargo plane, smiling and waving, and stopping to shake hands with Bosnia's acting president and greet an 8-year-old girl.

"This is something that the Obama campaign wants to push cause they have nothing positive to say about their candidate," Wolfson said Monday in the conference call.

Wow. The Clinton campaign is really desperate for funding. I've received like a dozen emails in the last week asking for donations from Hillary and people in her campaign. I'll be surprised if she can win Pennsylvania based on her lack of funding (which results in lack of TV ads and stuff) and also Obama's "down with whitey" speech. Everything seems to be going so well for Obama now that he turned the black-supremacist church thing around into a positive thing. While everything seems to be going not so well for Hillary. So if she wins Pennsylvania it'll be a true testament to her popularity and support. Because to win with poor funding and not long after Obama's well-received speech, will be remarkable.

"down with whitey" speech? wooooooow, what speech were YOU listening to?

So if she wins Pennsylvania it'll be a true testament to her popularity and support. Because to win with poor funding and not long after Obama's well-received speech, will be remarkable.
not really since the state was always in her favour. i predict a win for her by a narrow margin and no doubt she'll stay in the race after that...

I was wondering what you all thought of Chelsea's response to someone asking her if she thought the Lewinski scandal damaged her mother's credibility. She said something along the lines of "none of your business."

i was going to post that video but couldn't find a YouTube link last night - great response.

OBAMA on The View

[youtube]yg4Wqkl60lE[/youtube]

[youtube]pv-WYqYVaX8[/youtube]

[youtube]OCUVbG2tV2I[/youtube]

[youtube]HcmQtkr8hsE[/youtube]

Last edited:

As someone from the outside looking in, the US presidential election is very interesting. The first thing that struck me is how long the election process is. Another thing that I find very different is the primaries that are going on now. You easily forget Obama and Clinton are in the same party. You'd think they were competing in opposing parties for office. It's also interesting how the media makes them into celebrities more so than politicians. I think no matter who gets the democratic nomination out of Obama and Clinton, they will win. Simply because all we've heard about (atleast from a overseas perspective) is Obama and Clinton and McCain seems to have been forgotten. So by the time the general election comes out it'll be like "who?" McCain doesn't have the celebrity status of Obama or Clinton and I think that's why he'll lose and either Obama or Clinton will win. Just my take on things.

I really wish thats how things are Aussie...lol But there really is more than just the democratic party...and when general election comes around, the republicans are gonna be fighting full force.

How the hell can she balance the National Budget?!?!??!?!?!

-------------------------------
Cash-strapped Clinton fails to pay bills

By KENNETH P. VOGEL | 3/30/08 7:00 AM EST

Clinton’s camp has put off paying bills for months earning campaign a reputation as something of a deadbeat in some small business circles.

Hillary Rodham Clinton’s cash-strapped presidential campaign has been putting off paying hundreds of bills for months — freeing up cash for critical media buys, but also earning the campaign a reputation as something of a deadbeat in some small business circles.

A pair of Ohio companies owed more than $25,000 by Clinton for staging events for her campaign are warning others in the tight-knit event production community and anyone else who will listen to get their cash upfront when doing business with her. Her campaign, say representatives of the two companies, has stopped returning phone calls and e-mails seeking payment of outstanding invoices. One even got no response from a certified letter.

Their cautionary tales, combined with published reports about similar difficulties faced by a New Hampshire landlord, an Iowa office cleaner and a New York caterer highlight a less-obvious impact of Clinton's inability to keep up with the staggering fundraising pace set by her opponent for the Democratic presidential nomination, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

Clinton's campaign did not respond to recent, specific questions about its transactions with vendors. But Clinton spokesman Jay Carson pointed on Saturday to an earlier statement the campaign issued to Politico, asserting: "The campaign pays its bills regularly and in the normal course of business, and pays all of its bills."

Just like with other businesses, it's common for campaigns to carry unpaid bills from month-to-month, but in Clinton's case it also could serve a strategic purpose.

The New York senator's presidential campaign ended February with $38 million in the bank, according to a report filed last week with the Federal Election Commission, but only $16 million of that can be spent on her battle with Obama.

The rest can only be spent in the general election, if she makes it that far, and must be returned if she doesn't. If she had paid off the $8.7 million in unpaid bills she reported as debt and had not loaned her campaign $5 million, the cash she would have had available at the end of last month to spend on television ads and other up-front expenses would have been less than $2 million.

The presidential campaign of presumptive Republican nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain, reported $4.3 million in debt at the end of February, but only $1.3 million of that was in the form of unpaid bills to a dozen vendors. The rest was a bank loan, which the campaign says it paid off last week.

Its not just the size of Clintons debts that's noteworthy. It's also that her unpaid bills extend beyond the realm of high-priced consultants who typically let bills slide as part of the cost of doing business with powerful clientele whose success is linked to their own.

Some of Clinton's biggest debts are to pollster and chief strategist Mark Penn, who's owed $2.5 million; direct mail company MSHC Partners, which is owed $807,000; phone-banking firm Spoken Hub, which is waiting for $771,000; and ad maker Mandy Grunwald, who’s owed $467,000.

Clinton also reported debts more than one month old to a slew of apolitical businesses and organizations, large and small, in the states through which this historically expensive Democratic primary campaign has raged.

She owed Iowa's Sioux City Art Center Board of Trustees $3,500 for catering and venue costs, New Hampshire's Winnacunnet Cooperative School District $4,400 in event costs, Qwest $24,000 for phone service, various branches of the Iowa-based supermarket chain Hy-Vee $15,000 for food, beverages and catering and $7,700 to Ohio and Massachusetts branches of the theatrical stage employees union for equipment costs.

In fact, about a third of the nearly 700 individual debts Clinton reported at the end of February were for various types of event expenses, including $319,000 for catering and venue costs, $420,000 for equipment, $11,000 for photography and $9,000 for security.

Event production is important to big-time presidential campaigns. It shapes how candidates look and sound, not just to the thousands of people who turn out to campaign speeches and rallies, but also to the millions who catch snippets of them on television.

And word is getting around that Clinton's campaign does not promptly pay those who labor to make her events look good, said an employee of the event production company Forty Two of Youngstown, Ohio.

I feel insulted by the way that the campaign treated this company and treated us personally, said the employee, who did not want to be named talking about a client.

The Clinton campaign paid the company $16,500 to set up a stage, press riser, sound system and backdrops at a Youngstown high school last month for a raucous union rally, where an aggressive Clinton stump speech drew thunderous applause. But the Clinton campaign has yet to pay Forty Two for two other February events and the employee said the campaign has stopped returning phone calls, e-mails and didn't respond to a certified letter.

We worked very hard to put together these events on a moments notice and do absolutely everything to a 't' to make it look perfect on television for her and for her campaign, said the employee. Sen. Clinton talks about helping working families, people in unions and small businesses. But when it comes down to actually doing something that shows that she can back up her words with action, she fails.

Forty Two also has done events for Obama's campaign, which has paid its bills promptly, according to the employee. FEC records show Obama's campaign paid the company $18,500.

Show Tyme Exhibits, another Youngstown event production company, has produced political events for years and had never had problems getting paid before Clinton, according to owner Jim Phillips.

He said he's still waiting for a payment for setting up the sound system and stage for Clinton's February tour of a General Motors plant in Lordstown, Ohio.

It was only $607, but I'm a small guy; I could use that, said Phillips, adding, Everyone I can tell, I do tell about it. You tell somebody something bad about somebody, they tell ten other people.

Both Phillips and the Forty Two employee said they voted for Clinton in Ohio's March 4 primary, which she won handily, but regret their votes and are reluctant to work for her campaign again.

Their sentiments aren't universal in the event production world, though.

At the end of January, Clinton owed $38,000 to ACS Sound and Lighting of Columbia, S.C. But the company was paid in full last month and is planning to do events for Clinton in other states, according to manager Troy Gwin.

We don't have any problem with them, he said. I'd continue to do business after the primaries if she is the nominee. I would love to.

And Tony Galarza, director of the Missoula, Mont. branch of a national event production company, remained committed to staging an April 6 Clinton fundraising brunch at a local hotel even after a colleague in his company e-mailed a list of Clinton's campaign debts.

Galarza said he's confident Clinton will pay his company, but admitted he was surprised to see so many event production companies among the campaign's creditors.

Once I looked at those numbers, I realized how important to our economy nationally these elections are, he said. Just the sheer numbers listed there were immense.

Last edited:

Why?:huh:Sorry, but as far as I know there are always a very good reason to ask why a story like this is printed? Who gains by it? And has there not been enough examples of stories about other people that may not be exactly as they are told in the press?

Barack Obama wins big in Texas; Clinton will be the clear loser in the Lone Star State

Barrack Obama appeared to have scored a clear victory over Hillary Clinton on Saturday in the second step of Texas' multi-tiered process for selecting its delegates to the Democratic National Convention. With results available from about half of the district conventions held statewide, the Associated Press reported that Obama had won 59 percent of the delegates headed to the state party's June convention to Clinton's 41 percent. That translates into 1,858 delegates for Obama and 1,270 for Clinton.

That result made it likely that when the delegate selection process is finally completed, Obama will have more Texas delegates to the national convention than Clinton, despite Clinton's having won the March 4 primary vote 51 to 47 percent. Under Texas' delegate selection process, 67 of its 206 delegates are selected by the June state party convention.

Tens of thousands of Texas Democrats turned out for Saturday's district conventions in a chaotic day in which many of the meetings in Texas' large cities lasted late into the night. Some delegates -- confused and frustrated by hours-long delays, disorder and disorganization -- gave up on the process and left, still not sure if their vote counted. "Please move a bit faster," urged delegate Whitney Larkins, who attended the largest senatorial district in Fort Worth gathered at the Will Rogers Coliseum. "Have some consideration. Think about those of us who took time out of our lives to participate in this."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/30/obama-win-appears-big-in-_n_94139.html

Last edited:

Vote for ME as president.. I will put tax payers money into buying Michael Jackson albums and sending them out to everyone.. His new album will become the largest selling alum in history.. Beating THRILLER.. Because of US. Me with all your help, we can make this happen...

YES WE CAN!!

YES WE WILL!!

VOTE FOR ME..

Just write my name at the bottom of your ballet this year..

thank you ;)

Last edited:

haaaaaa ha hahaha!

I see another goofy thread brewing in MJ GD! Thanks KOPV! :lol:

Hillary Clinton Fails to Pay Staff's Health Care Premiums

Among the debts reported this month by Hillary Rodham Clinton’s struggling presidential campaign, the $292,000 in unpaid health insurance premiums for her campaign staff stands out.

Clinton, who is being pressured to end her campaign against Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination, has made her plan for universal health care a centerpiece of her agenda.

The campaign provides health insurance to all its employees, their spouses, partners and children — and that wasn’t interrupted by any lag in payments to insurance providers, said Jay Carson, a Clinton campaign spokesman.

He said the campaign this month paid off all outstanding bills to Aetna Healthcare and CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield. Those payments will be reflected on a report the campaign will file this month with the Federal Election Commission, which Carson said will show “zero debt owed to both vendors.”

“Sometimes invoices are not paid immediately because we need additional information for our records, or to verify expenses,” Carson said in a statement e-mailed to Politico. “Sometimes invoices arrive at the very end of the month at the cutoff of the reporting period, which means that we are required to report them as a debt on the current FEC report, even where they are paid in regular course during the next month.”

But the unpaid bills to Aetna were at least two months old, according to FEC filings.

They show the campaign ended last year owing Aetna more than $213,000 for “employee benefits.”

During the first two months of the year, the campaign did not pay down any of that debt. In fact, it accrued another $16,000 in unpaid bills last month, and it finished the month owing Aetna $229,000.

Though the campaign reported owing $63,000 to Carefirst at the end of February for employee benefits, it appears Clinton paid that company on a more frequent basis. The New York senator’s presidential campaign began the month owing $299,000 to Carefirst, but paid that amount in its entirety, and the $63,000 it owed at the end of the month appears to be from services rendered last month.

Campaigns resemble businesses in many ways. Like businesses, one of their biggest costs is salaries, payroll taxes and the benefits of their employees. Also like businesses, they tend to carry unpaid bills as debt from week-to-week or even month-to-month.

But Arizona Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, did not report any unpaid bills to insurance providers at the end of February. And the only insurance-related debt reported by Obama, an Illinois senator, was $908 to AIG American International Group for “insurance.”

Their campaigns also reported substantially less debt overall than Clinton’s, which owed $8.7 million at the end of February. Obama owed $625,000 and McCain $4.3 million, though most of his debt was from a bank loan, and only $1.3 million was in the form of unpaid bills to a dozen vendors.

Carson stressed that Clinton’s campaign pays all its bills “regularly and in the normal course of business.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9274.html

11bkx92.jpg

I couldn`t resist to copy this blog here, as it seems that it might be time for some balance?

:she_devil::shifty:
hillaryondrudge.png

Now, first of all, I want to make it clear that it doesn't matter a whit to me—and shouldn't matter to anyone—what Hillary looks like. If she had one eyeball hanging out of its socket and a third leg growing out of her back, I wouldn't give a flying fart. I'd still agree with her on some **** and disagree with her on other ****, and I'd still vociferously defend her right to not be judged on her appearance.

That said, this is also just another piece of dogshit journamalism typical of Drudge, because the picture isn't even particularly representative of what Hillary looks like.

Here are other pictures taken the same afternoon (Saturday) while Hillary was doing door-to-door campaigning:

hils.png

And here's a picture of her being introduced at a town hall meeting in Iowa earlier today:

hils2.png

Yeah, she looks like she might keel over from exhaustion at any moment. Meanwhile, if she were a dude five years older who looked like this:

freddie.png

…manly men like Drudge and Chris Matthews would be falling all over themselves to gush about how handsome he is and wax inquisitive about how he smells.

Maybe, just maybe, the media could give Hillary a fucking break and allow her, as a 60-year-old woman, to look like a 60-year-old woman, for which other 60+-year-old women, and those of us who will one day be 60-year-old women, would be extremely goddamned appreciative.

But something tells me that ain't gonna happen.

Hillary Clinton owed her own High School money - until this story was published

Clinton owes her own high school money

Hillary Clinton's friends and schoolmates Betsy Ebeling, left, Ernest Ricketts of Oak Brook, right, and Hardye Moel, foreground, of Chicago, at a town hall meeting via satellite with Clinton at Clinton's alma mater, Maine South High School, on Feb. 4. Chicago Tribune Photo by Candice C. Cusic.

by Rick Pearson and updated with a campaign check.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign has made little secret that it has been routinely outspent by rival Barack Obama in the extended race for the Democratic presidential nomination and has been forced to curtail checks for some of its vendors and staff.

But stiffing your high school alma mater?

That’s apparently the case, according to federal campaign disclosure reports that show that among more than $8.7 million listed as debts, the Clinton campaign owed $3,161 to Maine South High School in Park Ridge for renting the school for an event, as well as for catering.

Clinton, then Hillary Rodham, was a 1965 Maine South graduate.

The Clinton campaign used the school’s Watson Auditorium for an election eve event prior to the Feb. 5 “Super Tuesday” balloting in Illinois and more than 20 other states. The event was a “town hall meeting,” broadcast on the Hallmark Channel, which allowed supporters across the country to question the candidate.

The FEC form listed only a “Dr. Rose” as a contact at the school. A switchboard operator at Maine South said no one was available to discuss the debt and that the only “Dr. Rose” at the school was Dr. Rose Garlasco, the assistant principal of students, who was unavailable.

Jay Carson, a spokesman for Clinton's campaign, said the invoice from Maine South High School was paid today.

Last edited:

Rudd wins praise from Clinton, Obama
April 1, 2008 - 2:24PM

Kevin Rudd has won praise from US Democrat presidential rivals Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama as a leader who will promote the Australia-United States alliance and be a force for good in the Asian region.

Senator Obama, frontrunner in the nomination race, complimented Mr Rudd following a 25 minute telephone conversation between the two men.

He suggested Mr Rudd brought "special skills and experience" to relations between the two countries.

"His progressive domestic policy agenda, innovative and realistic diplomacy, and optimistic vision enrich the already solid base of our bilateral dialogue," Senator Obama said in a statement.

"In Asia, the quality of our alliance and the scope of our diplomatic partnership shine brightly."

During their phone call, the pair spoke about the potential for Australia and the US to be partners on issues such as climate change and China.

But Senator Obama's generous assessment of the new Australian prime minister was slightly tainted by a mistake in his press release, in which Labor's iconic wartime leader John Curtin was referred to as "John Curtain".

It's not clear whether Senator Obama harboured any grudges against Mr Rudd for backing Senator Clinton during the Australian election campaign last year but it appears he does remember a slur by former prime minister John Howard.

He jokingly raised with Mr Rudd claims by Mr Howard that al-Qaeda would be praying for an Obama win because it would help militants claim victory in Iraq.

Senator Obama called Mr Rudd from Pennsylvania, where he is campaigning ahead of the next state primary contest on April 22.

Senator Clinton, who is fighting for her political life against her Democratic rival, took time out of a packed schedule for a 40-minute meeting with Mr Rudd before hitting the hustings in Pennsylvania.

Mr Rudd will meet the presumptive Republican nominee John McCain on Tuesday.

He has pledged to work closely with whoever - Democrat or Republican - wins the November presidential race.

Mr Rudd and Senator Clinton talked about health care, China and the Asia Pacific more generally.

"Australia is a valued friend to the United States and we have enjoyed a long history of working together to address issues that affect both our nations," Senator Clinton later said in a statement.

"I believe Prime Minister Rudd is a leader who will continue to work with the United States to foster the kind of international cooperation we need to tackle the important challenges facing Asia and the world."

While they posed for the cameras, the pair chatted about the rigours of campaigning, especially in a big country like America.

"As one candidate myself who knows what it's like on the campaign trail, I have every, every sympathy for Hillary," Mr Rudd said.

At one stage Mr Rudd appeared to offer Senator Clinton help with her campaign but it emerged he was offering assistance with a climate change event being organised by her husband, former president Bill Clinton.

The meeting, their first since Tel Aviv in 2005, was at The Brookings Institution, where Mr Rudd gave a foreign policy speech on the alliance, as well as on the relationship between China and America.

He threw his support behind a US push for a new regional forum to deal with security in the Asia-Pacific region.

The US has signalled that six-party talks, involving the US, China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea and Russia, and designed to ease nuclear tensions on the Korean peninsula, could form the basis of a permanent peace and security mechanism in the region.

Mr Rudd finishes up his trip to the US with another full day, including meetings with US Trade Representative Susan Schwab and Democrat House leader Nancy Pelosi.

© 2008 AAP

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :lol: *favorites*

Last edited:
Back