US Presidential Election ... [All recent threads merged here]

Re: US Presidential Election

whenever Obama gets real, Clinton does everything to rip it to shreds she can eat.

Clinton Portrays Herself as a Pro-Gun Churchgoer

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/clinton-portrays-herself-as-a-pro-gun-churchgoer/

VALPARAISO, Ind. - Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton managed to co-opt Mr. Obama’s message of hope and optimism, beginning a speech in Valparaiso, Ind., by talking about how positive and “fundamentally optimistic” Americans are.

“We don’t get bogged down and looking back – we’re always looking forward,” she said, as heavy applause nearly drowned out her words. “Whatever obstacle we see, we get over it. Whatever challenge we have, we meet it. We’re the problem-solvers, we’re the innovators, we’re the people who make the better future.”

For the third time since Mr. Obama’s remarks were made public Friday night, Mrs. Clinton criticized him at length, saying his comments seemed “kind of elitist and out of touch.”

“I disagree with Senator Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about immigration or trade simply out of frustration,” she said.

She described herself as a pro-gun churchgoer, recalling that her father taught her how to shoot a gun when she was a young girl and said that her faith “is the faith of my parents and my grandparents.”

I'm just so sick of Hillary to be honest..

She's a fake to me.. EVERYTIME she talks she just blabs on about what SHE HAS DONE.. She sits there and praises herself without just saying "LOOK WHAT I'VE DONE"..

She says things like..

"I'm so happy to take part in this orginization, one that helps people as I did for the past 20 years through........................."

SICK OF THAT TALK..

She ALWAYS just talks about what she DID and praises herself, THINKING telling people what you've done will win them over.. NO!! People just want a person that will stand up and do the damn job..

SELL YOURSELF to the people.. NOT WHAT YOU'VE DONE..

Whats up with the discussion about "elite"?:huh:

You have had Bush, that wasn`t actually a great thing..........someone with a brain ( elite as in well educated, smart, skillful, etc......) would be anice change.........-_-

Whats kind of confusing me is that while everyone is targeting Hillary/ Obama ( to a lesser degree), McCain seems to be off the radar. So in fact, all the "dirt" will tag along with the dem. candidates in the final election- while McCain just walks around in the shaddow, unharmed.
I may be wrong, but I think the fight between the candidates in the democratic party should be regarded as essentially two very good candidates, with rather small differences when it comes to politics ( unless someone can point out the major political- not personal- differences are).
As a person outside of the Us, I worry the democratic party will fail- not weather its going to be Hillary or Obama.
Any of them will not be able to turn back everything thats been done in their time as president. They will start the work, but they will have too mutch to make right to have enough time- and as well, there are forces withing the political and economical system that has power to halt / stop the process.

I read that Bush has acknowledged the use of torture.
That speaks volumes for how far things has gone. Its a huge mess.
Weather Hillary comes off as phony, or Obama as an elitist- I dont give a flying fart.............Just "make that change".
Please?:mello:

No I worry they will fail too. But i think thats due to ONE particular candidate's tactics lol. I hope that things turn out ok, but the party is weakening in strength if this keeps up.

SPRINGSTEEN ENDORSES OBAMA

By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Rock star Bruce Springsteen endorsed Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for president Wednesday, saying "he speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years."
b

In a letter addressed to friends and fans posted his Web site, Springsteen said he believes Obama is the best candidate to undo "the terrible damage done over the past eight years."

"He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next president," the letter said. "He speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that's interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where '...nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone.' "

The bard of New Jersey is known for his lyrics about the struggles of working-class Americans, particularly in the economically ravaged factory towns of the Northeast.
Springsteen and his E Street band were part of the Vote or Change tour, a coalition of musicians opposed to the re-election of President Bush in 2004. He wrote the anti-war ballad "Devils and Dust" about Iraq.

Springsteen did not directly mention Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination, in his letter, but appeared to take issue with her recent criticisms of comments made by Obama about working-class voters in small towns in Pennsylvania and controversial statements by his pastor.

"Critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships," Springsteen wrote. "While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision ... often in order to distract us from discussing the real issues: war and peace, the fight for economic and racial justice, reaffirming our Constitution, and the protection and enhancement of our environment."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080416/ap_on_el_pr/obama_springsteen

___

I'm just so sick of Hillary to be honest..

She's a fake to me..
i find her to be pretty fake aswell. her whole personality when she speaks makes her appear like a typical politican. and i guess the lack of respect some may feel she has for herself by staying with bill just to help her career hardly helps her

and why do celebs have to come out and endorse ppl. they must think pretty highly of themselves if they think that everyone else should know who they are supporting and ppl will now vote for x over y because a certain celeb supports them. its tacky

Last edited:

^ I agree on the tackyness of celebrities :lol:

You have folks like Oprah who say that everyone should go ahead and get involved in the voting system and have a say in who you want to see lead the nation etc etc... and then they go "Oh by the way I'm voting for so and so" It's almost like, "go do this, by the way I'm, doing this..."

The sad thing is, a lot of people will vote for who their favourite celeb says they're gonna vote for. It's either laziness, "I wont research the candidates but if the BOSS is voting for Obama then he must be alright so I'll vote for him too." Or they honestly blindly follow their fav celeb. "Oh he/she is never wrong so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me."

The good thing is though, that they do raise awareness of the importance of voting and making sure your own voice is heard. Especially in a country where voting isn't compulsory. Women and black folks have fought so hard for the right to vote, but sadly in this day and age, political parties are buying their votes from the minority (big businesses) instead of earning their votes from the majority (the general public).

No one is perfect...and just like all the canidates I don't agree with everything, however, she is about working together and rebuilding that strong foundation that we so deperately need.

With no disrespect intended to anyone...Hilary Clinton Rocks..!

Education is the Key~~~

Last edited:

Did anyone happen to catch the debate last night? I swear that sometimes the media and the voters are tuning into something different. When I went to bed last night I really believe the debate was an obvious win for Obama. When I turned on crappy cable news this morning, it seems like the media (including the NY Times) are on the idea that Obama completely lost the debate.

I mean yes I was disappointed in the moderators for letting this so called debate turn into a three on one attack. However, Obama made it completely obvious they were shooting blanks at him all night and Hilliary's answers on foriegn policy were irresponsible and her answer on securing social security was extremely faulty with her saying that we can't do it Obama's way but we will work it out some how. Maybe I'm truly biased because I decided about a month ago to be for Obama.:unsure:

But what do you guys think about who won the debate and why?

^ yeah i saw it and the questions for both candidates were complete rubbish. i didn't know ABC anchors sucked so much.. even Obama pointed out that they're asking the wrong, trivial questions.

Worst. Debate. Ever.

Jason Linkins
The Huffington Post

Going into tonight's debate in Philadelphia, the two millionth one we've had so far this primary season, I had one significant worry: that the bulk of the time would be taken up with process questions and media obsessions, and that issues of import would end up getting sidelined. As it turns out, I was depressingly, distressingly correct. In fact, there were times when tonight's debate ventured into territory so utterly asinine that I could scarcely believe what I was witnessing.

Twas not until the nine-o'clock hour drew nigh that a single issue-oriented question was asked. The entire first hour was dedicated to silly campaign queries and scandals both du jour and d'antan. Before a single question was posed about the War in Iraq or the economy was asked, the viewing audience had to wade through the following:
Any chance at a "Dream Ticket?"
"Bitter, much?"

"Do you think your opponent stands a chance against McCain?"
"What about Reverend Wright?"
"Wait. I have an even stupider question about Reverend Wright."
"Seriously. Who were you fooling with that Bosnia shizz?"
"Hey, Hussein! Why no American flag lapel pin?"
"Hey, Sean Hannity wanted me to ask you something, Barack! I got a question on the Weather Underground! Maybe later we'll talk about the Symbionese Liberation Army!"
All of these questions have been beaten to a pulp, grim death. And neither candidate really had anything new to add to the responses they've already offered time and time again. It was as if ABC News, left out of the twenty-four hour news cycle that spawned these zombo-droid queries, needed to get in their licks on the same matters, too, just so they could feel like they'd played a part in every last one of the primary season's glittering inanities.

Why in the world George Stephanopoulos felt compelled to ask Barack Obama if Reverend Wright "loved America" after he had already been made to give another recitation of his repudiation of Wright's remarks is a question that simply defies the imagination. What sort of sensible answer can be given to that question? It would require astral projection to properly gauge another man's emotional state. And if you want to ask Hillary Clinton to account for the odd contortions she advanced on the matter of her Bosnia recollections, just sack up and ask. Don't hide behind the additional, pointless cruelty of a random voter's scoldings that Clinton lost their vote. What a wholly superfluous pile on!

And the flag lapel pin question came with this admonishment from Charles Gibson: "It keeps coming up, again and again." Well, no ****, Charlie! It keeps "coming up, again and again" because the media resolutely refuses to obtain the necessary courage to stop doing so.

Clinton, Obama trade snipes

BARACK Obama and Hillary Clinton have accused each other of waging negative campaigns as they sped across Pennsylvania before this week's potentially make-or-break primary election.

Senator Obama, who is the party's national front-runner but trails in Pennsylvania, hopes an upset this week (Wednesday AEST) will hand him the Democratic nomination and knock Senator Clinton out of the race for the right to face Republican John McCain in the November election.
After a week that included a contentious television debate that focused on issues such as his controversial former pastor and recent relationship with a 1960s radical, Senator Obama pounded on the New York senator at various stops throughout the day for using negative tactics and changing positions on key issues.
"What's happened is that Senator Clinton has internalised a lot of the strategies, the tactics that have made Washington such a miserable place where all we do is bicker and all we do is fight," he told a rally in Paoli, Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia.
He described the former first lady's tactics as: "We're going to throw whatever we want at Barack, whether it's true, whether it's false, whether it's exaggerated, whether it's relevant, because that's, according to Senator Clinton, what the Republicans will do."
The Clinton campaign returned fire, saying an Obama ad deliberately misrepresented her health care policy and taking umbrage at comments by a US general and Obama supporter who said Senator Clinton lacked the "moral authority" to lay a wreath on a soldier's grave.
"He always says in his speeches that he's running a positive campaign, but then his campaign does the opposite," Senator Clinton told a rally in the town of California in southwestern Pennsylvania, referring to Senator Obama.
Senator Clinton has seen her sizable advantage over the Illinois senator in Pennsylvania dwindle to a single-digit lead, but a Gallup daily tracking poll released today gave her a slight edge among Democrats nationwide - putting her ahead of her rival in that ranking for the first time since mid-March.
Both candidates crisscrossed the state ahead of this week's primary, the first nominating contest in several weeks. In a suburb of Philadelphia Senator Obama sharpened his tone against Senator Clinton, accusing her of changing positions on major issues, including the war in Iraq.
"She's taken different positions on different issues as fundamental as trade, even the war, to suit the politics of the moment, and when she gets caught at it, the notion is, 'Well you know what, that's just politics'," he said.
Later in Paoli he said: "She also believes that the nature of politics is, you say what the people want to hear. Maybe you say one thing about the war when it looks like the war is popular. Maybe you say something different when the war gets to be unpopular."
Clinton advisers said Senator Obama was using negative tactics himself. Seeking to play down expectations of a big Clinton victory, advisers said they expected a narrow win and said if Senator Obama loses, it would not bode well for a general election if he were the nominee.
"If Senator Obama is unable to win here with his enormous spending advantage ... it will again demonstrate that he has a big problem winning in the large swing states that a Democrat needs to win in order to become president," communications director Howard Wolfson said.

Link

Looks like the kids are still having fun....

the two candidates barely differ on their issues ... one is white and female, the other is male and brown.

this year we will see the first woman president elected or the first african american president. like it or not, that is what the vote will come down to. McCain ... i cannot see winning.

It is also possible we will see the first african american pres and the first female Vicepres. or female pres, african american vicepres

why does neither one of these scenerios make me particularly happy ?? For some reason, I am not comfortable with either candidate winning or being in office in any capacity. The both of them give me an uneasy feeling.

I've been starting to feel like that the more and more I watch the process...

it makes me wonder, is it because as the more we watch these people the more they appear like political snakes? or is it because they are snakes? or is it just too long tired a process?

To me, Oboma comes across as an arrogant, pompus ass while Clinton comes across as a power bit*h. Either way, one must remember that they are politicians and in the end they're both as full of sh*t as a person can be. I don't really care which one gets in at this point, but there's something about Obama that makes me just really dislike him. He seems so full of himself as though he has a sense of self-entitlement, more so then Clinton even. That's just me though and is just personal feeling, it has nothing to do with the issues.

Last edited:

see now, I didn't want to say it that way but since you have... I concur.

I want to like Obama ... I have tried to ignore my distaste for him and look at the bigger picture, it keeps coming back to an inner uneasy feeling. Then I go and attempt to embrace Clinton, only to get the same uneasy feeling.

It would mean a great deal for my children and their generation, to see the first african american president be elected. In the same sense, I would love for my daughter to see the first woman pres. elected ...

However, neither of these historic moments will mean a damn thing if the candidate is nothing more than a typical politician. If the next president is going to continue to F!%K up the country, I would just as soon see an old wrinkly azz white man do it & continue to blame the messed up results on him :chichi:

Last edited:

Wow. I have been away from this thread for a while because I figured I could too easily get sucked into a major discussion I didn't have time for. I said early on that we had to be careful we didn't just get caught up in Obama's charm factor (and I had to catch myself on that as well). Until the last debate I think the media had been soft on Obama and now they still are in that they are outraged at the questions asked Obama in the debate but were not outraged when Hillary was treated similarly in the past. I just think we need some balance and to make sure we keep our heads about us.

That being said, as I came back to this thread and read the last page I am sad to see the disallusionment go so far. I keep reading in the news reports that Hillary and Obama have damaged each other to the point that they have given the republicans a leg up and could even lose the election. I didn't take it that seriously. I understood all along the degree to which ALL candidates use careful choice of words to taylor their image, so things being brought out recently just haven't changed my opinion that much. I still believe that either Obama or Hillary would be good for our country. I still believe that they wish to do good. So what if they are ambitious (and that is not necessarily the same as power hungry)? Look what happened when we got a lazy candidate elected. The question is, can they keep their integrity after they get power? I prefer to hope and believe they can. I think of Gore not being able to come out and push the environmental issues because at the time it was not a popular issue: You could look at his past and know he would once in office and yet environmentalist activists trashed him because they said he was not standing up for their cause. The way newspapers report, can you blame candidates for speaking cautiously? They know that any minor looseness in phrasing on their part can be turned into a major issue by the media. We have a public that refuses to accept a candidate that disagrees with them on any issue. Once a candidate is running they have the responsibility of representing their party, not just themselves as they may have in the past and that tends to make them look insincere. I think that we have to keep our eyes (and minds) open but to make sure we see the good as well.

With as many speeches, etc that they give and as many people as they have giving them information an error in something they say does not have to be an intentional lie. An association with someone who sometime in their life did something unwise does not make the candidate someone we should despise. There is a saying that if you have never made a mistake you are not working up to your potential. (Sometimes it is alternately phrased that if you have never made a mistake you haven't been doing anything.) Candidates are not gods but they are not all devils either.

Did anyone happen to catch the debate last night? I swear that sometimes the media and the voters are tuning into something different. When I went to bed last night I really believe the debate was an obvious win for Obama. When I turned on crappy cable news this morning, it seems like the media (including the NY Times) are on the idea that Obama completely lost the debate.

I mean yes I was disappointed in the moderators for letting this so called debate turn into a three on one attack. However, Obama made it completely obvious they were shooting blanks at him all night and Hilliary's answers on foriegn policy were irresponsible and her answer on securing social security was extremely faulty with her saying that we can't do it Obama's way but we will work it out some how. Maybe I'm truly biased because I decided about a month ago to be for Obama.:unsure:

But what do you guys think about who won the debate and why?

I have to agree this time with the News...Hilary rocked the house..!

I want to like Obama ... I have tried to ignore my distaste for him and look at the bigger picture, it keeps coming back to an inner uneasy feeling. Then I go and attempt to embrace Clinton, only to get the same uneasy feeling.

It would mean a great deal for my children and their generation, to see the first african american president be elected. In the same sense, I would love for my daughter to see the first woman pres. elected ...

However, neither of these historic moments will mean a damn thing if the candidate is nothing more than a typical politician. If the next president is going to continue to F!%K up the country, I would just as soon see an old wrinkly azz white man do it & continue to blame the messed up results on him :chichi:

lol, exactly. I mean, I would love to see either historic milestone reached in my lifetime, and obviously I think it's going to happen. But as you said, if either of them are typical, which I think they are, then what difference does it really make?

Politicians say what they know people want to hear so that they can get elected. I don't see any difference between these two and any other policitian. But then again, that's why I don't usually take an interest in politics.

Last edited:

You know I honestly think that if the US had a compulsory voting system like we do in Australia it might solve a lot of the US's problems. But I am biased towards my own system.

However, if big corporations didn't have to try and buy votes they wouldn't have as big an influence over political parties and all those campaign fund raising etc.

Oh, you're right. The United States' voting system is jacked up. The electorol college and all that stuff.

Well, look at it this way; It can`t really get any worse then the current situation................( can it?:unsure:).

I actually like Hillary. Call me naive, but I do think that she wants to do what she can do, given the sircumstances. And i think that one of her major goals is in establishing a better and more fair health care system. If she managed to do that during her time in office, it would propably be somewhat of a revolution. And sometimes, a bit...chy woman is the only one who is stubborn enough to get the job done. She wont be popular anyway with a lot of people, so she has less to loose, sort of........:lol:

Hillary will win tomorrow, but she won't have that 20% lead she had 3 weeks ago in PA.

At the end of the day, no politican can be worse than George W. Bush and Dick Chency.

And it's the mainstream media who is playing up this as a soap opera instead of doing their jobs.

As usual.

I'd have a real... giggle if McCain wins the whole thing.

Back