*UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (*spoilers* plz avoid this thread as much as possible)

TDCAU does sound like the studio version on both clips I saw but hey maybe it might be live. It's not oct 28 yet. Just one more week to go

It is the studio version but if you listen really carefully you can hear him sing over the playback-it is not so obvious.

Pre-recorded ??

Sounds live to me.

I'm not entirely convinced. It just sounds too clean, too perfect... Maybe I'm wrong... I can usually spot lip-synching a mile off, but the standard of his live vocals so far in the TII clips are drastically better than anything we've seen from Michael since at least 1991, so it's kinda thrown me off... I'll have to hear more before I can determine either way.

I really hope he doesn't mime most of Man In The Mirror and Earth Song. How amazing would it be to hear these songs live?? Has he ever done MITM fully live?

I'm not entirely convinced. It just sounds too clean, too perfect... Maybe I'm wrong... I can usually spot lip-synching a mile off, but the standard of his live vocals so far in the TII clips is drastically better than anything we've seen from Michael since at least 1991, so it's kinda thrown me off... I'll have to hear more before I can determine either way.

I really hope he doesn't mime most of Man In The Mirror and Earth Song. How amazing would it be to hear these songs live?? Has he ever done MITM fully live?

No you´re right. They don´t care is 100% playback. I mean something different.
Even when MJ is using playback he still is singing the song-and if you listening really carefully you can hear his voice over the playback. But of course the playback is the version we hear real loud.

No, I was talking about TWYMMF. I keep watching that clip, but it sounds as if he's pre-recorded a live vocal to me....

No, I was talking about TWYMMF. I keep watching that clip, but it sounds as if he's pre-recorded a live vocal to me....

I know what you mean you get the feeling because

1. the performance is edited together from different performances.

2. Of course they did something in the studio to the vocals. Do you really believe Kenny did nothing to the live vocals???
Everyone who is releasing a Concert or a live DVD nowdays is "cleaning" the vocals.

Even Prince is doing it "massive" I´ve the bootleg and the official One Nite Alone LIVE CD set from Prince and you can hear that Prince went back in the studio for the offical release-not much of a change but a change.
The only artist I know who is releasing Live Concerts and CDs without studio work is Sananda!!!

Sananda has this disclaimer on his live CDs and DVDs

Disclaimer : This is a real live concert, with no additives or preservatives. ‘mistakes’ have been kept to preserve the authenticity and integrity of the experience. This is not a corporate approved music, proceed with caution if you find this fact disturbing.

you get the feeling because the performance is edited together from different performances.

But that didn't stop Human Nature sounding live.

Of course they did something in the studio to the vocals. Do you really believe Kenny did nothing to the live vocals???
Everyone who is releasing a Concert or a live DVD nowdays is "cleaning" the vocals.

There's clean and then there's immaculate. A live vocal usually sounds a bit rougher around the edges... MJ is dancing all over the place in TWYMMF clip and his voice doesn't falter one bit. With Human Nature you can hear his breathing, the muffled microphone etc, it is very obviously live. TWYMMF sounds too good to be true.

TWYMMF sounds too good to be true.

The Dangerous Rehearsal TWYMMF sounds better and it is 100% live!

Let us wait for the whole TWYMMF This is it performance. If we get to hear the whole performance no one can fool us-we will know if it´s live or not.

Well, we'll know for certain come 28th October. Bring on the live singing. *prays that Earth Song is truly live*

But that didn't stop Human Nature sounding live.

MJ is dancing all over the place in TWYMMF clip and his voice doesn't falter one bit. With Human Nature you can hear his breathing.

It is very common nowdays to take the "heavy breathing" out of the live vocals in the studio.

Again I´ve the bootleg for Beyonce live and the official live dvd. They´ve taken out many "breathing parts". THis is what I call cleaning the voice

The clip is so short, it's hard to tell really. I'm sure we'll discuss it to death once we've seen the whole thing.

What about my question?

Is there a performance of a song without the movie cutting to him wearing different outfits while still performing the song?

TWYMMF is play-back; it's just that the original recording was "deepened", so that it sounds more like MJ's older voice. They did the same thing in 2001 for the MSG shows.

So MkGenie was wrong about TWYMMF : it's not live in the movie (from the excerpt we've seen).

Last edited:
TWYMMF is play-back; it's just that the original recording was "deepened", so that it sounds more like MJ's older voice. They did the same thins in 2001 for the MSG shows.

So MkGenie, if he really is an insider, was wrong about TWYMMF : it's not live in the movie (from the excerpt we've seen).

Who knows. He might have thought that it was live at the time.

The Dangerous Rehearsal TWYMMF sounds better and it is 100% live!

Let us wait for the whole TWYMMF This is it performance. If we get to hear the whole performance no one can fool us-we will know if it´s live or not.

Dangerous rehearsal was more than sixteen years ago.
I dont believe that they fixed the breath thing ,
I think some parts are live, Thats probably what confused mkgenie.http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/member.php?u=674

TWYMMF is play-back; it's just that the original recording was "deepened", so that it sounds more like MJ's older voice. They did the same thing in 2001 for the MSG shows.

So MkGenie was wrong about TWYMMF : it's not live in the movie (from the excerpt we've seen).

It is not the original recording!! What ears do you have???

It is either prerecorded with new live vocals or it is live but it is 100% not the original Bad album vocal!!

I think you're right, it sound like the same effect they used for MSG.

It's definately not a live vocal.

It is either prerecorded with new live vocals or it is live but it is 100% not the original Bad album vocal!!

:clapping:

we heard him singing it live from outside remember -''give in to meeeeeeeeeyyy give in to meyyy!'' you know how many times they'll have rehearsed the song.. probs somtimes it was live sometimes it wasn't.

iv just listened to another TWYMMF clip from one of the dancers and it sounded live to me. you can hear his breath, he loses his breath slightly in parts and when he pronounces a 'p' you can hear how it hits the mic.

why's it so hard to believe that Michael was able to sing a couple lines of his own song live? you think its too good to be live, would u only believe it was live if it was crap? what low expectations ppl have. give him credit.

like arty said its 100% not the original recording

One thing I noted is that Michael IS singing They Dont Care About Us, But over playback vocals

Yep you´re right. I´ve burned all the trailers on DVD and played it on my High Def Stereo System you can hear him sing over the playback vocals!!!

Yep.

Thank you, thats what I said at the time.. and everyone disagreed.

Perhaps people expect the worst or perhaps some ppl have better hearing than others.. or perhaps people know inside info unlike others...

iv just listened to another TWYMMF clip from one of the dancers and it sounded live to me. you can hear his breath, he loses his breath slightly in parts and when he pronounces a 'p' you can hear how it hits the mic.

Can you post the link here? :)

No Dirty Diana
||||||||||||my god...........i want to see dirty diana!!!!!sony!!!

I want to believe you : I'm the second-biggest fan of live vocals on this board, after you! :) But it REALLY does sound like the original recording, although deepened electronically. Now, there is a fan-made AUDIO recording, of a different rehearsal, where he does sing live TWYMMF. So maybe we'll be lucky and some part of the TWYMMF performance will be live in the movie.

Then why is a a part where hi is not singing on TWWMF if it's playback? On the long trailer where he is with the girl at one point he sings

"the way you make me feeel"
(chorus)
"nothng"
(chorus: you really turn me on)
"nothing"
(you knock me on my feet)

See what i'm talking about? rewatch it if needed But i do belive it's live and edited afterwards

Back